| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Podcast me!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:32 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I currently listen to (and would recommend):
-BBC R4 Friday Night Comedy
-BBC R4 Comedy of the Week
-BBC R4 Seriously ... (used to be Documentary of the Week)
-The Infinite Monkey Cage
-Talking Naturally
-This American Life
-Radiolab
-Progressive Podcast Australia
-The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe

I work from home and travel for work a lot so I get a lot of time to listen to podcasts!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:25 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Has anyone else been listening to Lore? It's been up for a while (started in March 2015) but I only just heard of it. It's a New England-based author who tells spooky true stories. I slammed through the first five last night and had to force myself to turn it off and go to sleep! First episodes covered the origin of the Dracula mythos, a 16th century German werewolf, a haunted railroad tunnel in Massachusetts, and elves.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:51 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Has anyone else been listening to Lore? It's been up for a while (started in March 2015) but I only just heard of it. It's a New England-based author who tells spooky true stories. I slammed through the first five last night and had to force myself to turn it off and go to sleep! First episodes covered the origin of the Dracula mythos, a 16th century German werewolf, a haunted railroad tunnel in Massachusetts, and elves.

Well, I am now! That sounds amazing!

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:57 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

kfad wrote:
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

Well, I am now! That sounds amazing!

DUDE. I'm on 15 now and I can't stop. It's gonna be really rough to get caught up and have to wait two weeks between episodes!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:36 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I powered through the first three this morning before work. And am so mad I can't listen at work.
The stories were so intriguing. and I love the connection to real stories.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:02 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Wow, I'm listening to it at work now, on episode 8. These are fascinating. The thing about TB and vampires was pretty interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:17 pm 
BAD PASS

I just started listening! It's really good.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:08 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Yay! Glad I got more buddies on the Lore train! I really think the mastery of his podcast is in him being an excellent storyteller. Some of these stories I've already heard before (H.H. Holmes' "Murder Castle", The Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, Colo.), but the way he presents them, especially his habit of tying the whole story together at the end with one final, chilling detail, is really compelling!

I gasped out loud and said "Duuuuuude" when he revealed at the end of the railroad tunnel ep that the missing demolitions expert
Spoiler: show
had been found in the spot where he'd accidentally killed two men a year earlier. He'd been strangled.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:35 am 
BAD PASS

ME TOO!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:05 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

+1 yummy for Lore! Thanks for the recommendation.

I'm also finding "Explain Things to Me" pretty interesting, I've only listened to a few so far but Card Counter was kind of fun.

Instagram: entropyandennui

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:53 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Getting closer and closer to being caught up on Lore, so I decided to start Limetown, which is fictional "documentary" podcast about a town of 300+ men, women, and children that went missing ten years ago. I would probably enjoy it more if it didn't sound so scripted, but so far I like it! Reminds me a bit of Welcome to Nightvale.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:59 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Ok, gonna start queuing up some Lore episodes now!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:51 pm 
BAD PASS

Pretty sure I'm gonna read his books.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:29 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Hollie wrote:
Pretty sure I'm gonna read his books.

I'm on episode 4 and I'm thinking the same thing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:56 pm 
BAD PASS

I downloaded a sample of his book Grave Suspicion. I still have a few pages left (because I was tired of reading in the bath tub), but I will definitely download the rest.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:34 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Thanks everyone! I'm checking out Lore and Stuff You Missed in History Class.

