| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5327 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206 ... 214  Next
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:35 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

My book club is reading love in the time of cholera.

I'm reading game of thrones. I like game of thrones more.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:45 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Love in the Time of Cholera is one of my favorite books! Do you not like it at all?

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:49 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

fruitbat wrote:
Trying to finish a Swedish crime novel (Inner Circle by Mari Jungstedt) but I find myself irrationally irritated by it. Why is this woman so prized? I've read one of her books before and while I mostly enjoyed reading about one of my favourite places I don't remember it being this bad. The police should just talk to an archaeologist already. Gah. Only 150 pages to go.

So, this book was clearly not written for Swedish readers. Perhaps this irked me more than it should. At first I let the overzealous location descriptions slide because I realise that I'm more familiar with the island (and archaeology for that matter) than the average reader would be, but halfway through it started to read like something from the tourist board. A thoroughly unsatisfying read that was heavy-handed, unconvincing, and sometimes downright cringeworthy. The extreme stereotyping evident in the description of people also means that the view of Americans was particularly atrocious. I do not recommend it in the least.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:57 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Reading some of the Nero Wolfe mysteries, really nice. I need to get my hands on the remaining tons though.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:12 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

VeganinBerlin wrote:
Not sure what choice you mean. I thought it was a bit.. lazy maybe... that every 200 pages someone he cares about dies and then he has to react to the death..

Spoiler: show
When he goes off to get the painting in Amsterdam. I mean he was relieved he didn't have it anymore so why go off like that?

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:37 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

blondiefk wrote:
Love in the Time of Cholera is one of my favorite books! Do you not like it at all?

So far I just feel like it's really plodding along and the story isn't compelling. I'm guessing my problem is that I don't enjoy love stories, because every book my book club has picked like this that centers around relationships, I just can't get into. That's fine, that's why I get the audiobook!

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:35 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Just finished Aloha from Hell (Sandman Slim #3). I think it's been my favourite SS book so far. This one was so vivid - I found it really easy to visualise the scenes (which I can't really describe without spoiling it) and just kept thinking, this would make the coolest forking movie*. I immediately started reading book 4 but just realised that the short story I have is 3.5, so I'm going back to that before I carry on with 4.

*If they made it exactly like the book, which of course would never happen. They'd probably get Tom Cruise or The Rock to play Sandman Slim (at both 19 and 30). But I'd be OK if they got Idris Elba to play Mr Munnin.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:56 pm 
Nailed to the V

couroupita wrote:
So far I just feel like it's really plodding along and the story isn't compelling. I'm guessing my problem is that I don't enjoy love stories, because every book my book club has picked like this that centers around relationships, I just can't get into.

Love in the Time of Cholera is one of my faves too. My memory of it is that it represented so many different ways that love is manifested between a couple throughout the course of a relationship...I found it fascinating and I love the flow of his writing. If your not into love stories, I can see how you wouldn't get into it

Last edited by Jonny Guitar on Wed May 14, 2014 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:01 pm 
Nailed to the V

Anek wrote:
Reading some of the Nero Wolfe mysteries, really nice. I need to get my hands on the remaining tons though.

I know it isn't reading but OTR has a bunch of Nero Wolfe radio dramas from the 1940's which are highly entertaining. https://archive.org/details/NeroWolfe and https://archive.org/details/OTRR_New_Adventures_of_Nero_Wolfe_Singles. Good for commuting or vacuuming and stuff.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:38 am 

Jonny Guitar wrote:
Anek wrote:

I know it isn't reading but OTR has a bunch of Nero Wolfe radio dramas from the 1940's which are highly entertaining. https://archive.org/details/NeroWolfe and https://archive.org/details/OTRR_New_Adventures_of_Nero_Wolfe_Singles. Good for commuting or vacuuming and stuff.

Oh cool, thanks!

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:52 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I read Hyperbole in a Half finally and I wish there was more. Very few book actually make me laugh out loud but Jeez, the antics of the simple dog and the helper dog is just too much.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:44 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Chickpea wrote:
VeganinBerlin wrote:
Not sure what choice you mean. I thought it was a bit.. lazy maybe... that every 200 pages someone he cares about dies and then he has to react to the death..

