| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu May 05, 2016 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Top Chef Season 13
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:46 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I searched...I can't seriously be the only one who's thrilled that a new season of TC is airing?

Guys--there's a vegan challenge in ep. 2! And they make the lamest things, but the best part is that Padma, Tom, Gail, and Ludo were all like "what the fizzle is wrong with you guys that you can't cook something amazing that's vegan? It's the easiest challenge ever!" when the chefs moan and complain about how hard it was to cook vegan. Gail was like "um, all you have to do is make ANYTHING that doesn't contain animal products?!"

Post subject: Re: Top Chef Season 13
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:30 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Yes!

Also, Grayson needs to go already. Seriously, how has she made it to round 3? With 400 BALLS and a salad?!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:03 am 
Semen Strong

Yay! I had no idea so thanks for the heads up!

I was so happy Mei Lin won last season but am still sad that Nina didn't win season 11. http://www.avclub.com/article/how-top-c ... and-201146

Also 400 Balls And A Salad is the best name ever.

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:32 am 
Semen Strong

OMG Grayson is so defensive at the end of episode 1! How is she so snarky? She made meatballs in a red sauce! I don't get how her response wasn't just to think "OK I can do better next time."

I remember her from season 9 - and she was generally hovering around the bottom, but managed to stay in, and then towards the end picked up speed and did surprisingly well until she was cut. She's pretty and funny and has a lot of personality, but I really don't get why they thought she should be brought back.

I really love that they have two female chefs, talking about their wives with so much love and affection, in the first episode. Top Chef has always felt like a very LGBT friendly show, and I appreciate that about it. Such a reminder of how far our society has come in 10 years.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:13 pm 
Semen Strong

Woo watching the popup/vegan episode!

OMG Grayson, are you just going to moan all episode and throw tantrums because you aren't inspired by vegan food? The Vegan space was gorgeous and I'd love to eat in a place like that! Grayson making faces when she tasted the fresh herbs was just really childish. And not using the vegan ambassador was so silly. Best line "I feel like your green beans died for nothing."

What is up with all the cheesecake pictures of Renee? The pink bra peeking out from her chef whites as she sips wine was just odd.

I kind of love Frances Tariga-Weshnak, and how she casually drops in that she's cooked for the Royal Family in Dubai, even though she's the only sous chef competing.

I wish Amazon had a season pass for this show instead of you just having to buy them individually.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:51 pm 
Taco Scientist

Thanks for the heads up! I love this show, I didn't know it was back!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:11 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i have this on my dvr and have not had a chance to watch it yet!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:20 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

As soon as I saw that one of the teams was going to have a vegan meal to make, I knew it would be the worst one. All those James Beard nominees (though I guess I don't remember if any of the nominees were on that specific team...) and they couldn't each rock one plate of vegan food? I love that show since the contestants are so skilled but it's embarrassing that they run their own restaurants and can't make something delicious without animal products. Sad.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:11 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Tofulish wrote:
What is up with all the cheesecake pictures of Renee? The pink bra peeking out from her chef whites as she sips wine was just odd.

It's because she's sassy. So sassy.

Ugh, Grayson. She's phoned it in and made uninspired, boring food two challenges in a row and they're just keeping her around because she's fun to hate-watch and she creates drama. Like when she called out Renee for saying that she didn't want to just make a salad. If you didn't want people to say that your salad was boring, don't make a stupid boring salad. Ugh.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:45 pm 
Semen Strong

Yes totally! Grayson survives by being safely uninspired. If Renee had made a salad she might still be in.

Did you see that the filling on that beet was cashews and BREWER'S yeast? I wonder if she meant to use nutritional yeast. I think one of the judges said, I wouldn't put brewer's yeast into food I was serving people. The judges said her filling was heavy, pasty and bland. I think that if it hadn't been actively terrible, Grayson "400 balls and a salad" would have gone home. But seriously, 4 top chefs and they come up with a cauliflower dish with no real protein, a canned chickpea curry and bean salad. No wonder everyone wonders where we get our protein

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:34 am 

I just assumed it was nutritional yeast and Tom just didn't get it. I feel like a surprising amount of food people still don't know about nooch?

Mr "I invented cauliflower" sucks for pitting himself as this genius chef of vegan cuisine and then backtracking when they lost the challenge.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:50 am 
Semen Strong

Two people mentioned that it was Brewer's yeast, and in Last Chance Kitchen when the cheftestants have to cook with the ingredients of the other person's dish, you see that her basket includes a big container of Brewers yeast.

I remember thinking "well that's not going to taste good at all." It's one of those vegan 101 mistakes!