My list:

BBC R4's Seriously... - aka Documentary of the Week
KCRW's Unfictional - Diverse radio productions, mostly short (true) stories
The Art of Manliness - Ignore the name, this is mostly interviews with psychologists and people who have done interesting things. The Carol Dweck interview is a good place to start.
Welcome to Night Vale - although I think the quality has declined steadily, it's gone from a surreal short story series as told by a local radio presenter into a soap opera. I go back-and-forth on this.
BBC R4's Digital Human - Radio series on the effect of technology on human interaction.
Fugitive Waves - Short documentaries about interesting bits of history, using radio archives as a start.
KCRW's Here Be Monsters - More short true stories.
No Such Thing As A Fish - is basically QI: The Podcast as it's put together by the QI researchers.
Radio Diaries - Even more short true stories.
Serial - You know what this is (but actually I think the style is a bit derivative of a few others, particularly Radiotopia's podcasts).
BBC R4's Short Cuts - Josie Long hosts a beautiful series made up of snatches of conversation and disjointed documentaries.
The Allusionist - The First Lady of English Podcasting, Helen Zaltzman, presents a linguistics series.

BBC Radio 4 also did a radio series on podcasts, which is worth checking out... in podcast form. Almost everything R4 have done in recent years is available in podcast form.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:47 am 
WRETCHED

I don't normally listen to podcasts, I could just never get into them. I have started listening to Radiolab though and it is pretty fascinating.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:33 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

After catching up on this thread, I'm getting onto the downloading Lore bandwagon.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:32 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

If anyone enjoys Judge John Hodgman, he just released the episode he taped live for San Francisco Sketchfest. I was there and it's highly enjoyable!

when the couple arguing about water-saving methods was on and the woman mentioned the guy's dishwasher, I knew I couldn't have been the only one to scoff and say "a dishwasher?" That's a huge water suck right there, take your nasty dirty dishes bucket out of the shower and wash them by hand!
/Californian outrage

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:38 am 
WRETCHED

I've been listening to Radiolab and I love it. I listened to Birthstory even though it isn't something I'd choose by the name but it was about gay couples and foreign surrogacy. Then I listened to The Rhino Hunter and it is a horrible story, I shouldn't have listened to it. I had to go look for the Cold War on youtube and it was hilarious (they pulled it off their site for not giving proper credit).

I also really enjoyed Smile My asparagus. Well most of them I've enjoyed. So yeah.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:52 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
If anyone enjoys Judge John Hodgman, he just released the episode he taped live for San Francisco Sketchfest. I was there and it's highly enjoyable!

when the couple arguing about water-saving methods was on and the woman mentioned the guy's dishwasher, I knew I couldn't have been the only one to scoff and say "a dishwasher?" That's a huge water suck right there, take your nasty dirty dishes bucket out of the shower and wash them by hand!
/Californian outrage

Wait, I have always heard dishwashers are generally more water wise than hand washing (don't destroy my dishwasher fantasies!)

I listen to most of the podcasts listed here. I only listen to CBB religiously, but I like a lot of the shows on Earwolf.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:46 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

couroupita wrote:
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:

/Californian outrage

Wait, I have always heard dishwashers are generally more water wise than hand washing (don't destroy my dishwasher fantasies!)

I listen to most of the podcasts listed here. I only listen to CBB religiously, but I like a lot of the shows on Earwolf.

Hmmm, that got me curious. I found this on Sac Bee: http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/califo ... 93342.html

which stupidly assumes that if you wash dishes by hand you're just letting the faucet run all the time, which is ludicrous! I give my dishes a "Navy shower"-- I spray enough water to get them wet, then turn off the water, scrub with a soapy sponge, stack them to the side of the sink, and once everything's lathered up I turn the water on again to rinse. I can't say for sure, but I'm pretty sure I'm using less than 6 gallons of water per load!

I also love CBB! I ordered a Hey Nong Man shirt ages ago and I'm still waiting for it. Hurry up, jerks!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:36 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

These aren't new, but I just listened to the interviews of Sir Ian McKellan and Sir Patrick Stewart on what the fizzle, and they were great. I haven't regularly listened to what the fizzle in a couple years, but I think I'm going to start back up. Marc Maron has gotten pretty great at interviewing people.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:22 pm 
BAD PASS

Um. I just got to the doll episode of Lore.

The final line -- AHHHHH!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:30 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Oh hi, here are some nightmares for you: http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/robert-doll

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next