| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 591 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Writers "Kick in the Pants" thread
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:22 pm 
WELFARIST!

Worked on the CBC story yesterday and typed up changes. It's coming along and I have plenty of time for it. 1200-1500 words is a good length for this type of thing because as an idea, it could get irritating if drawn out longer. Who knows, it might already be irritating but I think if lively and hopefully meaningful enough, it should work at that short length.

Worked on the disgruntled customer story which is, again, in better shape that I expect every time I read it and always in a cynical and tearing frame of mind, prepared to hate it and be mad at myself for expending so much effort on a lost cause. But it's not lost! I think the turn in the story is okay, though I worry about it. It still needs work but I think it's near finished. But I always think that and it's almost never true.

Today worked on the long(ish) ghost story that just came back from a contest (without placing). It needs more editing and overall trimming, nothing drastic. I fixed one of the characters so she's more likeable because that was a problem. Wordiness and excess explanation and a couple of unnecessary scenes were other problems, in addition to a sluggish beginning and not-quite-right ending (the idea for the ending is fine, but the writing was off). All cut, cut, cut and rewrite, rewrite. It's really been the same on the whole from the get go though. The idea, scenario, setting, characters, all of it, beginning to end. Not so much evolution here from the original idea. Now I have to step back from it and check the pacing which might have gotten thrown with all my cutting and tighten any loose screws left. I'm pretty pleased with it at this point, it's pretty solid. Not sure anyone will accept it once I start submitting it but I think as a read, it's a fun ride. I feel like as a reader I might enjoy it if I came across it but it's hard to be entirely confident in such objective detachment when you're the author. It was definitely too long in length before but I feel that's fixed. I completely understand why it didn't place in the contest; that is no mystery to me. Most of the scenes are staying in they just need abbreviating.

Onward!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:38 pm 
WELFARIST!

Today I decided two of my stories suck, including the one I was pleased with yesterday. This dissatisfaction lead to six hour spree of me trying to fix them. Not sure that I have but stuff is happening. Good stuff, bad stuff, don't know yet. The CBC story is really bad like I'm not sure it's going to work at all but I'm still at it because it might be salvagable and I can turn it around. This is how it goes though, up and down, build it up, tear it down. I both tore and built today--usually I'm just doing one or t'other on any given day.

I am pleased with three poems though - one written in March, another in June and one worked on sporadically from July through September.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:09 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Ugh... this poetry thing.

I know it is where my voice is, but the stuff is just not there right now.

My writers block is so bad that I am seriously doing stuff like making (MAKING) a new poetry book so it is just the one I want.

I need to unplug and get off the internet. I don't write first drafts well on the computer.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:31 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Ummm... about that story I promised you some time ago... Here it is: http://www.thebigclickmag.com/the-lost- ... y-winters/ :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:17 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Phoenix wrote:
Ummm... about that story I promised you some time ago... Here it is: http://www.thebigclickmag.com/the-lost- ... y-winters/ :)

I like it! Thanks for linking it!

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:50 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

seitanicverses wrote:
This is how it goes though, up and down, build it up, tear it down.

yes! Love the process.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:57 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

kfad wrote:
Phoenix wrote:

:)) Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:49 pm 
WELFARIST!

kfad wrote:
Phoenix wrote:

Yay! Thanks for the link! I enjoyed your story! Congratulations!!!! Very exciting!!!!

pandacookie wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:
This is how it goes though, up and down, build it up, tear it down.

yes! Love the process.

Yep. I may sound like I'm whining sometimes or having a rough go but I always love it! Working on creative stuff makes my world go round. I couldn't wait to finish my paid work yesterday to go have another look at my creative work. I was, like, champing at the bit all day to get at it even though my last go was less than satisfactory...I'm always ready to tackle it with a fresh mind or perspective after some time away from it.

Prepared a poetry submission of the three latest poems today. Will mail them off tomorrow. This is one of the few places left where you still mail paper copies, but I like that.

Typed up changes to the CBC story. Still pretty much thinks it sucks but there's one funny scene in the middle that I think is something and because of that, I won't give up the story as a whole. Now it needs funny or lively scenes like that all the way through.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:27 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

seitanicverses wrote:
Yay! Thanks for the link! I enjoyed your story! Congratulations!!!! Very exciting!!!!

