| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 591 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Writers "Kick in the Pants" thread
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:21 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh, btw, the story is now called "The Lost City of Emory Winters" and will hopefully be out in July.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:14 pm 
WELFARIST!

Woot, Phoenix! I like the title!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:01 pm 
WELFARIST!

Disgruntled story still coming together. It's fine around the first four or five pages and then with a change in the story--not sure if it's good or bad--but I'm thinking bad right now--I feel like it falls off a cliff at one particular transition point there, like I should go in another direction, but that direction hasn't occurred to me yet. But then again, I'm not sure yet. I need to work with the second half of the story more still and if I can work that out, it'll be fine. You know sometimes you see what a writer's done and you think to yourself "well, I wish they'd gone in this direction, or thought of this idea," and I'm there now with it. And I also realize that when I think that, it doesn't mean that direction or thought to take the story in ever occurred to the writer themselves. I'm waiting for either: another direction to occur to me at that point where I can take the story or just figuring the story out using what I already have. I like the story, though. It's worth the effort. This is what happens when I'm married to an ending and a beginning and then I have to work out the middle. Every story presents it's own set of problems though--every single time you have to deal with something different. Probably why, as a craft, it never gets old.

Anyway, will type up today's changes later this evening, if I feel like it, or tomorrow. Spent two hours on it already today, which is enough time for one day.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:17 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Good luck, sv! I think the main thing is that we're all having fun writing.

I have the whole day off tomorrow, so I'm going to finish the first draft of the review I can't seem to be able to finish, and then hopefully the first draft of my current short story as well. Depending on whether I can find back into the voice & atmosphere.

And on Friday we're going on a little road trip, because one of my cousins is getting married (500 km away), and I'm taking at least two books and a notebook, so that when I'm not reading (I don't drive) I can at least collect some notes & impressions.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:21 pm 
WELFARIST!

Yes, I always have a notebook on hand. I keep one in my purse, one on my table in the living room where I relax (that aelle made!) and one beside my bed so there's one at every strategic point should an idea or appealing line or image or anything come over me!

Writing is like solving a puzzle for me. Sometimes the puzzle frustrates me but even when it's kind of frustrating, the process, on the whole, is such a joy to me.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:25 am 
WELFARIST!

So I was re-reading my disgruntled story this morning and it struck me as I was reading that it's actually terrible and doesn't work at all. So I was sitting there thinking, "well, what a kick in the gut that is," and then I picked up the other story I've been working on this month (that I last touched on May 14 and haven't worked on much) to see how it was doing and I realized that that one was actually quite promising. So now, I'm working on dat. I wanna come out of this month with at least one complete short story (because I want to turn back to my novel for the last 40,000 words of it come June) and I'm running out of time here, so I need to turn my attention to finishing the most promising of the two stories. I'm just surprised at which story that's shaping up to be. Unexpected. I've hardly worked on it, the idea's kind of juvenile (which might be a problem in the final analysis) but I seem to have found a good angle on the narrative which came easily to me and was there right off the bat and seems to make it work.

As for the disgruntled story--it's still a lot of fun in theory, I just haven't brung it to the page yet. I needs to bring it. It's fine until about page 4 and then, just as I suspected, it goes catastrophically downhill. I think it's a bit ambitious for my skill level at the moment, actually--I'm still quite a new writer who hasn't done a lot of short stories and I think what I want for it is beyond the grasp of my abilities right now. But it will come! So I'll type up the changes I've made thus far sometime next week and put it aside and pull it out again in a few months.

Anyway, the news is not all bad here anyhoo.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:08 pm 
WELFARIST!

So the one story is working out (I think). It's fifteen pages now though! Whew, long. I started at, like, six. The characters were so fun to create and if it's funny, it's darkly funny (I tried to make it mostly funny, anyway--not sure anyone else would find it so) but anyway, once I got going with the character-making, I couldn't stop. So at least I came out of this month with a promising something. Still polishing it up but when I read it--I'm like--I hardly worked on this and it's mostly done. Needed very little reorganizing and rearranging, it flows, it doesn't really seem to lag (there might be a few parts where the energy dips--that's the kind of thing I'll iron out the next couple days). It's supposed to be lively and it's supposed to flow and weave in and out of itself like the narrative is mingling with the characters and so far, so good. I kind of can't believe this one worked out. This was the one I'd never put money on, but sometimes this is how it happens.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:39 am 
WELFARIST!

So the month is nearly over and I have one story I consider done. So, excellent! Just have to type up the finishing changes and then send it off somewheres for consideration and turn back to my novel come Monday.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:23 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yay! Good luck, sv.

