| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217  Next
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:07 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

White Teeth - it took me a while to get into it because I just didn't like Archie and Sam. I was much more interested in the kids, and I would've liked a lot more about Clara and Alsana. But overall I quite liked it and would recommend it.

Next up, Sandman Slim #6!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:07 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

rachell37 wrote:
White Teeth - it took me a while to get into it because I just didn't like Archie and Sam. I was much more interested in the kids, and I would've liked a lot more about Clara and Alsana. But overall I quite liked it and would recommend it.
I'm a huge fan of Zadie Smith's writing, and I like everything she's done, fiction and essays alike. But White Teeth will always have a special place in my heart because it was the first book she published (and thus the first thing of hers that I read) and I got really absorbed in it, especially as everything began to converge in the later stages. I've heard her read in person a few times now, and her voice is wonderful; she's not just a wonderful writer, she's a pretty good actress and mimic, too.

Talking of debut novels, I'm finally reading Kate Atkinson's Behind the Scenes at the Museum, which I've had recommended to me a bunch of times, but never got around to until now, and I'm really enjoying it. Her writing is excellent, and she creates some vivid characters; my only quibble is that she's used "hung" for "hanged" twice, but I'm hoping that's on purpose, because her narrator is child when she does so. (Then again, her narrator also refers to Strindberg and Ibsen as a four-year-old, so maybe not!)

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:53 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle. I started reading it about a year ago and couldn't get into it, but I'm flying through it this time around.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:50 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Desdemona wrote:
rachell37 wrote:
I'm a huge fan of Zadie Smith's writing, and I like everything she's done, fiction and essays alike. But White Teeth will always have a special place in my heart because it was the first book she published (and thus the first thing of hers that I read) and I got really absorbed in it, especially as everything began to converge in the later stages. I've heard her read in person a few times now, and her voice is wonderful; she's not just a wonderful writer, she's a pretty good actress and mimic, too.

Yeah, from about the middle of the book, I almost couldn't put it down. I don't usually read much at home (I do most of my reading while commuting or during breaks), but I spent several hours on the sofa with this one. I'll definitely check out more of her stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:32 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

Reading all of Mitch Albom's work. Just finished For One More Day. will start to read The Time Keeper.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:17 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I read "Habibi" by Craig Thompson and it's so astonishingly bad. I loved "blankets" and I expected something similar. The orientalism and the 70 rapes that are beautifully drawn (and where he makes a 9 year old "sexy") and then the weird weird love story that made me feel so uncomfortable.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:23 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

The Power of Six by Pittacus Lore.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:12 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

I am finally reading "The China Study" A must read.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:27 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

If I stay by Gayle Forman

π

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:19 am 
Nailed to the V

Fitting Ends and other stories ... Dan Chaon ... a bookmark about the 3rd of the way through ... discovered it when resorting a shelf in the vain hope I could find more room ...

Anne

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:15 am 

Re-reading Stardust by Neil Gaiman. Turns out it was 7 years ago I last read it so I can't wait to jump back in and enjoy it again

π

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:58 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The Getaway God (Sandman Slim #6) - I think this might have been the best one yet. It really pulled me in. I'm sure I've said this before, but Kadrey's writing feels so visual, almost like reading a screenplay. It's so easy to picture the action. It ended in a way that it could be The End but could also carry on, which I hope it does. Now if he'd just quit with the unnecessary, shoehorned in vegan bashing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:46 pm 
Tofu Pup

