| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: The g*d@#$ annoying commercial thread
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:38 pm 
Offline
Lime and a Coconut
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:42 am
Posts: 3827
Location: Smugville, CA
I did a search and didn't seem to find any existing threads dedicated to commercials we hate. It seems like every freakin' week there is something on TV to insult my feminism, my veganism, or just my intelligence overall. Y'all wanna start a thread to gripe about these commercials with other ostensibly sane people?

Here's the latest one that's just made me do an outright facepalm:



Cause wimmins love chocolate and shoes, ammiright? And... apparently... dudes in turtlenecks on hot air balloons? But don't get FAT, ladies.

_________________
Crazy rating: Double plus crazytown bananapants ~Jordanpattern
Too much woo, you guys. Too much woo ~Tofulish
Sews Before Bros


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The g*d@#$ annoying commercial thread
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:26 pm 
Offline
Chip Strong
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 5:31 pm
Posts: 951
I don't even want to link to it, it infuriates me so, but the Dove, "dear armpit" ad. I find it so forking insulting. And when it's aired, it's always in heavy rotation- which leads me to believe it's working for them, and that angers me once again.

Another currently hated one, is an ad for All Bran, which features a woman sliding down a long curvy slide to simulate the lower intestine and colon as if she herself is nothing but a giant turd - even Mr. J loses it over how insulting that one is.

_________________
"Well, don't give the chickens cookies, then" -one SassyOh customer, to another SassyOh customer.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The g*d@#$ annoying commercial thread
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:31 pm 
Offline
The Real Hamburger Helper
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:42 pm
Posts: 2296
Excellent thread! Football season always seems to bring a fresh crop of stupid ads for me to work myself up about. Like this one:



Football! Manly, manly man-men! Everyone knows ladies pretty much exclusively do little arm circle things for exercise. Argh. Hate.


Last edited by Pinko on Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The g*d@#$ annoying commercial thread
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:33 pm 
Offline
The Real Hamburger Helper
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:42 pm
Posts: 2296
And as a proud, chocolate-loving woman, I feel confident saying no 120-calorie diet snack bullshiitake counts as "dreamy."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The g*d@#$ annoying commercial thread
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:21 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm
Posts: 3959
Location: Edinburgh
That Skinny Cow ad had terrible production values. I thought it was some kind of homemade fan video until the end.

_________________
A pie eating contest is a battle with no losers. - amandabear


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The g*d@#$ annoying commercial thread
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:36 pm 
Offline
Lime and a Coconut
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:42 am
Posts: 3827
Location: Smugville, CA
Pinko wrote:
Excellent thread! Football season always seems to bring a fresh crop of stupid ads for me to work myself up about. Like this one:



Football! Manly, manly man-men! Everyone knows ladies pretty much exclusively do little arm circle things for exercise. Argh. Hate.


Oh god, yeah, Snickers has the market cornered on patronizing, misogynist advertising. Even their supposed 'feminst' ad was little more than a paternalistic, head-patting bait-and-switch: Snickers mocks the idea that men can respect women.

jean wrote:
Another currently hated one, is an ad for All Bran, which features a woman sliding down a long curvy slide to simulate the lower intestine and colon as if she herself is nothing but a giant turd - even Mr. J loses it over how insulting that one is.


I can't say I've ever seen that one, but you can immediately fix it by listening to the recent Comedy Bang Bang podcast episode with Tenacious D. Jack Black offers up a jingle that he wrote for All-Bran, pro bono, and it's been stuck in my head for weeks: "If you want a one-wiper/a CLEEEAAN one-wiper/...All-Braaaan!!!" I imagine singing that to yourself would make repeated viewings of that commercial more than bearable.

_________________
Crazy rating: Double plus crazytown bananapants ~Jordanpattern
Too much woo, you guys. Too much woo ~Tofulish
Sews Before Bros


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The g*d@#$ annoying commercial thread
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:47 pm 
Offline
Just Loathin' Around!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:17 pm
Posts: 7279
Location: bindlestiff
Oh the ads of football season. They're extra dumb because a lot of male athletes do pilates or similar womanly exercises because they are excellent for flexibility and core strength. The idea that males just lift 500 pound weights in the gym, grunt, and go out and compete is ridiculous.

_________________
Ovoids=not vegan --invictus

Panda With Cookie


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The g*d@#$ annoying commercial thread
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:24 am 
Online
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:00 am
Posts: 484
Location: Wales
It's not a commercial so sorry if this doesn't belong here, but this fairly recent NHS campaign really got me angry.

Image

_________________
MoFo blog :)
Rosie's vegan kitchen


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The g*d@#$ annoying commercial thread
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:06 pm 
Offline
Nailed to the V
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 564
Location: Reno
UmmmmmNO. Victim shaming is the ultimate lose. Cheezus crust, people.

