| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Serial Podcast
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:12 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Anyone else completely obsessed? I'm at the point where I'm reading blogs and listening to podcasts about the podcast. It's bad.

For anyone unfamiliar, Serial is a new podcast by the folks behind This American Life, but it's one long story told week by week, so you have to listen to them in order. There will be spoilers, so if you haven't started listening yet (or haven't listened to the new episode that came out today) don't read any further.

I loved today's episode! I was absolutely giddy when the woman from the innocence project proposed taking on Adnan's case and loved all the wisdom and years of experience she brought to the story. At this point, I don't necessarily believe Adnan is innocent, but I don't believe that there was enough evidence to convict him. I am so excited to see where this is all going.

Post subject: Re: Serial Podcast
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:52 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I'm always a couple episodes behind so I try not to read that much about it (PPK spoilers are ok, I just don't want to feel like I can skip an entire episode because I already read about it), but I love it too! I also love the amount of speculation in blogs, etc., even if I don't really read them. When they're like, does Sarah Koenig think he's innocent, etc. My friend and I were talking about it the other day and she asked if I thought Adnan did it. I don't think I can even evaluate that yet w/o knowing what was presented at trial. The last episode I heard was Route Talk where the producers try to drive from the school to Best Buy in the amount of time it would have had to take.

Spoiler: show
I was totally expecting them not to be able to do it. But then when they did it and Adnan was shocked, I wonder if he had overestimated how long it took for the buses to clear out of the school.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:54 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Yes! I haven't listened to today's yet, but I'm really into this show. It's fascinating and sad.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:53 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I haven't listened to today's yet either, but I LOVE this show. I am actively restraining myself from writing motions on Adnan's behalf. I'm not sure what I think yet in terms of whodunnit.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:43 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I'm listening, but I'm not caught up with today's! maybe let's put spoilers behind tags in this thread because I don't think there's a big enough audience to have separate threads and because i think we can still have a discussion about the show without posting exactly what happened on each episode.

jordan, it must be super interesting to you with all your law knowledge! to me, i'm listening from the perspective of 1. someone who was a senior in high school at the same time as them 2. as an obsessive murder/cop show watcher.

i had a controlling boyfriend with a pager in 1999! being the same age as them freaks me out. it just makes me put myself into all of their shoes, which i'm sure we are all doing anyway. except for jay's shoes. I really can't even comprehend his motivation for anything, regardless of whether or not some of what he says is true.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:07 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I'm really into it too, every Thursday as soon as I get into work I start up the new episode to have on in the background of my work. Jay confuses me too, I don't understand why he'd come forward if he truly did help as much as he did unless he was really guilty of much more or covering for someone who was.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:46 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Fee wrote:
I'm really into it too, every Thursday as soon as I get into work I start up the new episode to have on in the background of my work. Jay confuses me too, I don't understand why he'd come forward if he truly did help as much as he did unless he was really guilty of much more or covering for someone who was.

Yeah, I listen as soon as I get to work Thursday morning. Today's was so good!

I hope there's a real resolution, but I'm getting increasingly convinced that the season will end and we won't be any closer to knowing if Adnan's guilty.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:57 pm 

pastabake wrote:
Fee wrote:

I hope there's a real resolution, but I'm getting increasingly convinced that the season will end and we won't be any closer to knowing if Adnan's guilty.

yes, i am so worried about that! i hope they wouldn't have decided to make a story with zero resolution into a podcast, but i dont know!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:01 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Yep. I'm way too invested in it at this point.

Today I forgot my headphones and couldn't listen to the new episode during my run, and I felt genuinely sad.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:12 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

ijustdiedinside wrote:
pastabake wrote:
Fee wrote:

yes, i am so worried about that! i hope they wouldn't have decided to make a story with zero resolution into a podcast, but i dont know!

It seems absurd to try to make a true story fit into a fictional narrative, but I really need to know if Adnan really did it. But then I feel bad for treating this true story with a real dead girl, and a real man in jail try to fit into my narrow view of what an entertaining podcast is. I am slowly trying to divorce myself from the feeling that I need a tidy conclusion and just focus on enjoying the story as it's unfolding. Otherwise I'm going to drive myself bananas.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:32 pm 

Oh my god. Serial makes me excited to go to work on Thursdays, because my coworker and I listen together.

I was excited to see the Innocence Project get involved this week.

