| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5419 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210 ... 217  Next
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:05 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Just started Rebel Hearts: Journey's Within the IRA's Soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:07 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Just finished Locke and Key, the whole series of comics by Joe Hill. Good stuff! I was super confused at the end, but I googled what happened and I liked it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:12 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
I really like it so far (but am only on page 106)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:18 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

eight wrote:
Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
I really like it so far (but am only on page 106)

I would love to hear what you think, I've read mixed reviews but I absolutely adored her other books.

pandacookie wrote:
LazySmurf wrote:
I finished "Fairyland a memoir of my father" yesterday. It was about a girl growing up with her gay dad in the 80's in San Francisco. Her mom dies when she's only 2. It was really interesting to read about San Francisco from her perspective as the queer movement coalesces and then later the AIDS epidemic. But it's really a father daughter story. I really liked it.

I saw this on your Goodreads and have it on hold as well. Your goodreads selections are super.

Thanks!!! I feel like I've read some really great books this year.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:32 am 

I'm reading The Hare with Amber Eyes by Edmund de Waal. It's interesting but I've had kind of a hard time getting into it because the last book I finished was And the Band Played On and it's such a mental shift to try to care about this crazy rich family and their bibelots after a book like that.

Plane Queer and Fairlyland are both on my to-read list.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:57 am 

I need a break from A Song of Ice and Fire after only two books! This does not bode well for finishing the series. I've got Neal Stephenson's Reamde waiting. Looking forward to it very much.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:25 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I just started And the Mountains Echoed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:48 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

zwingtip wrote:
blondiefk wrote:
Did anyone one read Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin?

I read that one many many years ago! It was really good! Don't remember anything that happened, but I remember thinking it was amazing and that I wanted to meet that horse. Sorry, rambling.

I thought I didn't like it but after a few days of thinking about it I realize I do. I found parts dull but I loved the images it drew of NYC. And I liked the love stories.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:14 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Deep Storm (the Lincoln Child book) has been pretty entertaining. It is more setting driven (deep undersea high tech classified Navy operation that is using a North Sea oil drilling platform as cover) than action driven. It has turned out to have nothing to do with Atlantis, which was disappointing, but this is made clear early on, just not on the book blurb.

Much better than the ridiculousness of Terminal Freeze. I would,d describe DS as a sort of low key Clive Cussler style novel--nothing to rave about, but a fun way to spend an evening. The audiobook narrator is great. Not as great as Dexter reading about dinosaurs, but what could top that?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:25 pm 

Secret Warriors - Key Scientists, Code-breakers and Propagandists of the Great War - Taylor Downing

My grandfather served in that war ... went to war on a horse!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:40 pm 
Dildo Queen

The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood. it's not my favourite of hers, but it's her only novel i haven't read.

I also have a stack of Vonnegut books to read this summer, which I am excited for :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:11 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

James Bowen, A Street Cat Named Bob

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:52 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I am number four

π

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:52 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

LazySmurf wrote:
I finished "Fairyland a memoir of my father" yesterday. It was about a girl growing up with her gay dad in the 80's in San Francisco. Her mom dies when she's only 2. It was really interesting to read about San Francisco from her perspective as the queer movement coalesces and then later the AIDS epidemic. But it's really a father daughter story. I really liked it.

The Kindle edition of this was ridiculously cheap so I got it. I finished it today and loved it, thanks for the recommendation!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:42 am 
Nooch of Earl

About 1/3 through "Infectious Ideas: U.S. Political Responses to the AIDS Crisis" by Jennifer Brier, which I was inspired to download after it was mentioned in "Plane Queer." It took a while to get into the book because the first pages, at least, read like it was her PhD dissertation (and maybe it was). But I've since been drawn into what's a decent analysis of privilege - in the case of most of the organizations helping do AIDS advocacy and prevention work, one that focused on white middle class gay-identified men, and in the case of certain elements of the Reagan administration, well, the privilege of being totally insulated from reality. (I kid, sort of: I mean upper-middle class, straight, white, male, basically any kind of privilege that exists, privilege.)