Thanks! Glad you liked it. <3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:13 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Insomnia doesn't always have to be all bad: Lay awake (or in a half-awake half-dream state) for hours last night - and finally got up because I had to write down the outline of a story I'd come up with while trying to go back to sleep.
Finishing another article this week - but confident I'll find some time for my creative writing as well. All I need now is a title and one missing plot element!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:50 pm 
WELFARIST!

Yay @ progress!!! ^ Even in the middle of the night, I'll take it!

Today, I worked on the ghost story that I thought was done, but it was not done, but it's pretty close to being done, methinks, and I worked hard on it today, adding details and flourishes to the characters and scenarios to further define them typed up the changes. Changed the ending a little bit, too. I think it's getting closer to what I want but I keep chipping away.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:42 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Good luck with the chipping! :)

Up since 6 - found the missing plot element. Guess this one is going to be something new as well... i.e. a YA story.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:09 pm 
WELFARIST!

Yay at finding the missing plot element. When you put it in place, does other stuff shift or become redundant or need changing or reimagining, etc?

More chipping away at two different stories today!

One I once thought finished, I start unraveling one thread and it all came undone. Well, I am rebuilding it and hopefully a better version. The characters are more developed this time around. But I'm coming close to murdering a few darlings now from the first version. And they still might have to go! For the good of the whole thing...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:09 pm 
WELFARIST!

Worked and typed up another set of changes on 2900 word second version of ghost story. I think it's coming along. Too in the middle of it and close to it right now to say but I keep working, nevertheless, toward a cohesive and hopefully pleasing end result.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:15 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

seitanicverses wrote:
Yay at finding the missing plot element. When you put it in place, does other stuff shift or become redundant or need changing or reimagining, etc?

Well, the basic outline developed out of something I imagined just for fun, something to do with making fun of the whole epic fantasy thing. But if I take that thing super seriously (which doesn't necessarily have to be paradox - it helps the story to be coherent), there's a whole world I can build around it... I knew I needed 3 main characters with different abilities to make this work, but I couldn't get the central problem right... of course, there's always the "saving the world thing", but that's just bleh. (Remember, this all happened very, very early in the morning.) Then I thought, what if I make them teenagers? When you're what? 14, 15, of course something like moving to a new place or changing schools or being grounded instead of going to an event you've been looking forward to forever sure feels like the end of the world... Besides, your world (i.e. your version of it, your perspective) is the only one you've got... So I played around with the plot elements I had - and as it turns out, my 3 main characters fit in really well - as a bunch of really brave kids. :)
Let's find out whether I can write them the way I imagine them.

Need to write about 2000 words of nonfiction this week, but I guess that's manageable. Then I can go back to my YA fantasy thing. :)

You're writing a LOT these days, sv! Glad to hear it's all shaping up nicely. Good luck with getting the stories done the way you want them!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:04 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Started a long poem yesterday while I was waiting for a friend yesterday.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:17 am 
WELFARIST!

Yay, kfad! I haven't written a long poem in ages. All my poems lately fit on one page and most have been as short as 50-70 words total. I have been conceptualizing a poem these last few days that might turn out longish (by which I mean it might spill onto a second page) but I'm not sure when I'm going to find the time for the attention it will need. I tend to squeeze poems in when I'm "in the mood", sort of thing or when I'm just not feeling my regular prose writing. Poetry writing takes a different sort of concentration than prose...kind of a different mindset for me anyway...more reflective and contemplative and stopping time and seizing that moment in poetry and stilling it to get it down as opposed to always driving forward and moving along, which is the main action of prose.

Phoenix wrote:
You're writing a LOT these days, sv! Glad to hear it's all shaping up nicely. Good luck with getting the stories done the way you want them!

I am writing a lot these days and I'm supposed to be "taking it easy". Ha! The truth is, the projects I have going these days are all very exciting to me and I'm thoroughly enjoying working on all of them and I sort of can't get enough. But that doesn't necessarily mean they're turning out the way I want on the page but they're mighty fun ideas to work with while I'm trying to get there.

Also, I want to return my attention to my novel come November so I'm trying to finish as much of the shorter stuff I have going as possible so I have pieces to circulate while I hibernate and hunker down into the novel come winter.

