| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5549 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195 ... 222  Next
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:52 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

The fact that they get grimmer is one of the reasons they become so good, imo.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:34 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Hoodwinked wrote:
Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets.
it's ok. I don't think I like the way she writes. And I am so tired of her overuse of everyone (particularly Ron) blushing bright red.
Not sure if I want to continue with the series. I might just watch the movies.

Is this blasphemy?

it's not blasphemy, but the books do get a little more adult as they go on. the first two are definitely kids books. I've read them all 5 times or so and right now i'm listening to them all on audiobook (the stephen fry version). i love love love them, but if they aren't your cup of tea, i wouldn't continue because it really is a big investment. the movies are good, but after movie 3, they don't do the books justice at all.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:42 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I finished Gone Girl. I actually really got into it after about the first 1/4. But I was so, so disappointed in the ending. I really didn't like it. And I'm still not sure if I actually liked the book overall - the main characters remained immensely unlikable, even if it was a page-turner (or -clicker, as the case may be with e-books). But I'm kinda curious to see what they do with the film.

Not sure what I'll read next - maybe The Ocean at the End of the Lane.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:54 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Douglas Preston's Impact is a Kindle Daily Deal today. It is well worth the $2.99 if you want a thrill ride of a book. The science is generally sound, and Preston's plots are usually pretty ingenious. I loved it. (I usually prefer the books he writes with Lincoln Child, but give me a geology angle in a good thriller, and I'm in love)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:00 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Has anybody read this (or anything else) by Oliver Potzsch?

http://www.amazon.com/The-Ludwig-Conspiracy-Oliver-Pötzsch-ebook/dp/B00AXS6BEI/ref=pd_sim_kstore_5

This sounds right up my alley, and I'm very tempted! but it's $15. Ouch! I lived in Bavaria and remember visiting the castles. I still have little porcelain swans on my bookshelf from Neuschwenstein.

I'll be at the hospital most of the day tomorrow, so I need a good distraction. A thriller of some sort would probably be best.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:21 pm 
Hip Goiter

forking a. forking a. I finished 'Me Before You'. Oh man. It was great. I finished it on the train to work this morning, and then for 6 hours at work I just sat there thinking about it and crying (thank god I have a door). Then I finally was able to work for a few hours, and then on the train home I reread the ending and cried more. fork. It's so moving and interesting, because even though you hate what's happening, you can't really say you'd want anything else to happen.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:00 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just finished The Ocean at the End of the Lane. I really liked it.

No idea what I'm reading next - maybe Sandman Slim or Nothing to Envy. I've caught up with my goal, so I can read something that takes a bit more time.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:07 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

The Man Who Sold the World: David Bowie and the 1970s. So far it's interesting. Not sure if it remain interesting when it begins song analysis, something I did not know it did when I checked it out of the library.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:56 am 
Dildo Queen

i fnished MaddAddam...it was forking great. i cried. i'm sad it's over. i am really missing that book right now. it's 4am i should be sitting up in bed reading it, but i am now empty and searching for love on the internet.

though i was working through the narnia series before i picked it up, so perhaps i will continue with that. onto book 5, Voyage of the Dawn Treader

and Morrissey's autobiography! have to read it in pieces though..so very tedious...so very dismal....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:58 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

January 23rd London Review of Books ... received a subscription for my birthday ...

http://www.lrb.co.uk/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:02 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Hoodwinked wrote:
it's ok. I don't think I like the way she writes. And I am so tired of her overuse of everyone (particularly Ron) blushing bright red.

Is this blasphemy?

I was very happy when I finished the last Harry Potter book because I was so done with it. I don't like them and there are so many things about her world that I find disturbing or annoying. Everyone else seems to love them, though (which is why I forced myself to read all of them).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:48 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I'm about 3/4 of the way through the fault in our stars...feels like a train wreck though, because I know it's going to have this horrible depressing tear jerker of an ending, and I was able to stop just long enough to write this post....but I know I'll go right back to it and be devestated when it ends...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:56 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

semiautomatic wrote:

though i was working through the narnia series before i picked it up, so perhaps i will continue with that. onto book 5, Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Yay! That's my favourite of the series. Or no, maybe it's a tie with The Horse and His Boy.