I have a (pretty flimsy) theory so far? Can I share it under spoilers? Eh?
Even though Jay is obviously lying, I think that he has too many details right. At one point, he calls himself the "criminal element" at the school. I think he and Adnan smoked a bunch of weed or something at some point, and Adnan talked some tough shiitake about killing/getting revenge on Hae, which developed into some sort of situation where one of them proposed Jay kill her. Jay kills her and demands payment or whatever Adnan's side in the bargain is. Adnan freaks out/won't pay up. Jay has enough info to incriminate Adnan. Blackmails him. Adnan can't say tell the truth, because that's incriminating, too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:45 pm 

Nebraskalaska wrote:

It seems absurd to try to make a true story fit into a fictional narrative, but I really need to know if Adnan really did it. But then I feel bad for treating this true story with a real dead girl, and a real man in jail try to fit into my narrow view of what an entertaining podcast is. I am slowly trying to divorce myself from the feeling that I need a tidy conclusion and just focus on enjoying the story as it's unfolding. Otherwise I'm going to drive myself bananas.

youre definitely right, but i wonder...has she said if she was planning on doing this as a podcast from the beginning of her investigation? i dont really see how she could have known it would be so interesting, so in my deepest of hearts, i'm thinking she wouldn't have put this all out there as a story if it didn't have a conclusion?

one thing i've noticed is that because this is a real case and not fiction, i find myself appropriately disturbed/saddened/horrified etc. i was worried that i am desensitized to stuff like this because of how much gruesome stuff i watch and read. i'm glad to know that i'm still human inside.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:15 pm 

She's been quoted as saying she doesn't know how it will end.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:10 am 
Asked Santa for a pony

But...maybe she's... lying? Probably not.

I think SK researched this case a lot before they started taping and had what she felt was a really solid theory that she's not sharing with us yet. Maybe.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:02 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I listened to last week's (the one before the innocence project) and

It really does make Adnan look guilty that he never called/paged Hae when she was missing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:10 am 
BAD PASS

I'm gonna download them for my road trip.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:58 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

OK, I downloaded these since this thread and about three other things have brought it to my attention yesterday. I listened to the first ep last night, it was good! Can't wait to listen to the rest. I like this format, and I like that they're calling this 'season 1' because I know there will be more in the future.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:35 pm 
protein lump

i haven't listened to the last two episodes because michael and i save them for trips to jersey. we're both totally into it. we blew through the first 5 episodes in a weekend.

i want adnan to be innocent and i need to know what the deal is with jay.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:27 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Dave the Cat wrote:

It really does make Adnan look guilty that he never called/paged Hae when she was missing.

If a person really did plot to murder someone wouldn't they go to great lengths to make sure they had a rock solid alibi, and to make sure their behavior doesn't look suspicious, and to remember or fabricate every single detail from that day? If he actually did it, wouldn't he be trying to call Hae to make it look like he was concerned? I can definitely buy that he was just depending on his other friends for information and that doesn't strike me as a significant "gotcha" piece of evidence in this case.

And that's actually why I lean toward Adnan being innocent...his behavior doesn't scream premeditated murder to me. I think if he did kill her he would have answers for everything and there might only be one big hole in his story instead of a thousand tiny holes.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:10 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Nebraskalaska wrote:
Dave the Cat wrote:

If a person really did plot to murder someone wouldn't they go to great lengths to make sure they had a rock solid alibi, and to make sure their behavior doesn't look suspicious, and to remember or fabricate every single detail from that day? If he actually did it, wouldn't he be trying to call Hae to make it look like he was concerned? I can definitely buy that he was just depending on his other friends for information and that doesn't strike me as a significant "gotcha" piece of evidence in this case.

And that's actually why I lean toward Adnan being innocent...his behavior doesn't scream premeditated murder to me. I think if he did kill her he would have answers for everything and there might only be one big hole in his story instead of a thousand tiny holes.

I agree with you more for adults than for teenagers. I can totally see teenagers thinking they did a good job but forgetting about all kinds of little things, especially if they're smoking pot. Premeditation doesn't necessarily mean a well-developed plan. But you're right - if he did it he might have called to make himself look concerned. But I thought it was more like on TV when the suspect accidentally refers to the missing person in the past tense and that's when the cops figure out they did it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:26 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I think most teens are much smarter than adults give them credit for; of course, it's undeniable that there are stupid people of all ages. Also, if I murdered my ex and knew the police were going to come looking for her soon I would plan on not getting high that week.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:16 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I'm with Nebraskalaska - seems like Adnan was on the ball and probably would have thought to make some calls to cover his asparagus if he was guilty. As for the pot thing, there's no evidence it made him forgetful, and while maybe it will come up later, seems to me that if pot use could possibly bolster the prosecution's case, MUCH would have been made of it.

I thought what was more interesting was the stuff about the parking lot where he allegedly strangled her and put her in the trunk of his car. There's something about that location that doesn't quite add up - the stuff about the lack of surveillance/security camera footage, the weirdness with the payphone that doesn't seem to have existed, and the fact that a teenager could allegedly strangle a person and stuff the body in the trunk of his not-terribly-large car in broad daylight with no cover... I'm not sure what I think, but I think those things all point to something weird about that Best Buy parking lot.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:28 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I listened to episode three while fetching (and waiting for) my lunch. This is good, I'm into it! There are so many fascinating aspects to this story. Mr. S, oh my. What an interesting fellow.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:57 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

I started listening yesterday because I saw this thread! I couldn't stop! I've listened to all the episodes already and I really hope there's a real answer.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:42 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

You guys make me want to listen to this...binge podcasting, here I come!