In Last Chance Kitchen, Tom made both of them taste their food before serving and tell him what they thought. I know the pressure in the competition must be fierce but it's interesting that people aren't tasting their food before sending it out. Except that one guy, who kept dipping his spoon back in after tasting it. I remember thinking that he would have been eliminated on Chopped for the hygiene error - they seem really tough on that kind of thing. Interesting how different chef shows have different focuses.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:01 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i watched the two episodes on my dvr finally. i feel like a few of the people are familiar from Food Network competitions. definitely Philip was on a bunch and i think Frances was on at least Chopped and Marjorie (?) looks vaguely familiar. same with the woman with pinkish hair whose name i cant remember.

i didnt think Renee was that bad. a bit strange for sure and the half naked chef pics were just like what the fizzle but otherwise she seemed ok. i think Grayson should have gone home way before her and is obviously being kept for controversy sake. ive only watched a few seasons of Top Chef so i dont think i saw her previous season. was she this obnoxious and whiny before? it seems like she thinks that since she was on before she should just waltz to the finale and win. seems like she should understand the best what is involved.

the vegan pop up was just soooo sad. i would have eaten Frances dish it looked and sounded yummy but i do get what they are saying about no fresh vegetables. i also was confused why she kept insisting the chik peas were organic. what was up with that?
i dont know what happened with Philip other than he obviously thinks he's gods gift to everything. also am i crazy or did he not say he was the king of vegan food because he had a restaurant where they only used vegetables (after earlier saying just that they were "vegan friendly")?????? i had my doubts when he said that and i just looked up both his restaurants and they definitely do not just use only vegetables. i will give him credit though that he was literally the only person who wasnt like "ohhh vegan how AWFUL"
but then when they lost he was like "well i think because we didnt have the ingredients other people had you couldnt compare and we were at a disadvantage" (or however he put it) and Padma was like "umm no?" HAHAHAHAH go Padma.
and Grayson's comment about how her salad would have been a lot better if she could have added pork fat made no sense. seriously who puts pork fat in a salad (unless she meant bacon?). here's this salad i have dressed in pork fat! yum!
i totally give the judges credit for basically telling them as professional chefs they should be able to make amazing vegan food and they all sucked. i feel like the day i see someone making a cashew based sauce on a cooking show that will be the day veganism will have arrived

ive used Brewer's Yeast in hummus before because a long time ago i bought a big jar to make something for the dogs (cant remember what) and i had it hanging around so i used it up that way and it definitely has a definitive taste and isnt as neutral as nooch so yeah that probably tasted really weird.

my favorites so far are Frances, the woman with the pinkish hair from Boston (woot Boston), Marjorie (?), and Amar.
Kwame (im not sure i spelled that right) seems so SERIOUS all the time. i mean i know it's a serious competition and it's probably really stressful but he's scaring me with his level of DO NOT CRACK A SMILE.

i cant stand the dirty guy who was using the spoon he put in his mouth to mix the food. that level of mess grates on me. you're preparing FOOD FOR PEOPLE TO EAT. gross. i wouldnt want to eat at one of his restaurants (though i guess as executive chef he probably has cleaner people doing the actual work)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:34 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Ahhh I've been so happy that Top Chef is back..though I was really bummed about the Vegan Challenge. Seriously...the only person who actually made a dish with Protein used canned beans...which Tom has a point about. In fairness I think using chickpeas is totally cool..but there was so much fresh stuff she could have added.

I'm finding this conversation about Brewers Yeast vs Nooch really interesting, because in Israel, it definitely IS the same thing...or at least they call it all Brewers Yeast...Or I guess the direct translation of the hebrew would be "Yeast for preparing beer" To me it seems to be the same stuff I bought as Nooch when I was living in the states, but maybe I'm wrong.

I also can't STAND the dirty guy. His station literally always looks like a landfill, and I would be so uncomfortable eating anything produced from there...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:38 am 

Actually brewer's yeast (as it's known here) is similar to nooch in smell and taste but it is INTENSE. So I guess a little could go a long way to making something taste somewhat noochy but it's a really overwhelming flavour. I just remembered in this conversation that I used to buy and eat brewer's yeast more than a decade ago when I was living in a small town on the prairies and I liked it sprinkled on stuff.

I was avoiding bringing up the organic canned chickpea thing because every time she said that (and it had to be at least three times!) I cringed. The editors want us to laugh at that. I just cringe. I think hers could have been a much more interesting dish, regardless of canned or dried chickpeas. There is so much cool shiitake at WF to put in a curry!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:42 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

yeah Brewers Yeast and nooch look the same (and maybe smell?) but there is definitely a taste difference. nooch has a milder more cheesy quality and brewers yeast is a much stronger flavor and i dont think anyone would ever want to use it to make a cheese sauce like you would with nooch.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:13 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

When I first went vegan I went to an all natural food store looking for nooch. They gave me Brewers Yeast and when I questioned them they assured it was nooch, just goes by different names (they said). It was not the same, now that I know better. I really tried to use that Brewers Yeast but just could not. Perhaps it was bad, I just don't know. I gave it to someone who immediately said 'there's something wrong with this nooch'. That store went out of business not long after that.

