| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 591 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Writers "Kick in the Pants" thread
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:44 pm 
WELFARIST!

Sent my entry off an hour ago via the CBC's online submission system like a modern times person! I was gonna print it off hard copy style and go to the post office and get it postmarked and all that like an old-timer, but it's super windy out today and I decided I dint wanna go out unless I have to. I'm always paranoid they won't be able to read my .doc files because I use .odt and convert before sending. But their automated response e-mail says they'll contact me if any problems with my entry and I would assume non-readability or trouble with my attached file would fall into that category.

Anyway, happy to have the story off the table. I think I'm kind of pleased with it, too. It's too soon out from working on it to tell right now but I don't cringe when I read it and that's a good sign. I've read it at least a hundred times over these last few days to proofread and edit and that tends to make me googly-eyed and I really don't ever want to look at it again right now. For a while, anyway.

This is a huge contest with a big prize and thousands of entries, so not a lot of hope for any kind of significant outcome but it's a story that I could send off somewhere again, methinks. Onward!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:56 pm 
WELFARIST!

torque wrote:
it's so funny, when i "sell" revision to clients it's all about that extra pair of eyes. i need an extra pair of eyes too. also:
Quote:
googling askew earlier...... just making sure I get the right slant,

snort

Seriously, I can't remember what but I googled but more pinning-down stuff today. Like what's more proper to say in this instance (in the story)? Chemical structure or the composition? In another instance: Arranged or positioned? what's the better word for what I mean there? - actually I didn't google that last one but making those kind of small calls this morning that you do at the very end of editing. Whittling down descriptions to their essential elements or adding a word or two for clarification where I think it's needed, playing with prepositions and pulling out commas where they shouldn't be cause I can go comma-crazy and does this phrasing require an em dash or semicolon? Putting stuff back that I earlier took out (once I start putting stuff back to a way it was, that's when I know editing is finally done). Just fine tooth combing through as much as possible with the same old worn out eyes!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:00 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

seitanicverses wrote:
I'm always paranoid they won't be able to read my .doc files because I use .odt and convert before sending.

this used to be the story of my life- i used to only use OO and never had any problem except for THAT ONE CLIENT who, even now that I am using the official $$$ word, insists that i let them get in my machine "to set my preferences". (Erm, no thank you.) Even so, the only issue anyone ever has, if they're not using Word 95 or something ancient, is just format stuff. You should be fine. I hope your story wins!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:33 pm 
WELFARIST!

Thanks so much for the good wishes!

My sister and I used to get e-mails from one friend of ours and neither of us could ever open her attachments. I always don't want that to happen when I submit stuff electronically. Now I'm worrying did I send them the most up-to-date version of the story, etc.? Well, I'm pretty sure I sent them the right file because I put the .doc file in a separate folder so it was the ONLY THING IN THAT FOLDER so I couldn't mess up. LOL, that's the way. I always feel better about sending hard copies in because I have the right version in my hand and I know they can read it because it's right there on the paper in b&w. So old-fashioned of me.

Well, I can really banish things from my mind. I'm already thinking again about my novel since it's Nano. I never thought I'd see the day but this short pieces writing blitz made me anxious to get back to my novel because now I see it as a "break" from short stories, etc. Then, when I get too heavy into the novel or hit a dead end or paint myself into a corner or feel unispired there, I turn to short writing again for a "break". Back and forth, back and forth. Well, it keeps me going!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:50 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Finished polishing a paper for a conference next week, so I'm actually enjoying a weekend of sleeping in, binge reading and eating pastries for once. Best thing: If I get bored, I can always work on another short story. No pressure! :))

Oh, and I managed to scare everyone at a Halloween party with my latest ghost story. All fingers crossed it will make it into the Hauntings anthology.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:11 pm 
WELFARIST!

^Woot! I hope the story makes it into the anthology! That collection sounds like something I'd read...

Reviewing the latest draft of my novel since it's Nano November. I will say that thus far, it's much more pulled together and focused than I remember the first (since discarded) draft being. I don't know if I mentioned I was using time travelers in it--only as a launching point it is not a time travel novel at all--but I actually sort of want to get away from using TT here--I've since been reading that in sci fi publications, time travel can be considered a pretty tired and a too-used premise (as are zombies and vampires - very generally speaking) and I don't think my particular application of TT here is very original so I figured out a way to get away from that without scrapping those characters and not really impacting the rest of the ideas of the book in general--which makes me happy. --I think. Of course, I figure a lot of things out which evolve into something else that needs to be further figured out until what you figured out in the first place seems a waste of time until you realize that whatever you figured out then never would have lead you there and then here to the latest figuring from where the ultimate story/novel/project idea will be born...and so it goes.

I know the novel is not going to ultimately wind up on the path it's currently on but I'm getting lots of suggestions from re-reading it as to where else it could go.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:17 pm 
WELFARIST!