Currently reading Tenth of December by George Saunders. It's a collection of short stories, that are really interestingly written. One story was a bit meh because of the shorthand writing, but the story itself was good.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:20 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Sandman vol. 8 - good, but not as good as the others, mostly because the Endless only have cameos in other people's stories. I prefer the ones that focus on Dream.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:06 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Strangers in Death by JD Robb - the next book for me in the Eve Dallas series.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:13 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Just got A Discovery of Witches from the library. I'm excited to start. Also reading a bunch of health/nutrition/woo books.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:41 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

ndpittman wrote:
Just got A Discovery of Witches from the library. I'm excited to start. Also reading a bunch of health/nutrition/woo books.
Tell me if you like it! I also heard the author on NPR and it sounded interesting, and I've had it recommended by a few people who compared to Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell (which I really enjoyed), so I may check it out.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:41 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I know I've said this on a number of occasions, but that was one of my most hated books. Fairly warned be thee, says I.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:21 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

rachell37 wrote:
I know I've said this on a number of occasions, but that was one of my most hated books. Fairly warned be thee, says I.
Interesting - do tell!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:58 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

blondiefk wrote:
Strangers in Death by JD Robb - the next book for me in the Eve Dallas series.

That was a good one.

I'm excited for the new one at the end of the month. There will be another in February.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:02 pm 

Will be starting The maze runner by James Dashner tomorrow

π

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:35 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Desdemona wrote:
rachell37 wrote:
Interesting - do tell!

I think the worst part for me was that the main character started out as a strong, independent woman then met a dude and suddenly couldn't (or wasn't allowed to) take care of herself. The relationship was just really forked up. I vaguely recall not liking the writing, but I read it shortly after it came out, which was several years ago, and I tried to scrub it from my brain, so I can't recall every reason I hated it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:40 am 
Flounceiad 2011

If I start reading a novel (or anything, really) and don't like the writing, I can't continue. I don't care if something is supposedly "a good story" if I have to sort through a pile of crappy prose to get to it. And by that point I'll have lost respect for the writer, and with that my interest in what they have to say. For me, bad writing = bad novels, and I don't have time for that, especially since the world is filled with wonderful writing that I haven't read yet. ETA: there have also been those books where the writing is fine but it's either not my stylistic cup of tea, or everything is fine but it's not the right thing for me at that particular time. I've put down books that I just wasn't feeling (EL Doctorow's Ragtime comes to mind), and then picked them up again much later and enjoyed them.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:19 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I read most of Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks last night and I'm really conflicted. On the one hand, this is a story that needed to be told, but on the other, I'm not sure that this author was the one to do it. I'm also left with the sad feeling that nobody knew/knows much about Henrietta anymore since those sections were very lean. Skloot spends a lot more time talking about abuse, rapes, and incest in the family after Henrietta died than about either Henrietta or her cells and I'm not sure what that adds to either story. I want to know more about her beyond that she was kind, funny, beautiful, loved red nail polish, and married a loser. I'm not sure if I'll finish it or not.

Also, Skloot mentions in her introduction that race is an important part of this story, but then she doesn't follow through. She makes the case that Henrietta could have been anybody and her cells would still have been used, and this was probably true, but she never talks about Henrietta's medical care in terms of race. Would a white woman have been admitted to the hospital sooner? I'd think so. Skloot just glosses over this part.

Everybody I know has universally loved and raved about this book (kind of like they did with Gone Girl and 50 Shades of Grey). Has anybody else here read it? What did you think?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:27 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Desdemona wrote:
If I start reading a novel (or anything, really) and don't like the writing, I can't continue. I don't care if something is supposedly "a good story" if I have to sort through a pile of crappy prose to get to it. And by that point I'll have lost respect for the writer, and with that my interest in what they have to say. For me, bad writing = bad novels, and I don't have time for that, especially since the world is filled with wonderful writing that I haven't read yet. ETA: there have also been those books where the writing is fine but it's either not my stylistic cup of tea, or everything is fine but it's not the right thing for me at that particular time. I've put down books that I just wasn't feeling (EL Doctorow's Ragtime comes to mind), and then picked them up again much later and enjoyed them.

Same here, only I don't always mind crappy writing in the same way that I have an entire bookshelf full of bad disaster movies. My dad, on the other hand, would never, ever not finish a book. I used to pick out tedious books for him for fun (my fun) to watch him finish them. My mom forbade this practice after being treated to a month of dinner table play by play of a 3,000 page history of Australia.

crepe Molly is playing with scissors...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217  Next