| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 601 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Writers "Kick in the Pants" thread
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:06 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

huzzah!! That's awesome. Congratulations!

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:14 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Congrats! That is awesome.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:24 am 
WELFARIST!

Thanks, guys!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:25 am 
WELFARIST!

Sent off a more finalized version of disgruntled customer story to a (somewhat maybe hopeful) place a couple of days ago. One dialogue section maybe went on a little long in the middle, but it had been too abrupt in earlier versions and I maybe tipped it too much the other way in the latest version but I was just DONE with it by then and felt it was in better balance even if it was a bit overlong than the previous too-abruptness. Also, I am sure there are other problems in the story but I don't really want to think about it anymore at the mo' and that dialogue is the only thing still rankling me a bit about it but you do what you can. It's the best version of the story I can make it right now and Lard knows I put the work in, and so it has to do.

Anyway, onward with the creepy morbid romance short story I'm conceptualizing!

I have the idea for a poem in my head that I've had for a long time and struggle so much to express the ideas in it. That's still ongoing, still thinking how best to express the idea. I can't even get one line down though, I can't even get started. It all seems the wrong path but I know the idea is solid...just, where to start with it, where to go...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:33 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Congrats, sv! And good luck with your current projects.

My latest article is to be found here (now my second one on the site): http://79.170.40.240/infiniteearths.co.uk/?p=1200

And I'm waiting to hear back about several fiction submissions.
I have one commissioned piece I'm currently working on, which should have been finished by the end of November. But then some family issues got in the way (my grandma is in very bad health) & I hope I'll get away with sending it more than late. To be finished in the next couple days - hopefully!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:53 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Okay so I finished NaNo and then took a break on my WIP (holidays, flu, etc) but I'm back. I used the 1/2 off code and got myself Scrivener, and I'm still figuring it out. Things happen, and I don't know what or why, but I persevere. Rereading and adding more detail to what I have now, then will fill in the holes, expand, etc.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:42 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm doing something scary - I've started an experimental serial. I never know what's going to happen in the next installment!

It's something like YA utopian SFF, and it's here: http://sewolawen.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:18 pm 
WELFARIST!

Congrats on your article, Phoenix!!! I have several submissions on the go, too. I try to keep a few going but when I start working on the novel, that number can go down so I worked very hard before last year's end trying to get a few short pieces and poems going that I can circulate while I try to get into my novel for a while. I have three stories that are (maybe kind of) solid (two SF and the other straight up literary) and I have a couple of poems under consideration so I think that was a nice yield for the time spent. I have one more short story to get going (have a deadline of January 23 on that--so unless a miracle happens that will be draft-y and not in its final form by then) but anyway, things are going on. I spent more time researching stuff for my short story but that research is starting to feel procrastinate-ish so I think I should just get going on the story and characters and worry about research later. But also, I'm also hoping that my research will give me that little kernel to build the story on because I have ideas for it but nothing concrete at the mo and nothing's driving it story-wise yet--just a scenario and a bit of a situation is what I have. I need something to get readers interested and have a result of some sort of entertainment or something worthwhile for their reading investment, sort of thing, and that's not happening for me with this idea--yet. Argh, something better come soon on it because I've been sitting on this particular scenario for a story for a while now!

Yay, appifanie! More writers!!!! <3 <3 <3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:56 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yay for more writers - and more progress!! <3

The commissioned story I mentioned earlier, a pulp adventure called "Children of the Revolution", is going to be published in the first issue of this local Weird Fiction magazine: http://visionariumjournal.wordpress.com/
(Their website is so pretty!) So if anyone here speaks German... ;)

And even while I was finishing this, I've been writing at least 500 words a day for my new serial. Now, after a week of blogging, I'm at 4k words, and it's been huge fun.
Why haven't I started doing this earlier?!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:53 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

phoenix, hurray on both counts!!

seitanic :D

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:49 pm 
WELFARIST!

Phoenix wrote:
The commissioned story I mentioned earlier, a pulp adventure called "Children of the Revolution", is going to be published in the first issue of this local Weird Fiction magazine: http://visionariumjournal.wordpress.com/
(Their website is so pretty!) So if anyone here speaks German... ;)

Yay! I can't read German but I recognize your name on what looks to me like the contributor's list!!!!

