| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 826 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Writers "Kick in the Pants" thread
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:15 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I need like 42,000 kicks in the pants. I was doing really well with Nanowrimo for the first week and I just fell off the wagon HARD. ):

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:23 pm 
Stepford Vegan

I have never posted in this thread but I am going through it. I am working on my latest zine and feel a slump. My last zine was done in like 2 weeks and I could have went on. This one is just like not coming together. Maybe it is because of the theme I chose cats, sex rock n roll to tie in with the evil #13 for the issue. I reached out to some people for interviews - did not work out. I am moving on though.

I am having a hard time formatting my Trader Joe's cookzine. Trying to place food into categories for me is hard. To me sometimes things seen as lunch or a snack get rounded up a plumped with other things to make it a dinner time meal. I am also trying to figure out a cover. Ugh.

Zine stupors suck!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:20 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

oddspongeout wrote:
I need like 42,000 kicks in the pants. I was doing really well with Nanowrimo for the first week and I just fell off the wagon HARD. ):

42,000 kicks. Get back on that wagon! Nano's hard but you can do it!!!!

missmuffcake wrote:
I have never posted in this thread but I am going through it. I am working on my latest zine and feel a slump. My last zine was done in like 2 weeks and I could have went on. This one is just like not coming together. Maybe it is because of the theme I chose cats, sex rock n roll to tie in with the evil #13 for the issue. I reached out to some people for interviews - did not work out. I am moving on though.

I am having a hard time formatting my Trader Joe's cookzine. Trying to place food into categories for me is hard. To me sometimes things seen as lunch or a snack get rounded up a plumped with other things to make it a dinner time meal. I am also trying to figure out a cover. Ugh.

Zine stupors suck!

I feel like evil #13 should be the most fun! Some days I get mental/motivation blocks and I just do whatever I feel like on those days and kind of forget about concept or the big picture and go where my mind and inclinations creatively take me. Even if I'm still feeling 'meh' after that,I now the juices will come back, it's just a question of time. I would just take the pressure of whatever deadlines and the pressure to 'finish' stuff off of yourself if that's maybe what's creatively blocking you from going forward. Kicking you out of your zine stupor!!

<3 <3 <3 to you both!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:46 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I got a freelance writing job as a regular contributor to an online magazine! It's very exciting...but my confidence is low and I'm having hardcore Imposter Syndrome :/ It's for people in LDRs and I'm kinda struggling between making my articles entertaining (some sound like research projects for school) and justifying that what I'm writing about has anything to do with LDRs (i.e. I'm trying to write on on why knitting and crocheting is such a great hobby for people in LDRs).

The Themysciran - my geek blog

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:28 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Yay, Shy Mox!!!! That is very exciting! I know you can write something awesome because, after all, you got the job! So don't worry about imposter syndrome. We're all imposters, we're all f'realz. Writers write and that's pretty much the beginning and end of it. You can do it!!!! I think your topic (if LDR stands for long distance relationships- had to google) is very interesting and I haven't looked into it much myself in terms of articles, commisseration or advice, but I imagine there is certainly stuff you can add to whatever's out there that's all your own. Just express yourself naturally and forget about your audience, don't think about who will be reading it. Write what you think you'd like to read yourself. You can do it!!!<3 <3 <3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:47 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

seitanicverses wrote:
42,000 kicks. Get back on that wagon! Nano's hard but you can do it!!!!

<3 <3 <3 to you both!!!

hahahaha things got SO MUCH WORSE and so did my Nano count. I'm just happy I've done better than in previous years, really. My life is too blah right now to even begin to catch up!
Thank you though!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:16 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

You're welcome!

Well, I haven't Nano'd AT ALL. THough I'm not beating myself up about it because I've carried on working but just on other stuff.

The long "pop culture" poem I wrote about somewheres upthread has been broken into two poems which are pretty much complete.