Now mine feels so petty, but basically EVERYTHING Hulu uses. The armpit commercial mentioned above ("beautiful little armpit?? wth?") and the Herbal Essences ad where the whole ad is about this sausage-loving "porkitarian" who calls herself a vegan because that makes her "sound like the kind of person who does yoga." This ad is also available in a minute-long segment, which gets even more infuriating. It's still the same thing but with more stupid dialogue. What does fake veganism have to do with freaking shampoo?!

_________________
Blog: Reno Vegan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The g*d@#$ annoying commercial thread
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:25 pm 
Offline
Chip Strong
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:56 pm
Posts: 979
Location: Baltimore
oddspongeout wrote:
Now mine feels so petty, but basically EVERYTHING Hulu uses. The armpit commercial mentioned above ("beautiful little armpit?? wth?") and the Herbal Essences ad where the whole ad is about this sausage-loving "porkitarian" who calls herself a vegan because that makes her "sound like the kind of person who does yoga." This ad is also available in a minute-long segment, which gets even more infuriating. It's still the same thing but with more stupid dialogue. What does fake veganism have to do with freaking shampoo?!


Yeah, this is the one that I came here to post about.



It's so stupidly, pointlessly weird that I don't even care that much about the porkawhatever thing. I just care that they were trying so hard to make it weird and they were like "I know! Let's make the weirdo vegan! That'll really get our point across!"


Also, maybe put the victim-blaming ad behind a spoiler? That's just... ugh. I don't even know where to start with that one.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The g*d@#$ annoying commercial thread
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:28 am 
Offline
Dead by dawn
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:54 pm
Posts: 7943
Location: Seattle
OK, that NHS ad is just horrible. I mean, the victim blaming is utterly despicable. But add to that the corollary: two out of three reported rapes happen when the victim hasn't been drinking. But you can't find a way to blame the victim for that.

_________________
facebook
"The PPK: Come for the pie; stay for the croissants." - tinglepants!
"Cockblocked by Richard Branson- again!" - Erika Soyf*cker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The g*d@#$ annoying commercial thread
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:53 am 
Offline
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5626
Location: A New England
eatsbabies wrote:
oddspongeout wrote:
Now mine feels so petty, but basically EVERYTHING Hulu uses. The armpit commercial mentioned above ("beautiful little armpit?? wth?") and the Herbal Essences ad where the whole ad is about this sausage-loving "porkitarian" who calls herself a vegan because that makes her "sound like the kind of person who does yoga." This ad is also available in a minute-long segment, which gets even more infuriating. It's still the same thing but with more stupid dialogue. What does fake veganism have to do with freaking shampoo?!


Yeah, this is the one that I came here to post about.



It's so stupidly, pointlessly weird that I don't even care that much about the porkawhatever thing. I just care that they were trying so hard to make it weird and they were like "I know! Let's make the weirdo vegan! That'll really get our point across!"


Also, maybe put the victim-blaming ad behind a spoiler? That's just... ugh. I don't even know where to start with that one.
That is among the stupidest, most incomprehensible things I have ever seen. I feel dumber just for knowing it exists.

_________________
I will read all sorts of tripe and am great at suspension of disbelief,
but when characters start getting the hots for serial killer ghosts, I'm out. ~ lavawitch
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The g*d@#$ annoying commercial thread
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:40 pm 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:32 am
Posts: 527
If I had image-making skillz, I'd make a similar poster going

Spoiler: show
100%
of rapes
occur
when rapists
rape


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The g*d@#$ annoying commercial thread
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:57 pm 
Offline
Lime and a Coconut
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:42 am
Posts: 3827
Location: Smugville, CA
All the Geico ads. Pretty much any ad I see from them makes me groan and want to claw my face off. First of all, that gecko went from posh to mockney over the course of a few short years, he is straight-up slummin' in order to seem cool. That pig of theirs is the only animated creature that's ever tested my vegan resolve to not harm animals. And the "How happy? This happy" musician idiots I can never even be annoyed by again, because after my friend pointed out the mandolin player's ever-present moose-knuckle, I can never unsee it when those commercials play.

Apparently all their ads are hilarious to a lot of people. That just makes me sad for humanity.

_________________
Crazy rating: Double plus crazytown bananapants ~Jordanpattern
Too much woo, you guys. Too much woo ~Tofulish
Sews Before Bros


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The g*d@#$ annoying commercial thread
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:00 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:06 pm
Posts: 1952
Location: Windmill Central
jean wrote:
I don't even want to link to it, it infuriates me so, but the Dove, "dear armpit" ad. I find it so forking insulting. And when it's aired, it's always in heavy rotation- which leads me to believe it's working for them, and that angers me once again.

Another currently hated one, is an ad for All Bran, which features a woman sliding down a long curvy slide to simulate the lower intestine and colon as if she herself is nothing but a giant turd - even Mr. J loses it over how insulting that one is.


