| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5479 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200 ... 220  Next
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:39 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Just finished Fingerprints of You, which I enjoyed a lot, and still flipping through Far From the Tree.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:42 pm 
Nailed to the V

Tofulish wrote:
oddspongeout wrote:
I am now reading The Time Traveler's Wife. So far I'm calling "meeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh."

Oh man, I loved that book. It took a while for me to get into it though. If you persevere, I hope you like it!

Here's hoping! I was put off by the first chapter (and the laughable descriptions of erections), but it's getting better.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:14 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

oddspongeout wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
oddspongeout wrote:
I am now reading The Time Traveler's Wife. So far I'm calling "meeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh."

Oh man, I loved that book. It took a while for me to get into it though. If you persevere, I hope you like it!

Here's hoping! I was put off by the first chapter (and the laughable descriptions of erections), but it's getting better.

I was also meh when I started it, and finished it crying. Keep on!

I'm re-reading the Sookie Stackhouse series before continuing with the Flavia De Luce one.

Don't you hate it when you buy the first book of a series to see if you like it, and then you like it, and you want to buy the rest of the serie, and the only paperbacks available are from a different publisher than the first book and then they don't fit together size- & cover color-wise? I'm looking at you, Flavia.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:45 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Yes, I hate that! I have been known to rebuy books by my favorite authors so that they match (or scrounge up nice looking used copies). I did that with Elizabeth Peters and Dickens or other classics so I had all lovely Penguin black spines lined up. I put it in the "decorating" budget category.

Stuff like that makes me realize what a relief ebooks have been. I no longer think about stuff like that, and I have floor space now. And room on my bedside table for stuff like a glass of water. And leaving the house isn't a chore fraught with peril because what if I go out with the wrong book?!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:06 pm 
Saggy Butt

just finished reading stiff, by mary roach. it was interesting, but i feel like parts of it jumped around a lot when she was providing history/background on some topics. it kinda made me bummed that budget cuts/program restructuring at my uni meant that i missed two opportunities for cadaver dissection (anatomy for artists was cut and pre-med physiology only had a lab component for pre-med students, while i was in neuroscience - hooray for totally disparate double majors) and then i wonder why i am bummed in the first place, cause cadaver dissection is pretty weird if you think about it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:53 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

lavawitch wrote:
And leaving the house isn't a chore fraught with peril because what if I go out with the wrong book?!

As I left the house this morning with a backpack for four days I did briefly consider an e-book. I took three books on top of the one I am currently reading just in case I finish more than one. But they didn't fit in my bag, so I left one at home. I really hope I don't read too fast this weekend!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:32 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Marion Zimmer Bradley, The Mists of Avalon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:27 pm 

Oh man I love MZB.

I'm reading The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins and I am super ambivalent about it.

Mostly because I bought Kate Atkinson's Life After Life last week and I want to cozy up in bed and read it, but I feel like I can't until I finish this stupid wilkie collins book.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:32 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just started reading The Shining Girls (murder and time travel - how can I go wrong?). There's already been a part that made me squirmy, which is unusual considering how much I like true crime books. I hope it's as good as I've been lead to believe.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:46 pm 

I really liked the shining girls, but yeah, I got a little squirmy a few times. I'm super squeamish, though.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:49 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Just finished The Kill Room by Jeffrey Deaver, which was excellent, lots of satisfying twists and turns.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:23 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Just finished The Shining Girls. It was really good, which may be obvious from the fact that I read it in just over a day. There were a couple of bits that were kinda icky (and some animal cruelty that was more disturbing than the descriptions of people being disemboweled), but mostly nothing worse than any other crime novel I've read. I would recommend it (unless you can't handle disemboweling).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:02 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Reading "Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore," which started off well but is losing my interest a little (everyone's a quirky! genius!), we'll see if it picks back up.

Also started "The Tigress of Forli," a biography of Caterina Sforza. So far it's making me feel like I haven't studied nearly enough history, but in a good motivating way.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:01 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin. I just started so I don't know if I'm going to like it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:25 am 
Grandfathered In

Just finished The Dark Road, by Ma Jian, a novel about Chinese peasants tormented by the one child policy. It was brutal and weird and hopeful and heart-breaking.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:31 am 
Saggy Butt

I'm about 150 pages into The Owl Killers by Karen Maitland. So far I'm loving it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:01 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

FootFace wrote:
Just finished The Dark Road, by Ma Jian, a novel about Chinese peasants tormented by the one child policy. It was brutal and weird and hopeful and heart-breaking.

That's been on my to-read list for a while. I loved Red Dust but I found The Noodle Maker way too brutal so I keep putting it back to the bottom of the pile.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:10 am 
Grandfathered In

I might have to read Red Dust.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:48 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I might have to read EVERYTHING JACK VANCE HAS EVER WRITTEN.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:59 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'm reading Words of Radiance, the just-released sequel to Way of Kings. It's sooo good, guys! I love fantasy with strong female protagonists, minimal objectification of women, and no battle of the sexes crepe. I mean I loved the wheel of time series, but it was just so full of women being annoyed by "things men do" and vice versa. Blech.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:05 pm 
Nailed to the V

Finished The Time Traveler's Wife, was pleasantly surprised. Read and enjoyed Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok - will probably not read again, but it was cute. Working my way through Naked by David Sedaris and A Midsummer Night's Dream (for class). Loving Naked. Wanting to retroactively murder Shakespeare for writing so many damn characters.

I understand it's not his fault. He didn't write his plays imagining high school and college students reading them as literature. They're supposed to be ACTED. With ACTION, it's easier to tell who's who. Dialogue prefaced by a character's name. . . That's not what he intended.
Doesn't make me less frustrated.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:26 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I finished Garnethill last night. I really liked it. It was pretty bleak, but I liked that it's set in Glasgow and has a female protagonist (who seemed more capable than the cops). I've put the rest of the books in the series, as well as the first of the author's other series, in my reading list.

I started reading Life After Life today. The cover kept putting me off*, but it was on a list of great books from 2013 by female authors, and I got it cheap in a Kindle sale. I actually really like it so far.

*And this is something that really peeves me, the thing about novels written by women being given really feminine/girly covers regardless of the content.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:53 pm 
Chip Strong

I finished The Lost Hero last night by Rick Riordan. I fear I am getting dragged back into Percy Jacksons world.

I have now started The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman. I read the full series in 2004/5 and reread Northern Lights in 2007/8 but I am overdue to finish the series.

π

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:06 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Aaand I've finished Life After Life. I really liked it, though there were some uncomfortable parts.* I thought the end dragged on a bit, but that was my only major criticism. OK, that and the whole exaltation of motherhood thing that they did in several parts (though it did start in 1910). Overall, very good, would recommend.

Spoiler: show
The bit where she's impregnated during a rape and ends up with the really abusive guy, I kept wishing she'd die again because it was so horrible.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:57 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

So I finished 1Q84, loved it. I wanted to start reading another, so I went to the library and asked a librarian that seemed friendly what are some of favorite books, and she looked at me like I was crazy! She didn't seem to want to answer. :/ Eventually she just said 'well the last book I read was 'Cloud Atlas'. Well, not sure if that meant it was a glowing recommendation or not, but ah well, I went with it, and after the first few pages I'm so not into it. I hate giving up on a book, and it's quite possible I'm actually just reading the Epilogue, it's set up journal-entry style, and I don't know. Hmm. Anyone here read Cloud Atlas? Like it?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5479 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200 ... 220  Next