The creepy morbid story is still going but I feel as good as I can about it. I'm sending it out at the end of the month, just to give me some incentives to finalize the new scenes and polish it off and forget about it for a while until it comes back with the anticipated rejection slip! Then I will look at it again and see what more can be done. I think it's coming to a close though, as an idea and it's gonna have to be loved for what it is or passed over It's almost time to move on with that one. Not quite yet, but soon...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:44 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've dusted off my second novel project. Looking forward to getting a lot of writing done this weekend. The weather forecast is "get ready to freeze your asparagus off"!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:33 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I need some kicks. I can't seem to get myself to write more than a few hundred words a day at the moment.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:45 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Phoenix wrote:
I've dusted off my second novel project. Looking forward to getting a lot of writing done this weekend. The weather forecast is "get ready to freeze your asparagus off"!

Yay! I'm thinking of my novel lately too. Just thinking about it though, not doing anything, like dusting it off yet. Maybe in the New Year, I'll have a looksee!

Quail wrote:
I need some kicks. I can't seem to get myself to write more than a few hundred words a day at the moment.
Kickity kick! I think a few hundred words a day is pretty good. I think a good and reasonable output for a steady finish for an eventual novel would be in the arena of 1000 words a day, if you can manage that.

I've been working like crazy lately. Monday and Tuesday somewhere in five to seven hours each of those days to finalize the latest version of the creepy morbid story. I'm sending it off at the end of this week so it's crunch time to finalize this latest version. At this point, I am pleased with it. I'll see if that opinion holds up in a month or so.

Also finished the "pop culture" poems. There came out to be two. I like them both alright, I think. One is solid throughout with a slightly weak (though I think it works) finish and the other is weaker in the preceding stanzas (but good enough for my standards at the mo) with a strong finish. So dere's dat.

Just this morning, I was sifting through old stories to see what I could resurrect and one that I really thought was done and over and dead I reworked a bit this morning and wrote a new ending that I like (and it's a bit of a twist/surprise and those are the best kind) so I'm pleased with it and I think I'll work with it for a while. It's not a serious story, just a lark, but I'll try and find a ghost story anthology or spooky theme call somewheres for it once I polish it off a bit. The original version was one of those hot disasters filled with good ideas and interesting characters that weren't coalescing so I'm glad I've found a way to make use of them.

Keep working, everyone!!! <3 <3 <3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:46 am 

Yesterday I managed my target of 1000 words, hooray! Now I just need to keep it up.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:21 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

^Yay! Yes, keep it up!

I think I'm pretty well finished the creepy morbid story. Still some small edits to type up. I tried changing the ending (I think it may be a bit...I dunno, melodramatic? It is a love story and I don't usually write love type stories) but changing the ending didn't help and I switched it back to the ending that I always wanted (I want the story to end on the word "resurrected":- it's just one of those key words that must be the last word in my conception of it). Anyway, when I read it through I feel it's done for what it's worth. I worked mighty hard on it and it all comes together and it's tight and clean--whether it's likeable for a reader to read is another matter but the opinions of others on what I do is out of my hands but as a writer, I feel done with it. The idea isn't switching anything on in me anymore.

Moved on to a story that I worked on spring 2013 and thought was okay then. It wasn't, so I split the ideas into another story and that one's fine and I'm circulating it and this one is just another offshot from the original 2013 idea. Overlapping themes and ideas but not necessarily repetitive (to me, anyway). Anyway, these two stories coming from the spring 2013 idea are sort of larks--fun and nothing serious. I like the ending of the new one I've written because it's a-ha! and a bit of a thinker's ending and because so much back work has gone into it from spring 2013, it's alraedy mostly written in terms of story, characters, scenario, it just needed organization, trimming and some expansions and pacing plotting mechanics kind of work.

