| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 604 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Writers "Kick in the Pants" thread
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:56 pm 
WELFARIST!

I've been super busy, too, though trying to write when I can.

Still pulling the disgruntled customer story together. Hopefully will be able to send it out soon but not rushing it.

Formulating two new story ideas in my head hopefully will draft soon. I'd really like to get some new stories going as I like to have things in all stages of development so I am always "in the mood" to work on something. My favorite story stage is nearing final editing when I feel it's all coming together--but argh...getting there! I'm least often in the mood to draft brand new stuff (i.e., blank page) so when I have that feeling of a new idea coming over me, I tend to drop everything and write then and there when my mind is into it. Sometimes if I wait too long, the excitement for an idea diminishes. The first five edits (or so, depending) are always the most arduous. Then it gets more enjoyable for me so I'm always after getting to that nearing-end stage in writing.

Sent out a recently rejected submission (that I can still get behind) to a new place to see if they'll bite.

Today, I spent an hour working on the creepy morbid story which is not coming together at all in any complete way but I keep chip, chip, chipping away. Still sticking with a literary vein for it (only because I can't think of a suitable spec fiction direction). One of these days, I'll figure it out! Tinkered with maybe the first three pages of the disgruntled customer story too. It's pretty well set in terms of story/character, just rewriting, tightening sentences, working on economy of language, etc. The stuff I live for!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:20 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just finished the... thing. It's a novel.
Sure, it needs some editing, and I'll need an agent - but it's a forking 50K word novel.
I feel mighty pleased.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:03 pm 
WELFARIST!

Phoenix wrote:
I just finished the... thing. It's a novel.
Sure, it needs some editing, and I'll need an agent - but it's a forking 50K word novel.
I feel mighty pleased.

Hurray!!!! So exciting!!! Congratulations!!!

I'm paring down (and perhaps subsequently adding to) the disgruntled customer story (still!) which is (still!) a work in progress and just some kind of ridiculous odyssey now--and not talking about the story at all here but the relentless work I've put into it. I've just decided to relax into what it's taking to make this story work and stop worrying about all the time I've spent trying because maybe it'll be a good story when I finally finish. Just maaaaybe. *fingers crossed* That's all I really want it to be after all this for whatever it takes and however long it takes and whatever I have to do to make that happen--and at the very least when all is said and done, no one could say I didn't try...

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:07 pm 
WELFARIST!

Another overhaul edit of the disgruntled customer story went down today. Too close to it to call it, but it still ain't finished. It might be losing it's comedic element, but I'm trying to put it in in ways where it has to lose it (i.e., comedy too juvenile/stupid in some scenes in the original). There's still some juvenile comedy in there, methinks, but more stuff I can live with? I don't know right now. Anyway, it's too much still in transition to say what's staying or going. This story takes so much work because it's longish (ten full pages right now) and story-wise it's complex--which I'm trying to simplify because I actually don't like much complexity--my preference is for pared down simplicity. Some I'm trying to simplify all its complexity which I think is really what's making it so challenging. Onward!

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:22 pm 
WELFARIST!

Been working on a poem today. Astronomy-related. Always fun. Trying to lengthen my lines and be more relaxed in my verse with more narrative but still trying to cram it with imagery and metaphor. I've been chipping away at this poem maybe a week now but did the most work of all on it today. It's longish (two pages--long for me).

Edited the DCS (disgruntled customer story) again on Tuesday but haven't typed up the changes. Letting it breathe.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:35 pm 
WELFARIST!

Mainly working on the long (almost three pages--around 76 text-line) poem I mentioned in the above post. I never say this about my poetry because I'm mostly a lousy poet, but I REALLY like this poem. It...works. Thanks to lavawitch, zwingtip and Mars for helping me out with some theoretical stuff early in its conception.

