| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kindle in another country
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:32 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Does anyone know what happens with pre-orders that are released when the Kindle is in another country? I'm going to be in England when Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen is released and I don't know if the order is delivered as usual or if it's dependent on the IP. I know that I can't order Kindle books from my amazon.co.uk account when I'm in the US, and vice versa, but I'm wondering what happens with pre-orders. Google hasn't come up with anything and it will probably be a few days before I hear back from Amazon...if I hear back at all.

The obvious answer is to act like a grown-up and wait patiently, but I've invited a bunch of people for dinner that Wednesday and I'm dying to try new recipes from the book.

Post subject: Re: Kindle in another country
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:41 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I don't think the IP address matters--its the billing information that counts, at least as far as I can tell.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:43 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

It should be based on your account and which server you log into, not your IP address. (That is, your device will most likely connect to amazon.com, not amazon.co.uk.)

I suspect that if you're using the cellular whispernet thing, it probably won't work. (I haven't checked about whispernet roaming, though-- I just doubt it will work since cellular networks are different in the US and overseas-- US cellular networks are nightmarishly outmoded, pretty much.)

If you're using wifi to connect to the internet, it should work pretty much just like it does in the US, since your account is US-based.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:51 pm 
And you never will.

When I was in England over the holidays, an e-book I'd had on hold from my local library became available and I was able to download it without an issue (they do it through Amazon), so I'm assuming it would be the same for a book you preordered.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:30 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Thanks, everyone! I just did what I should have done in the first place. I looked on UK Amazon and it's being released there on the same day as the US. I ordered a hard copy to be delivered there and hopefully it will come on the 19th.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:12 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I am right now experiencing troubles to buy ANY (vegan cook)books from amazon - they seem to have switched things around. I have so far (since 2011) bought about 100 ebooks to my Kindle which is registered as being used in Sweden but I have hitherto had to use the US site for buying stuff. Now NOTHING is buyable for me! (Getting "we could not complete your purchase. Kindle edition prices differ by country. The price for this kindle edition is different for your country & is displayed below. Please click buy to complete your purchase" for EVERY book I've tried today!