| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207 ... 214  Next
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:42 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

jogirl wrote:
Have to say, I laughed out loud at that book (a lot). I really enjoyed it.

dropscone wrote:
Yeah, A Walk in the Woods is definitely my favourite Bill Bryson book.

Thanks for the reviews, I'm going to pick it up the next time I'm at work.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:04 am 
Nailed to the V

I'm still reading Dorothy L Sayers' Lard Peter Wimsey books. It's the first time I read them in order, and I'm finding I like the later books much better.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:15 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm "rereading" (via audiobook) an old favorite, Dead Sea Cipher by Elizabeth Peters. I always love her books, and this one, while not one of best, is fun. She captures why I love archaeology so much. Now I want to go pull out all my books on the Dead Sea scrolls, biblical archaeology and the Phoenicians.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:21 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I read The Woodcutter, which is set in fairytale land and revolves around the titular Woodcutter going on a quest to save the land from the forces of evil. It sounded a lot better than it was. There was a lot of princess-rescuing. And having re-read the Iron Shoes tale, I realise just how much bullshiitake that tale is*. I guess I was hoping for something a little more progressive, but it was just a repackaging of the same tropes.

Now I'm reading a lovely crime novel, and I feel better.

*Her husband is only human at night, so she ties a golden thread around his ankle to keep him in his human form. He tells her that, if she'd just been patient for three more days, the enchantment would've been broken, but now he has to run away. To get him back and "prover herself worthy", she has to walk to the sun and moon and travel each of the winds (N, S, E, and W), wearing out three pairs of iron shoes and her iron walking stick. Then, once she's done that, she has to sew increasingly large numbers of garments over the course of 3 days, getting to spend the night with her husband each night as payment. But the husband is always asleep until the 3rd night. In this particular version, she's then challenged by the false princess to sleep on a 100-ft tower of mattresses before she wins.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:10 am 

Just finished Allegiant. I'm glad I finished the series but the last book was soo different from the first two and I really did not care for it. There is an excellent review on Amazon that sums up my feelings precisely.

Next I'm on to A Fault In Our Stars which a co-worker convinced me to read so I can go to the movie next week. I watched the trailer tonight and was already teary. The book and movie are going to be to so heartbreaking.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:35 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Catalina wrote:
Just finished Allegiant. I'm glad I finished the series but the last book was soo different from the first two and I really did not care for it. There is an excellent review on Amazon that sums up my feelings precisely.

Next I'm on to A Fault In Our Stars which a co-worker convinced me to read so I can go to the movie next week. I watched the trailer tonight and was already teary. The book and movie are going to be to so heartbreaking.

Be prepared to cry with The Fault in Our Stars.

I received 2 new releases this week (Dangerous Creatures and City of Heavenly Fire). I cant decide which to read first or to rear the next book in the Dark Tower series

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life" Mary Oliver

Goodreads

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:34 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I read We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves: A Novel by Karen Joy Fowler in less than a day and then recommended it to all my vegan friends on goodreads! I thought it was fantastic and that you should all read it without reading anything about it (including the synopsis on the back page)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:02 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I finished Case Histories, which I really liked. I bought the rest of the books in the series to read when I've finished with the last Sandman Slim.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:04 am 

Just getting into Black Swan Green. <3 David Mitchell.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:35 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Just started "Inferno" by Dan Brown. What can I say, I sort of maybe kind of like his books, although I know all the issues they have. Now I feel bad for needing to justify why I read a book.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:23 am 
Flounceiad 2011

alice1drland wrote:
Just getting into Black Swan Green. <3 David Mitchell.
I loved that novel; it was the first book I read for fun after finishing my comps last year, kicking off a summer of guilt-free fiction reading! Talking of which, I'm waiting for my partner to finish Bruce Holsinger's A Burnable Book so I can get at it. I usually avoid historical fiction because it's so often poorly written, researched, and/or just sort of dumb (Hilary Mantel's books being one very notable exception), but Holsinger is a medievalist, and it's had rave reviews from several friends, so I'm prepared to be entertained by this one!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:11 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Finally getting back into reading, some. I just finished The Magician King by Lev Grossman and didn't love it, though. I remember really enjoying The Magicians, but this time around I was annoyed by his rather flippant writing style.

Also, the ending sucked.

So anyway, I kind of picked a book at random off my shelves this morning: One Amazing Thing by Chitra Divakaruni. I know nothing about her other books, and I'm only a few pages in, but so far I already identify with the narrator. I have the feeling that the narration will rotate, this being one of those novels in which there is a natural disaster and a few people are stuck together, telling stories. I like novels like that, though, so we'll see.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:33 pm 
Tofu Pup

Right now I'm reading 'The Year of Pleasures' by Elizabeth Berg. It's not really a book that I would normally read, but once in a while I love those sort of quirky/sappy romance novels. It's a pretty quick read, only 200 pages, and I started it yesterday, and am almost done with it.

I recommend it for a nice summer read.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:27 am 
Nailed to the V

I am reading Sheila Heti's how should a person be and like it so far (still at the very beginning of the book)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:27 am 

I'm re-reading Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice. I'm not enjoying it as much as I remembered :(

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:21 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Finished Inferno. While I loved the story and the issues it raises, I am beginning to dislike the writing style and forced suspense of the whole thing.

Just started Life After Life, it's really good!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:57 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Phoenix Rising by Pip Ballantine and Tee Morris

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:36 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

So, Sandman Slim #5 was great. I love those books. And luckily, a new one is coming out in August. Woot!

Now I'm reading Jackson Brodie #2 - I can't even remember the actual name of the book. It's set in Edinburgh during the Festival so I can actually picture a lot of the locations in my mind. There have been a couple of bits in it that annoyed me (like his relief that his free ticket to the Russian circus wasn't for The Ladyboys of Bangkok). It's also making me anxious about the upcoming festival season - worst time of year (though maybe this year I'll actually go see The Ladyboys of Bangkok).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:35 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I finished reading the 3rd Dark Tower book (the Waste Lands) and I'm starting Dangerous Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl next

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life" Mary Oliver

Goodreads

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:43 am 
Like Anal, But Backwards

Hocus Pocus- Kurt Vonnegut

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:09 pm 
Nailed to the V

Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. I like it except that I find it difficult to follow who is saying what in the dialogues. I don't usually have a problem with that.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:22 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

amonik wrote:
Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. I like it except that I find it difficult to follow who is saying what in the dialogues. I don't usually have a problem with that.

I had the same problem. I had a hard time keeping track of people pretty much until the sequel. But it was still really good.

I finished Jackson Brodie #2 (One Good Turn, as I discovered) and moved on to the next one (When Will There Be Good News?). It was good enough - the series isn't exactly the Millennium Trilogy or A Song of Ice and Fire, but it's entertaining enough to keep reading.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:01 am 

I've just started Dominion by C. J. Sansom.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:55 am 
Nooch of Earl

I've been listening to the audiobook of "Far From the Tree." On the prodigies chapter now. It's a little long-winded, but such a thoughtful and thought-provoking book, not to mention kind of heart-wrenching. And probably should NOT have read the multiple disabilities chapter while in the hospital with a newborn…heh.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:18 am 
Nailed to the V

re-reading the Barsetshire novels by Angela Thirkell ... now on the 4th one August Folly.

Anne

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207 ... 214  Next