Yay! Keep writing everyone!!! <3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:08 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yes. It's not just time that's relative - also creative output. For years & years I've been thinking I should be writing more, and now this year I've had two articles and one short story up on other people's blogs & online magazines, and my brother goes, "When do you write all that? How do you find the time?" And I still think it's not enough (and I've written lots more that's still being read & may or may not get published). But it's the only thing I love that much, so I can't ever really stop. :))

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:42 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I don't usually write long poems. Most are short, very very short. I am most comfortable in a haiku.
But this one is sort of writing itself. It is taking more revision (naturally) than I am used to and I think that is very very good for me.

And I started a short story last night. Again, well out of my comfort zone. The plot is requiring a veritable spider web of a plot map. For a short story!

Which is all good. Because it is showing me that even at dirt old I am able to push myself!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:41 pm 
WELFARIST!

I'm re-writing much of my ghost story. Murdering ALL the darlings of the first version. All of them. This is carnage! It needs it though. It's a nice premise and it could be done so much better than it is now so I have to try. It needs stronger characters and scenarios so I gutted the entire middle and am reinventing characters and trying to make the connections deeper and more thoughtful and hopefully more interesting. Although the point in the first version was to be fleeting for the effect I was after then, but circumstances have changed and that's not cutting it in the new and revised version. I'm trying to type up the changes of the new path I'm taking tonight so I can have a fresh copy to work from tomorrow...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:48 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Go go go kfad!!!!

That sounds like hard work, sv! Sending you useful dreams... like that time I didn't even remember I'd dreamt anything, then sat down to write and realized that my protagonist had fallen in love with his best friend behind my back (and it did my story so much good). :))

I don't know how I did it, but I finished my essay on time! To be honest, it's a bit too short - but hey, maybe it's good enough so that won't matter as much. Anyway, I have a plan B for it, and I really kind of like what I wrote.

Hoping to find more time for my short stories soon. I have two fresh outlines I've done nothing with so far, and a friend who's involved with starting a new horror/weird/fantasy/steampunk/bizarro magazine has more or less requested one!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:32 pm 
WELFARIST!

Phoenix wrote:
Go go go kfad!!!!

That sounds like hard work, sv! Sending you useful dreams... like that time I didn't even remember I'd dreamt anything, then sat down to write and realized that my protagonist had fallen in love with his best friend behind my back (and it did my story so much good). :))!

it is hard work right now. The thing is, sometimes when I write, I put "place holders" into the story just so I can get on with a story in a given moment. (Place holders are basically characters or scenarios I devise on the fly that I tell myself I'll go back to later and rewrite or recreate because they're kind of compromised or lesser ideas but I just want to move on with things so put them in for now) but the problem is, I often wind up developing these weak links into the final version and in my ghost story, I decided in the final analysis, suffered too much from place holdering on the whole so I had to gut it all. I mean, it was charming and entertaining in parts but it's a rich idea that wasn't realized to it's full potential in my view. It will probably never be realized to the full potential I want but it could definitely be better than it was in the first version. So back to the drawing board for me on that idea! It's still the same basic premise and scenario but completely changed in the text with all new characters and everything. I wonder if it could almost be a novel seeing as there's so much to it and I am really getting so much out of it? But I don't want it to be a novel, I want a short story out of this material so that's what I'm still going for.

Thanks for the useful dreams I do need them right now as I'm a bit frustrated but back to the drawing board is sometimes part of writing.

I'm glad you finished your essay. I hardly was able to write when I was in school--school took up too much time so good on you. Yay for more outlines! New ideas always galvanize me. And the impetus to work on them for your friends mag. A new outline always revitalizes my writerly spirit! <3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:21 pm 
WELFARIST!

Typed up the latest edits on the ghost story 2.0. I don't know how it is yet but I think Imma take a short break from it now and work on other writing projects. I just wanted to get a complete draft of something on it done, beginning to end, to work from next time I pick it up but right now it needs a breather!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:53 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

It looks as though the poetry book is a go.
So initiate panic mode.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:38 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Aaaargh, I'm teaching two (!!) courses this semester - which is kind of cool, but on the other hand I don't find the time for any of my fun things right now. Really hoping the start-of-semester chaos will calm down soon, so I can read a book (for pleasure rather than research) and get some more writing done.

Last edited by Phoenix on Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 591 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 24  Next