| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213 ... 216  Next
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:18 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

beasknees wrote:
i'm reading "maggie-now" by betty smith. i revisit her other three novels (a tree grows in brooklyn, joy in the morning, and tomorrow will be better) probably about every other year or so, but i haven't read this one since high school. i got a 50+ year old copy off ebay and i'm in serious danger of od'ing off glorious old book smell.

I'm reading a paperback of They Came to Baghdad by Agatha Christie from 1960. I'm constantly smelling it, too!

I haven't read any other books by Betty Smith, but I used to read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn over and over and over when I was a kid. I should read it again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:34 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm reading book ten in the Amelia Peabody series - The Ape Who Guards the Balance. I like it very much. I don't know what I'm going to do when I get to the end of the series.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:07 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Anek wrote:
I'm reading "The Age of Innocence", I love the writing style even though I'm not excited by the story (might be because as a classic the Foreword author assumes you know how it ends and gives away the story, and I always read the forewords).

That happened to me with Anna Karenina! I still haven't read the book either because it was ruined! Ruined, I say!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:14 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

blondiefk wrote:
I'm reading book ten in the Amelia Peabody series - The Ape Who Guards the Balance. I like it very much. I don't know what I'm going to do when I get to the end of the series.

Read the Vicky Bliss series, Summer of the Dragon, Legend in Green Velvet, Camelot Caper, and Copenhagen Connection.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:35 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (aka J K Rowling). I am enjoying it so far.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:28 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

jogirl wrote:
The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (aka J K Rowling). I am enjoying it so far.

I started this and had to leave it after a few chapters. I just couldn't get into the characters and the story seems to be turning to the boring side. I hope you like it, if you do maybe I'll give it another try.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:12 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Meg (Steve Alten) is the worst best book I've read in ages. It has a smattering of plausible science mixed in with lunacy, a linear plot that rockets along, cardboard characters who do suitably stupid things while spouting off hilariously earnest and cheesy B-movie dialog. And they still need a bigger boat.

It's going slow because I'm on audiobook, but it can't wait to get to the next one in this series.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:29 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman

π

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:54 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Anek wrote:
jogirl wrote:

I started this and had to leave it after a few chapters. I just couldn't get into the characters and the story seems to be turning to the boring side. I hope you like it, if you do maybe I'll give it another try.

I listened to this book on audible while I was running & I really enjoyed listening to it. So much that I bought The Silkworm to listen to & I just finished it tonight. I really enjoyed that too and it's not a genre I usually read. It really helps that the guy that reads it is really good too. I think the climax of the books are very similar to the climax in the Harry Potter books.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:08 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Chickpea wrote:
Anek wrote:
jogirl wrote:

I listened to this book on audible while I was running & I really enjoyed listening to it. So much that I bought The Silkworm to listen to & I just finished it tonight. I really enjoyed that too and it's not a genre I usually read. It really helps that the guy that reads it is really good too. I think the climax of the books are very similar to the climax in the Harry Potter books.

I've finished it now and I did really enjoy it. It is fairly formulaic but I love the genre so that suited me.

I've just started Kate Atkinson's Life after Life and I can't put it down.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:43 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I'm rereading The Sea The Sea by Iris Murdoch and I can't believe how much I've missed reading Murdoch.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:49 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

vijita wrote:
I'm rereading The Sea The Sea by Iris Murdoch and I can't believe how much I've missed reading Murdoch.

I love her. I have The Sea The Sea on my Kindle but have yet to read it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:57 am 
Married to the wolfman

"Running and Stuff" by James Adams, a British ultra guy. Really funny and compelling (the funniest running memoir I've read) but holy cats, he really needs someone to edit him. Not for content, but for grammar and spelling mistakes.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:57 am 
Married to the wolfman

Star wrote:
The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman

Loved that whole series.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:10 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I just finished If You Follow Me. I cried so much during that book. The main character is dealing with the loss of her father, and I could relate to so much of it. Oof. I'm glad I read it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:07 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

jogirl wrote:

I've just started Kate Atkinson's Life after Life and I can't put it down.

