| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Halloween Movie Lists/Movie Log
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:32 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

There was this French suspense thing I watched called "Ils" that was pretty good.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:51 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Watching Hellraiser for the first time in 7 years, though I've seen it many times. I still don't like this movie. Not enough cenobites, too much over dramatic, skinless Eddy or whatever his name is.
Spoiler: show
And what the fizzle is up with that hobo turning into a dragon or some crepe and taking the cube at the end?

Phoenix wrote:
Can anyone recommend a haunting type of horror movie that I haven't seen already (or that's good enough to watch again), apart from The Devil's Backbone? I must stress I don't want things jumping out at me - horror is about being creeped out (preferably slowly), not about being startled.

Have you seen The Haunting? Both the orig and remake are good IMO. Also, Grave Encounters is about a group of ghost hunters in an insane asylum. It's not a jump out at you type film, more like it leaves you uncomfortable. It is "found footage" style, though. Haunting in Connecticut was OK, but Haunting in Salem was crepe.

ETA: American Huanting was fun if you like your ghosts kinda slappy!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:54 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm not sure I've seen Grave Encounters. Sounds intriguing, will have to investigate.

For now, I've dug out my Danish copy of Lars von Trier's "Riget" ("The Kingdom") series with English subtitles.
Especially the first miniseries is awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:58 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I caught Grave Encounters just the other day. Veeeery creepy. Great ambience.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:27 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

nickvicious wrote:

Did you like this one? Supposedly it's about a family from around my hometown, so I'm curious.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:42 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

creep wrote:
nickvicious wrote:

Did you like this one? Supposedly it's about a family from around my hometown, so I'm curious.

From what I remember, yes. I haven't seen it since it was in theaters so my memory is a bit hazy. I did like that it was (mostly) set in the 1800s. If you watch it and it sucks, I'll refund you 2hrs of your life.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:27 am 

nickvicious wrote:
Watching Hellraiser for the first time in 7 years, though I've seen it many times. I still don't like this movie. Not enough cenobites, too much over dramatic, skinless Eddy or whatever his name is.
And what the fizzle is up with that hobo turning into a dragon or some crepe and taking the cube at the end?

I agree there aren't enough cenobites, but as someone who just finished reading the short story it was based upon, it's really quite true to the book. If you're looking for more fucked-upness, try the 2nd one. I actually much prefer it to the first, and the hellworld they go into is awesome.
At the end of the book, the main girl runs out of the house and bumps into a stranger on the street who actually ends up giving her BACK the box, dubbing her its caretaker until another soul winds up with it and summons an unfortunate fate. It was The Engineer.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:25 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Okay, everyone: Grave Encounters is a lot like Indoor Blair Witch. It's kind of building up suspense every time they sneak around holding the camera into empty rooms, but every time something does happen... well, I just can't suspend my disbelief that much. Sigh. Also, way too much screaming.

For abandoned mental hospitals, I recommend Session 9. It's not too creepy, but I like it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:35 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

nickvicious wrote:

Ah, I watched this today too, though I haven't seen it before. I didn't like it at all. I guess I prefer horror movies with a little more suspense. I can do without the fake blood and the cheesiness.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:53 am 
WELFARIST!

Did any of you guys see Cabin in the Woods and is it any good? Sorta planning on maybe watching it tonight on my on-demand service.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:56 am 
WELFARIST!

seitanicverses wrote:
Did any of you guys see Cabin in the Woods and is it any good? Sorta planning on maybe watching it tonight on my on-demand service.

It's not scary but it's an awesome movie. Very funny and definitely for horror fans.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:05 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Mr. Shankly wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:

It's not scary but it's an awesome movie. Very funny and definitely for horror fans.

Exactly that.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:13 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

seitanicverses wrote:

It's beautiful! It's not scary-scary, but it has some funny-scary moments.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:42 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We watched Insidious last night. It has a lot of startling moments. I'm usually more into being creeped out than startled, but it was pretty good. I was pretty sure I was going to have nightmares.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:19 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Phoenix wrote:
For abandoned mental hospitals, I recommend Session 9. It's not too creepy, but I like it.

Just saw Session 9 a few weeks ago. Love the scenery. So creepy! And it's a real place, too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:54 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Watched The Thing today. Not sure if this counts as a horror movie though? I liked it anyway. But I guess the dog part in the beginning is more exciting if you don't understand Norweigan.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:05 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Love Child wrote:
Watched The Thing today. Not sure if this counts as a horror movie though? I liked it anyway. But I guess the dog part in the beginning is more exciting if you don't understand Norweigan.

