| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5561 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197 ... 223  Next
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:33 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'm reading Far From the Tree, on the recommendation of someone on the ppk. So far it is very good.

"forking vegans" ~~linanil

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:29 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I finished Panopticon, several times during the first hundred pages I considered abandoning it but I'm glad I didn't, I really enjoyed the last 150 pages.

Currently reading Books by Charlie Hill

π

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:37 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm reading Reamde by Neal Stephenson. So far I'm not really into it so I might start the next In Death book, Survivor in Death.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:46 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Invictus wrote:
I'm reading Far From the Tree, on the recommendation of someone on the ppk. So far it is very good.

Ooh, I've been meaning to read this one.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:20 pm 
Tofu Pup

The Lucifer Effect by Philip Zimbardo.
I find it incredibly fascinating.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:47 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm reading "American on purpose" by Craig Ferguson.

ashley wrote:
I have never thought "This coffee is okay, but it would be better if it were oily."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:53 am 
Impressive boner

'Afraid' by Jack Kilbourn.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:19 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just finished Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. I knew going in (because I read the intro) that it started out as a TV series, but I didn't IMDb it until after I finished the book. When I pictured the Marquis de Carabas in my head, I saw the actor who played him before knowing who actually played him. I quite liked the book, though there were parts that made me squeamish (like descriptions of Mr Vandemar eating). I'm gonna have to call myself a Neil Gaiman fan, because I've liked everything I've read by him.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:56 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk by Legs McNeil and Gillian McCain. better late than never.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:32 pm 

rachell37 wrote:
I just finished Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. I knew going in (because I read the intro) that it started out as a TV series, but I didn't IMDb it until after I finished the book. When I pictured the Marquis de Carabas in my head, I saw the actor who played him before knowing who actually played him. I quite liked the book, though there were parts that made me squeamish (like descriptions of Mr Vandemar eating). I'm gonna have to call myself a Neil Gaiman fan, because I've liked everything I've read by him.

I quite enjoyed the (star studded) BBC radio play last year. I haven't seen the TV series but after checking IMDb I had to laugh a little at the fact that Islington was played by Peter Capaldi in the TV series and by Benedict Cumberbatch in the radio version.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:54 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

fruitbat wrote:
rachell37 wrote:

I quite enjoyed the (star studded) BBC radio play last year. I haven't seen the TV series but after checking IMDb I had to laugh a little at the fact that Islington was played by Peter Capaldi in the TV series and by Benedict Cumberbatch in the radio version.

I quite liked the idea of Peter Capaldi as Islington, but Cumberbatch would've been perfect (though obviously too young when it was actually filmed). Too bad the radio play wasn't an updated TV series. And James McAvoy as Richard seems a good choice (voice-wise - when I read the description of the character, I kinda pictured a Scottish Neil Gaiman); I don't even know who the guy is who played him in the series, but he's played Paul McCartney twice, so he sounds a bit iffy.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:55 pm 

rachell37 wrote:

I read the book years ago and loved it, I have had the series on DVD for about 18 months but have not managed to watch it yet.
I must watch it soon!

π

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:48 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Just started "The sweetness at the bottom of the pie", like the style, will probably get all the other books too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:48 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Anek wrote:
Just started "The sweetness at the bottom of the pie", like the style, will probably get all the other books too.

I just finished the latest in the Flavia de Luce series, The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches. It seems like it's kind of a bridge or a transitional book, but it did make me very interested to see where the series goes.

Now I'm reading The Goldfinch and The Element. I wasn't interested in The Goldfinch at first, and it's my first Donna Tart book, but it's suddenly gotten fascinating. It's amazing what a nice bit of action does to shake things up. I'm loving The Element because I'm on a big Ken Robinson kick. He gave a speech at my company's national sales meeting that was riveting, so now I've watched all his TED talks and bought three of his books!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:06 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I read Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke over the weekend, I thought it was fantastic, I've been thinking about it since. Now I'm reading The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell which is good so far but they tell you at the beginning everything is going to go very tragically for the main characters so I'm super nervous for them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:33 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Just posted this on the nonfiction thread, but turns out that the Far From the Tree recommendation came from this thread. Anyway, it's so interesting!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:46 pm 
Hail Seitan!

Started "Beautiful You: a Daily Guide to Radical Self-Acceptance" by Rosie Molinary.

Edit: Damn, I'm in the wrong thread, aren't I? We can't delete our own posts? Sigh.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:15 pm 

lavawitch wrote:
Has anybody read this (or anything else) by Oliver Potzsch?

http://www.amazon.com/The-Ludwig-Conspiracy-Oliver-Pötzsch-ebook/dp/B00AXS6BEI/ref=pd_sim_kstore_5

This sounds right up my alley, and I'm very tempted! but it's $15. Ouch! I lived in Bavaria and remember visiting the castles. I still have little porcelain swans on my bookshelf from Neuschwenstein.

I just got this out of the library. I'll let you know what I think.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:42 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

My husband and I read each other The Cats of Tanglewood Forest last night in bed. The writing is awful but the story is great and the illustrations are so exciting. We both felt about five years old sitting cross legged on the bed and showing each other the pictures. It was a refreshing reading experience, since disturbing stuff is uncharacteristically getting to me these days. Which is why I'm now laughing through A User's Guide To Neglectful Parenting.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:14 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

When Will There Be Good News? - Kate Atkinson ... I love her books.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:15 am 

I finished "Books" - it was excellent.

Just started Butterfly Winter by WP Kinsella.
I like his work but have to gloss over all the Baseball details as they are a foreign language to me!

π

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:59 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just started Company of Liars (set at the start of the plague in England).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:15 pm 
Hip Goiter

I read Lauren Graham's book Someday Someday Maybe and I really enjoyed it. It's fun and you start picturing the main character as Lorelai. Really fun. And it got 1990s NYC down really well.

Then I read Eleanor & Park and I kind of loved it. It was simple but it made me happy, especially when I was sick in bed.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:45 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Orlando by Virginia Woolf. I had no idea it would be about a man traveling through time from the 16th century to the 1920s. Now I want to read all of her books.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:55 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I just finished A High Wind in Jamaica, by Richard Hughes, which I absolutely loved. Peter Pan but without Peter - a group of children are kidnapped by pirates. So fantastic. Hilariously innocent and gravely dark at times.

Halfway through The Perfect Scent, which is a glimpse into the perfume industry. Pretty interesting, though I do feel there's a lot of filler. We'll see!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5561 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197 ... 223  Next