I liked this so much that I read a bunch of her other books, but this was my favourite.

I finished Buried Angels. I usually really like her stuff, but there's a bit of the cult of motherhood seeping in that's kinda off putting. It was still good, but not as good as the earlier books where the main female character was a bit more independent.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:02 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I loved Life after Life. Such an amazing cast of characters and original idea!

I started A man lay dead, the first of the 30+ crime stories that Ngaio Marsh wrote. She's a rough contemporary of Agatha Christie and Dorothy Sayers and usually grouped with them and a fourth one as "Queens of Crime". I adore Agatha Christie and Dorothy Sayers so I figured I'd like Ngaio Marsh and bought the entire collection at once, and I am not regretting it! Such a style! They just don't write books like those anymore, although I think I had a bit of the writing style feeling with Life after Life. Anyway, looking forward to many hours of pleasure.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:37 am 

Anek wrote:
I loved Life after Life. Such an amazing cast of characters and original idea!

I started A man lay dead, the first of the 30+ crime stories that Ngaio Marsh wrote. She's a rough contemporary of Agatha Christie and Dorothy Sayers and usually grouped with them and a fourth one as "Queens of Crime". I adore Agatha Christie and Dorothy Sayers so I figured I'd like Ngaio Marsh and bought the entire collection at once, and I am not regretting it! Such a style! They just don't write books like those anymore, although I think I had a bit of the writing style feeling with Life after Life. Anyway, looking forward to many hours of pleasure.

Cool. I'll have to look her up. I'm actually reading a biography of the first Swedish "Queen of Crime" - Maria Lang.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just finished Burning Bright by Tracy Chevalier. It was just ok. It felt like it didn't really have a plot, that all of the plot-like elements were sorta skimmed over. For example, there was a bit of talk about the French Revolution but it remained in the backdrop, and it finished before it felt like the major stories were resolved. It was well written, but just felt a bit pointless.

I'm back on Sandman next - I have vol 3-6 from the library.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:34 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I read "the silkworm" and thought it was really good, better than the first one.

Then I read "tenth of december", short stories by George Saunders. I really liked some of the stories and other I just did not GET at all.

A graphic novel called "Skim" by Mariko Tamaki ("Suicide, depression, love, being gay or not, crushes, cliques, and finding a way to be your own fully human self--are all explored in this brilliant collaboration by cousins Mariko and Jillian Tamaki.") The story was cute, the drawing beautiful.

"Hunger: A modern history" by James Vernon. This one disappointed me. I was ready to love it so much and it never fully delivered. And it was SO hard to get through, the writing was so dense like a really bad university paper.

I also read "The Unwinding: An Inner History of the New America" by George Packer, which I enjoyed very much but it really depressed me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:17 pm 

rachell37 wrote:
I'm back on Sandman next - I have vol 3-6 from the library.

The Sandman graphic novels are some of my favourite books to re-read, and in my opinion they really improve a lot as they go on in the series and the characters develop. How are you finding them so far?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:19 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Meg was so crazy sauce awesome that I'm now reading Trench, the second book.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:28 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Just finished the audiobook of Princesses Behaving Badly. I do like my odd historical tidbits.

I learned all about Alfhilde, the viking princess-turned-pirate; Rani Lakshmibai, the Indian princess who charged into battle against the British with her infant son strapped to her back (but not really tho); Roxolana, the Russian courtesan who went from a lowly harem girl to Sultana of the Ottoman Empire; La Malinche, the Aztec princess reviled in Mexico for her collaboration with Hernan Cortez; and more. Recommended!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:38 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

That sounds great.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:21 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Invictus wrote:
I just finished If You Follow Me. I cried so much during that book. The main character is dealing with the loss of her father, and I could relate to so much of it. Oof. I'm glad I read it.

That's one of my favorite books. So good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213 ... 216  Next