Still reviewing the draft of my novel. Actually thinking of pulling a novella out of one section that could maybe stand alone (just to enter into a novella contest later in the winter--I think I need at least ~10,000 words for that) and that focus is keeping me going forward. Thus far in the reading, I think I have around three sections that could possibly be developed as something of a microcosm of the whole thing. Possibly. Still not finished reviewing the entire draft yet, either. Any one of these sections thus far would need a lot of work and expansion if that's something I'm going to do and at least thinking of those ideas keeps me working on those scenarios and developing their characters which is all work toward the final goal, anyhoo.

Not counting my progress in words yet, but worked for over an hour today already and, like three hours yesterday on stuff like this. Also writing new ideas going forward in my notebook that I can develop into other stuff in the story and there's actually a few promising things there. Whatever keeps me invested and is making progress in some way on the project, I'll take it!

I feel like I took a wrong turn towards the end when I was last writing it and not sure I want to pursue what I was last working on, but I'm not really there yet anyhoo in my review--but I get that sense. Or I set it out of order at the very least. That's all right, though and it's part of the whole deal. I'll have many other problems to work through as this goes on. Onward!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:42 am 
WELFARIST!

seitanicverses wrote:
I'm always paranoid they won't be able to read my .doc files because I use .odt and convert before sending.

Oh, man. I got an e-mail from an editor (not CBC--another anthology I submitted to a few weeks ago) yesterday saying they couldn't open my .doc attachment! Argh. So they asked me to send it again, which I did last night. This is for an anthology and they only take electronic submissions, which more and more publications are moving toward. I really appreciate this editor letting me know instead of sending a rejection letter or whatever outright as a response to being unable to read the file but, of course, now I'm worried about the CBC submission! I work so hard I just want my work to be read and considered like everyone else and not have it fall by the wayside because of a computer glitch. So much for me trying to be a modern times person! fork that. Now I'm convinced the CBC will not be able to read my story and they get thousands of submissions so I hope they'll contact me if they can't read my .doc but I'm not really confident because of the volume there. HARD COPIES ALL THE WAY. That's all I gotta say.

*Gets back in time machine and goes back to 1990 where words are still on PAPER.*

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:30 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Whew. I would have freaked about that, sv. Cool editor! Best of luck.

The conference totally ruled & everyone loved my paper. So chuffed!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:37 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Because of my cold I'm in a horrible mental state and I find it hard not to critisize myself while writing at the moment.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:37 am 
WELFARIST!

Phoenix wrote:
Whew. I would have freaked about that, sv. Cool editor! Best of luck.

The conference totally ruled & everyone loved my paper. So chuffed!

Woot about your paper! You worked hard and deserve it!

Yeah, I'm grateful that the editor let me know and let me resubmit. It's way before the deadline, too, so that helps me out. Oh, let me put a linksie to said anthology for Canadian sci-fi writers to the submission guidelines. It's a themed anthology regarding Gods and faith so see if anything in your repertoires might fit! I think the deadline December 31, 2013. Sorry, I think only Cdn writers are eligible. Details here: http://tesseracts18.com/tesseracts-18/

About my CBC short fiction entry, I think I'll email them a query from their contact page just asking what their is policy on unopenable entries.

VeganinBerlin wrote:
Because of my cold I'm in a horrible mental state and I find it hard not to critisize myself while writing at the moment.

For myself, I managed to train myself out of this habit and let myself write whatever without judgement (judgement can come later), especially with early drafts. Hope you can put pen to paper and hands to keyboard in spite of it! Feel better!!! <3 <3 <3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:03 pm 
WELFARIST!

I'm still reviewing my novel draft though taking it really slow. I think I've chosen the extract to launch a novella from but I basically have to write the whole thing in its entirety. I dunno, though. I mean, the novella might be a bust but at least it's an opportunity to explore my characters and some of my ideas and themes on a smaller and less chaotic scale. I have ideas aplenty but organization and paring them down to their essentials and reflecting those essentials through situations and characters is the tough stuff. Also, one of my characters might be mute for the entire novella so will have to find other ways to communicate with that character. It's a challenge. Not sure it will stick. In the novel, he is mute (at least temporarily and for a reason there) but already, for the novella, I find myself moving away from some of the novel ideas. Anyway, progress on this massive project is slow and steady but will update occasionally as I work away.

Also thought of a new poem this morning and didn't write a line of it and I've already forgotten what it was all about and what the lines were. I'll have to try and summon that up again, if I can.

I'm not Nanoing in any official capacity (i.e., have dropped all words-per-day count expectations), but am working on my novel at least and sticking my head in there daily.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:43 pm 
WELFARIST!

Made a document of all the extracted parts from the novel for what I need for the novella this morning. It's currently 8300 words but most of it's all going but I wanted to preserve some of the ideas before I sack the whole thing and rewrite it all. I would have gotten more done but my computer was running maddeningly slowly this morning. I'm not sure the novella's going to happen because two or three months is not a lot of time for a project of this length but I'll give it a shot for the next couple of weeks, start working with the material and see how it goes, see if it's feasible and if I think I can get it ready or in some sort of readable and running shape in time. I think it needs to be ready by early February 2014.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:06 pm 
WELFARIST!

Still working away on the novella.

Picked up the threads of a creative non-fiction piece I started some time ago. Just experimenting with it, but I don't think it will come off. I can't yet find the continuity--but it being scattershot is kind of the point? It suits the situation and scenario of what I'm trying to do. That doesn't mean, though, as a literary approach it will work. Case in point being the situation below.

Got a very thoughtful rejection letter Friday on some of my poems. An editor sent me a handwritten note reading: "Thank you for your submission. I'm sorry to say we will be unable to publish these poems. You have some amazing lines here, with energy to match your subject matter. You may wish to consider adding more of a narrative voice in your work in order to allow your readers to invest more emotionally in your work. For example, in...[editor names one of my poems]...(great title, by the way), you have all of these great metaphors & similies but the reader has not too much at stake to form an emotional bond. Does that make sense? Thanks again for sending us your work and keep at it. Signed [Editor's name]."

While I won't rewrite those poems--not because I disagree with the above but only because I've exhausted the ideas in them and I'm done with them--in fact, I've already sent them on elsewhere for consideration--but I tend to take an indifferent and remote tone in my astronomy poems and drop the narrative voice because stuff just happens in the universe, you know, there is no narrative per se (as I see it anyway and here, this editor is referring to my latest set of astronomy poems), thinking--that's sort of the point for me--the indifference and random detachment of the stones and fire of the universe so I carry that tone into the writing--but to consider readers--they need something emotional to hold on to and connect to the material so I will take the advice on further writing, sort of thing.

Also, the CBC got back to me and let me know that my entry was fine, they were able to open the file and it met their word count criteria and it's been passed onto the readers and for judging. Yay! I really don't care much what happens to my work once I send it out into the world, I just want to make sure folks can read it!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:37 pm 
WELFARIST!

The disgruntled customer story has come back into play. I've been going in and out of this story for two years now but at the end of the month, I'm sending it off to a contest (which it won't win--this story's too lightweight and winning stories are always made of heavier plots--but I always get a subscription to this mag anyhoo and it gives me a deadline to shape this story to a finish). But anyway, later in December or before the New Year, I'll send the same story somewhere for more serious consideration where it maybe kind of has a chance to see page or print--or not, we'll see--but I've had a lot of fun working on it anyway. It's flowing better and making more sense now and seems less disjointed. I had to fix one of the characters and make him less stupid because his obliviousness was too much before. So I toned that down and clarified the missing pieces of the story (which are sort of numerous and took a lot of working out and thinking through) so they're not so much IN YOUR FACE and are hopefully more subtle but at the same time, if you know where to look, clear stuff up in the story and answer questions. So I did a thorough edit on that today.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:42 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I have not vanished. It was just a busy busy couple of weeks. And I had thought that my working in a quiet office where I am encouraged to do outside projects would help. It does. But sometimes the words just aren't there.
I did write a nice blog post. As that was the first writing I have done for at least two weeks, I am going to take it as a win.
The book plan is still on and I have gathered up for editing several of my old (and I mean old) poems that still have the echo of my voice to them. The editing process is one I struggle with, so this is actually a good learning experience.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:56 pm 
WELFARIST!

Yay, kfad! I see any time spent as movin' forward!

Did another edit on the disgruntled story, although my laptop has been maddeningly slow lately, especially after a start up. I think it was downloading something I didn't ask for today. what the fizzle? I dunno. Anyway, I guess it's done and running more quickly again and just about to type the changes I handwrote on my edit copy earlier today.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:41 pm 
Nailed to the V

My friend who wrote a book and got it published is having a black friday .99 cents sale on Kindle only today and tomorrow. Please take a look and support a fellow struggling writer. She's really good. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Speak-of-the-Devi ... wna+romkey

She's very supportive of other new writers and helps promote them too.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:16 pm 
WELFARIST!

^This is awesome! And she's got lots of great reviews on Amazon.

I don't have a Kindle but Imma get her book in paperback.

I'm finished my disgruntled customer story! I think! At last! Well, I put a version in the mail for a contest (i.e., subscription renewal) anyway. I wish I could say I was exaggerating about the amount of work that when into it but I'm not exaggerating when I say I WORKED FOR TWELVE HOURS ON IT YESTERDAY. Minus about a one hour break to eat and watch an episode of American Justice on my laptop (Betty Broderick--I saw her name in the headlines again so re-watched her AJ episode and that was my break). So, say eleven hours of solid work yesterday on the story plus I averaged around 4 to six hours on it every weekday this week working on it (so, say about 20 hours in addition to 12 yesterday) so that's a 32 hour input on one story in one week that I'd already been working on on and off for two years. And it's not quite ten pages long in the end. I think I am semi pleased with the results, somewhat, but right now I'm so damn sick of every word of it that I want to throw up when I see a copy of the manuscript. It might see more changes in the future but I'm putting it aside for now.

December is the month I usually take a vacation from my writing (I usually don't usually stick to it and always wind up doing some work, but I let up on my usual two-hour-every-weekday expectation every December) so whee!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:52 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Oh wow seitanicverses... that is intense amounts of work.

I have a poem that I have been working on for a week now. Not nearly as intensely as you have been, but when I get a moment I pull it out and sit with it and edit it. I have been so unhappy with it that I started inserting random words just to see where they will take me. It may be time to put it away for a while.

I need to find a good place online to be working from. I write a lot at work (it is encouraged) but can't really store it on the laptop... right now everything is drafts on my blogger acct.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:33 pm 
WELFARIST!

kfad wrote:
Oh wow seitanicverses... that is intense amounts of work.

It was! And happily, not typical but totally happens, or can happen when I'm a week from a deadline and I have a piece that's close enough to being ready. I really had to push that one hard to get at least cohesive enough to send out. It's a story that felt like it needed a lot of explanation to fill this in and fill that in so I filled it all in to satisfy my own curiosity and then proceeded to cut much of that out and rewrite scenes to explain those same things, but without too much narrative and more action. I only hope what stood in the version I sent out makes enough sense. I really don't care, though, seriously. I feel satisfied that I put the work in and gave it my all, and that's good enough. What happens now...I just sort of shrug. It will probably be reworked some more in the future, but I feel like it's pretty much done for now and the idea's kind of exhausted and firing no more sparks in me when I think on the subject but last week, I was still electrified on it and in the zone.

kfad wrote:
I have a poem that I have been working on for a week now...when I get a moment I pull it out and sit with it and edit it. I have been so unhappy with it that I started inserting random words just to see where they will take me. It may be time to put it away for a while.
That's often how I work poetry these days...usually in bits of stolen time, though early in the writing I can hunker down for two hours, especially if it's involved. But it gets to a point in the development where you're just fiddling with it, trying to get it to work on some level--putting it away, taking it out here and there, over days weeks--sometimes for me even months and years. I think throwing random words in to see what happens is a great idea--see if it can fire up! Keep at it! <3

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:28 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I want time to write-write again. Right now, it's just the crazy rush of having to read a million papers suggested by the anonymous reviewers so that I can meet the super short "accepted with substantial revision" deadline next week. (The Editor gave me+co-author 10 days.)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:06 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Yesterday while I was at Shorty's robotics competition, I edited two poems and started two more.
I have had a talk with someone who will help me market the work when it is done.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:47 pm 
WELFARIST!

Hooray for starting more stuff!!!^^

I'm back at the disgruntled customer story. Just re-writing sentences and tightening prose and cleaning up punctuation, adding a little comedy, maybe some pizzazz, further distinguishing a character or adding a little somethin'-somethin' to the piece wherever I can. It's pretty much what it is and now I'm just mostly stylin' it and getting those last little digs or details in, which is my favorite part of writing anyhoo. Need to have it ready for the end of the month.

I've abandoned the novella I spoke of earlier. Well, I might still work on it but for now, it's too many words for too short a time with the deadline I was working towards. Instead, next, I'll turn my attention to a short story I started some months ago and it's often on my mind but I haven't done any actual written work on it at all lately. I've been getting some ideas over the intervening time though. The chasm between ideas in the mind to paper is huge, though. Anyway, I think that is where my attention will best be spent next. It's going to be morbid and creepy and hopefully...romantic? We'll see.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:29 am 
WELFARIST!

Super stoked that one of my creative nonfiction pieces will be appearing in the next issue of The Dalhousie Review! Woot! Just got an acceptance e-mail from them this morning! Super excited about this one.

Work continues on the disgruntled customer story. Have some new edits to type up and if it flows okay after this next edit then I think it should be ready to send off. I have to have it finalized before December 31 as the place I want to send it to closes for submissions after that date and may stay closed for months. I do think after this edit, it's mostly done though. I've done some cutting on it, especially right at the end of the story (and added one thing), so my concern is to make sure continuity and pace are still okay but they seem okay on read-through, but that's a messy version of the story with me pausing to find crazy editing marks and sentences written sideways in the margins. I need a clean page read through with the new edits to be sure. Anyhoo, that's still in the works to finish before year's end and really seems on track, so that's the main thing. Also, I was thwarted on my progress by this power outage in Toronto. No power for two and a half days. But yay, power's back so onward!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 591 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next