| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Podcast me!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:15 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Gulliver wrote:
Can anyone recommend any non-English podcasts? I'm looking for French or German ones, mainly. It's hard to know where to start without finding a lot of rubbish.

what are you looking for? Comedy? Information? Stories?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:00 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

TomeOrnottome wrote:
Gulliver wrote:
Can anyone recommend any non-English podcasts? I'm looking for French or German ones, mainly. It's hard to know where to start without finding a lot of rubbish.

I really enjoy facty/story podcasts like Radio Diaries and Serial and Stuff You Missed in History Class.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:32 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Gulliver wrote:
TomeOrnottome wrote:
Gulliver wrote:

I really enjoy facty/story podcasts like Radio Diaries and Serial and Stuff You Missed in History Class.

I think my friend listens to a podcast on science in French. The others I know are comedy or information style. I'll ask him what the podcast is.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:38 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I couldn't do Radiolab's "Cathedral" episode. If I hear a child crying I cry too. It's a really sad episode about a child with cancer.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:34 am 
BAD PASS

I started listening to NoSleep -- but people keep coming up and talking to me and I keep having to pause it. It's weird, because no one had anything they needed to say before I started playing it! PSP-ing over here!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:19 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Any CBB fans, a live tour was announced a few weeks ago! I just got tickets for May in Oakland.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:15 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Maybe I will see you there, dude!

I just became a No Sleep season 6 passholder! I want to hear the dramatized Search and Rescue stories.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:56 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Did anyone listen to the free episode of The Mysterious Secrets of Uncle Bertie's Botanarium that CBB released? I've resisted all attempts to now but I might have to try the Widow Howl App to listen just to that show. I consider keeping it together on a crowded commuter train while listening to a audibly detailed dramatization of a cat being milked for a thirsty tavern customer one of my more significant accomplishments in life. That shiitake was hysterical.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:34 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I listened yesterday but I couldn't really get into it. I was distracted though so I'm going to give it another shot!

I've been wanting to try the Widow Howl App for a while, but got overwhelmed by all the new podcasts they have!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:20 am 
Saggy Butt

My favourite podcast of all time is A Podcast to the Curious which is super-niche and really only entertaining if you like the ghost stories of M.R. James!

I also like the Vegan Warrior Princesses Attack podcast, and The Bearded Vegans (already mentioned).

Rise & Resist has been recommended to me but I am yet to get round to listening properly.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:23 am 
BAD PASS

I listen to Rise & Resist sometimes, but it's not on my regular rotation -- though I was listening to it on my way in to work.

It makes me want to get super into lifting (or at least, learn what the terms they use mean). Their voices/manner of speaking annoy me just a little bit, but I'm trying to work through it, because I think they're really smart and interesting people.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:33 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Rise & Resist looks really cool! I got a few of their episodes. Thanks ladies!

Lately I've been really enjoying:
- Flash Forward, about hypothetical futures, it's 1/3 radioplay 2/3 journalism
- Note to Self, about tech stuff as it relates to being human
- The Longest Shortest Time, about parenthood (very broadly defined)

...all by females hosts, as it turns out!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:46 am 
Taco Scientist

I've been enjoying Flash Forward too!

I also like the new comedy podcast 2 Dope Queens with Jessica Williams.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:10 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Is anyone (maybe Canadians?) listening to Someone Knows Something? The name sucks and the song they play at the end makes me want to scratch my eyes out but I'm getting very interested in the investigation they're doing into Adrien's disappearance.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:36 pm 
BAD PASS

Hollie wrote:
Their voices/manner of speaking annoy me just a little bit

I listened to a couple episodes today and I really like them and I hate that I said that. I TAKE IT BACK!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:26 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Moon wrote:
Is anyone (maybe Canadians?) listening to Someone Knows Something?

