| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212 ... 216  Next
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:54 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

ndpittman wrote:
Did you know it's a trilogy? Learning that blew my mind.

Whaaaaat?!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:50 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

eight wrote:
Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
I really like it so far (but am only on page 106)

I just started reading this thanks to your recommendation and I'm enjoying it so far!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:57 am 
Nailed to the V

Under the Skin by Michel Faber ... author of The Crimson Petal and the White ...

I am finding slightly confusing in an unhappy manner ... one gradually begins to figure out what is going on ... but how? more to the point why?

The Times said it is 'utterly compulsive' but that of course is a just clip from their review ...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:15 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

The Snake, the Crocodile and the Dog, book seven in the Amelia Peabody series.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:40 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

vijita wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
Did you know it's a trilogy? Learning that blew my mind.

Whaaaaat?!

Exactly. <brain explodes>

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:44 am 

There's 4 books! But I think she wrote the sequel at least 10 years later. I haven't read any of the others but I'm going to now. Have you seen any of the trailers for the giver movie? I just watched them this morning. It doesn't look super faithful to the book, but I think they just really neede to add some action and love stuff to make it a better movie. I can understand that. I hope it's good!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:02 am 

I finished Eleanor & Park and loved it. Sequel, please. I was hoping for a fairytale ending, but I thought it was more realistic and still best case scenario.

I think I'll read The Giver next. Thanks for the info, ijdi! That makes star's question make a whole lot more sense. I still remember the end to The Giver so vividly even though I don't think I've read it since middle school.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:17 am 

I remembered the end really vividly , too! That's really interesting. It's still very good. I have a lot of questions that I hope the sequels will answer.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I got through a few on holiday. I can't remember what I last talked about so I hope I'm not repeating myself.

Zoo City - loved it. I liked the concept - contemporary setting with just a bit of magic/fantasy to make it different. It was very different from her other book that I read a wee while ago (The Shining Girls).

All You Need Is Kill - really good, different than I expected but in a good way. It was both futuristic and modern - you could imagine the events taking place within your lifetime.

The Night Circus - PPK recommendation that seemingly everyone else has also read. I really enjoyed this as well. It was a little predictable but still good.

The Last Runaway - another that I really liked. I liked the way 19th c England and America were compared, how the main character was so unprepared for the differences and the hardship of her new and unfamiliar life. Even though it's set in a different era, I could relate in ways to how she felt about both the good and bad changes in her life. And it was an interesting look at the theory vs reality of being anti-slavery in the years leading up to the Civil War.

I've had good luck with books lately. I'm almost through with The Golem and the Djinni, then I have the next two Sandman gn's, Men Explain Things to Me, Hyperbole and a Half, and a book about women's lib in the decades around the turn of the last century.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:33 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Padraigin wrote:
Really enjoyed the Swedish psychological thriller - Buried Angels by Camilla Lackberg. So many stories within the story line and great character development. It is so rich in detail that you need to go back and re-read some chapters, just to catch it all.

I love her books! I have this on my to read list but have been waiting for it to be cheaper.

I can't remember who recommended Plane Queer but I've put it on my list as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:35 pm 

rachell37 wrote:
The Night Circus - PPK recommendation that seemingly everyone else has also read. I really enjoyed this as well. It was a little predictable but still good.

I hated it! What's wrong with me?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:43 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

vijita wrote:
rachell37 wrote:

I loved it and am reading it again at the moment. There is nothing wrong with you! You just have a dislike for a fantastic book :-P

But seriously, I didn't like slaughterhouse 5 even though most people I know loved it, I felt I should like it, but I just couldn't, whereas with The Catcher in the Rye I adored it and everyone I know hates it :-(

Its just a matter of personal taste

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life" Mary Oliver

Goodreads

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:03 pm 
Nooch of Earl

vijita wrote:
rachell37 wrote:

I thought it started out with amazing potential, but disappointingly fizzled out. I didn't find the resolution very satisfying and the romantic subplot was like a cancer on the rest of the book. I wouldn't say I hated it, but I was really disappointed with what started out as such a great book descending into pablum.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:02 am 
Nailed to the V

jojo wrote:
eight wrote:
Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
I really like it so far (but am only on page 106)

I just started reading this thanks to your recommendation and I'm enjoying it so far!