And FWIW, Grayson is the most annoying contestant. She will be around for a very long time as they 'need their villian'.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:30 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i have to say in this episode Grayson was a lot less annoying. im guessing because she did well. i imagine the next time things dont go her way she'll be back to being annoying and combative.

also Richard Blais annoys me. i dont know why. i hope he was just a guest judge on that episode and we dont see him constantly.

Spoiler: show
i am super surprised Frances was eliminated and i dont understand why. the other girl (Angelina?) has consistantly put up sub par dishes and consistantly been at the bottom but they eliminated Frances. i dont get that.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:47 pm 
Semen Strong

Watching episode 3 (thanks Amazon season pass!).

Grayson complaining "there were no sudden death quick fires on season 9 in Texas, and I'm not a fan." Dude you weren't even that good on Season 9. And the quick fire helped you. Grayson Team of One.

Isaac - "Swamp people on steroids" ha!

Kwame, the guy from the Bronx who sold candy on the trains to fund his catering business and then ended up going to Asia, is pretty impressive. I want to hear his story! He also just seems like a really low key, and nice guy. He was so sweet even when he apologized to Chad, and didn't have any of the competitiveness some of the others did. And he was so nice to Wesley. I also want to hear Frances' story, growing up without a mom and overcoming drug addiction sounds like a challenging journey.

Amar seems to do a really good job, even when he doesn't win.

Angelina seems to do too much to everything. "you've tortured these ingredients." Yikes!

It's interesting to see how the guys seem to see the other guys as the biggest threat. Even though Marjorie won the last episode and has some of the best bona fides. And I really like Karen as well. Glad Karen won the head to head.

I do like Surf v Turf! Nice twist! And I like the stencils! Even though Tom hated them. The judges were so vocal when they hated dishes.

Hurrah for Kwame!!!

OMG so shocked that Frances was cut!!!!!!! Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!! Come on LCK!

I thought they were going to cut Angelina for sure!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:54 pm 

I'm on team Kwame and Angelina.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:04 pm 
Semen Strong

Ooooooooh the shit-talking on LCK is awesome!

I really love the focus on vegetables in this challenge. Unbeatable beets!

I watch LCK especially hard after Kristen Kish came back to win it all.

Garett is doing awesome! The narrative of first out makes you hope things work out for him.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:06 pm 

I wish I could get LCK!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:40 am 
Semen Strong

Watching episode 4! It's a Dry Heat!

Loved the solar ovens and the solar stoves! So cool, especially as they talk about how they used it in Haiti. Interesting that they are so susceptible to breaking of water is used. "Snot on a Rock" was the best line - warm oysters on a dirty rock, Manbun? Really? He keeps talking about how great a chef he is and yet he never seems to fully deliver. Yay for Wesley winning after 3 episodes of ignominy! And Jeremy seems to be doing really well! And of course Grayson complains....

Jason not being happy with the bro culture is going to become a thing if previous seasons are any indicator.

Gisele and Angelina refusing to work together because Gisele didn't like Angelina calling her a bisque because it doesn't seem like it was meant badly. But I guess it paid off for Gisele...

Karen and Jeremy seem to work so well together. I like both of them.

Phillip plating under a blanket was hilarious.

Yay blue team! Yay Karen and Jeremy! It's kind of hilarious that Jeremy essentially won for presentation with his ice. I bet his daughter will love the prize!

Grayson and Angelina being singled out for being the only inferior dish. Grayson, true to form is just so argumentative! Her last minute arguing with Tom was so silly, and then leaving while swearing up a storm yikes!

Can't wait to see LCK!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:01 am 
Semen Strong

Yay LCK!

So interesting that they told Grayson that she was being eliminated for not really going outside her comfort zone. Hahaha for Tom making fun of her trash talking. She is just such a whiny wildcard.

Yikes these are weird ingredients. Ginko nuts?

She was so shambolic I was shocked she won.
But I guess it's like any cooking competition we have to take Tom's word that hers was better and not just that they kept her around because they like the drama. I think some of Tom's calls have been so suspect (like having Nina not win) and he seems like he really enjoys his banter with Grayson, and I can see him keeping her around because he enjoys that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:04 pm 

Again, I can't see LCK but I am SO OKAY with ep. 4's elimination and winners. That was fun.