| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 826 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Writers "Kick in the Pants" thread
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:47 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Congratulations! I'm often nervous to even let people read my writing, much less read it myself out loud in front of a crowd. I'm trying to develop more bravery in that area, but I have a long way to go.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:51 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

seitanicverses wrote:
I did the open mike last night. Went awesome! I read four poems and there were about twenty-five people there. It was at this cute little tea and games café downtown so awesome venue and about seven people read poems total and one guy even played on his trumpet! Now I feel ready for the library reading coming up in the fall.

Today, I might try and find more markets for my ghost story. Or watch more Olympic events....we'll see.

Excellent!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:36 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I'm glad the open mic night went well. I can't imagine having the guts to read my work out to an audience. I've got to the point where I'm happy to share my work with friends (and selected non-explicit work with family), but standing up and reading it seems like a whole other level.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:38 am 
Smuggling Raisins

Does anyone have tips for editing long drafts? I'm working on a memoir that's currently up to 131 pages, but it'll probably get longer as I'm trying to broaden everything.

I use Pages on a Mac to compose (pretty much like Word) and I'm currently scrolling through it all and tightening things up where I can, but I'm having trouble getting a sort of "birds-eye view" of the whole thing. LIke, "oh, this thing at the beginning definitely feels detached from this thing in the middle" or "wow, I really need to add a lot more context at the end." You know what I mean?

I feel like I need to print out the whole thing and spread it out and make manual notes, but even then it might be hard. Maybe I need to sit and read it all at once? Or pass it on to someone honest to read? Tell me all your editing tips!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:06 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

If you haven't read the whole thing yet, yes, I would suggest printing it out and reading it. And definitely, it's helpful to have reader(s) you can trust pick out problems (and good things!) that you might not see yourself.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:35 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Thanks for the congrats, guys. It was a good audience and fun. I got lucky my first time out!

RavenMcCoy wrote:
Does anyone have tips for editing long drafts? I'm working on a memoir that's currently up to 131 pages, but it'll probably get longer as I'm trying to broaden everything.

I use Pages on a Mac to compose (pretty much like Word) and I'm currently scrolling through it all and tightening things up where I can, but I'm having trouble getting a sort of "birds-eye view" of the whole thing. LIke, "oh, this thing at the beginning definitely feels detached from this thing in the middle" or "wow, I really need to add a lot more context at the end." You know what I mean?

I feel like I need to print out the whole thing and spread it out and make manual notes, but even then it might be hard. Maybe I need to sit and read it all at once? Or pass it on to someone honest to read? Tell me all your editing tips!

I have used the scissors-and-tape method for editing longer manuscripts in the past (never actually finished one though--all--for now--abandoned [or suspended!] projects) but the scissors-and-tape method was fiddly but it did the job. It requires printing out the whole manuscript. I found this website where an editor talks about these problems of editing longer manuscripts and offers solutions. Here's a link: http://www.apoideaeditorial.com/blog/20 ... manuscript

It looks very skeletal and outline-y in the example and I think if you have your stuff fleshed out track changes could get VERY confusing. I don't know though, I've never used track changes. Hope you can use some of the suggestions though! Good for you for pushing through and getting a nice long manuscript going! <3 <3 <3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:20 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Thanks Olives and and seitanicverses! And thanks for that link! I know printing it all will take a lot of paper, but it doesn't feel like a waste to me if I'm going to be getting something it. Plus I'll recycle, of course. :D

I like her method of tracking when the subject changes though - that's a nice way to see the flow at a glance. I bet I can come up with a way to do a combo of both methods.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:10 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

For short story writers: I wanted to share this link for an upcoming anthology The Binge Watching Cure which is an anthology featuring stories of increasing lengths as you work your way through it. It's a paying market and they take reprints if you have something already published and want to submit (but they don't want anything currently online).

Here's the link for more info: http://bingewatchingcure.com/

I would follow submission guidelines carefully for this one as they are very specific.

The editor just got back to me to let me know I'm in the final consideration pile for the ~1500 words length. Yay! Fingers crossed!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:46 pm 

Thanks for sharing... I wonder if I have anything I could send?

I'm going to announce my intention to participate in NaNoWriMo NOW, so that I actually stick to it. I already have an idea for it, although I don't know if I'll be too busy between my PhD and work.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:43 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Yay, Quail! I did NaNo back in 2011. I'm just happy to get back to some writing...couldn't tackle a novel at this point though. Would rather work on poems and short stories--more short stories at the moment.

I went to my first fiction workshop with the new group last Thursday. Went well--got some excellent feedback on my ghost story and feel good about it. This workshop is only once a month which is fine for me. I won't have anything to present next meeting because I have two poetry weekly workshops beginning mid-October running through December so poetry will be my focus for next while but I will still attend monthly fiction workshops in meantime to participate and stay in touch with the group (who I like) and hopefully really get back to some short fiction in the New Year. Time! More time in my day, please!!!

Keep writing, everyone! Post your NaNo updates here when the month starts (November, I think) so I can live vicariously! <3 <3 <3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:59 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Finished a draft of a short story that I think I will really like when it's all polished up. It is so far my favorite treatment of a lot of themes I've been trying to tackle in other stories.

I am working on a NaNoWriMo outline with a friend. Our project is... improbable. But amusing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:34 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Yay Olives! It's awesome to get a good treatment of your themes. The disparity between how stuff works in my head versus on the page is often an unbreachable gulf but if you get there those rare, precious times--it's one of the most satisfying feelings one can imagine!

I'm planning on doing another open mic on Sunday. Will read some Halloween-ish poems! I wish my other laptop was accessible so I could get at some of my older, ghoulish poems. They might be lost forever as I seldom bothered to save my poems in the past. I am getting better at backing up my poetry these days.

