| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The g*d@#$ annoying commercial thread
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:38 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

I did a search and didn't seem to find any existing threads dedicated to commercials we hate. It seems like every freakin' week there is something on TV to insult my feminism, my veganism, or just my intelligence overall. Y'all wanna start a thread to gripe about these commercials with other ostensibly sane people?

Here's the latest one that's just made me do an outright facepalm:

Cause wimmins love chocolate and shoes, ammiright? And... apparently... dudes in turtlenecks on hot air balloons? But don't get FAT, ladies.

Post subject: Re: The g*d@#$ annoying commercial thread
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:26 pm 
Chip Strong

I don't even want to link to it, it infuriates me so, but the Dove, "dear armpit" ad. I find it so forking insulting. And when it's aired, it's always in heavy rotation- which leads me to believe it's working for them, and that angers me once again.

Another currently hated one, is an ad for All Bran, which features a woman sliding down a long curvy slide to simulate the lower intestine and colon as if she herself is nothing but a giant turd - even Mr. J loses it over how insulting that one is.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:31 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Excellent thread! Football season always seems to bring a fresh crop of stupid ads for me to work myself up about. Like this one:

Football! Manly, manly man-men! Everyone knows ladies pretty much exclusively do little arm circle things for exercise. Argh. Hate.

Last edited by Pinko on Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:33 pm 

And as a proud, chocolate-loving woman, I feel confident saying no 120-calorie diet snack bullshiitake counts as "dreamy."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:21 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

That Skinny Cow ad had terrible production values. I thought it was some kind of homemade fan video until the end.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:36 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Pinko wrote:
Excellent thread! Football season always seems to bring a fresh crop of stupid ads for me to work myself up about. Like this one:

Football! Manly, manly man-men! Everyone knows ladies pretty much exclusively do little arm circle things for exercise. Argh. Hate.

Oh god, yeah, Snickers has the market cornered on patronizing, misogynist advertising. Even their supposed 'feminst' ad was little more than a paternalistic, head-patting bait-and-switch: Snickers mocks the idea that men can respect women.

jean wrote:
Another currently hated one, is an ad for All Bran, which features a woman sliding down a long curvy slide to simulate the lower intestine and colon as if she herself is nothing but a giant turd - even Mr. J loses it over how insulting that one is.

I can't say I've ever seen that one, but you can immediately fix it by listening to the recent Comedy Bang Bang podcast episode with Tenacious D. Jack Black offers up a jingle that he wrote for All-Bran, pro bono, and it's been stuck in my head for weeks: "If you want a one-wiper/a CLEEEAAN one-wiper/...All-Braaaan!!!" I imagine singing that to yourself would make repeated viewings of that commercial more than bearable.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:47 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Oh the ads of football season. They're extra dumb because a lot of male athletes do pilates or similar womanly exercises because they are excellent for flexibility and core strength. The idea that males just lift 500 pound weights in the gym, grunt, and go out and compete is ridiculous.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:24 am 
Not NOT A Furry

It's not a commercial so sorry if this doesn't belong here, but this fairly recent NHS campaign really got me angry.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:06 pm 
Nailed to the V

UmmmmmNO. Victim shaming is the ultimate lose. Cheezus crust, people.

Now mine feels so petty, but basically EVERYTHING Hulu uses. The armpit commercial mentioned above ("beautiful little armpit?? wth?") and the Herbal Essences ad where the whole ad is about this sausage-loving "porkitarian" who calls herself a vegan because that makes her "sound like the kind of person who does yoga." This ad is also available in a minute-long segment, which gets even more infuriating. It's still the same thing but with more stupid dialogue. What does fake veganism have to do with freaking shampoo?!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:25 pm 
Chip Strong

oddspongeout wrote:
Now mine feels so petty, but basically EVERYTHING Hulu uses. The armpit commercial mentioned above ("beautiful little armpit?? wth?") and the Herbal Essences ad where the whole ad is about this sausage-loving "porkitarian" who calls herself a vegan because that makes her "sound like the kind of person who does yoga." This ad is also available in a minute-long segment, which gets even more infuriating. It's still the same thing but with more stupid dialogue. What does fake veganism have to do with freaking shampoo?!

Yeah, this is the one that I came here to post about.

It's so stupidly, pointlessly weird that I don't even care that much about the porkawhatever thing. I just care that they were trying so hard to make it weird and they were like "I know! Let's make the weirdo vegan! That'll really get our point across!"

Also, maybe put the victim-blaming ad behind a spoiler? That's just... ugh. I don't even know where to start with that one.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:28 am 
Dead by dawn

OK, that NHS ad is just horrible. I mean, the victim blaming is utterly despicable. But add to that the corollary: two out of three reported rapes happen when the victim hasn't been drinking. But you can't find a way to blame the victim for that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:53 am 
Flounceiad 2011

eatsbabies wrote:
oddspongeout wrote:

Yeah, this is the one that I came here to post about.