More progress on my creepy morbid story--at least I'm working things out in it. I think I came up with the drive or reason for the tale to exist or be written. It's really not that compelling an idea to me sitting here, but if approached in the right way, it could be, sort of thing. It could also be 'so what?', on the other hand. Anyway, it's what I'm going with for now as I think my angle would be the heart of my main character's intention anyway and true and relevant of the time/technology of its setting and gives me plenty of room to move in terms of story and character--it's not limiting, it keeps things open and doesn't paint me into any plotting corners. I wonder if it will be enough though. Only one way to find out and that's to keep working...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:41 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Doing some panicking over here. I just wrote my first review and am getting ready to send it off. The thing is, I was asked to do it (so hooray), but I've never ever written a review of anything before and I am really worried that it sucks.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:59 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Good luck kfad!!

Best Saturday ever.
As I'm getting ready to write the last episode of my serial (that I've been writing on a daily basis since 4 January), really awesome mails are collecting in my inbox:

The collection with the German story is out (and the cover is really cool): http://www.amazon.de/dp/1494989875
The haunting story has been accepted by digital zine Wyrd Daze (http://wyrddaze.wordpress.com/) and will appear in their March issue.
And another online magazine has asked me to send them something I have lying around unpublished - and I think I have just the thing. :)

So stoked. Now I'll have to write more, since I'm running out of unpublished material!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:09 pm 
WELFARIST!

I love the Visionarium cover, phoenix! It's seriously awesome!

Very exciting goings on! Running out of material is excellent incentive to write more.

I haven't been working on my creepy morbid story much--preoccupied with kitties since I recently got a new one but working on it for a period of time every weekday. I don't think I'll have it ready in time but at the moment, I don't care too much. I might just renew the subscription without entering anything in the contest. Although I try not to do that, I try to use contests as incentive to write something new, but I'm just not feeling it at the moment. I might also still come up with a poem--there's still a bit of time for that. Anyway, work continues just not as intense as before, which is fine. The focus on anything else is always temporary and I'll get back to more focused writing when I'm ready.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:08 am 
WELFARIST!

Didn't get the CMS (creepy morbid story) ready in time for deadline--wrote two poems instead for the contest (and to renew subscription) for same magazine, so I got something in for consideration. I think I'm semi-pleased with the poems--or I was last night--but I definitely don't think they're contest winners. Nothing to be ashamed of though, perfectly good poems to shop around once judging is over. There's one where I'm not sure of two lines but they also don't stand out like sore thumbs. Just not sure if they're in context with the rest of it--but my writing could use some departures here and there. I have a need to shore up all connections I think I could let up a bit now and then--especially with poetry.

Have my novel manuscript out now to skim through and starting thinking of that again, but not planning on working too hard today on the writing. I mostly wrote the two poems yesterday and the day before so I pushed them out hard and quickly and they haven't had time to ferment and I might feel differently about them when I look at them in a week. Anyway, I'm just glad I got something that can pass for finished (for now, anyway) in on time.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:21 pm 
WELFARIST!

So one of the poems I wrote a week or so ago didn't really come together, I decided, after a week or so of fermenting but I've since rewritten it and think it now works. Definitely more cohesive and all its looseness is gone. The problem with it before was that it was really two poems in one and the first two-thirds was the stronger stuff so I cut the last three or four stanzas and solidified the better ideas. Now I think it's done--or close to being so.

The other poem was actually not bad in it's original state and other than questioning one-half of one word in it--I've left it alone. So dere's dat. In other words, still at it. I'm in a poetry frame of mind these days.

I think I've gotten three or four rejections on assorted things (poems and short prose pieces) since I last posted here--two rejects on the same story. (An old story I first started circulating in 2011). Not ouch though. I usually stop circulating things after three rejections come in on it but there are some pieces that I can keep getting behind even though they keep getting rejected everywhere I send them and so long as I keep rereading them and still liking them, I'll keep sending them--and this is one of those. Trying to find new markets for the rejects I still believe in and tinkering with poems still in progress. Piddly stuff lately but it's all moving forward.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:12 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

OMG, more experimentation & new ground. I'm working on a collaborative comic project with a very talented internet friend - and it's going to be so beautiful!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:20 pm 
WELFARIST!

^Yay! I'm excited to hear about progress! I'm trying some new ground too. I'm trying to write a pulp fiction story for this magazine's theme call:

http://subterrain.ca/about/35/sub-terra ... guidelines

(Scroll down a bit on the page to issue #68 to see for what they're looking for a submission)

Although SubTerrain is a Canadian magazine, I believe they take international submissions, so if anyone has pulp fictionish stories in their repertoire maybe try and submit here. They pay if you are selected for publication! I am a subscriber to SubTerrain and I think it's quality reading. After all, they published Michael Christie's Goodbye Porkpie Hat a few years ago (which is my favorite short story by a Canadian EVAR. And one of my all-time favorite short stories EVAR. Like, second only to Shirley Jackson's The Lottery for me). The published pieces in their magazine have a more urban and grittier vibe than much of your standard CanLit mags so it kind of stands apart to me as one of my fave Canadian literary journals, personally.