I am so glad!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:20 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I finished Deep Blue Home: An Intimate Ecology of Our Wild Ocean by Julia Whitty it was really good but so sad too. I wish there were more science/nature/ecology/animal books that weren't about destruction and the environment and extinction. I think these topics are so important but it's too depressing to read about all the time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:02 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

This is going to sound really bad, but a couple of weeks ago I started to read the first book I've read in a few years :/
Anyway, it's 'Orphans of war' by Leah Fleming.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:48 pm 

No judgment, Rosie! I hope you enjoy it!

I figured I should read one of the two books I have out of the library now instead of getting something new, so I'm reading #Girlboss. It's interesting for the most part, and I like the voice. It's written by the founder of Nasty Gal, and it talks about how she started out and founded the company and grew it. There's a loud empowering: Take control of your life! message, too, which is nice.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:45 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I started an audiobook called Meg, by Steve Alten. It is apparently the first in a series about Megalodon still existing in weird parts of the ocean.

In the opening chapter, a Megalodon ate a T. Rex. (It was a flashback to the Cretaceous). So far, so good.

Yes, I have discerning literary tastes. Why do you ask?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:51 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I finished The Golem and the Djinni and really liked it. It was fun reading it while I was in NY because I recognised so many of the locations (especially since most of it took place in the LES, where I was staying).

I also read vols. 2 and 3 of the Sandman graphic novels. I really liked The Doll's House but just thought Dream Country was alright.

I'm starting Hyperbole and a Half tomorrow, and I'll have loads of reading time since I'll be shuttling between sites a couple of times. Woot!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:01 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Reamde is the first Neal Stephenson book that doesn't keep my attention. I think maybe it should have been shorter. I've really liked his other books, so this is a bit disappointing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:30 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I posted about Hyperbole and a Half in the nonfiction thread, but it was hilarious. Definitely recommended.

I just finished The Lady and the Unicorn, which was really good. I like Tracy Chevalier's style a lot, and I enjoy her use of real historical objects and people to weave her stories around. I might use my monthly ebook allowance to buy more of her stuff. I have another one of hers already, but I'm not sure if I'll read that or something else. I also have The Fault in Our Stars, The Luminaries, and White Teeth waiting for me, along with a ton of graphic novels I've borrowed.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:47 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

annak wrote:
vijita wrote:
rachell37 wrote:

I thought it started out with amazing potential, but disappointingly fizzled out. I didn't find the resolution very satisfying and the romantic subplot was like a cancer on the rest of the book. I wouldn't say I hated it, but I was really disappointed with what started out as such a great book descending into pablum.

Yes, this! I liked it but it wasn't like, the BEST book I've ever read or anything.

Currently reading a book called the Little Women Letters by Gabrielle Donnelly. Definitely a summer beach read (though I haven't been to a beach) but completely worth the $1.85 I spent on it on a crappy third date.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:06 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

IT took 2 hours to sort something on my computer today, so I had nothing to do but read. I managed to get through all of The Fault in Our Stars (over the course of the day, not just in those two hours). I liked it alright. I didn't cry - does that make me a monster? I guess I just found some of it pretentious. But it was a good story.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:17 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

i'm reading "maggie-now" by betty smith. i revisit her other three novels (a tree grows in brooklyn, joy in the morning, and tomorrow will be better) probably about every other year or so, but i haven't read this one since high school. i got a 50+ year old copy off ebay and i'm in serious danger of od'ing off glorious old book smell.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:10 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I'm reading "The Age of Innocence", I love the writing style even though I'm not excited by the story (might be because as a classic the Foreword author assumes you know how it ends and gives away the story, and I always read the forewords).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212 ... 216  Next