It's so stupidly, pointlessly weird that I don't even care that much about the porkawhatever thing. I just care that they were trying so hard to make it weird and they were like "I know! Let's make the weirdo vegan! That'll really get our point across!"

Also, maybe put the victim-blaming ad behind a spoiler? That's just... ugh. I don't even know where to start with that one.
That is among the stupidest, most incomprehensible things I have ever seen. I feel dumber just for knowing it exists.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:40 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

If I had image-making skillz, I'd make a similar poster going

Spoiler: show
100%
of rapes
occur
when rapists
rape

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:57 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

All the Geico ads. Pretty much any ad I see from them makes me groan and want to claw my face off. First of all, that gecko went from posh to mockney over the course of a few short years, he is straight-up slummin' in order to seem cool. That pig of theirs is the only animated creature that's ever tested my vegan resolve to not harm animals. And the "How happy? This happy" musician idiots I can never even be annoyed by again, because after my friend pointed out the mandolin player's ever-present moose-knuckle, I can never unsee it when those commercials play.

Apparently all their ads are hilarious to a lot of people. That just makes me sad for humanity.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:00 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

jean wrote:
I don't even want to link to it, it infuriates me so, but the Dove, "dear armpit" ad. I find it so forking insulting. And when it's aired, it's always in heavy rotation- which leads me to believe it's working for them, and that angers me once again.

I hate that Dove ad, because I'm already self-conscious about my armpits! They're just making it worse!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:03 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
All the Geico ads. Pretty much any ad I see from them makes me groan and want to claw my face off. First of all, that gecko went from posh to mockney over the course of a few short years, he is straight-up slummin' in order to seem cool. That pig of theirs is the only animated creature that's ever tested my vegan resolve to not harm animals. And the "How happy? This happy" musician idiots I can never even be annoyed by again, because after my friend pointed out the mandolin player's ever-present moose-knuckle, I can never unsee it when those commercials play.

Apparently all their ads are hilarious to a lot of people. That just makes me sad for humanity.

I kinda thought the caveman ads were funny, but that's where the Geico chuckles ended for me.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:23 pm 

Oh, god. THAT PIG. I hate that forking Geico pig. He's like a smug little douchebro in porcine form.

Agree all Geico ads are terrible. (And there are so many of them!)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:26 am 
Nailed to the V

pickledtreats wrote:
I hate that Dove ad, because I'm already self-conscious about my armpits! They're just making it worse!

Especially since Dove is Unilever and I guess us vegans can never have "beautiful little armpits!"

(Also what annoys me every time is the thing about how people "don't treat [armpits] like skin" because they shave them and wax them. How is that exclusive to armpits?)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:09 am 
Nailed to the V

oddspongeout wrote:
(Also what annoys me every time is the thing about how people "don't treat [armpits] like skin" because they shave them and wax them. How is that exclusive to armpits?)

I think what they secretly mean is "people don't agonize over the acceptability of their armpit skin... enough. That stops today!"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:29 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Pinko wrote:
Oh, god. THAT PIG. I hate that forking Geico pig. He's like a smug little douchebro in porcine form.

YES. I thought I was the only one who felt this way, god bless you all.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:34 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

The Geico pigs one
the samsung(?) one with the two kids, something about amazon something? (sorry!)
the paypal one with the blonde woman that keeps claiming ordering stuff online is not simple (when she clearly means inconvenient)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:13 am 
WRETCHED

There was a commercial on Pandora yesterday that was defending "Redskins" as a team name. It was basically a couple 'native americans' saying that they are proud to have a football team named after them and they are proud to be red skinned.... and then 'white' people saying "wow, I love the name Redskins and knowing Native Americans are ok with it too makes it even better". And they have a website/FB page and what is worse is they have 99k likes on their FB page.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:23 pm 
Chip Strong

Rebekah wrote:

I think what they secretly mean is "people don't agonize over the acceptability of their armpit skin... enough. That stops today!"

Yes, I agree, and that's why the ad upsets me so much. The majority of advertising aimed at women uses the technique of reinforcing our insecurities, or this case creating one where there wasn't one previously.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:36 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

jean wrote:
Rebekah wrote:

Yes, I agree, and that's why the ad upsets me so much. The majority of advertising aimed at women uses the technique of reinforcing our insecurities, or this case creating one where there wasn't one previously.
Exactly, and of course it does so to profit from them. I remember Colbert addressing this awhile back.

http://racked.com/archives/2011/04/14/s ... rities.php

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:58 pm 
Chip Strong

Oh, I love that Stephen (or is it Steven) Colbert stuck it to the armpit ad bullshiitake - that video doesn't play for me, but I get the idea.