Also still working on disgruntled customer story. Cut more from it. It feels a little cut off at the knees right now when reading it over, but maybe, in time, I'll see its the way to go. Too much trying to explain things in earlier versions. I'm trying to simplify it not complicate it so much and leave those details for the reader to figure. Honestly not sure I'll ever be happy with this story but sometimes that's the way it goes. As a process, I've learned a lot from it so there's something gained even if it doesn't work as a decent story in the final analysis. We'll see! It's never ovah till it's ovah and it ain't over yet! Still trying to make this idea work. Not even thinking about the time anymore thus far that's been poured into ten measly pages with more to come. Gulp! I was heartened to read an interview by a writer I admire recently and they stated that nine out of ten of their ideas don't work (or at least they, as the writer, can't make them work--maybe another writer could). I know the feeling. I learned that lesson for myself from writing poetry but I thought MAYBE prose would be different. I don't think it will be.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:37 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I have entire folders on all of my hard drives full of opening chapters I couldn't get off the ground. So I guess it's heartening to hear that actual writers aren't always successful heh. Though I suppose with anything creative, for all the masterpieces there are probably loads of things that didn't work. People tell my I'm good at drawing, but that's most likely because they haven't seen all the crepe that just went straight in the bin.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:14 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Already 10.5K into my new SF project. And one of my favourite magazines just contacted me again, expressing interest in more material, so I guess I'll also have to come up with a new noir short story. brainstorming ideas, sketching out storylines - oh, and procrastinating the fork out of the actual work I should be doing. Naughty, naughty.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:38 pm 
WELFARIST!

Quail wrote:
I have entire folders on all of my hard drives full of opening chapters I couldn't get off the ground. So I guess it's heartening to hear that actual writers aren't always successful heh. Though I suppose with anything creative, for all the masterpieces there are probably loads of things that didn't work. People tell my I'm good at drawing, but that's most likely because they haven't seen all the crepe that just went straight in the bin.

Absolutely. And all the stuff that didn't work is like training ground for those ideas that do. So you gotta hang in there and keep trying so you'll be ready when that rare idea that works comes. I'm often surprised by which of my ideas work and which ones don't work--or I can't make work, anyhoo.

Phoenix wrote:
Already 10.5K into my new SF project. And one of my favourite magazines just contacted me again, expressing interest in more material, so I guess I'll also have to come up with a new noir short story. brainstorming ideas, sketching out storylines - oh, and procrastinating the fork out of the actual work I should be doing. Naughty, naughty.

Awesome, woot!!! I love noir stories!!!

Finally finished the astrology poem (the latest). It's all tight now and I feel the right words in the best order I can get them and I'm happy with it.

Resurrected (topical irony!) another poem that I wrote back in 2002 and have always liked and shopped around to several places with no takers back when. My sister even likes it and she hates poetry. She once picked it as her favorite of mine. So anyway, I still like it reading it lately and thought up a new title for it that gives it another sort of dimension and I think Imma try shopping it around again see if the new title does anything for it in an editor's eyes or it's really just a dud and I'm not recognizing it.

Disgruntled customer story down to 2136 words. I think it's working (maybe?). Or at least more so. It's more integrated than it was before and with less explanation. Cut it all down to essentials. I rewrote some scenes to give it a little more emotional poignancy than it initially had--when I was trying to be strictly humourous. Still trying to keep as much humor in as I can, just elsewhere and in other ways, I suppose. Plan to send it somewhere in two days so whatever state it's in, it's going and I'll put it to rest until the rejection (har) comes back from that and then I'll have another surge of energy for it again. I can't believe I am STILL not fatigued on this story. Shows how bad I want it to work, I suppose.

All things considered, honestly, I'm not very bummed about this Disgruntled Customer Story ordeal because the astronomy poem works and it's long-ish (two-and-a quarter pages) and I feel like that's some kind of gift from whatever powers-that-be to me for this otherwise frustrating bit of time I've been having with the work lately. Onward!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:55 pm 
WELFARIST!

Working on poems lately. Yesterday resurrected a poem I wrote in 2011 and cut it in half, wrote a new ending, added a stanza of black comedy, got some thematic consistency going on throughout and voila I think it's ready and no longer in the dust bin waiting for a better idea to finish it--Imma send it out somewhere.