I finished Reamde. It was mostly a real page-turner although I felt the action was difficult to follow towards the end, and the ending was a bit wishy-washy compared to the rest of the book. I'd probably give it 7.5/10.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:01 pm 

jerusalemboheme6 wrote:
I'm about 3/4 of the way through the fault in our stars...feels like a train wreck though, because I know it's going to have this horrible depressing tear jerker of an ending, and I was able to stop just long enough to write this post....but I know I'll go right back to it and be devestated when it ends...

I was the same, I read the last half all in one go

π

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:48 pm 

Star wrote:
I started reading The Perks Of Being A Wallflower. I'm not sure about it. I don't think I like the way its written

I happily admit to being wrong about this book. It was fantastic.

π

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:50 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Hoodwinked wrote:

Is this blasphemy?

At least read the third book. The first two I can take or leave, but Prisoner of Azkaban is so good.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:07 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Though it stresses me out some, this is a great book. I thought it might be a bit touchy feely or weird 12-step-y, but it's a very interesting look at the neurobiological and epigenitic bases of addiction. Very enlightening.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:58 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Finished Sandman Slim - I really liked it, and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:02 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

jordanpattern wrote:

Though it stresses me out some, this is a great book. I thought it might be a bit touchy feely or weird 12-step-y, but it's a very interesting look at the neurobiological and epigenitic bases of addiction. Very enlightening.

I loved this book. I went to see him speak in NYC.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:20 pm 

Just finished "We need new names" by Noviolet Bulawayo.
I found it quite hard going in places & often had to force myself to read it. There were some interesting chapters but it didn't realy live up to my expectations.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:30 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Monkey on a Stick: Murder, Madness, and the Hare Krishnas.

What can I say, I enjoy a good book on fringe religion. I've recently devoured Beyond Belief by Jenna Miscavige-Hill (about Scientology's SeaOrg) and of course Jon Krakauer's supremely excellent Under the Banner of Heaven (about fundamentalist Mormonism) is a well-thumbed staple in my library. One Thousand Souls, about the People's Temple and the Jonestown tragedy, was my birthday present from my boyfriend. He knows the way to my heart!

What did you think of this book? My former step-dad sent it to me when I told him I didn't know about the criminal activity that went down at the Palace of Gold. It was really interesting to me because I lived my whole life up until 10 years ago about 30 minutes from the Palace of Gold, and I have no idea about anything.

I was discussing this book over Thanksgiving with someone, and it was interesting to hear his perspective because I guess there was a Krishna-core scene that some of his friends were into and they'd go for free food. I don't remember, but I don't think that's mentioned in the book? I think it drops off at the early 90s, but it's been a while.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:47 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I'm so happy I finally finished slogging through "The Orchardist" and now I can read something else.

I'd love to read something New Orleans based because I'm going on trip there soon. I was thinking "The Moviegoer" or "Island Beneath the Sea". Does anyone have recommendations?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:18 am 
Level 7 Vegan

jordanpattern wrote:

Such an amazing book- really helped my social work practice and myself as a person. I've met Gabor at the 2011 DPA conference.....he's an interesting fellow for sure. "When the body says no" is also very good.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:56 am 

Reading for work rather than pleasure, but last week I read The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho which I absolutely hated and a Swedish book called Resan som började med ett slut (the voyage that started with an end, about a boy who, with his family. flees to Sweden from Bosnia in the early 90s) by Zulmir Bečević, which was OK.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:11 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I read Fahrenheit 451 and was so dissapointed. I though it would be as good as Animal Farm or something like that but it was so badly written!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5549 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195 ... 222  Next