| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 603 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Writers "Kick in the Pants" thread
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:03 pm 
WELFARIST!

Yay, more writers!

kfad wrote:
HELP! This is overwhelming and terrifying. Is it supposed to be so scary?

I definitely feel daunted by every project and my own expectations for it. Honestly, in every case, everything I write falls short in my eyes in some way but in other ways--you'll come up with things you never thought of if you hadn't kept with it, trying to make it start like a dying engine. There's a spark there somewhere! I have to keep trying to ignite all ideas until its hopeless. I have this need to compulsively do it, even if I disappoint myself--the worse thing of all would be to never do it and that's always overrides any performance fears.

I love brainpickins' torque! I think I've posted links from them here before.

I have a notebook by my bed for those middle-of-the night ideas and believe it or not, sometimes I'm too lazy to even reach over and get the notebook an arm's reach away and I always regret that, but sometimes I do use it and I think it was Friday night I wrote three pagefuls of stuff in mine at three a.m. Two different ideas were competing and keeping me awake then--one poem, one short story. I haven't worked on either yet but they're both there, waiting for me to consider if they're worth developing next time I need to start something new.

I worked on my latest story for an hour on Sunday, which I don't usually do (take weekends off normally). Now, I think I have nine pages of material, but most of that's cut paragraphs and ideas that I'm saving in case I decide to integrate later--though probably not--but I keep cut stuff for the time being until the story has dealt with everything those scraps contain or I've decided definitively it isn't going in--but four solid pages of (potentially keepable though still needs tons of work) story. Progress!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:10 pm 
WELFARIST!

Now have six pages that seem usable of the latest story (11 pages total including discards--now some of the discards are really gonna be worked back in though--just saving them for later in the story now). Also re worked the ending of most recent poem so it's less wordy and (maybe, hopefully have to think about it & sit on it) more effective.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:50 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

The last two days have not been good writing days. I sit down to work and either find myself really anxious or completely disinterested.
I found some poetry starters and hope that helps.
Part of the problem may be that i have to write in the morning. There is not other time.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:34 am 
WELFARIST!

Wrote for around 45 minutes before bed last night (at, like 1:00 a.m. or so). Now up to 7 pages of running story with five pages of (some usable) discard. Growing! Thought of a couple of new emotional elements/tension to introduce between my characters and have a stand-in ending (for now--will probably change as story develops). I've never written a story piecemeal like this so see what comes of it. I say however it gets done, do that and this is what's moving it forward now so going with it.

Sometimes when I'm not in the mood to work, kfad, (which is much of the time, actually), I just start picking at a sentence or telling myself that I'll look only at a certain paragraph--even if it's in the middle of the story or piece or whatever--just pick something that I'm willing to do something with in that moment--and working on that leads to a contagious enthusiasm that spreads, somehow, and a few minutes turns into an hour of productiveness and so on.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:44 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Ugh. And also not...
I wrote this morning and it was all crepe.
But while waiting for a client to get out of physical therapy, I wrote three pages of a possible new story. In a whole new genre for me.
So while the poetry book is going slowly, at least there are words hitting a page.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:10 am 
WELFARIST!

Yes...words hitting the page. Honestly, that's all I ask of myself when I sit down to write every weekday. Whether they're good or not is to be determined later and after much evolution of thought and idea and tinkering...

Paid employment unexpectedly had a power outage for much of yesterday so I wrote for around two hours+ yesterday, working on the story. Now I'm up to nine pages of running story and seven pages of (some usable) discard that might be reintegrated (or not!). All to be determined, but prose is tightening, conversations are sharpening, characters are being defined and developing, action and situations are occurring. Progress!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:30 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I am going to apologize if I am posting too much in here. I am finding that some how it is keeping me working...

Any way... three more pages for this short story. And while I know that is not a lot, I am also sewing like a mad woman getting ready for a trunk sale this coming weekend.

My youngest just started writing some fan fics and we have agreed to keep each other writing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:14 pm 
WELFARIST!

I get so excited when anyone other than me posts in here. Keep posting! Posting here helps keep me going, too. I'm about to look at some of my writing work right now (just finished my paid day's work). Not sure if I'm gonna write tonight though. It's Friday, might take the night off.

Yay to progress and writing buddies!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:49 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

While I wasn't posting I finished my ghost story #1, and my favourite beta reader loves it to bits. Guess that's what happens if you don#t get enough sleep, then totally exploit that condition to up the dream-logic to the max. :)) Submitted for another antho.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:59 am 
Seagull of the PPK

I CAUGHT A FIRST SENTENCE!!!!
Of course now I can't really remember the concept. D'oh!

Sure, I said, come on over. My house is the one right next to the volcano.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:25 am 
WELFARIST!

Yay!

Torque that's a great first sentence! I think you should carry on!

I think I finally finished the poem I have going (started in July) but I say that ALL THE TIME and it never sticks. But it does seem mostly done. The weird ending I spoke of earlier didn't stick but I really like the new loaded ending I came up with last night and refined this morning, so that's something. Not a cheery poem, quite a bummer overall but I think maybe good enough to send out. A bit of time and consideration before I decide on that.

Also conceptualized another new short story. It will either be a success or failure, it's one of those ideas, there's no middle of the road for concepts like this, but I plan on keeping it short (under 1500 words) and I will at least try to pull it off. I know exactly what I'm going to do in one sense but no idea what I'm going to do at all in the other--it's sort of a dual narrative experiment.

I looked at the disgruntled customer story the other day and it's in better shape than I thought. It's so much fun in some ways but it's definitely not right yet. The ending is flippant and I can't decide if it's exactly right for it or I need to come up with something else and whether at one major turning point in the story, it's going in the right direction there. Also not sure the protagonist is entirely believable but in a way that's part of the comedy--their stupidity. It might be overkill though. It's definitely a lightweight tale and has fun parts but it's also patchy and uneven. Still needs a lot of work and more thought.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:23 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I have not been writing. Two days and nothing. I hope to restart tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:04 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

They cancelled my writing course. I was so looking forward to it :(

But I've still managed to write a little bit everyday lately (if only just a couple of lines of whatever), and I signed up for nanowrimo!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:19 pm 
WELFARIST!

Sorry your course has been canceled, Love Child. I hope they run it again soon so you have a chance to do it!

Tinkered with the poem a bit more. Just a bit of trimming. Don't have a strong opinion about it yet.

Wrote about three pages on the dual narrative idea. Right now, it's not working but it's one of those things where you just need the right groove and to hit the right sequence of ideas and it will all slide into place so I'm still working on it, thinking that by just playing with it that idea that pulls it all together will become evident.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:19 pm 
WELFARIST!

Oh, I meant to post this earlier. I believe only Canadian writers are eligible but worth entering as it's the largest cash prize for short story that I've found in Canada at $6000 Cdn for first place and $1000 apiece for four other honorable mention stories. (Journey Prize aside, which is a different contest with a greater cash award and is an editors pick contest for the best story published in Cdn literary mags every year). CBC Canada Writes a huge contest with thousands of entries so really a crepe shoot on the whole but you never know what will appeal to the judges any given year so if you have something promising between 1200 to 1500 words (about four to six pages, depending) polish it up and submit! I think the entry fee is $25 Cdn.

Link: http://www.cbc.ca/books/canadawrites/li ... hortstory/

I'm working on something for it that I'm just starting from scratch (the dual narrative thing I mentioned earlier) but not sure my piece is gonna work. I'll tinker with it a while and see if I can get anything out of it though here and there until the contest closes. The contest just opened September 1 and deadline is November 1.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:04 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Last week knocked me on my backside (family issues and then a huge sale). And I realized for my mental health I was going to have let one thing go for the week. It was writing every day. The kids start school tomorrow and I think I will be able to get back in the grove.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:58 am 
WELFARIST!

Still working steadily. The latest short story is coming along (I think). I feel sick today so not too into it but I have put my time in anyhoo but not enthused about anything but that has more to do with feeling unwell than the quality of things.

At this point I have three short stories going in various stages of progress. One poem I consider finished written recently. Another story that is pretty well finished I have to cut a couple of weak scenes from and send out somewheres because I like it overall but it's a bit too long and I need to tighten up the first three pages some.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:04 am 
WELFARIST!

I think the latest short story (I'm hoping to have ready for the CBC contest I posted above) has turned a corner and is in the final push in terms of templating it and all the character interactions set and whatnot. I have to play with the dialogue more as it's very important in this one--well, dialogue's always important but it has a greater function than usual in this particular set up. It's a pretty wonky story though and left fieldish and not mainstream enough (I don't think) for this contest but what the hell, it's what I write. The length is actually a pretty narrow margin (1200-1500) which is like a page between too much and too little. I try to keep it closer to 1500 words at this early stage of the game because I can always cut. Well, I can always add, too, but that becomes harder as things become more defined and every time you add or take away something, rebalancing seems necessary and that's a futzy hassle sometimes. A much bigger issue in poetry but I find balance is important in all things. Anyhoo, coming along. And I'm feeling better than yesterday, thank God! I had some kind of 18 hour flu yesterday and felt like shiitake.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:20 am 
WELFARIST!

I worked on my ghost story from May that didn't place in a literary contest recently so Imma try and send it out as a regular submission. I really like this story but the beginning's a problem (my nephew thinks so too) and it also needs some tightening work as May was the month where I was working on two stories--and spent most of the month on the disgruntled customer one which I couldn't get to work then and so, in desperation, I turned to my ghost story for the last few days of the month because I was able to get that into better shape than the other in the time frame and sent that off instead. So I worked on the beginning some last night and trimmed it and also trimmed down the end. It doesn't need a ton of work just the rush I was in to finish it in May is evident in the reading with these unresolved trouble spots, kind of thing. Hopefully, I can get it in better shape and back in circulation within the next couple of weeks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:24 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I just reread 50 pages I wrote last year and they are so so so so so bad. I still like the story but I just don't want to rewrite. I feel so torn between a) trying to rewrite it anyway because i never get anything finished and i hate that
b) starting something new, nanowrimo is around the corner
c) just stop trying to write

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:24 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

Onward seitanicverses! I like reading your updates. I think it is, as always, grand that y'all keep on writing.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:36 am 
WELFARIST!

VeganinBerlin wrote:
c) just stop trying to write

Noooooo! The practice of writing should really be called rewriting because that's what it mostly is!

pandacookie wrote:
Onward seitanicverses! I like reading your updates. I think it is, as always, grand that y'all keep on writing.

Thanks! I like to update too because it sort of charts my progress and I wonder if it might be interesting for some folks to see the day-to-day efforts of a struggling writer and I am happy to share the grind of my hard work and the ups and downs!

I plan to use NaNo month to try and get the last 40,000 words done on my unfinished novel that haunts me. I love the idea so much but it's very ambitious and will take a ton of work. But I really just need a solid first draft to start the painstaking grind of getting that in the tank. I have 60,000 words of it down already (going for a total of 100,000 words for the first draft of the novel).

I know I spoke of a novella earlier but I don't have time. And also, I like my novella characters but I don't think the idea or concept of it is very original. The novel, on the other hand uses the characters I like from my (unwritten but only thought about) novella and is (I think) a fairly original premise. Or at least it's more original than my novella concept.

So, yeah, I'll be all up in this place in November. And all points in between now and then! <3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:42 am 
Bathes in Braggs

You are right (ha, I wrote "you are write" before). I love writing too much anyway. Whenever I don't write my dairies just get fuller (but it totally helps that I dont need to rewrite those...).

Yes, let's spam this thread up in november :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:49 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Okay, here is the deal. I over-booked myself by a lot. And that means that something had to give. That was writing, because all my deadlines were self-imposed.

I need some sort of "real" tangible thing to make me write. I want to finish this poetry book...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:10 pm 
WELFARIST!

yeah, when I get busy the one thing that really has to be sacrificed is writing time. I'm sort of going through that right now as due to expenses, I need to make more money than usual lately so taking on more paid work and less immersion in writing....

This is not tangible but I know when I don't write, I get ideas that need some release swimming around in me and then when I finally have time to write again, I can binge-write. I get manic, too, at times when I write. Manic with the idea swimming around in me and I have to exhaust that creative energy. My sister can tell when I'm wrestling with some idea and binge-writing because my demeanor gets sort of frantic and nothing else really effects me that way. I don't know what makes me write in a tangible sense though. My main drive toward writing is for creating something that will appease me artistically/creatively and maybe effect someone else or resonate within them. Perhaps I view something in a way that they do and they've always felt that they think that way alone but when they read something I've written and I'm putting into words what I've always felt, they feel less alone ? I love when the writing of others has that effect on me and I hope to induce it in someone else. Someone can relate.

I suppose I do have some tangible goals as I continue to submit and enter contests and the like but money or fame are not what I'm after. I think what I'm after is, beyond a bit of ego-stroking that is undeniable behind that kind of action, I need some affirmation that someone who appreciates the craft as I do thinks I'm making a valuable enough contribution or at least writing something worth publishing in their view. But if you took that away, I believe I would still write but maybe with less of a sense of urgency of meeting deadlines and whatnot. But I like deadlines, it helps me structure my work and gives me excuses to do it. I still think it's (what Ted Hughes, again, encapsulates about the craft of writing) that it's a question of exhausting ingenuity more than anything else. Something about writing releases me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 603 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 25  Next