| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 638 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Writers "Kick in the Pants" thread
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:40 pm 
WELFARIST!

Have whittled the 2700-word mystery down to 1500 words. More tightening and rewriting will bring it within range of 1200 so it looks like I can make it short enough to enter into the contest if I wind up pleased with the story, but I'm just not that jazzed about it right now. Anyway, it's still early. Will work on it more tomorrow. It's pretty short so I should be able to decide in the next couple of days if I can whip it into shape for an entry or scrap it and move on to something else. The set up's kind of sad and I want it to be a funnier and lighter story and it's kind of a downer? And not good sad but pathetic sad? It's the ending which is maybe not so great after all, not sure. And the story is a bit pathetic sad in it's essence but I was sort of hoping the other stuff could rise above it and not dwell on the pathetic angles. It portrays the main character in a way I'm not liking. He's better in my mind than what I have him down for on the page right now. Well, I can only try and fix it. I'll give it a couple of more days of tinkering and see how it goes.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:14 am 
WELFARIST!

Still trying to work on the mystery story. Don't really think it's gonna work though. There's something unjustifiably mean about the interactions between characters that I don't like right now and I wish to make conversations more tender and imply that things are not as nasty as they seem and it's supposed to be friendly teasing but then it just turns into this dull filler exchange of pointlessness. I don't have high hopes at the moment but plan to look at it again today and see what, if anything, can be done.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:38 am 
WELFARIST!

Shrunk mystery story down to 1224 words (will easily get it within range now if I decide to enter it into the genre contest). It's kind of a mess for a story that's only five pages right now. There might be too much stuff going on for five pages--or one too many characters. I might drop one character out of one scene to simplify things. I kind of think it sucks though, on the whole, but haven't given up on it yet and haven't figured it all out in terms of story. It definitely needs to be clicking more into place--especially as a mystery--and of course, the ending is problematic. I'm purposely leaving a loose end to imply an ongoing mystery but I've solved the story's initial mystery but I don't think that's entirely clear? Or even a good idea? I think I have until the end of this month to see if I can work this puzzle out.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:23 pm 
WELFARIST!

How are all the writers doing?

I myself am not pushing myself as hard these days as I've done in the past but have a few things on the go: reworking the story I submitted to the CBC back in the fall (nothing happened there with it, didn't make the longlist) but I've since trimmed it quite a bit and I think I like it? Maybe? It's super simple and isn't sophisticated at all but I think it might pack a punch? Or that's what I'm going for with it, anyway. It's too fresh to say right now but I'm reworking it for another contest (i.e. magazine subscription), anyhoo. I don't take it too seriously, I'm seeing it as a challenge to work out as one would approach a tricky puzzle. I definitely don't have as much fun or feel as invested when writing "literary" stories as I do speculative fic. Where are my zombies, ghosts and aliens? I MEAN, COME ON. Every story needs an escapist or transportive element. I'm too mired in realism right now.

I have the mystery still on the go for the other genre contest at the end of the month. I haven't looked at that story in a week now but it was coming on all right but there's also something crappy about it that I can't quite put my finger on. Once I get the first one I mentioned above (literary) out of the way, I'll turn back to this one and try and sort it out.

Can't keep my mind from my CMS (creepy morbid story) that I've been kicking around, researching and dabbling in for what must be close to a year now. That one's turning into another disgruntled customer story which I had cooking for two years before I started to polish it to a finish and I'm still not sure THAT's finished. I'm waiting for a response from the place where it's been submitted before I re-evaluate it. But yeah. It never ends.

And then a novella idea which I drafted about ten pages of a few months back. I like this idea and I think about it a lot lately. I think my larger, full novel idea (started circa November 2011) is going to be pushed to the back burner. It's actually quite a complicated story and I think I need to knock out a longish simpler task before tackling it and I have this novella idea that is less components and doesn't take all the tricky plotting that my novel will demand and I don't think I yet have the skill level for so I'mma try writing the novella first.

Anyway, lots of ideas going, just enjoying myself, dabbling every day, meeting deadlines and not pushing too hard. Enjoying other aspects of life at the 'mo. Spring's coming!!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:00 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Most stressful phase at work finally over! So I can spend this weekend relaxing and then go back to (all kinds of) writing with renewed energy.