I'm actually working on the big book project again. I'm definitely over the minimum word count of 60.000, and I hope to get my first draft into better-structured shape before... August, at the latest. I really want this to be finished, so I can finally send it off. It's really good, even if I say so myself. I've done more work for this that actually advances a certain niche of literary theory than I've done for my thesis-in-progress. And this is my *hobby* project I'm talking about here.

So... ever onwards!

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:03 pm 
WELFARIST!

Doesn't it feel awesome to be pleased with something you worked so hard on? I'm excited about the advances you're making in literary theory! <3

I worked seven hours (approx) on my story yesterday but I usually don't work that hard and now that I've pretty well finished it, I'm mostly pleased. I wouldn't say I'm GLAD I couldn't work out the disgruntled customer story but if that hadn't happened, I would never have turned my attention to this ghost storyish one which I'm finishing up tonight and I feel does work.

Actually the novel is going to be less work than I've been doing this month as I only put two hours into it every weekday when writing it but there will come a time when the work on it will consume me, but that's a ways off. Still in the building stages and takin' her easy.

It's amazing how just putting a couple of hours in every day yields so much progress even though it never feels like it at the time. Sometimes I say to myself "I'm getting nowhere!" but then I look back at my files and see what I've created over however many months and it turns out I've done a lot.

Yes, always, ever onwards and good luck to all us writers! <3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:01 pm 
WELFARIST!

Reviewing the first draft of the novel so I can pick up where I left off. I'm giving myself the rest of the week to finish reviewing all the material (there are ~60,000 words in the standing draft + I spent yesterday reading all the rejected scenes to make sure they're still rejects). Now I'm reading the novel standing draft chronologically and it's in better shape than I thought, thank God! Needs tons of work though. TONStonstons. My sister thought when I finished the next 40,000 words I'd be ready to send to a publisher and I'm like...noooo. I think I need two years from the time I finish the next 40,000 words which I'm giving myself until the end of September to do. Hopefully, I can finish by August, but I'm giving myself to September so maybe I can sneak in a couple of short projects when I hit motivational nosedives on the novel material. My short story month really did me good! So I'm glad I took it. I'm actually happy to be back at work on the novel again and feeling optimistic about the material, which is what I wanted from the time away.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:43 pm 
WELFARIST!

Didn't work on my novel today--watched TV instead. I never do that! I will try and get some reviewing in of it before bed though. I think I am afraid of it. Skerred. In fact, I know I am afraid of it and whenever I put off working on it it's because I'm scared that I won't be able to pull it off. It doesn't matter whether or not I pull if off, really, but I have to try because if I didn't try at all that's the thing that will do me in. I have already survived many failures and brushed them right off and started something new, so failure I can do. And remember from all my other work in writing that I almost never realize my original vision when I set out to put anything on the page but whatever I come up with will be what it's meant to be. It's through the process that the true vision will be realized. I have to keep telling myself that and remember the thing Ted Hughes said (regarding Sylvia Plath's artisan-like approach to verse): "if she could not get a table out of the material, she was quite happy to get a chair or even a toy." Tomorrow will be a better day.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:34 pm 
WELFARIST!

I finished reviewing my novel till March (still have April's writings on it to go through--next week). So this took longer than I expected and despite my above post, I wound up working that evening and making considerable headway. So much for bad beginnings!

Anyway, trying to edit some of what I've written already slowed me down--but I'm okay with that--editing something gets me excited for what stays. Also, I noticed a sort of humorous, almost careless sort of tone that's standing out for me in sections of the material thus far and I think I'm gonna try and go with that for now--write in that vein. It's the same sort of rattling, matter-of-fact tone I used for the short story I successfully completed in May so maybe that's something that works for me? I'll go with it for now and see what happens.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:13 pm 
WELFARIST!

Finished reviewing. Added two new pages yesterday. How do people write books anyway? How do they sustain the energy in the writing? Since I don't really know where to go next in my story, I'm working on expanding some of the better ideas in the manuscript now and see where they take me. I don't really know where I want the story to go anymore and that direction is always changing as I write. I don't write outlines as I tend to deviate from them too much and habitually just write on the fly so outlining doesn't really work for me. Above all, I want it to be entertaining so I'm just trying to do whatever I can to take me there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:25 pm 
WELFARIST!

I probably won't work on my novel for the next few days and that's all right. Circumstances in my personal life dictate that I have to take care of myself first at the moment but I'll get back to it regularly probably next week.

I came back from a heartbreaking errand this morning and sat on my balcony a while and thought of poetry and poetic lines and images which kept popping into my head like radio interference while I was being sadly reflective. Poetry is always good to write when highly emotional, although I haven't written any. I might this week though. No pressure about anything as far as I'm concerned at the moment.

