Post Punk Kitchen Forum
http://forum.theppk.com/

Halloween Movie Lists/Movie Log
http://forum.theppk.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22871
Page 1 of 5

Author:  creep [ Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:45 am ]
Post subject:  Halloween Movie Lists/Movie Log

I can't be the only one who gets started in the middle of September. I'm really making an effort to watch some cheesy horror at least a couple times a week until the end of October.

What movies are you watching/planning to watch in celebration of Halloween?

Last night:

The Stuff
Image

It was pretty terrible, but almost in a good way.

Author:  GymClassZero [ Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Halloween Movie Lists/Movie Log

I want to see "The Thing" again but I'm almost too afraid. Maybe the prequel?

Author:  Pyewacket [ Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Halloween Movie Lists/Movie Log

Recently I've seen:

Trick 'r Treat
Gwoemul (The Host)
Rammbock: Berlin Undead
Dance of the Dead
Deadheads
Cursed
Night of the Demons
Chō kowai hanashi A: Yami no karasu (A Very Scary Story: Dark Crow)
Casper

Some stuff in the queue:

Bakjwi (Thirst)
Bubba Ho-tep
Re-Animator
Dead Snow
The Mad
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Hocus Pocus
Tokyo Zombie
Ringu
Uzumaki (Spiral)
Ju-On (The Grudge)
Kansen (Infection)
Ranpo jigoku (Rampo Noir)
Janghwa, Hongryeon (A Tale of Two Sisters)
Suspiria
[REC]
Let The Right One In
In the Mouth of Madness
Chin gei bin (The Twins Effect)
Geung si sin sang (Mr. Vampire)
Sun faa sau si (Bio Zombie)
Shutter
Dellamorte Dellamore (Cemetery Man)
El espinazo del diablo (The Devil's Backbone)
La Horde
Mutants

Author:  creep [ Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Halloween Movie Lists/Movie Log

The Nightmare Before Christmas and Hocus Pocus are a couple of my favorite childhood movies. Also love The Devil's Backbone, Cemetery Man, and both versions of Let the Right One In. Is the queue all new stuff for you, or some things you've seen before? Good list!

Author:  Pyewacket [ Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Halloween Movie Lists/Movie Log

I've seen all of those except Dead Snow and La Horde. They've been on my "Gotta catch this one of these days" list for a while.

Author:  GymClassZero [ Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Halloween Movie Lists/Movie Log

Ooh I didn't like "Cemetery Man", but I loved both versions of "Let the Right One In". What do you all think of "Audition"? Creepy as fork.

Author:  GraciaKai [ Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Halloween Movie Lists/Movie Log

We have Hocus Pocus, the Monster Squad, Trick r Treat and tons more ready to watch! My husband has been counting down the days of summer waiting for fall and halloween.

Author:  julialegume [ Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Halloween Movie Lists/Movie Log

I had a DVD of all the Halloween Roseanne episodes. Best ever.

Author:  esme [ Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:28 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Halloween Movie Lists/Movie Log

julialegume wrote:
I had a DVD of all the Halloween Roseanne episodes. Best ever.

i think i might love you as much as i love jess.

michael hadn't seen creepshow so we watched that last night. the rule is, once my birthday is over, it's halloween until thanksgiving.

Author:  nickvicious [ Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Halloween Movie Lists/Movie Log

Hells yes to this thread. I've been on a horror kick for several months. Volunteering at Phoenix FearCon this year, so I've gotta get amped. Just watched the Descent *again* last night. That movie taught me that if I'm not claustrophobic, then at the very least I'm deathly afraid of being trapped under the earth's surface. Seen a lot of good off-the-wall horror films on NF lately. A few good ones I've seen on NF Instant are:

-Session 9
-Grave Encounters*
-PontyPool
-Atrocious
-Insidious*
-Shutter
-The Shrine*
-The Caller
-Dawning

*really f'n good.

Author:  GraciaKai [ Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Halloween Movie Lists/Movie Log

nickvicious wrote:
-Session 9

I thought we were the only people to know about and watch this movie!

Author:  creep [ Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Halloween Movie Lists/Movie Log

I might be the most claustrophobic person in existence. Anything with space/water/underground freaks me out. I've gotten a little better with outerspace stuff since becoming an avid BSG fan, but that stuff isn't even like Halloween fun scary for me. It just makes me want to puke.

Example: Event Horizon is the scariest shiitake I've ever seen in my life.

Author:  Pyewacket [ Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Halloween Movie Lists/Movie Log

GymClassZero wrote:
Ooh I didn't like "Cemetery Man", but I loved both versions of "Let the Right One In". What do you all think of "Audition"? Creepy as fork.


Oh my goodness, Audition is brutal, even by Miike standards. He's known for extremes, but most of his stuff is so over the top and the context is so surreal that the violence is almost cartoonish. I think it's the more realistic nature of this one that makes it so hard to watch. Incredible movie, but damn! Not the sort of thing I'd want to see over and over for fun.

Let Me In is very good. Very similar to, but also very different from Let the Right One In. I know some critics knocked it for not being as subtle, but that's just the difference of style. I think it stands on its own.

creep wrote:
I might be the most claustrophobic person in existence. Anything with space/water/underground freaks me out. I've gotten a little better with outerspace stuff since becoming an avid BSG fan, but that stuff isn't even like Halloween fun scary for me. It just makes me want to puke.