I also have two pieces in the current issue of Wyrd Daze - a short story and a comic strip that I collaborated on with a friend:
http://wyrddaze.wordpress.com/2014/03/1 ... -showcase/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:12 am 
WELFARIST!

Awesome, Phoenix! I'm starting to feel some renewed energy and enthusiasm and less of a workmanlike approach, as I've been approaching my writing with lately. I don't mind workmanlike though--I still get things done, still go forward but the excitement for the work itself isn't so strong.

I'm going to work on my writing today and try and finalize the literary story so I can work on the mystery next week.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:22 am 
WELFARIST!

Now I've retooled the CBC (literary) story into a mystery (though not a detective mystery) and I really didn't see that coming. I really dislike my other mystery which was a more typical effort and approach so I put it in the discard bin. Will no longer pursue! What I did there just sucks and I can't put any more time in that.

Anyway, I'm not sure the one I'm going with works but it IS mysterious. It has a bit of a mysterious air and it remains unresolved--though I'm not sure that's satisfying. I just want to come out of this month of work with something I'm at least somewhat grudgingly okay with because I really hate wasting my time.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:46 am 
WELFARIST!

Well, I don't think I'll send that mystery story I spoke of yesterday. I checked the Maisonneuve website for last year's winner (the genre was fables) and they really stick to the genre--I mean in the traditional sense the story that won last year was pretty textbook fable and that particular mystery story I was working on yesterday isn't on target enough.

SO: While working yesterday, I conceptualized YET ANOTHER story that would qualify as a mystery of the era if I get around to writing it in time (I really think what they're looking for is something sleuthy/Sherlock Holmes'ish, you know and no great deviation from that) so I've drafted the beginning of a story featuring a detective named Merlock Sloans and her assistant, Datsun. I don't know if those names will stick but it keeps me on target while I'm writing so I'm not all deviating into my own la-la-land as I can sometimes do. Now I have to try and frantically write this before March 31 (it's 1200 words max). So I need to go!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:23 am 
WELFARIST!

Well, this latest incarnation of my mystery attempts (I think I had three--this being the fourth) seems to be working, anyway. It's the truest to the genre compared to the other ideas I had going. It's super obvious though but I've never written a mystery before so I don't really know what I'm doing. I mean, I don't know how much of a true mystery it is--the killer is obvious pretty much right away, d'oh--but there's another deeper twist that comes clear at the very end.

Anyway, I have no time to polish it for whatever it is--or not as much as I'd like. Just started this story yesterday and whittled it down to 1500 words (first draft was 1700 words yesterday) so I still have to lose 300 words. That shouldn't be too difficult as I'm sure once I get down and dirty with it, I'll find plenty to trim but I'm super busy for the next few days and I think the deadline on this is March 31. Well, I've just decided that whatever state it's in then (it does have to be 1200 words or under or it's automatically disqualified) but so long as I get it under 1200 words, I'm sending whatever in. Hopefully, I can get it into running, readable, sensible shape though. I think it's a fun story. About apocatherists (sp? I can't even confidently spell my own subject--har) in the Victorian era and oooh, mystery! I just wish I'd come up with this idea earlier in the month so I could really woik it.

(Hey Superman: spin the world in reverse a few days for me so I can do this--kthanxbye.)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:31 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Hi! I finished my first novel, a YA realistic/contemporary novel, at a hair under 68K words. Now, to edit.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:50 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Amazing appifanie! Well done!

The serial that ran away with me and developed additional subplots is currently at just over 26K words. I think it will still be a novella when it's done, though. At least now I know how it's going to end - all I have to do is get there.

One more day of fun writing before my summer job starts!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:24 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Ooh excellent! I wrote most of mine and went "oh crepe how does it end" :D

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:43 pm 
WELFARIST!

Hooray appifanie! I often know how things end when I set out and then it changes as I go or the original ending doesn't work as it develops, etc. It's nice to have an ending in sight though and mine sometimes stick to what I think they'll be when I first start out.

Finished my Victorian mystery and submitted it to the Maisonneuve Genre contest but I forgot to include my contact cover sheet so they don't know who wrote it besides having my email address. D'oh. I sent them a follow up email identifying myself but...reminder to self to read the instructions over again before pressing "send". I doubt I'll hear from them again anyhoo but I hope whoever reads my story enjoys it.