I was watching American Masters featuring Philip Roth last night and stuff he said about his own novels in development was really reassuring to me. I can't remember the exact quote but he was just saying he always thinks his novels are a disaster when he starts out and for the first while working on them and he starts talking himself into starting something else and more or less the exact thoughts I'm having about my own manuscript at present. He said you just have to keep going forward, working with whatever's working in the material and keeping at that. Anyway, whatever he said made me feel that although I feel completely lost and am getting nowhere with my own manuscript, I'm on the right track, even if that track seems to be a hopelessly tangled maze that seems to offer nowhere to go with no solution at the moment.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:38 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Getting things done, bit by tiny bit.

I'm well again after a bout of the flu (in June!!), and after shifting things around a bit I will have more articles up. Currently struggling a bit with a book review I'd stupidly promised someone when I thought I would find the time to do it. I should stop doing things for free that are nothing to do with my thesis.
Anyway, I've been up since four again, because my stupid shoulder wouldn't let me sleep (bad work-related tension thing). And I'm missing writing fiction. And just when I feel my motivation come back full blast - NotMyMotherInLaw is coming to visit over the weekend. I don't know how to get the flat into passable shape until then, and I'd really really rather write. Oh well. Let's make the best of it then.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:01 am 
WELFARIST!

Yes, it's bit by tiny bit. That's really how I get things done in this writerly racket. I haven't written this week, but since I'm a bit death-obsessed lately and in something of a mourning nosedive mood-wise, I have a morbid-themed Victorian-era short story I've been wanting to write and I think I might draft it tonight since all the emotions I need to draw from are there for it right now.

Back to my novel next week!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:49 pm 
WELFARIST!

Wasn't feeling the novel but I picked up the short story I abandoned late last month (the disgruntled customer one) and chopped two pages in the middle section that were confuddling it and chopped and reworked other stuff all in between, including somewhat the ending and while it's not what I wanted when I set out to write it, it's morphing into something workable...Still needs time and thought...

I also wrote a new poem yesterday morning. Very short and it works for what it is. I think that's the only new poem I've maybe written thus far this year that I completed?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:00 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Wow, I can't remember when I last wrote a complete poem (especially one I liked).

I'm getting the review done! All I need is to hunt down two page references that got lost and rephrase a couple of minor things that I'm not really happy about, and then it's off! And I can concentrate on my (overdue) big project again! I really, really want to send it off before August. That's not asking too much, is it?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:08 pm 
WELFARIST!

^I don't think sending off the big project before August is too much provided it doesn't need too much work. There's still, like, five weeks to work with before August comes.

Yeah, I've written some poems earlier this year but that was just trying to fix up abandoned poems previously written years ago into a workable state. I'm not even overly pleased with this one because subject-wise it's rather ghoulish and weird but the language is spare and all the images I wanted to include got in and it reads complete so that, I guess, is success. I have to write other poems though to go with it if I want to send it out as with most places I submit to there's no point submitting just one poem they usually want at least three per submission (or at least, that's desirable).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:16 pm 
WELFARIST!

While I was out running this morning, I thought to myself that I couldn't wait to get back home and work on my short story some more, but once home, I picked up my poem instead, dropped about three words, changed about three other words and called it a day--this took around twenty minutes or so. I had to do something because I was MARRIED to the title but one word in the second line confused the tense of the title but I fixed it, yo. And I added an extra word/symbol that wasn't there yesterday (one of the three word change up) that cements the poem's overall meaning in a more...universal way. Still, it's weird one and I'm not sure I'll ever send it anywhere or show it to anyone.

I didn't write any prose at all. I still haven't even typed up the poem, it's still handwritten in one of aelle's notebooks. Then I went into the kitchen, made a salad and had a nap after lunch. I'm not going to get much writing done this week. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow and lunch with colleagues on Friday so Imma blow serious writing off until next week because I have no TIME. What with this procrastinating and napping and other work to do and all...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:31 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Soooo my potential editor made a new private social media account, and I'm among the first people he added. Today of all days, when I finally have time to get back to editing my big project. I hope that's a good omen. :))

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:18 pm 
WELFARIST!

I think it's an excellent omen, Phoenix!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:15 pm 
Chard Martyr

HOLY crepe I FINISHED MY MANUSCRIPT. I have been avoiding this thread and the inherent kick in the pants because I have been the queen of procrastination, but my book is finally edited down to something I'm happy-ish with.

The good news is I can move on to other projects! The bad news is I hate the novel I just finished (when I say happy, I mean...it's passable, and I probably just hate it because I've spent far too long with it), but I'm hoping that I'm just being a tortured artist and that it's the necessary first full project to fuel many more!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:10 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yay, vijita! That's so awesome.
I do hope I'll get there soon.

I've finally gotten the (home) office in shape. I have a new desk and swivel chair, and I should be able to find all my books and stuff.
No excuse left for procrastination.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 591 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 24  Next