| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 608 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
 Post subject: Re: The Writers "Kick in the Pants" thread
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:42 pm 
WELFARIST!

appifanie wrote:
Okay I shouldn't even be here because I'm polishing a novel frantically

Woot!!!

I saw this too late for Pitch Wars but I'll check the link out anyhoo....thanks for posting.

I worked a little on the creepy morbid story on the weekend--even though I've already submitted it somewhere, I figure it's a little too unpolished in the state it was sent to register much with the editors but I did some of the polishing this weekend I'd wished I'd had a couple of more days to do before that deadline. Well, I figure I can always submit it to the next place in better shape. But I like this story and I'm pleased with it on the whole. It's the writing that's a little sloppy and unrefined in this case due to running out of time before the deadline, but as a story, for me, it doesn't present a lot of problems, thank Jeebus. You may not be able to figure out a story, but you can always fix the writing, I say--and this is the rare case in my circumstance where at least the STORY is figured out...

Also worked on the novella some. It's just over thirty pages now (needs to be about 50-75 before I'll call the first draft done) and some ideas are starting to emerge as maybe ones worth pursuing in future drafts. My problem at this point is determining the exact source of conflict and how my characters should conduct themselves in light of the story's circumstances. Anyway, it's way early on to have any solid worries and I just keep moving forward and work with what emerges and engages me on the topic for now. Anyway, it seems to be coming along. I hope I can have the first draft completed by the end of August...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:58 pm 
WELFARIST!

Still working and sticking my head into the novella material on a daily basis. It's harder to maintain my momentum in drafting periods as it's definitely less intense and my mind is a lot less engaged because it just doesn't need to be fully into it yet and I tend to put in less hours. Trying stuff on, throwing out ideas and will figure out what works later. Not sure this is how to do this, but that's how it's getting done. I have 36 pages, 12000 wds now. More than halfway through the first draft!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:15 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I have a vague story idea which I've tried a couple of times to start writing but it's just not working for me. I just can't quite get what I want to write in focus. Frustrating.

Although I suspect the threat of looming uni deadlines means that I will turn into a very prolific writer for a couple of weeks while I procrastinate so who knows, maybe I'll figure it out.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:30 am 
WELFARIST!

Quail wrote:
I just can't quite get what I want to write in focus.

I hate when that happens, though it happens to me a lot! Then other ideas just come instinctively and you don't have to 'try stuff on' to get at them. That's more the exception than the rule for me though.

I completely dislike my disgruntled customer story. I re-read it recently (there actually two versions--one cut to four pages and it's terrible--cringed my way through it. The other is eight pages and less bad but certainly not good. Not good at all.) Anyway, I realize now it would probably work better as a comedy sketch or screenplay. It's sight-gaggy. Too sight-gaggy to work on the page. It needs to be performed, not so much written. And I'm not a screenwriter, though I'd never rule that sort of thing out. To the dustbin for now! I'll retire with and maybe resurrect it another time, maybe not.

Still working on the novella. I feel like I've been doing nothing writing-wise this August but I started this manuscript on Aug 6 and now have 43 pages, 13,400 words. Not sure I'll finish by the end of the month (I feel like I've gotten to the meat of nothing in the story, but TONS will be cut and lots more to come) so maybe I'll try and stop between 20,000 and 25,000 words just to get the whole skeleton of the story sketched out very tentatively. I just thought of a good ending (provided I sort of go forward with the story as it stands now--and chances always are that will change) but if it sort of goes in the same direction it's going in this early, I think it could be an effective--and maybe even freaky--ending. Way too early to say, but it's always comforting to have a final direction to go in. That never hurts. Onward!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:50 am 
WELFARIST!

Work is super busy and will be for the next few weeks so not much writing going on here, but I will be preparing a poetry submission for this contest for The Puritan (Cdn literary magazine) which Margaret Atwood is judging! I just skimmed the guidelines and doesn't look like it's restricted to Canadian entries only but you might want to read the guidelines yourself if you wish to enter. I believe it's a $15 entry fee (again if you want to enter, double check and follow whatever guidelines). They are also giving a short fiction prize but I have poems to submit for this one. There's also prize money and awards of books involved and publication in a fine up-and-coming literary journal if you come up a winner. Here's a link if you're interested:

http://puritan-magazine.com/submissions/

Deadline September 30, 2014.

Now get writing and there's a chance Margaret Atwood might read your work!!!! *kick!*

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:59 am 
WELFARIST!

Trying to write a new poem for the M Atwood contest (the one she's judging which I posted about above). It's about finding an abandoned kitten in the park which I couldn't catch and I keep thinking of the wee boo and while there are a couple of good images/lines/maybe even stanzas type thing in what I've got so far, it's not really come all together and it's super dreary when you take it in as a whole (don't want it to be that dreary! It's kind of me making fun of myself so not supposed to be all doom-tone). But anyway, I JUST wrote it this morning so it's way too early to judge and Imma play with it for the next couple of weeks--or even just over the next couple of days or so--and see if I think I can make it work or if my energies are best spent elsewhere. Right now, I'm not too sure. But I do have one poem I like for the contest, anyhoo. I was just hoping to add another if I could get something together before the deadline. Anyway, I'll work on that for the next little bit and see what comes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:40 pm 
WELFARIST!

Still working on the poem mentioned above. I dropped the kitten parts from it, sadly, although s/he inspired the poem in the first place. My poems often work like this in that I'll write a poem and it'll have two major components to it and first I try to meld them together because they are ideas that are together in my mind but then as I clarify things and develop stuff I start letting them duke it out on the page and it becomes clear that one idea is weaker than the other or they should be pursued as two separate poems because they start to diverge so, sadly, the kitten angle lost the battle this round. That's not how I wanted it though! You really have to go with what works best and the competing idea (trees in this case) was stronger so now I've crystallized that and have a good ending now just time to work the poem to a lyrical finish. I still think of you all the time little kitty, even though you lost this particular poetic battle!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:36 pm 
WELFARIST!

So this is still a poetry month for me. Which makes me happy! Love writing poems.

The not-kitten one is done - although I haven't typed up the final version yet, I'm preeetty sure I'm done tinkering with it in my notebook. Kind of a serious poem but it ties up thematically and I feel good about its chances of seeing print somewhere (I hope anyway, I should say).

Got a new long, I suppose, sort of satrical poem on the go now. It first clocked in around five or six pages (handwritten, have no idea typed--maybe four? But I haven't typed it up yet). Just having fun with pop celebrity fifteen-minutes culture type verse. I've brought it down to around three pages (needs to be around three pages so I can pair it with the not-kitten one. The contest I have in mind will consider four pages of poetry, max) so anyway, I spent many hours today paring it down and focusing it and I think I've worked the main ideas out now I have to woik it, like get all the language and images and the more intricate organizing and finer detailing done. Lots of work put into it today, anyway. Will probably work on it more over the weekend as it needs time because it's longish and I'm running out of days before the end of September. Onward!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 608 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25