Anyway, the story itself is pathetically amateurish in concept but I've never written a mystery before. I had tons of fun with it and I do like it. It's not a serious story at all: Old-tyme druggists, fainting ladies, smelling salts and all that. I had some fun with certain stereotypes of the time. It's only five pages long (about 1160 words) so there's only so much one can do in that short a word count. It's a complete circle though. It begins with a crime, details an investigation, then revelation of the murderer and a twist and a dramatic, Shakespearean-type ending. I totally stuck to genre so I'm pleased with myself for at least that challenge as I am prone to tangents as things develop.

Now, I figure I have some other loose ends to tie up (try to package together some poems to send for possible submissions) maybe look at a couple of stories and then turn back to my novella idea that I'm trying to develop. Onward!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:56 pm 
WELFARIST!

I picked up my contributor copies from The Dalhousie Review at the post office this morning. Woot! They billed my piece as fiction instead of memoir, which is fine with me. I also noticed an error I missed on proofreading (a 'he' where it should have been 'he'd' - bugs me! Weird what you miss even though I proofread the piece a thousand times). Anyway, it's awesome to have it in my hands in print.

I've had a couple of disappointing rejections lately (my disgruntled customer story came back with a nay from a place I had strong hopes for--that's the one that's ouchy) but Imma sending it out again. Actually, it already is under consideration elsewhere but my hopes are not high to place it there--it's slightly over their word count limit and from my experience it wouldn't be their 'thing' (it's speculative fiction and they're literary) but it fit their theme for a forthcoming issue so I sent it just to see if they wanted it. I'm going to start reviewing that story again Monday and see what changes I can make to improve its chances at being accepted elsewhere. There's that overly long conversation section in the middle that's always got under my skin that I can try editing now, for starters...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:21 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh, I know about people telling you a story is "not their thing", even if they usually publish specfic. They'll say "oh this is too fantasy" or "too SF" or something like that. I'm so lucky to have discovered a magazine whose editor seems to really like my genre-transcending stuff.
Also yay for picking up the publication! There's nothing like holding your own work in print. :D

I've been pretty busy. Sent off two recordings - one reading of someone else's work for the horror podcast and one reading of one of my own stories for a new project I've joined - and an outtake of my long ongoing project that I hope will work as a stand-alone story.
The big project is currently at 31.5K words, BTW, so I think it will hit (short) novel length. One more episode with my current narrator, then switching up narrators for the last time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:43 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

seitanicverses wrote:
I picked up my contributor copies from The Dalhousie Review at the post office this morning. Woot!... Anyway, it's awesome to have it in my hands in print.

Fabulous!

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:00 pm 
WELFARIST!

pandacookie wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:
I picked up my contributor copies from The Dalhousie Review at the post office this morning. Woot!... Anyway, it's awesome to have it in my hands in print.

Fabulous!

Thanks, panders. It is super exciting!

Phoenix wrote:
Oh, I know about people telling you a story is "not their thing", even if they usually publish specfic. They'll say "oh this is too fantasy" or "too SF" or something like that. I'm so lucky to have discovered a magazine whose editor seems to really like my genre-transcending stuff.

I'm not sure why they rejected this one because they left no notes (this particular publication usually provides super helpful critique of my work but not this time--I just got a form letter email with no specifics--but it's encourages me to send them another story in the future so that's good, at least). However, I'm reviewing the story this morning and I'm still stuck on fixing that problematic overlong conversation--but I cut out about a page or even more of it this morning so that should help. I honestly don't think they rejected it on the basis of a passage that needed editing though--I think the story didn't work for them, or something, overall. I still like its possibilities though and will just tighten it up and see whatever other ideas I have for it that can strengthen it before I try sending it again. I expect to work on it through this week and hope to have it ready for the next place to send by the weekend/early next week.

I've always kept all my rejection letters, critiques from editors, etc. right from the very beginning. At the end of my career I will probably make a collage of them all with the few and far between acceptances forming a tiny sun in the middle of the piece. I'll call it "The Inbox of a Struggling Writer", or sumpin. It will probably be wall mural-sized by the end of things ;)

Woot! at 31.5K words! I want to start writing something of more length, but I need to get some smaller things out of the way first. Onward!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:33 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

A propos specfic and rejection letters: http://williamhopehodgson.wordpress.com ... nevermore/ ;))

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:51 am 
WELFARIST!