Spoiler: show
When he goes off to get the painting in Amsterdam. I mean he was relieved he didn't have it anymore so why go off like that?

Yeah, I agree, that was weird.

I just read J.K. Rowling's mystery novel and it was very entertaining but a bit flat... and the ending made no sense, i n my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:09 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I started reading Jo Nesbo's latest book, The Son. I'm only one chapter in so I don't have much of an impression yet.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:30 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Seven hours of train journeying and an hour of waiting for one of them meant that I was able to finish Devil Said Bang (Sandman Slim #4) yesterday. Each one is better than the last, but they're all pretty similar so there isn't much I can say about this one that I haven't already said about the others. I bought the next one, but I have to read A Tale for the Time Being for my book club meet-up next week first.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:08 am 

Started "One Summer" by Bill Bryson, so interesting! I love his writing style.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:19 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I've just started Rilla of Ingleside for the first time, even though I've read all the other Anne... books more than once. It's set at the beginning of the first world war.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:28 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

dropscone wrote:
I've just started Rilla of Ingleside for the first time, even though I've read all the other Anne... books more than once. It's set at the beginning of the first world war.

dropscone,

I haven't heard that title in a while.....I'm from PEI so your reply made me smile.

J

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:00 pm 

Right now I'm working on At Home by Bill Bryson which is very interesting and funny. I generally enjoy Bryson and this one in particular I'm really liking. I want to read his Appalachian Trail book but when he's writing about himself he can get a little whiny and annoying.
I'm also reading Shark's Fin and Sichuan Pepper: A Sweet-Sour Memoir of Eating in China by Fuchsia Dunlop. So very not vegan friendly, but super interesting. I really like learning about Asian cuisines and China has so many regional variations.

I'm about halfway through both and need to finish at least one so I can read the last book in the Divergent series.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:46 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Catalina wrote:
I want to read his Appalachian Trail book but when he's writing about himself he can get a little whiny and annoying.

Have to say, I laughed out loud at that book (a lot). I really enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:15 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Yeah, A Walk in the Woods is definitely my favourite Bill Bryson book.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:48 am 

Just finished the universe versus Alex woods. I enjoyed it, but I'm now intrigued to find out more about the books by Kurt Vonnegut which are mentioned during the story. Anyone read them?

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:14 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Chickpea wrote:
Just finished the universe versus Alex woods. I enjoyed it, but I'm now intrigued to find out more about the books by Kurt Vonnegut which are mentioned during the story. Anyone read them?

No but I read the Universe Versus Alex Woods and felt the same way. Next time I see a copy of Slaughterhouse Five I'm going to grab it

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life" Mary Oliver

Goodreads

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 6:09 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Star wrote:
Chickpea wrote:

No but I read the Universe Versus Alex Woods and felt the same way. Next time I see a copy of Slaughterhouse Five I'm going to grab it

I haven't read Universe versus Alex Woods, but I have read a bunch of Vonnegut so possibly? I have read Slaughterhouse Five...

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:00 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I finished A Tale for the Time Being. It wasn't great. I found most of the characters irritating and really didn't care about one of the main story arcs. Through most of the book, it read as realistic/autobiographical fiction, but then flipped to sorta sf/f right near the end. It also felt like the author was trying really hard to make sure we knew she'd read a lot of philosophy (I didn't know until today's book group discussion that she's an ordained Buddhist priest). The Japanese-related stuff (the bits written by Nao, the letters and diary from her family) were interesting, and I would've been happy just reading that on its own without the Ruth/Oliver part barging in and demanding attention.

I'm now reading Meaty by Samantha Irby (bisques Gotta Eat), which is funny as shiitake, as expected, but also kinda poignant in spots.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:36 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

The Geography of Bliss. I'm enjoying it so far. Funny and gives me a couple things to think about

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5327 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206 ... 214  Next