Example: Event Horizon is the scariest shiitake I've ever seen in my life.


That reminds me, I saw The Descent a couple weeks ago. Good horror movie, but probably not the sort of thing a person with claustrophobia would enjoy very much.

Author:  GymClassZero [ Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Halloween Movie Lists/Movie Log

Yeah, I don't think I could watch Audition again. *shudder*

I would like to watch Creepshow & Creepshow 2 again before Halloween. Those are always great. And oh! Dead Alive, anyone?!

Author:  Pyewacket [ Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:12 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Halloween Movie Lists/Movie Log

Dead Alive! Classic. That's the perfect example of a movie being so over the top its cartoonish. Incredibly gory and hilarious, and so outlandish it becomes almost sublime.

Author:  creep [ Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:34 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Halloween Movie Lists/Movie Log

Just discovered that a friend who claims to really be into "religious horror" has never seen The Exorcist. This must change immediately.

Author:  GraciaKai [ Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:37 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Halloween Movie Lists/Movie Log

creep wrote:
Just discovered that a friend who claims to really be into "religious horror" has never seen The Exorcist. This must change immediately.

Wouldn't that be religious horror 101?

Author:  Shy Mox [ Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:12 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Halloween Movie Lists/Movie Log

Speaking of religious horror, I really want to rewatch Jacob's Ladder, especially after taking that course on the Vietnam War.

I want to go back and watch a lot of old classics like The Innocents and The Haunting, and not so old ones like The Shining. I just like the older films for some reason, I'll have to compile a list soon.

And after reading Some Must Watch I'll have to watch the Spiral Staircase. That book kept me up all night.

Author:  alan [ Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Halloween Movie Lists/Movie Log

In the hokey-teen-demonic-stop-motion arena, I just watched The Gate again. Thanks, Netflix!

Author:  nickvicious [ Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:23 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Halloween Movie Lists/Movie Log

GraciaKai wrote:
creep wrote:
Just discovered that a friend who claims to really be into "religious horror" has never seen The Exorcist. This must change immediately.

Wouldn't that be religious horror 101?

No kidding. The Rite is a pretty good exorcism/possession film, too. Insidious is in part a possession/exorcism film, too and it's really, really good. One of the better horror films of the past decade IMO.

Pyewacket wrote:
Dead Alive! Classic. That's the perfect example of a movie being so over the top its cartoonish. Incredibly gory and hilarious, and so outlandish it becomes almost sublime.

And a Peter Jackson film believe it or not. I didn't care much for Dead Alive, but I did like Evil Dead 1 & 2. Another over the top cheesy gore fest.

Saw Case 39 and Uninhabited last night. Case 39 was pretty dumb. I tire of the creepy evil kid films. This kid wasn't even that creepy. Uninhabited was an Aussie flick that takes place on what was thought to be a deserted island. Evil appears, chaos ensues. Not too bad. Extra points for using classic themes in a beautiful island setting.

Author:  creep [ Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Halloween Movie Lists/Movie Log

GraciaKai wrote:
creep wrote:
Just discovered that a friend who claims to really be into "religious horror" has never seen The Exorcist. This must change immediately.

Wouldn't that be religious horror 101?


I know! That's what we all said, and he was like "I usually don't like films from the 70s." WHHHHHHHHAT.

Author:  Pyewacket [ Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:11 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Halloween Movie Lists/Movie Log

nickvicious wrote:

Pyewacket wrote:
Dead Alive! Classic. That's the perfect example of a movie being so over the top its cartoonish. Incredibly gory and hilarious, and so outlandish it becomes almost sublime.

And a Peter Jackson film believe it or not. I didn't care much for Dead Alive, but I did like Evil Dead 1 & 2. Another over the top cheesy gore fest.

Saw Case 39 and Uninhabited last night. Case 39 was pretty dumb. I tire of the creepy evil kid films. This kid wasn't even that creepy. Uninhabited was an Aussie flick that takes place on what was thought to be a deserted island. Evil appears, chaos ensues. Not too bad. Extra points for using classic themes in a beautiful island setting.


What a career arc: Meet the Feebles, Braindead (Dead Alive), The Frighteners, Lard of the Rings... wait, wut?

Oooh, I just remembered an Australian horror comedy called Undead that was fun.

Another movie for the list that I was reminded of thanks to the Halloween song mix I'm listening to: Samgeori Geukjang (The Ghost Theater). It's sweet and funny and not at all scary.

Author:  Shy Mox [ Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Halloween Movie Lists/Movie Log

Know what would be a fun project? Watch every single Stephen King adaptation.

Author:  julialegume [ Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Halloween Movie Lists/Movie Log

esme wrote:
i think i might love you as much as i love jess.

!!!

Shy Mox wrote:
Know what would be a fun project? Watch every single Stephen King adaptation.

Heck yeah. Langoliersssssssss.

Author:  Tenacious LD [ Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Halloween Movie Lists/Movie Log

I had no idea Dead Alive was Peter Jackson! I think that movie is hilarious!

I'll have to watch the new version you guys are talking about of Let the Right One In- I
kind of put off watching it because the old one was so spectacular.
And I just watched Stakeland- kind of a rip-off of Zombieland if you ask me.

Love all Guillermo Del Toro's stuff- spook-y. Especially Devil's Backbone. But my husband
is working out of state, so I really need to not scare myself too much this year.

Page 1 of 5 All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/