I read a few pulp stories from this website: http://www.blackmaskmagazine.com/fiction.html
to get an idea of what pulp stories of the day were like if anyone is interested and wants to familiarize themselves with the genre.

My story is awful, just awful at this point, to say the least, but I'm not even finished the first draft but I think it's a pretty good idea to work with, at least, and has the potential to be both humorous and poignant if I can pull it off but that's a tall order. After reading a few story samples from the archives of Black Mask magazine (see above link), I decided I would have to write a parody of the genre if I'm going to do it at all. Anyway, just trying this out. I'll give it a go and see if I can get anything going. If not, I have plenty of other things going. This will be a bit of a lark and I'll see what comes of it.

Anyway, onward! & hooray for experimentation! <3 <3 <3

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:02 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Ooh, writing pulp is such fun! Good luck with your story, sv!

Aaand my most lovely muse has talked me into starting a new serial, over here: http://openplancitysky.wordpress.com/2014/02/08/1-3/
It's scary, but it's also so much fun!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:25 pm 
WELFARIST!

That serial looks like a great beginning, Phoenix!

I'm working with two pulpish ideas now (worked with the first idea for a while this weekend--can't really get anything going with it, though) so started a second idea last night and while it's a fine opening scene and seems to have more of a pulpish flavor than the first idea, as a story I have no clue where it's going whereas I knew where the first story was going, I just couldn't get it going. All this has driven me back to the creepy morbid story which I have been working on some more today--and feel maybe I've had a bit of a breakthrough in conceptualizing it. I'm keeping it super simple though, but it's reading quite well right now. Have not written the ending yet or even the middle. Really just working on the characters and getting them developed because the scenario is really very simple.

That's the nice thing about having a few projects going at once--when one frustrates you, turn back to another that was frustrating you a week ago and you have a fresh head and more patience for it again. My problem is right now that all my projects are in early stages and I'm feeling nothing to get excited about yet. I do not like creation-writing, like coming up with the story and scenes for the concept and stuff at the beginning of projects. I love having fun with the characters though. That's where I'm trying to have my fun right now. I figure if I can get characters going, I can slot them into a more substantial story later.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:19 am 
WELFARIST!

I'm not invested in my writing right now. The Olympics are on during my writing time! The Olympics come only once every four years!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:34 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Consider yourself kicked in the pants!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:40 am 
WELFARIST!

^Owza! I think it worked, though. <3

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:26 pm 
WELFARIST!

Finally got a good source of conflict going in the creepy morbid story. Finally! Argh, I've been waiting, thinking on it, plotting ideas, playing with characters, writing descriptive passages, all trying to get something going, all going nowhere. So far, it's flowing much better with the new conflict introduced. I don't know sometimes why I try so hard to get one idea going where I'll more easily give up another and pack it in when it's just not working on the page, but I really want to work with this material and feel I have to find a way. It's different and strange. Weeks (months?) now of trying directions on and discarding them, chipping away at characters, settings and scenarios and only finally got something of a potential flow going. The basic narrative, characters and settings have mostly stayed the same the whole time though. It was just the conflict I needed. Onward!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:22 pm 
WELFARIST!

For Canadian writers: Maisonneuve magazine's annual genre contest. Mystery is this year's theme. 1200 words max (~4-5 pages) deadline for entries March 31, 2014. More info at below link.

http://maisonneuve.org/contest/maisonne ... n-contest/

So I managed to write the entire draft of one of the ideas I had for the SubTerrain pulp fiction submission on Wednesday (it's presently 2800 words) but I think I'll whittle it down and try and shorten it enough to submit to this mystery contest to Maisonneuve instead. I still have another idea I can pursue for SubTerrain, if I like (I'm thinking I won't because I have enough on my plate--but I have that other idea going). I just like having deadlines to work toward.

Anyway, the mystery story is still first draft and I was editing it earlier and doing tons of cutting and it's not hurting for it (why I'm thinking I can get it down to under 1200 words in the final analysis) but the thing is that I love the ending--like I'm just gonna write the whole story so I can have that ending. And mysteries need strong endings! So at this point, that's the plan for that idea.

But plans are always a'changing. Onward!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 601 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next