Usually, I am most inspired this time of year to write but that has not been the case thus far. I think I just need to take a breather (from the world, life) hibernate a bit because I am just sort of creatively exhausted and then hopefully get my creative mojo back.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:55 pm 

I tend to find if I busy myself with other things, the urges to write come back with a vengeance :)

I have now announced my novel on nanowrimo! No giving up now :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:28 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Quail wrote:

Yay! Definitely keep us posted. I think I should try writing every day (including weekends) during Nano month and make time limits instead of word limits, and write not novels but short fictions just to get something I feel I can finish going.

Quail wrote:
I tend to find if I busy myself with other things, the urges to write come back with a vengeance :)
Oh, man that's the thing. I was all busied up lately for the last few weeks and of course I wanted to write desperately because there was no time for it. This week, I have some time for myself to write and my motivation has gone poof and I keep telling myself I need to do it but then I never sit down to it! I guess I should just crack the whip at myself like I used to when that was happening. I have projects I really am excited about too. But I'm also afraid of them. When I'm excited there's that pressure of not doing them right, of blowing it and I think that's what's really stopping me. I should remember that saying "once you start, the pressure will be off," I know it's true! Time to crack the whip at my own asparagus methinks ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:29 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Whoops, double post.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:13 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

seitanicverses wrote:
I have projects I really am excited about too. But I'm also afraid of them. When I'm excited there's that pressure of not doing them right, of blowing it and I think that's what's really stopping me. I should remember that saying "once you start, the pressure will be off," I know it's true! Time to crack the whip at my own asparagus methinks ;)

I thought I was the only one who did this. It's so refreshing to hear that others go through it too. I'm working on a few small projects right now but the thing I'm most excited about is a novel that's been forming in my mind for the last two years. I have a basic plot, 4 characters, and a good theme that I think can be dramatized very well through this story.

But every time I sit down to write it, I suddenly decide that I'm going to work on one of my short stories instead. I'm afraid of deflating this exciting idea, and feel like I need to do more prep work before I set off in the wrong direction and "ruin" it. Even though I know through past experience that these thoughts are ridiculous and I just need to stop putting it off and get to work on it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:15 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Quail wrote:

I have now announced my novel on nanowrimo! No giving up now :D

That's awesome! Your story premise sounds really fun. Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:16 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Sangria wrote:
But every time I sit down to write it, I suddenly decide that I'm going to work on one of my short stories instead. I'm afraid of deflating this exciting idea, and feel like I need to do more prep work before I set off in the wrong direction and "ruin" it. Even though I know through past experience that these thoughts are ridiculous and I just need to stop putting it off and get to work on it.

EXACTLY. That's exactly my same feeling. We can overcome this!!! <3 <3 <3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:14 am 

seitanicverses wrote:
Quail wrote:

Yay! Definitely keep us posted. I think I should try writing every day (including weekends) during Nano month and make time limits instead of word limits, and write not novels but short fictions just to get something I feel I can finish going.

That sounds like a good plan. I was going to do something similar - reduce it to novella writing month, perhaps - but I thought maybe if I try for a novel, I'll finish a novella!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:49 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Quail wrote:

I logged into NaNo (hadn't used my account since 2011--am amazed I still remembered the password without having to ask them to set me a new one) and the synopsis sounds awesome! Lots of fun it will be to write and to read! <3 <3 <3

You guys are inspiring me to do my own NaNo project this November...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:25 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I love this thread so much. I reference it a lot for inspiration when I'm feeling defeated in my writing. Can we continue on Reddit (I still need to make a new account and get started) or on another forum? You guys save me so much when I need a kick in the pants!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:03 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I will miss it too! I plan to continue talking about my writing on Reddit but because of the way Reddit is formatted, configured, etc., it will be hard to keep a running thread like this and also there aren't a ton of contributors to this thread, but those that do tend to contribute regularly. Anyway, I just plan to post my writing agonies, frustrations, inspirations, excitements, etc. in the "Space To Post That Doesn't Fit Into Any Other Topic" thread on Reddit for now. For Nano November, we can start a thread in Reddit and probably keep it going because lots of people want to write novels for Nano November and need inspiration but for the rest of the year...I just plan to post my writing updates in "Space To Post Things That Don't Fit Into Other Topics", etc. for the time being and see what unfolds in Redditland.

Speaking of which, I start a poetry workshop at the local library tonight that will hopefully give me some ideas and inspiration as I need it. I am feeling brain dead creatively and terribly unpoetic lately so hopefully this will fire me back up and give me the atomic kick in the pants i need to get some work going again!

Keep writing, everyone! <3 <3 <3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:33 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

Have fun tonight!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:39 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

pandacookie wrote:
Have fun tonight!

Thanks! It was fun. We didn't write last night but we read and discussed poems which is often enough to get some inspirational gears turning in me. This first poetry workshop on Tuesday evenings is more a discussion workshop (not writing but reading the poems of others and discussion we're doing sound poetry next week and Dada exercises and stuff like that in weeks to come!) and then I'm doing a poetry writing circle starting Thursdays in a couple of weeks for six or eight weeks where (hopefully!) I will actually start writing again and have the gumption to complete some poems and this Thursday, I have my monthly ongoing fiction workshop.

I'm spending a lot of time in basement rooms at local libraries lately! Once we got into the groove reading and talking poetry last night I felt within myself 'yeah...I'm back where I should be, doing what I need to do...'

Time to write, however, is what I really need more than anything. I just have to find that somehow and discipline myself to work instead of watching YouTube vids when I have a spare hour or so... Keep writing everyone! <3 <3 <3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:10 pm 

I was going to make a nano thread on reddit :) I really like this thread. Even when not posting, I like to read everyone's updates.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 826 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next