The DCS (disgruntled customer story) is still not to my satisfaction but I think I need to adjust my expectations in the sense that it's not a serious story, never was a serious story and I'm trying to make it a serious story. The premise does not fit with "serious story". If I want a serious story with the material, I have to reconceptualize it and I'm kinda too tired of the idea again to take it that far. So, accepting it for what it is it's...fine...for now...I guess...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:43 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I'm going to put my mind to editing the novel I wrote as a teenager. It will need a lot of editing to make it good (my writing has improved since then!) but I think I can make it work :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:07 pm 
WELFARIST!

^Awesome!

I was actually going to get my novel manuscript out (on its third draft) and read it over soon. Even though it's third draft, it's really nowhere near being where it needs to be. I just balk at the amount of work a novel will take. It just seems such a massive undertaking and there's so much to keep track of in terms of story, plotting and character. And I really favor clean, clear writing in the final analysis which takes a tremendous amount of editing for me to achieve since I tend to throw every idea on a given subject onto the page and then sift through it all as I go.

Since I've been writing poetry more again lately, it occurs to me that poetry is the heroin of my writing gratification. It always holds the greatest possibility of throwing something satisfying together in the least amount of time.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:42 am 
WELFARIST!

Sorry if I posted this link previously, but here's a link for speculative fiction/horror/genre writing. It seems to be updated regularly:

DarkMarkets: http://darkmarkets.com/

Work's been crazy lately with transitioning to new software so I haven't had the time or creative energy for any new personal writing projects, but when I have some spare time, I've been revitalizing some of my genre stories that I've already written in the past few years and am hoping to send a couple out to some publications I've found via DarkMarkets.

Right now polishing a story I wrote in the summer of 2011 (spec fic/noir that's really pretty much done. I just cleaned up a couple of sloppy scenes/a bit of rewriting) and then another (ghost) story I wrote in spring of 2013 that needs more work than the first but it's mostly just editing stuff--story-wise it's pretty much thought out.

I already submitted the 2011 story to one DarkMarket publication but withdrew it the next day because I felt I saw a (potentially) better match for it through a Cdn anthology that would give me a better turnaround (they say they'll respond within 30 days where the first place was a six month response rate) and now am readying the story to send there for consideration. Anyway, it seems to be a good link with lots of possibilities for potential matches for genre writing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:43 am 
WELFARIST!

I'm still forging ahead with projects, even though I haven't posted here. Have 7000-word beginnings of novella going. Goal for the first draft is 15000-20000 words. Once I hit 15 000, I'll start wrapping it up, basically. I hope to finish in a week or two (prolly two).

The disgruntled customer story....GAH! I can't even... Basically, I'm of the mind that it's time to move on with other projects and it's not the right time to solve the ongoing puzzle of this idea that I just can't seem to resolve any way I try on the page. I'm going to look at it again right now, in fact, just to see how it's doing but it's time to move on from investing any more significant time in it unless some sudden 'eureka!' overcomes me and solves it.

Thinking of other projects too and adding to them when I can.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:00 pm 
WELFARIST!

Now I'm writing a short story that's a resurrection of one (re-conceptualized) I was writing a while back where I was getting nowhere with the original concept. Now that the concept's changed, it's flowing much better and I know the direction it's going. It's always easier when this second iteration of an idea happens because you've already thought through a lot of stuff and certain ways are clearer. So having to trash an initial idea, even after trying to develop it to a certain extent, isn't always a bad thing.

The deadline on the novella is February 2016 (I'mma try entering it in a contest if it works out and if I have it ready by then and that's just the deadline of one particular contest) so I have time but I think I'll put it aside for the next couple of weeks and forge ahead with the shorter story because I've been living with that idea longer and it would be nice to have another short story to circulate while I work on the novella which is gonna take awhile because there's so much more text to manage.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:02 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Keepin' on SV!

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:51 am 
WELFARIST!

Thanks, panders!

