| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214 ... 223  Next
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:48 am 
Tofu Pup

I just read 'Doctor Sleep', the sequel to 'The Shining' and it was pretty bad. Margaret Atwood gave it a good write-up, but she was fibbing....

Stephen King is definitely off the boil nowadays :/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:30 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

oneateleven wrote:
I just read 'Doctor Sleep', the sequel to 'The Shining' and it was pretty bad. Margaret Atwood gave it a good write-up, but she was fibbing....

Agreed. I wasn't even really expecting much from it, but was still disappointed.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:22 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I finished "To the End of June: The Intimate Life of American Foster Care" it was really good. I learned a lot about why the foster care system is so messed up. For example, agencies search out potential foster parents at welfare offices because they know those people need the extra money!

Now I'm reading Parable of the Sower (Earthseed, #1) by Octavia E. Butler. So many dystopias start in LA!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:25 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Quarantined wrote:
oneateleven wrote:

Agreed. I wasn't even really expecting much from it, but was still disappointed.

Oh, bummer. To be honest, though, I did an internal cringe when I first heard there was a sequel to The Shining. I can't imagine how one would pull that off, and I'm definitely of the mind that King's best days as a writer are behind him!

Apropos, oneateleven, is that your tattoo in your avatar? If so, you are forkin' BOSS. (I also have a TP tattoo!)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:28 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

LazySmurf wrote:
Now I'm reading Parable of the Sower (Earthseed, #1) by Octavia E. Butler. So many dystopias start in LA!

My ex got me hooked on Butler with a copy of the Patternist collection, and I keep hearing that Parable of the Sower is amazing. I will have to check it out!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:01 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I just got Seconds, the new Bryan Lee O'Malley graphic novel. I'm starting it even though I'm not done with my Agatha Christie book. eek!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:15 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

ijustdiedinside wrote:
I just got Seconds, the new Bryan Lee O'Malley graphic novel. I'm starting it even though I'm not done with my Agatha Christie book. eek!

OOOOHHH I CAN'T WAIT, let me know how you like it!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:17 pm 
Tofu Pup

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Oh, bummer. To be honest, though, I did an internal cringe when I first heard there was a sequel to The Shining. I can't imagine how one would pull that off, and I'm definitely of the mind that King's best days as a writer are behind him!

Apropos, oneateleven, is that your tattoo in your avatar? If so, you are forkin' BOSS. (I also have a TP tattoo!)

Yeh I'd really like to enjoy one of his newer books but it just never happens. I tried to read Under the Dome and I just got super duper bored very quickly. I took a chance with this one; it wasn't HORRENDOUS but it didn't really do justice to The Shining, which was the first grown up book I ever read :/

Yarrrrrrp that is my tattoo, thanks! Let's see yours! :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:49 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Just finished the audiobook of Princesses Behaving Badly. I do like my odd historical tidbits.

I learned all about Alfhilde, the viking princess-turned-pirate; Rani Lakshmibai, the Indian princess who charged into battle against the British with her infant son strapped to her back (but not really tho); Roxolana, the Russian courtesan who went from a lowly harem girl to Sultana of the Ottoman Empire; La Malinche, the Aztec princess reviled in Mexico for her collaboration with Hernan Cortez; and more. Recommended!

That sounds really good! I'm putting it on my reading list.

Imogen wrote:
rachell37 wrote:
I'm back on Sandman next - I have vol 3-6 from the library.

The Sandman graphic novels are some of my favourite books to re-read, and in my opinion they really improve a lot as they go on in the series and the characters develop. How are you finding them so far?

I've liked all of them so far. I'm still not 100% on board with the "graphic" part, but the stories are so good. I thought the way he portrayed the trans* character in vol 5 was really good, especially for the early 90s.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:04 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

oneateleven wrote:
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

Yeh I'd really like to enjoy one of his newer books but it just never happens. I tried to read Under the Dome and I just got super duper bored very quickly. I took a chance with this one; it wasn't HORRENDOUS but it didn't really do justice to The Shining, which was the first grown up book I ever read :/

Yarrrrrrp that is my tattoo, thanks! Let's see yours! :)

Ha, I didn't even bother with the Under the Dome book, just watched a few episodes of the miniseries and immediately lost interest when they got greedy and decided to expand it into a second season.

Here's mine!!! viewtopic.php?p=497828#p497828

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:41 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I liked Dr. Sleep overall but I wish it hadn't been a sequel. No way did it live up to The Shining. I also felt like he really flinched hard with the ending.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:43 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I really really liked the recent one with the kids working at the amusement park. (Joyland?) Best new SK in like forever... Nothing trying to be serious or deep or edgy, just good characters and a story that worked.

I read Under the Dome while in the grips of serious postpartum depression and yeah, I can't really recommend that experience to anyone.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:49 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

My dad really liked Under the Dome. He had complained about the last few SK books, but he seemed to enjoy that one. He had to watch the tv series in the mornings because my mom didn't want to watch it.