Here are some choice bits. Like a lesson on exactly how not to design your study if you want it to be inclusive:

Quote:
In 1984, SFAF hired Research and Decisions Corporation (R and D), a marketing firm run by gay men to research the needs of gay men. Tellingly, the form that R and D's sampling took ensured that self-defined gay men (mostly white) would be surveyed more than others." As a first step, the marketing firm interviewed 500 self-identified homosexually active men on the phone. R and D chose men living in census tracks determined to be "gay" by finding the clusters of the highest number of unmarried male-headed households. R and D assumed that these men would be representative of the just over 69,000 gay or bisexual men it estimated to be living in San Francisco.

And some just flat out infuriating things..

Quote:
In February 1987, President Ronald Reagan required that all funded materials "emphasize local control and encourage responsible sexual behavior based on fidelity, commitment, and maturity, placing sexuality within the context of marriage." These new presidential guidelines, which will be explored in greater detail in the next chapter, provided new censorship powers to community review boards across the country.

Quote:
To that end, Bauer strongly opposed including a gay representative on the commission. He explained to Reagan,
"Those pushing us the hardest to name a homosexual are generally not our friends but rather our opponents. They will not be satisfied with one gay, but rather they will sense that if enough pressure is exerted we will cave on other issues.... While it is true that homosexuals have been major victims of AIDS, they are also responsible for its spread. Recent studies show the average gay man with AIDS has had over 150 different sexual partners in the previous 12 months.... If you feel we must appoint a homosexual, I would recommend a "reformed" homosexual - this is someone not currently living a gay life style."
While Reagan ultimately appointed a gay man to the commission, he initialed the document, suggesting that he had considered Bauer's suggestions.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:50 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

The Last Camel Died at Noon, book six in the Amelia Peabody series.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:48 pm 
WELFARIST!

I'm reading Noah's Turn by Ken Finkelman. I've read half of it so far and have been fairly entertained. I rarely read novel-length fiction so it's been a while since I've read a recent book (written in 2010, I think). Not sure I'd go so far as to give it a resounding recommendation but it's not wasting my time, either. KF is a Cdn television personality and his protagonist in this book really is more of his same cynical schtick in text form, if you like that sort of thing.

Next, I have Cathedral, a book of short stories by Raymond Carver.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:58 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

blondiefk wrote:
The Last Camel Died at Noon, book six in the Amelia Peabody series.

I love this one. It always inspires an H. Rider Haggard binge, plus a marathon of Ursula Andrews movies.

Actually, I love anything Mertz, Peters, Michaels writes. Have you read her nonfiction? They were getting a little outdated (but still good), but I believe she updated them a few years ago. Red Land, Black Land and Tombs, Temples, & Hieroglyphs, both written under her real name, Dr. Barbara Mertz.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:57 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I've only read the Amelia Peabody books. I'd like to try her nonfiction though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:35 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I just got The Kraken Project, by Douglas Preston. It's another wacky science based thriller and has something to do with Titan (Saturn's Moon) and a rogue computer AI. I've learned not to expect these books to actually match the blurbs at all (beyond the first few chapters), so who knows what it is really about.

I've been looking forward to this release.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:58 pm 

I just finished Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. Damn. So depressing! It's an old book, but I'll still put my thoughts in spoilers

Spoiler: show
I just wanted them to run away, dammit, or honestly even kill themelves. I'm not used to reading a book about a dystopia where nothing changes, there's no revolution or at least someone trying to go against the status quo. that depresses me so much!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:07 pm 

ijustdiedinside wrote:
I just finished Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. Damn. So depressing! It's an old book, but I'll still put my thoughts in spoilers

Spoiler: show
I just wanted them to run away, dammit, or honestly even kill themelves. I'm not used to reading a book about a dystopia where nothing changes, there's no revolution or at least someone trying to go against the status quo. that depresses me so much!

I was depressed for weeks after reading it! The movie is really good

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:08 pm 

I had a hard time with Never Let Me Go! Man, it was really sad. I actually had to stop reading it when I was feeling depressed and pick it up again when I was in a better place.

I just read Juliet Was a Surprise by Bill Gaston and, like everything that man writes, I adored it. I'm now diving into The Birth House without even knowing that the author was a recent transplant to the maritimes inspired by her new surroundings. I need to write a book inspired by my new home asap.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:09 pm 

I just watched the trailer! I think I'll wait a few months to watch the movie so I don't end up comparing too much detail to the book. I really want to see it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:10 pm 

vijita, i didn't get too depressed as i was reading it because i kept thinking that the end COULDN'T be that sad. haha. i'm so naive.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5419 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210 ... 217  Next