I hate that Dove ad, because I'm already self-conscious about my armpits! They're just making it worse!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The g*d@#$ annoying commercial thread
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:03 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:06 pm
Posts: 1952
Location: Windmill Central
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
All the Geico ads. Pretty much any ad I see from them makes me groan and want to claw my face off. First of all, that gecko went from posh to mockney over the course of a few short years, he is straight-up slummin' in order to seem cool. That pig of theirs is the only animated creature that's ever tested my vegan resolve to not harm animals. And the "How happy? This happy" musician idiots I can never even be annoyed by again, because after my friend pointed out the mandolin player's ever-present moose-knuckle, I can never unsee it when those commercials play.

Apparently all their ads are hilarious to a lot of people. That just makes me sad for humanity.


I kinda thought the caveman ads were funny, but that's where the Geico chuckles ended for me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The g*d@#$ annoying commercial thread
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:23 pm 
Offline
The Real Hamburger Helper
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:42 pm
Posts: 2296
Oh, god. THAT PIG. I hate that forking Geico pig. He's like a smug little douchebro in porcine form.

Agree all Geico ads are terrible. (And there are so many of them!)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The g*d@#$ annoying commercial thread
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:26 am 
Offline
Nailed to the V
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 564
Location: Reno
pickledtreats wrote:
I hate that Dove ad, because I'm already self-conscious about my armpits! They're just making it worse!

Especially since Dove is Unilever and I guess us vegans can never have "beautiful little armpits!"

(Also what annoys me every time is the thing about how people "don't treat [armpits] like skin" because they shave them and wax them. How is that exclusive to armpits?)

_________________
Blog: Reno Vegan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The g*d@#$ annoying commercial thread
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:09 am 
Offline
Nailed to the V
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 4:38 pm
Posts: 532
Location: Germany
oddspongeout wrote:
(Also what annoys me every time is the thing about how people "don't treat [armpits] like skin" because they shave them and wax them. How is that exclusive to armpits?)


I think what they secretly mean is "people don't agonize over the acceptability of their armpit skin... enough. That stops today!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The g*d@#$ annoying commercial thread
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:29 am 
Offline
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:17 pm
Posts: 2826
Location: Boston, MA
Pinko wrote:
Oh, god. THAT PIG. I hate that forking Geico pig. He's like a smug little douchebro in porcine form.



YES. I thought I was the only one who felt this way, god bless you all.

_________________
"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The g*d@#$ annoying commercial thread
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:34 am 
Offline
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:17 pm
Posts: 602
The Geico pigs one
the samsung(?) one with the two kids, something about amazon something? (sorry!)
the paypal one with the blonde woman that keeps claiming ordering stuff online is not simple (when she clearly means inconvenient)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The g*d@#$ annoying commercial thread
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:13 am 
Offline
WRETCHED
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 8651
Location: Maryland/DC area
There was a commercial on Pandora yesterday that was defending "Redskins" as a team name. It was basically a couple 'native americans' saying that they are proud to have a football team named after them and they are proud to be red skinned.... and then 'white' people saying "wow, I love the name Redskins and knowing Native Americans are ok with it too makes it even better". And they have a website/FB page and what is worse is they have 99k likes on their FB page.

_________________
You are all a disgrace to vegans. Go f*ck yourselves, especially linanil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The g*d@#$ annoying commercial thread
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:23 pm 
Offline
Chip Strong
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 5:31 pm
Posts: 951
Rebekah wrote:

I think what they secretly mean is "people don't agonize over the acceptability of their armpit skin... enough. That stops today!"


Yes, I agree, and that's why the ad upsets me so much. The majority of advertising aimed at women uses the technique of reinforcing our insecurities, or this case creating one where there wasn't one previously.

_________________
"Well, don't give the chickens cookies, then" -one SassyOh customer, to another SassyOh customer.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The g*d@#$ annoying commercial thread
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:36 pm 
Offline
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5626
Location: A New England
jean wrote:
Rebekah wrote:

I think what they secretly mean is "people don't agonize over the acceptability of their armpit skin... enough. That stops today!"
Yes, I agree, and that's why the ad upsets me so much. The majority of advertising aimed at women uses the technique of reinforcing our insecurities, or this case creating one where there wasn't one previously.
Exactly, and of course it does so to profit from them. I remember Colbert addressing this awhile back.

http://racked.com/archives/2011/04/14/s ... rities.php

_________________
I will read all sorts of tripe and am great at suspension of disbelief,
but when characters start getting the hots for serial killer ghosts, I'm out. ~ lavawitch
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The g*d@#$ annoying commercial thread
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:58 pm 
Offline
Chip Strong
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 5:31 pm
Posts: 951
Oh, I love that Stephen (or is it Steven) Colbert stuck it to the armpit ad bullshiitake - that video doesn't play for me, but I get the idea.

_________________
"Well, don't give the chickens cookies, then" -one SassyOh customer, to another SassyOh customer.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer