| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 591 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Writers "Kick in the Pants" thread
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:39 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

kfad wrote:
It looks as though the poetry book is a go.

Awesome!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:48 am 
WELFARIST!

Hooray on the poetry book, kfad!

I hope you find some leisure reading and writing time, Phoenix! Writing time cuts out most of my leisure reading time but I'm mostly okay with it. I do missing reading sometimes though!

Second version of ghost story is close, I think, to being finished. It's much the same premise-wise as the first version but it's so different otherwise. All different characters and histories and scenarios it's gotten a lot shorter (haven't typed up the latest edits--about to, but it's now falling in the 1000-1500 words range - it was initially 3000-4000 ish in the first version). The humor's sharper and comes faster and more regularly in this one--I think? I hope? It helps that it's shorter text-wise! It's something of ghost story screwball comedy mostly? Anyway, I think I'm pleased with it. There's one maybe weak transition that bugs me and maybe another one later but it's shaping up nicely on the whole, I think. We'll see! It now incorporates the original idea of the first version and it also uses up another idea I had from a (failed) short story I wrote around two or three years ago that I always liked but never got to work in it's original. So it's a two-fer!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:35 pm 
WELFARIST!

I'm dropping the planned story for the CBC contest. It just sucks and there's no fixing it I decided this morning. It's a bad idea and I'm not pulling the premise off and I've toyed with it, thought about it, etc. It was an experiment and I knew it was going in so I'm fine with it, I just don't want to waste any more time on a deadbeat. I might not enter the contest now though as I have nothing in that length except ghost story 2.0 and I don't think that's right for CBC contest, based on reading what's won in the past and I sort of have GS2.0 earmarked for a different place that I think may give it a better chance. I'm not sure how strong ghost story 2.0 is as a story but whatever it is, it's nearly finished. After a bit more polishing, I think I need some time away from it to decide. It's been mighty fun to write though and there are tons of discards and darlings murdered from the whole project that might be resurrected in other stuff to see the light of day in their own right one day...

Onward!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:22 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

A friend of mine posted a piece of music that inspired me to write two poems. One will need loads of reworking as the flow is a bit like falling down stairs, but more painful.

I think I have a small publishing house that will publish for me.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:38 pm 
WELFARIST!

Hooray, kfad! I tried to write a poem a couple of evenings ago about a topic that really resonates with me but I couldn't come up with any keepable lines or images but I'll keep chipping away at the idea.

Ghost story 2.0 is complete (in my eyes). I do like it and sent it out to the first place on Friday for consideration but it's sort of an anomaly. It's nothing deep, it's a fairly light frolic and screwball comedic (and it's a ghost/afterlife story) and honestly I don't often see such things in publication but I've done the best I can do with it and we'll see what editors say now. It has a good beginning, a nice ending and an entertaining middle and it all ties up nicely so it works in my eyes. Onward to my next project! Which will either be back at the disgruntled customer one or the other one I was conceptualizing that is eerie and a literary story. I think I referred to it previously calling it the "misfits and alienated one" and I'm not sure that's the strongest theme of it anymore but I've been thinking about it a lot and I think have seven pages of material (not including research) so far on it so I have to pick that up next.

Also conceptualizing another creative non fiction piece which have proven to be my most successful prose writing endeavors to date, although I spend the least time working in that genre by far. I guess because it's more deeply emotional stuff and I don't really write too much deep emotion into my fiction, which is actually a big problem for me that I'm working on. Very difficult material that hardly bears thinking about and when I do think about it my mind immediately turns away but Imma face it down as I've been trying to for a couple of years and try and write about it. I tried to write about it last year but the piece never really came together so I abandoned it for the time being.

Yay, everyone! I've been quiet this week and not posting here as I was doing the final hard push on ghost story 2.0 to get it into shape and that swallowed ALL my spare time last week so that even my PPK updates were sacrificed!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:24 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Great progress, everyone!

I'm going to be in this: http://dreamscapepress.wordpress.com/20 ... asy-tales/
Submissions are still open (and it's fun)!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:22 am 
Chard Martyr

I love and miss you guys! Congrats on all the achievements! Life has dealt me a creative wasteland due to overworking/illness, but I have ideas.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:59 pm 
WELFARIST!

Yay! Love and miss you too, vijita!

Phoenix, that contest looks fun. Flash fiction! 100 words is really short, too, and doable in a short time.

I looked at my disgruntled customer story yesterday and added a scene that I think will help this loose-endsy transition in it that's been bugging me for months, but then I put it aside and haven't looked at it since or typed up the changes or whatnot. You know those ads for this is what your brain looks like on drugs and it's a fried egg or something? Well, my brain looks like a desolate post apocalyptic wasteland with smoke rising from cracked soil after last week's creative BINGE to get ghost story 2.0 into shape-for-an-editor's-eyes so I think I need a break. Just creatively tapped out at the moment. Not sure I'll write much this week because it seems I need to recharge. But I hope everyone else makes progress!!! I might feel differently tomorrow and wind up working but , just sayin'. I'm giving myself a pass this week from it if I need it. My brain is a sad, deflated sack fresh out of idears at the mo.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:00 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I know my creativity goes in cycles. Taking breaks helps keep you sane (I think).

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:28 pm 
WELFARIST!

Typed up the changes to the disgruntled customer story just now which is just really copying changes I've handwritten on the typewritten copy last printed August 14 so the copy I'm working from is criss crossed with crossed out scenes and added scenes and editing and stuff that I've been editing on it over the last two months whenever I've stuck my head in it and I'm sure no one but me could ever read it or make sense of it because it's an unreadable mess so I really need a fresh copy to work from now. Dare I say it might be in good enough shape that I can pull it together by the end of the month and perhaps send it somewhere for consideration? We'll see. Anyway, it seems to be coming together. That little bridging scene I added made a difference and the transition I always worried about that would leave readers saying what the fizzle? might be less what the fizzle? now. It might make more sense. And I worked a lot on the ending today, tied up some ends. We'll see.

I have the other ghoulish photography story to work on too before the end of the month but that's in the very early stages and I'll never have it ready by the end of the month but maybe a complete early draft of that is doable by the end of October--before Nano!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:58 pm 
WELFARIST!

Started another new poem last night worked on it a little more this morning. Not sure it will come to anything.

A rejection came in. Not unexpected. Promptly prepared rejected story to send to another publication for consideration. Will put in mail tomorrow. Still too pooped and depleted from last week to write much this week. I'll look at the poem again tonight!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:54 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I start work on Monday. Why did I put this here? Because most of my job is to sit and be a body at the front desk.I have permission and encouragement to work on other projects while I am there.
First project up: poetry and lots of it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:45 pm 
WELFARIST!

I'd love a job where I could write poetry! But then, I'd be pissed if I was in the middle of a line or thought and someone interrupted.

Very busy with housework this week as having weekend guests so not writing very much at all. Wrote a poem but don't think I think much of it at this moment. Maybe can still work it into something better though so keep chipping at it a bit every day when I have time.

I sent three stories to new magazines out for consideration this weekend and one rejection came in already for the weakest of the three. Not surprising. I think I'll pull it out of circulation anyhoo as it doesn't quite work but I thought I'd try (it was rejected from one place before whose criticism/feedback I trust but I thought I'd pass it by another pair of editorial eyes JIC).

The other two stories I'm more hopeful about but in this bidness, I expect rejection first and foremost on all things and let acceptances be a happy surprise.

One of the two stories was rejected by one place a year or so ago (I took it out of circulation a while so I could think about it after that) but they told me they'd look at it again if I considered expanding it because it was a "Twilight Zone" type story and they wanted more. That was all right by me because when I wrote it I set out to write a Twilight Zone style story that sort of leaves one hanging and unresolved. It was a total experiment for me at the time. I haven't expanded it yet though and sent it out to another place in it's original, unexpanded state. Honestly, I like it how it is as is but I understand and appreciate their criticism. I actually thought I might one day expand it right into a novel and not make it a short story anymore and if it keeps getting rejected as is, then I might take their advice and expand the story or write a novel, eventually, using the material...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:19 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

When I was 16 through about 25 (about the time the first kid came along) I was sure I was a writer that was going to change the world.
I had one acceptance that was not through connections that I had. I don't mind rejections, especially if they come with notes. I think they help me grow as a writer.

Although as a poet, I find smaller groups of "testers" to be more helpful. One thing I learned working for the magazine is that not everyone picking what goes into a publication has an ear for poetry. (And sadly, in some cases prose).

In fact, I have requests in that are making me debate creating a local poets support group. Or I may be nuts.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:31 pm 
WELFARIST!

kfad wrote:
When I was 16 through about 25 (about the time the first kid came along) I was sure I was a writer that was going to change the world.
I had one acceptance that was not through connections that I had. I don't mind rejections, especially if they come with notes. I think they help me grow as a writer.

Although as a poet, I find smaller groups of "testers" to be more helpful. One thing I learned working for the magazine is that not everyone picking what goes into a publication has an ear for poetry. (And sadly, in some cases prose).

In fact, I have requests in that are making me debate creating a local poets support group. Or I may be nuts.

Rejection is much more motivating to me. When I get a rejection, I vow to work harder. Sometimes, I'll pick up my work again within the hour or even within minutes to get to it or try to improve it before sending it somewhere else, etc. But rejection fires me up!

When I get an acceptance (rare!) I always tell myself it's okay now to take a vacation and get complacent and start feeling too pleased with myself and that always kills my creativity. Artists aren't only starving for lack of funds, I find a large part of creativity is in wanting for something. An unfulfilled artist is a good thing.

My determination is at it's best when I'm feeling like my work isn't good enough, ifyouknowwhati'msayin'.

The local poets support group sounds like a good idea. I certainly enjoyed workshopping. Not interested as much in it anymore but I went for four different sessions (each lasting a semester or around three to four months) while I was in school and found it very beneficial and it still stands as the most motivated and motivating period I've yet had in writing. I don't think I could ever match that energy again but I SUCKED so the output's all terrible. But it started me on the road to working toward better things! <3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:45 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

OMG its nanowrimo time. and my space bar is not working properly so i need to train myself to space bar with my left hand. if previous years are any indication, i will have a marvelous first week and then an avalanche of work. time to think of ideas.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:36 am 
WELFARIST!

Well, I came up with another idea for the CBC story contest (for Canadian writers) I posted of some posts back and now I'm furiously working on that because I'm down to having only days to prep something in time to get it in. This particular story is much more the contest-content's steam (at least I think so--in other words, generally depressing and about death LAWLZ--this writer who won the contest one year and I saw speak in Toronto once said of this contest: "You've got to include in your story a birth and a death." and some other element which I can't remember--maybe a parent - but just sort of a dig from a former winner that the contest's winning content is generally somewhat predictable, I suppose--but a different, racier type story won last year, which I'm always happy to see) but anyhoo, woiking away on that contest entry now. The story's going very well so far, ties up nicely it's all figured out in terms of what happens, but I worry that at times the dialogue/exchanges border on melodramatic or might be overmuch in places so I'm trying to balance it, give it some subtlety. I dunno, I might be too close to it to call it. But I think it's gonna be ready in time to enter in the contest at least, and wont embarrass me TOO MUCH in front of the readers or editors/fellow writers who'll be reading it, however it turns out.

About to type up the changes and hope they fall into the word count parameters (if anything, it will fall short of 1200 word minimum--max word count is 1500 words) but it keeps coming in range with every edit, so that's good. Anyway, onward with that.

I guess my eerie story will stay unfinished and I will try and get time in on that during NaNo November.

Novel work begins again in November!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:53 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

Onward sv!

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:56 am 
WELFARIST!

^Yes, thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:41 pm 
WELFARIST!

Work on the CBC entry proceeds. It's pretty much done, minus a wee bit more tinkering with phrasing and such. I like it overall. It's doing what I want, as a story.

I just realized, though, that one major theme or device in the story is very similar to another writer's who won the contest two years ago but I feel like my approach is different, the scenario is different, etc. Still, it looks sprung from that idea or is copycattish, maybe, to some, but I din't copy, I had this idea in my head for ages, I swear! An early version of it is even in my notebook from five years ago. I mean, it's not that close to the other, but it has its similarities. Oh, well. Imma sending it off anyhoo. Friday I plan to put it in the mail after these next couple of days of tinker-polishing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:46 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I'll ill and still haven't finished by BA thesis that I wanted to finish today but I'd still like to do nanowrimo... just... I don't have any inspiration or idea whatsoever. This is freaking me out. Normally I just have to think about something for minutes and I'll be all over the idea.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:18 am 
WELFARIST!

Yeah, Nano starts tomorrow. Well my contest entry comes first and I'm putting in the mail tomorrow then I'll worry about Nano but I'm going for around 40,000 more words this month to add to my already 60,000 word novel draft. I'm actually looking forward to Nano, it'll be a break for me because I've been trying to get as many short submissions ready as possible these last couple of months before I dive back into my novel again because when I start working on my novel, the poetry and shorter prose submissions trickle to a standstill.

My CBC story entry is pretty much complete. Just a little tightening up today. I'm not so worried about it being similar to the story I mentioned in the previous post--I don't think either of us are the first to deal with this topic by a long shot and in the final analysis my story is different enough. I'm just doing my best with it, sending it off tomorrow and hoping for the best because it'll be out of my hands then and I can do no more...until it gets rejected from the contest and comes back to me for further future work and editing. LAWLZ.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:58 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i have been having fun collecting some of my older stories i have scattered around places and realizing that there is a significant amount of editing work that needs to take place on them. one had a GLARING error that hit me right between the eyes yesterday and i swear i've read that damn story a hundred times. maybe my paid revision work is paying off.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:14 pm 
WELFARIST!

^Seriously, that's why I googled the word askew earlier. I'm down to the nitty gritty editing on my story, looking up words I well know the meaning of but just making sure I get the right slant, you know, pinning exact meanings down. One early scene is a bit weak in the sense of...I probably could have come up with something a bit stronger and more poignant to make my point there but I'm running out of time here and the rest is pretty strong, I think. I just printed up what I think is the last revision and I'll look it over one more time tomorrow before sending. I have to go to the post office and get it postmarked because tomorrow is the deadline (postmark date) for the contest. Yeah, I spend hours revising. HOURS. I can spend two hours poring over something and a total of eight words will be changed in a piece and maybe a comma inserted and a sentence or two rearranged. That's what always happens when I get to the end of things. A lot more concentrated time on the smallest details.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:32 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

it's so funny, when i "sell" revision to clients it's all about that extra pair of eyes. i need an extra pair of eyes too. also:
Quote:
googling askew earlier...... just making sure I get the right slant,

snort

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 591 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next