I still want to work on my novella (not to mention novel!). But I have the beginnings of yet ANOTHER short story brewing in me that I think needs to be dealt with sooner rather than later. So, goodbye probably another few weeks or months or however long it takes while I thrash this latest new idea out and wrestle with it on the page to get it somehow to my liking.... Sometimes just looking ahead at the outset of starting a new project completely exhausts me because I know what I'm getting myself into and the demands I'm going to make on myself to get it there...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:58 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Argh, had some rejections lately so been working today on sending out batches of poetry to a couple of places I haven't sent to in ages (that have never accepted me, though). I've had no acceptances this year! My last acceptance (creative non-fiction piece) was December 2013 which came out in spring of 2014. I would like one acceptance this year but it likely won't happen now as most places shut down for Christmas. Well, I won't dwell on it too much because reviewing my poems as I was preparing more submissions, I feel like I've been writing better poetry than ever this year but my prose is still a disappointment to me. The quality of the writing is fine but I'm not realizing my ideas on the page the way I want to. Have to fix that. Forging ahead, nevertheless. The creepy morbid story came out all right and it actually IS what I always conceptualized for it but on the page it's far from perfect and I believe editors will keep nixing it for it's flaws but still, it's a definite step forward for me whatever the outcome with it. I still feel like I can hard-work my way to pleasing results somehow. Just keep working and hoping the next one will come out better. Onward!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:57 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

How are the PPKs fellow writers doing?

I've been working on my novella draft lately. Don't know what to make of it yet as a project, but keep writing scenes on the theme so...will cobble something together from that eventually is the plan. I don't have an outline or anything, which is probably a terrible way to work with a longer and more ambitious project, but the thing is words are getting on the page and it's moving forward and whatever I do that keeps a project moving forward and gets words onto the page or screen is what works in my experience. Think it's around 56 pages now. I've been doing lots of yoga and meditation lately and it seems to be helping me sustain the longer-haul discipline that a longer project demands, at least for now. Hope it keeps up!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:07 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Still writing! I can't seem to write as many articles as I want to, and I'm just kinda handing in the minimum or slightly over the minimum. My last few articles seem to have been fairly popular, but the editor I send them too hasn't given me any feedback. It is a little discouraging.

Other than that, I'm trying to stay in the habit of blogging, and I got a few books to help improve my writing (Writing Tools by Roy Peter Clark and The Deluxe Transitive Vampire by Karen Elizabeth Gordon) and it has been helping me keep in practice at least. Now that I don't have any school papers to write I fear if I don't write a lot, I'll lose all the skills I gained.

The Themysciran - my geek blog

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:26 pm 
Grandfathered In

It's been about a year and a half since I've been in this thread?

In that time, my white whale has been swimming around, just out of reach. (Not vegan? )I still think about it every day, but I'm doing little or no writing.

I've written 3 or 4 short nonfiction books in that time (and edited a couple dozen novels), but that was all work-for-hire, and I don't count it. Those books were strictly business. They just aren't the same as writing fiction. Different process, different motivation, different everything.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:45 am 

I've nearly finished the novella thing I've been writing, hooray! I'm just starting to wrap up all the loose ends so it should be done soon. It feels good for the end to be in sight.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:10 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Shy Mox wrote:
Still writing! I can't seem to write as many articles as I want to, and I'm just kinda handing in the minimum or slightly over the minimum. My last few articles seem to have been fairly popular, but the editor I send them too hasn't given me any feedback. It is a little discouraging.

Other than that, I'm trying to stay in the habit of blogging, and I got a few books to help improve my writing (Writing Tools by Roy Peter Clark and The Deluxe Transitive Vampire by Karen Elizabeth Gordon) and it has been helping me keep in practice at least. Now that I don't have any school papers to write I fear if I don't write a lot, I'll lose all the skills I gained.

My nephew has this problem with his editor. He's what I think is called a web curator where he reads up on the daily news and writes captions/summarizes/does creative takes for a local Toronto newsy website. His pieces are always popular (i.e., in terms of hits, shares, and whatnot) but he doesn't get a lot of feedback from his boss and I think this discourages him. I don't think you lose your writerly skills if you take time off, my experience is that they have to be warmed up again though but usually you can pick up right where you left off. Sort of like riding a bike!

Footie, I'm glad to hear you're thinking about things and keeping your ideas alive. I find every idea is out of reach at first and sometimes, it stays that way and sometimes it morphs into something entirely different than what's expected which is sometimes better and sometimes worse but it's worth working it all out to see what will happen.