It took me (only!) two weeks of concentrated work, but I finished a version of what I've previously referred to as the "creepy morbid story" that I'm somewhat pleased with. I mean, it' s a complete story with a beginning, middle and end but I'm strangely unenthused even though when I read it, I can see that it's an all right story and for what it is, it seems to work. (This is the reconceptualized story I mention in my last post). This story was actually conceptualized three times and began last summer: first, it was going to be a speculative fiction story and I only had ideas in my mind for and couldn't even work it out in my head--that version never hit the page. Second version I tinkered with for some months, actually, on the page wrote a lot (probably around 10-15 pages of draft story material plus hours of research and about five pages of extracted research reference material--this is a period piece dealing with a specific technology so I needed to read up on it) but it shaped into nothing in that version and was getting nowhere. Third version: This is the one that I've gone with. Used the same premise/setting/concept changed the scenario slightly, brought a character who'd been dead in earlier versions back to life and it flowed and developed and went along in this version so this is the story I ultimately went with. It's a weird story, for sure, which I always like when other writers do it and I do try to write something I myself might like to read though I'm always so sick to death of anything I write by the time I finish it I can never enjoy them or see them in the detached way a reader can. But maybe if I hadn't written it, I might like to read it, sort of thing.

Anyway, I sent it to a short fiction contest but don't expect much. Two weeks is not a lot of time and it had no time to breathe so by Thursday I just had to go with whatever I had on the page and shape that into cohesiveness for the contest entry I'd decided on so not even sure it's in its final form. It's done for now, though. Once the contest results are announced, I'll look at it again and reconsider it before I send it somewhere else for consideration.

Back to the novella which is a fun story (to me--fun to work on and kind of up my strange alley). Methinks I have around 7500 words down on and another 7500 or so to go before I finish that first draft.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:00 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Oh to be as disciplined as you all are.

ANyway. The poetry book is still getting worked on. I reworked three poems today at my day job and I am moderately happier with them.

I wrote out a schedule and am trying to find a local group to keep me focused.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:06 am 
WELFARIST!

You go, kfad! I've found workshops (or local groups) a great way to keep engaged in your work and keep the writerly momentum going.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:37 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yay, kfad! Keep it up!

I'm back into writing after managing a lot of really big changes in my life (all for the better!). Finished the noir story and sent it off, but haven't heard back from them yet. Now finishing some papers before finally picking up the current big project again. (I love writing SF!)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:04 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I had a great idea for something in the middle of the night last night. And by something I think I mean it will become a short story. If work is as calm as it looks to be, I will work on it there.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:18 pm 
WELFARIST!

^Awesome!

Back to chipping away at my novella manuscript. Kind of taking it easy lately, though. I really worked hard for two weeks at the end of July to finish the short story so I'm a bit creatively exhausted right now and not up to writing new scenes so just sticking my head in what I've started with the novella and developing and tinkering with what's already there until I get my stronger energy back.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:40 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Started working on short story. Wrote a bit of a poem today.

I don't know... story writing is so much more difficult for me. I much prefer poetry. WHich is why is it good for me to work on this short story, I suppose.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:57 pm 
WELFARIST!

Yeah, I think I enjoy writing poetry best, too. But I really enjoy writing in all forms--they all present different challenges but poetry has the quickest gratification/turnaround and you stay in that exhilirated (sp?) state sort of in love with your idea, if you know what i I mean and because poetry is mostly shorter and quicker, you get to keep falling in love over and over. The idea doesn't even have to be good (I'd say 90% of mine don't even work), it's just that it's fresh and new and you're thinking of the possibilities and it's all very exciting. That's the honeymoon period of the process and poetry brings it hardest, fastest, strongest, and mostest for me.

It's definitely a different intensity like this novella I'm dipping into. I just don't feel invested--it's not that it's bad but this LONG drafting period lacks the intensity of working with poetry and I feel like I'm getting nowhere but that's not true--it's coming along--it just doesn't feel like it. With poetry, even with short stories, I'll see results quicker so the process itself feels more satisfying.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:42 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Okay I shouldn't even be here because I'm polishing a novel frantically. Have you guys heard of Pitch Wars?

http://www.brenda-drake.com/pitch-wars/

You can submit through Monday. Adult, YA, NA, various genres.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 604 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next