Phoenix wrote:
A propos specfic and rejection letters: http://williamhopehodgson.wordpress.com ... nevermore/ ;))

Ha, it's so true. <3

I've cut around two pages from the disgruntled customer story (~3300 words now to around 2750 words). It's taking better shape overall now and the transitions into different scenes aren't as rough as they were, and that long conversation that always perturbed me has really been condensed, but I think I might actually have to work on it for a couple of weeks--one week might not be enough. It needs more work than I realized, for sure. Even though I've only done one heavy duty edit on it since it came back from its first rejection, it's already coming closer to what I want it to be. Much more work to do, though!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:02 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I write more for fun and I guess to relieve stress than anything. I pretty much finished a fantasy type novel as a teenager (it's just about 70k words) and at some point I wonder if I could make something good out of it. I started editing it but don't have the time really. I was kind of working on another fantasy-type thing which is on about 38k words at the moment, but again, time (and quite possibly laziness). At the moment I'm writing a fanfiction thing in the Star Trek universe and challenging myself to finish off a chapter roughly every fortnight, to try and get myself to work to self-imposed deadlines.

I always have such mixed feelings about my writing. Like sometimes I'll read and be like, wow, this is great! and then later in the day I'll hate it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:05 am 
WELFARIST!

Quail wrote:
I always have such mixed feelings about my writing. Like sometimes I'll read and be like, wow, this is great! and then later in the day I'll hate it.

Yeah, when stuff is in progress, I'll be very much like that--whether I like something or not depends on my mood. It's nice when I read something a couple of years old and the emotion I've invested in it has gone out of it and then I can say whether or not I like it more definitively. I have mixed feelings about everything though. Everything could be better. EVERYTHING. But I work hard so that's the most I can do, I figure.

Still finishing the disgruntled customer story. I am slowing down on my writing overall now, trying to focus on other parts of my life because I am reasonably happy with where the writing's at right now. Of course I'll keep it going--I always will--I must--but the constant drive I had for years and the pressure to get stuff POLISHED and DONE and submitted to editors because I'm just starting out is kind of easing up and I'm in a more comfortable and secure place and just want to create maybe at not such a breakneck pace as I was striving for in the past ten years or so.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:12 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

37 K. I'm not as fast as a successful NaNoWriMo-er, but I'm getting somewhere, and it's not all completely unedited, either.
And the best thing is that I know where this story is going. All I need to do is find the right words to describe the scenes in sequence.
And I still keep surprising myself. :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:28 pm 
WELFARIST!

Phoenix wrote:
And the best thing is that I know where this story is going. All I need to do is find the right words to describe the scenes in sequence.

I wish I could say this about one or two projects in particular I have going: the creepy morbid story I am still attempting to work on but it's going nowhere! Argh! One of these days it will though. Awaiting the lightbulb. I open the file, read it over and edit and add and subtract here and there and eventually hope it will come to something. I'm writing it as literary right now (which basically to me means, keeping it real/grounded in reality) but I might try entertaining speculative fiction ideas/directions and see if it catches fire that way as it's spinning its wheels as a literary story and I've been stuck in the same place on it for a couple of months now. It actually began as spec fict at the outset and I changed it to literary. We'll see what transpires. Trying not to paint myself into a corner on it ideas-wise and keep an open mind.

I cobbled together a set of seven poems, edited/tweaked them some as I saw fit and sent them out for submission earlier today--other than tinkering doing a few minor edits on other prose/short fiction files, that was my writing work for the day.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:31 pm 
WELFARIST!

Phoenix wrote:
37 K. I'm not as fast as a successful NaNoWriMo-er, but I'm getting somewhere, and it's not all completely unedited, either.

I find my NaNo ventures have been largely a waste of time. I mean, in the sense that I've figured out what doesn't work for some ideas--but then I've pursued the not-working idea for a month or so because I haven't given myself the necessary time to think about where things are going. Still, I guess that's something! But a slower and more thoughtful pace wins the race ultimately, I believe. <3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:09 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

:)

This week I had the most insane idea ever, so I talked it over with my muse (yes, I have one), and with a couple of tweaks it's doable, which possibly makes it the good sort of insane. So now, get this, my story is at 47.6K - it's officially a novel now!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 638 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next