Yay Quail!!! Quite an accomplishment!!! I can't wait to start feeling that things are coming together in my own longer piece. I'm still a ways off from that feeling but day by day, getting there...

I'm still working on my novella. It's 59 pages now (though I'm working still at the beginning section) but new ideas, new approaches are coming to me every day. Ideas are developing and fleshing out and I'm just trying to chip away at it every day. Sometimes I miss the quicker gratification of writing a poem or short story which I can do (usually) in a shorter amount of time but not enough to turn away from my longer idea yet. Actually, I think the ideas here represent my 2011 novel ideas in a more manageable form--the novel was about clones and...lol...too many characters it was hard to figure out how to get them all in hand. The novella is not about clones but still, it's got many of the same ideas and themes just with a new story and set up. It's like F.Scott Fitz said that a writer really only has one or two ideas in their lifetime that they keep spinning out and doing variations on (FSF said it much more eloquently, of course, than that) <3.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:42 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I have a major plot twist coming up AND I'M TOO AFRAID TO WRITE.
On the other hand I have my upcoming media course pretty much planned out, so yay.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:19 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Revising! YA novel.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:43 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Phoenix wrote:
I have a major plot twist coming up AND I'M TOO AFRAID TO WRITE.

Ugh, I know that feeling. Keep putting it off, putting it off. No don't fall down that rabbit hole...start free association mindless typing if you must--just to break the blank page intimidation and get something going! <3 I do try and break off when I have something humming along so I've got a running start for the next day, but that comes with its own pitfalls in that when you break for the day in the midst of a brainstorm you often lose the tone or mood you wrote with yesterday and have to summon up whatever emotion you had to match earlier, and sometimes, you're not feeling it again. Makes me sympathize with actors, actually. Argh. Writing's a puzzle to bewitch and befuzzle.

Phoenix wrote:
On the other hand I have my upcoming media course pretty much planned out, so yay.

I give you a pass for getting something done.

appifanie wrote:
Revising! YA novel.

Yay!!!! So exciting! Hope it's going well.

Well I don't think I've written since Thursday so maybe I should stop posting and get some writing time in before bed. Things aren't intense enough to keep awake at night in my story, it's still early in the process and so doesn't work me up too much. Not married to anything yet, always tinkering with it, but I obviously want to get at something in its general idea as I keep trying longer stuff in this vein.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:41 am 

So, 2 weeks later and I'm still working on the novella. The loose ends are taking longer to tie up than I'd hoped, boo. I'm still confident it will be ready for editing within a couple of weeks though, and I've already identified a couple of things I need to edit out/rewrite. Although it's primarily a romance, there are loads of other things I could choose to play up or play down within the story and I need to get a good balance.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:09 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Quail wrote:
So, 2 weeks later and I'm still working on the novella. The loose ends are taking longer to tie up than I'd hoped, boo. I'm still confident it will be ready for editing within a couple of weeks though, and I've already identified a couple of things I need to edit out/rewrite. Although it's primarily a romance, there are loads of other things I could choose to play up or play down within the story and I need to get a good balance.

I always underestimate the time I'll spend in both cooking and writing--but especially writing.

I used to have this quote as my scrolling marquee/screensaver on my old laptop for years:

Quote:
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. ~ Oscar Wilde

Story of my life.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:55 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Okay, I need to log off and get to my writing as I haven't put the time yet in today but...I've found a structure and point of view for the story that I think I can work with (what I was waiting for and I've been tinkering with ideas for a while). I need to write more scenes with this new point of view and see if it allows me enough breadth of narrative, because it might be restrictive. But when I think of the flow of the story using it, I can see it working and solving a lot of organization problems for me. I think I'm going to try and work with it and see if I can use it. When I thought of it it was like a light switching on and I felt relieved, as if now I had something that could finally help me snap things into place. And I need a structure or framework to hang the whole thing on or this narrative is just chaos for me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:51 am 

I like that quote seitanicverses :D hope the new structure works well for you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 826 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 34  Next