| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196 ... 220  Next
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:26 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm reading Nothing to Envy, and it's really good so far.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:32 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm reading The Painted Girls. It's okay so far. It's about poor girls and ballet and Degas. (One is a model for him.) The David Bowie book I just finished reading was interesting but I skipped the parts about song structure because I don't have any background in music so they meant nothing to me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:01 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Starting Memories of Ice by Steven Erikson. Book three in Malazan Book of the Fallen. The second book was great and I've heard the third is equally good. The series has been good for filling my GRRM void. Huge world building epics but more typical fantasy than Martin.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:58 pm 
Tofu Pup

I'm a bit late to it but I've just finished How To Be a a Woman by Caitlin Moran.

The bits I liked (about 60% of it) I really enjoyed, the rest I either skimmed through or got a bit bored by.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:16 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I finished the newest Michael Connelly a few days ago, The Gods of Guilt. I like Connelly and I enjoy the Mickey Haller (Lincoln Lawyer) books, but this one just seemed like a phone in. The whole plot was basically laid out by chapter 2, including who did it and why. This can work in some books, but this one never got much suspense or urgency going. John Sandford has written a couple good ones where the plot was Lucas Davenport chasing a known villain, and it really works.

It wasn't a bad book, but I didn't need to pay new release prices for it. It just didn't have any of the depth or layering of the Harry Bosch books (the last Bosch, The Black Box, was great). I also really missed LA not being almost a central character.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:38 am 
Huffs Nooch

I spent most of the weekend cuddled up with my cat and my kindle reading the Divergent series. The first one is the best and they definitely go a bit downhill from there, but I'm halfway through book 3 and still pretty resentful that I'm at work now and can't continue until at least tonight, so that's a compliment.

I'm pretty sure they're written for young adults, but still fun for young-at-heart adults as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:18 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I just finished Columbine by Dave Cullen. What a weird place to be in for a couple of weeks, like easily one of the best books I've read in years while also being horrifying and depressing and I could barely put it down. Now what do I do with myself? Something light. No more blood. Where's my Gossip Girl?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:24 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I've just finished Children of the Revolution by Peter Robinson (crime/police procedural). It's one of his Inspector Banks books and although the plots are always good, what I like best about them is the characterisation. Even very minor characters are always very believable and three dimensional.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:41 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Music at Midnight: The Life and Poetry of George Herbert ...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:09 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

jerusalemboheme6 wrote:
I spent most of the weekend cuddled up with my cat and my kindle reading the Divergent series. The first one is the best and they definitely go a bit downhill from there, but I'm halfway through book 3 and still pretty resentful that I'm at work now and can't continue until at least tonight, so that's a compliment.

I'm pretty sure they're written for young adults, but still fun for young-at-heart adults as well.

I took the afternoon off work to finish the third book and really enjoyed it. The second was mediocre though

π

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:19 pm 

I just finished Jennifer Saunders autobiography - really enjoyed it, one of the best I have read in the last few years.

I'm now reading The Panopticon by Jenni Fagan

π

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:52 pm 

I have started Oh Dear Silvia by Dawn French, mainly because there is nothing else in the house and it was leant to me by a good friend who said it was "funny, sad and moving". It is none of these things: it is AWFUL*. I am on page 35 and may have to break my "give it 50 pages before you give up" rule.

*and I mean really awful.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:46 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm reading Visions in Death, the next-for-me JD Robb book.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:11 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

That was a good one. Top ten, I think.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:03 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Fee wrote:
Now what do I do with myself? Something light. No more blood. Where's my Gossip Girl?

I'm there too actually! My sensitivity seems ridiculous right now. When I finished The Fault in Our Stars (which I didn't find depressing, just beautiful) I sped through Brain On Fire on a ferry (someone left a copy on the seat!) and it seriously disturbed me. Normally I love the disturbing shiitake when it is done well but I wasn't prepared for this onslaught of a real life story about one of my greatest fears.