Some people make a distinction between horror and sci fi, but I think it's an artificial division. I would say The Thing is horror sci fi, as well as Alien. Just because The Monster comes from outer space doesn't make it any less of a horror story.

Recently I've seen The Children, Primal, and Exit Humanity. The last one I liked a lot, but you'd have to appreciate that kind of story and pacing to enjoy it. The Children is very good. Extremely disturbing. I liked Primal a lot, too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:54 pm 

Love Child wrote:

I had to watch it on a bright afternoon and was terrified. Seriously, I was grabbing at my face, trying not to cover my eyes, and yelling "OH GOD WHY". Also, I'm a wimp.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:52 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

The Thing is great! I might even say that it's John Carpenter's best. The suspense! The scenery! The cheese! Even the soundtrack! The remake/prequel was crepe, though. And yes, I consider it horror. After all, it's John friggin Carpenter. Does he do anything else?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:19 pm 

Has anyone watched V/H/S? Pretty intensely violent/gory but overall a fun movie. I liked the anthology format, and of course some stories worked better than others for me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:06 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Spent all of Saturday at the Phoenix FearCON horror film fest. Was busy for a lot of the screenings but caught a few cool ones. Great selections this year and can't wait till next year!

House of 100 Eyes - this one won our Best Feature Film. It's about a couple trying to make a snuff film. Pretty intense, but it's unique and certainly horrific. I actually had to look away for one part.
Alex Chandon's Inbred - UK film. Pretty gory and lots of dark humor. Crazy British hillbillies are crazy and British. Liked this one better than House of 100 Eyes.
Tous les hommes s'appellent Robert (All Men are Called Robert) - Short film. This one won our fan favorite. Vegans would love this one, but I can't say why without spoiling it. Highly recommend.
Zombeer - another short. Really, the shorts were the best part of the night. This one was just as hysterical as Robert, if not more so. Bachelory, B horror fun.

At home:
Ginger Snaps - mrsbadmouth blogged about this one last MOFO and it's been on my NF queue since. Not a typical werewolf film. Not typical werewolves even. Still very good and looking forward to checking out the sequel soon.
The Burning - summer camp full of teenagers terrorized by a PO'd, disfigured, psychotic former camper. Sound familiar? Of course. Still, it's actually really bloody good (no pun intended). As a huge Friday 13th fan, I'd go as far to say that this is far better than the lion's share of the Jason films.
Deadgirl - totally disturbing. A couple teenagers find a living dead girl in the basement of a nut house and...well...one of them let's his teeny hormones get the best of him. Chaos ensues.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:38 pm 
WRETCHED

I can't stand gory horror films but I went through Amazon Prime's horror films and halloween films and queued up a few. Most of them aren't really halloweenish but that is ok with me.

The Hunger (David Bowie? I've never seen this)
Addams Family movies (1&2)
The Witches
The Haunting (it is a 1960s film)
Sometimes they come back (Stephen King based film)
Burnt Offerings
The Burrowers
Tale of a Vampire
Poltergeist

I was a bit disappointed that The Worst Witch (my favorite childhood halloween movie) wasn't on prime. Hocus Pocus was also not on prime.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:46 pm 
WRETCHED

Love Child wrote:
Ok, now I don't have to be embarrassed about not having seen The Shining anymore. The Stanley Kubrick version that is. I liked it a lot. I want to live in a hotel like that. All alone, without the spooky people.

Kind of disappointingly, the actual hotel is not isolated at all. The one that inspired the film that is, they filmed the exterior at a different hotel.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:30 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

They did a Ghost Hunters Halloween special at the hotel that inspired The Shining a few years back. If I remember correctly, some people on the internets ended up declaring a lot of the events a hoax which really burnt me. I wish it were more genuine, but genuine doesn't make the best TV.

And I totally need to watch Hocus Pocus. Haven't seen it since the 90s. There aren't enough good witch movies out there. How come nobody has taken it upon themselves to a good, adult witch film taking place in like 17th century. But not the Salem Witch Trials crepe because that's not scary and it's overdone. Kind of like Sleepy Hollow.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:03 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Watching a lot of indie horror movies as my boyfriend's movie (fake trailer) makes the film fest rounds...He has it up now. The set was vegan catered food & vegan props done by me:

http://youtu.be/TXFZXZIAQoU

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next