I never cared for King, or Koontz. Other than those my dad and I had really similar taste in books. He used to mark his place with toilet papers scraps, no matter how many bookmarks I gave him. I keep finding those scraps in books when I least expect it. Yesterday I found one in my Manga Guide to Electricity.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:41 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Just finished the audiobook of Princesses Behaving Badly. I do like my odd historical tidbits.

I learned all about Alfhilde, the viking princess-turned-pirate; Rani Lakshmibai, the Indian princess who charged into battle against the British with her infant son strapped to her back (but not really tho); Roxolana, the Russian courtesan who went from a lowly harem girl to Sultana of the Ottoman Empire; La Malinche, the Aztec princess reviled in Mexico for her collaboration with Hernan Cortez; and more. Recommended!

This sounds awesome! I'm going to make it my book club recommendation for next month!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:26 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I just finished Octavia Butler's Earthseed trilogy, "Parable of the Sower" and "Parable of the Talents" they were both so dark. I have to read something more uplifting or fun next.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:47 am 
Tofu Pup

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

Woooo, that is tremendous! It's great having a TP tattoo because you can judge total strangers on how SPLENDID they are by whether they know what it means :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:19 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

rachell37 wrote:
Imogen wrote:
rachell37 wrote:
I'm back on Sandman next - I have vol 3-6 from the library.

The Sandman graphic novels are some of my favourite books to re-read, and in my opinion they really improve a lot as they go on in the series and the characters develop. How are you finding them so far?

I've liked all of them so far. I'm still not 100% on board with the "graphic" part, but the stories are so good. I thought the way he portrayed the trans* character in vol 5 was really good, especially for the early 90s.

Yes! I cried more than once over her storyline.

I'm currently reading Robin Hobb, City of Dragons. I love her writing and so far I think this series is her best yet, particularly in the way it communicates feminist and queer issues in a fantasy setting.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:58 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

LazySmurf wrote:
I just finished Octavia Butler's Earthseed trilogy, "Parable of the Sower" and "Parable of the Talents" they were both so dark. I have to read something more uplifting or fun next.

Oh man I LOVE Octavia Butler, and I read the Xenogenesis trilogy in a few days a year ago, and I'm STILL kinda taking a break from her.

Right now I'm reading Surfacing by Margaret Atwood.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:22 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

VeganinBerlin wrote:
A graphic novel called "Skim" by Mariko Tamaki ("Suicide, depression, love, being gay or not, crushes, cliques, and finding a way to be your own fully human self--are all explored in this brilliant collaboration by cousins Mariko and Jillian Tamaki.") The story was cute, the drawing beautiful.

I LOVE that book.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:27 am 
WELFARIST!

I'm reading Raymond Carver's short story collection Cathedral. I read the first story (I think it was called Feathers) and he made (albeit small) mention of a wife getting fat or something and that was all (part of) heralding a marriage falling apart at the end and it just sort of negated all the cleverness that came before by this simple-minded, peevish observation so I didn't pick the book up again for a couple of weeks, though I admired some striking points in the writing of the story and...I guess he kind of writes in what seems a superficial tale but there is a lot going on under the surface. I mean Feathers is kind of a contrast of a happy relationship versus unhappy relationship between two couples, in the final analysis, and I guess he's giving some superficial (and some deep) ruminations on why relationships fail but the fat reference just seemed trite in the wealth of other deeper stuff in the story and just stuck out like a sore thumb for me.

I don't know if 'allegory' is the correct word for what he does, but I think it's sometimes like that.

Next story (forget what it's called) contained mention of a "Fat Linda". Sigh. A negative thing, this being fat is to the characters in his stories. I can't even remember what that one was about though. People defrost their fridges in his stories, for God's sake and that's the story if you get my drift. Reading him is about reading between the lines but sometimes you just want your dose straight up, yanno.

Next story 'Preservation'. This is the fridge breakdown story. I really didn't get this on the surface but once I thought about it afterward, I liked it, but I kind of like to like things as I'm reading then--not have to think about them later and say "oh, well, that was clever".

Anyway, I think he's a good short story writer but all the realism in his stories isn't escapist enough for my taste. After reading the first few stories I thought he had a privileged white male kind of point of view but reading up on him a bit his stories are supposed to be gritty poverty stuff. Nah, it's working class, not poverty. At least to me. Anyway, I'll keep reading because like I said the writing is occasionally striking and the allegorical qualities or structure of some of his stories really does intrigue me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:19 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Currently on The Power of Six by Pittacus Lore in prep for the 5th book

π

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:57 am 
Inflexitarian

Time And The Art Of Living by Robert Grudin ... have had it here for awhile ... by the bookmark inside it looks as if I only go to the 3rd chapter.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:30 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

The Serpent in the Crown by Elizabeth Peters, the second to last book in the series.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:41 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Right now I'm working through Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, having just finished Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (slightly similar plot), but I liked the latter a lot more.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:53 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

The Magician's Land! Although I'm through the kindle preview and have to wait until I receive my physical copy tomorrow to continue on. I'm looking forward to getting some closure with this trilogy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214 ... 223  Next