I have a tonne of books to read that I'm really excited about but I think I need something right now with a little bit more positivity. I can't really get myself to swallow the Eckhart Tolle or even the Gabor Mate kind of thing so recommendations for well-written novels that will leave me pleasantly calm and impressed are much appreciated! I even reread my novel for editing purposes and it left me too depressed, and that came from MY MIND. Right now all I seem able to do to relax is speed through seasons of Downton Abbey.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:47 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Star wrote:
jerusalemboheme6 wrote:

I took the afternoon off work to finish the third book and really enjoyed it. The second was mediocre though

I was really kind of disappointed in the 3rd book. I'm wondering if reading those extra 0.1 Four's version bits would make up for it, but I don't know. I had to re-read the first 2 because I had no idea what was going on when I went to start the 3rd, and I just didn't like it as much the second time through. It felt a bit more moralistically heavy-handed?

I'm reading The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches (Flavia de Luce, #6) by Alan Bradley now, and I'm enjoying it, but I don't know. I'm still a bit sad about it, too. Maybe I need a Gossip Girl hit as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:52 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I just finished Das Boot, which I loved but it was really intense, and I can't decide whether to find a fluffy book to take a breather with or whether I should start Roots. I bought it a month ago and its been staring at me ever since.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:37 am 
Huffs Nooch

ndpittman wrote:
Star wrote:
jerusalemboheme6 wrote:

I was really kind of disappointed in the 3rd book. I'm wondering if reading those extra 0.1 Four's version bits would make up for it, but I don't know. I had to re-read the first 2 because I had no idea what was going on when I went to start the 3rd, and I just didn't like it as much the second time through. It felt a bit more moralistically heavy-handed?

I totally agree on the morally heavy-handed...by the end I felt like I'd accidentally tripped and fallen into a late 80s sitcom where ever chapter had to have a poetic, life-lesson that was shoved at you so hard it knocked you over. She definitely ended up preachy...too bad.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:40 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I'm happily reading through the entire Sandman series by Neil Gaiman again :) (Actually, I only read books 1-9 before as I split up with my partner who had the whole collection before I got to number 10; it turned out in the end that that was the only sad thing for me out of the whole end of that relationship!)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:43 pm 
Tofu Pup

PrairyErth by William Least Heat Moon

This book is a deep map of one Chase County, in the Flint Hills of Kansas. Mr. Least heat Moon gives an in-depth look at the landscape, the history and the people of one very rural county. He is one of my favorite writers because of his penchant of storytelling and providing natural history of the places he explores. I also highly recommend 'Blue Highways' and 'River Horse.'

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:17 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I think I need Stephanie Plum.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:18 pm 

I'm between books now. I just read "Laura" by Donald Zochert, which has left me with a crazy urge to re-read the entire Little House Series.

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:34 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I was going to start with One for the Money, but I think I'm going straight for the Ranger books.

Does anybody else read Evanovich? I've lost track of the series for a few years, but goofball fun is what I need now. I'm a Ranger fan. My mom read them too, but she preferred Morelli, which makes no sense since Ranger is practically Batman.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:11 am 

Bird Nerd wrote:
PrairyErth by William Least Heat Moon

This book is a deep map of one Chase County, in the Flint Hills of Kansas. Mr. Least heat Moon gives an in-depth look at the landscape, the history and the people of one very rural county. He is one of my favorite writers because of his penchant of storytelling and providing natural history of the places he explores. I also highly recommend 'Blue Highways' and 'River Horse.'

I read Blue Highways in college and really enjoyed it. I will check the library for the others!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:37 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

lavawitch wrote:
I was going to start with One for the Money, but I think I'm going straight for the Ranger books.

Does anybody else read Evanovich? I've lost track of the series for a few years, but goofball fun is what I need now. I'm a Ranger fan. My mom read them too, but she preferred Morelli, which makes no sense since Ranger is practically Batman.

I read the first 18 or so, but then got sick of it. I just don't like some of the characters! I am a Ranger fan, definitely. He could do so much better than Stephanie though...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196 ... 220  Next