I am now! I downloaded all the eps thinking "I've got a long flight ahead of me, why not" and it was so compelling. I think the song is beautiful but so thematically out of tune with the subject matter. I haven't listened to the most recent yet, left off with the sniffer dogs.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:34 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Moon wrote:

I am now! I downloaded all the eps thinking "I've got a long flight ahead of me, why not" and it was so compelling. I think the song is beautiful but so thematically out of tune with the subject matter. I haven't listened to the most recent yet, left off with the sniffer dogs.

I really enjoyed the sniffer dog episode - I haven't been that fully tuned into a podcast ep for a while! I thought I had a decent idea of what scent dogs are capable of but I was wrong and everything was so fascinating. The most recent episode was quite interesting, too.

Can't wait for what comes next, and I have to wonder if this investigation will end up going somewhere in the long run. Right now it seems like it could be, but maybe I'm reading too much into things.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:29 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

For all of you scary podcast lovers, this week's episode of Sampler is for you!
https://gimletmedia.com/episode/11-my-s ... n-my-butt/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:07 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Moon wrote:
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Moon wrote:

I really enjoyed the sniffer dog episode - I haven't been that fully tuned into a podcast ep for a while! I thought I had a decent idea of what scent dogs are capable of but I was wrong and everything was so fascinating. The most recent episode was quite interesting, too.

Can't wait for what comes next, and I have to wonder if this investigation will end up going somewhere in the long run. Right now it seems like it could be, but maybe I'm reading too much into things.

I have to say, the rural Ottowan twang is fascinating! I definitely hear hints of the melodious sing-song accent of Nova Scotia (studiously observed while watching Trailer Park Boys).

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:54 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Victor/Tiny/Willie's apple tree song/Prince tribute on this week's Comedy Bang Bang! pretty much killed me. I'm dead now, this is a ghost typing. Even crazier to realize they recorded it right before Prince died. Stars, alignment, all that.

ETA: The apple mouth noises were totally disgusting but also hilarious, and the humor overrode the grossness for me. Brandon Small always has the funniest audio gags- now I'm remembering Victor and Tiny's "podcast" that was basically just a loud humming noise with barely discernible dialogue in the background. I hope someone gives him another TV show sometime soon.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:13 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Wow, thanks for the referral to Someone Knows Something. What an interesting "story" and makes my heart hurt just thinking of a young family member simply disappearing. I sure hope the family can get some kind of closure.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:07 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

A nice but low-key shoutout to veganism in the fish have feelings episode of fresh air from earlier this week.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:44 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

CBC is killing the podcast scene lately. Their newish one, Love Me, is so beautiful. I decided to give it a go but figured it would be sickening but instead the stories are sad and thought provoking and I cried listening to one on my way home. Highly recommend.

The one where the woman who found out a man was in love with her right before he entered the priesthood had me completely absorbed.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:36 am 
Saggy Butt

I'm nearly at the end of Someone Knows Something right now. It's so beautifully narrated, and he really gives you a great picture of everyone and everything. The accent is so intriguing! It reminds me sometimes of folks I know in the west of Ireland.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:32 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

If anyone else is into true crime (I know you're out there on the PPK), I've gotten into some really fascinating podcasts lately:

-Sword and Scale: weekly-ish, free full back catalogue, also has a great website with more articles & content. Very thoroughly researched and professionally presented.

-True Crime Garage: tonally opposite to Sword & Scale, but just as well-researched and I think they still manage to show respect for victims/survivors/families. It's literally just two guys drinking beer and talking murders in their garage in Cleveland. They're probably not dudes I would hang out with in real life, but somehow their podcast strikes that perfect balance of friendly/approachable and professional.

-Casefile: this one is a labor of love but you can tell the guy has really been making improvements lately, buying better equipment, getting sponsors, etc. It's out of Australia so a lot of the crimes are ones I've never heard of here in America, although he covers crime in other parts of the world, too. The only drawback is the guy has a really thick accent and it kind of grates on me after a while (but that's just a personal preference).

-Unsolved Murders: True Crime Stories: this one is fairly new and I'm still on the fence about it. It's every other week and the hosts and a range of voice actors explore a historic unsolved murder through both narration and old-timey radio play-style vignettes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next