| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed May 04, 2016 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game of Thrones - Season 6
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:07 am 
WRETCHED

So this is the first time I've actually been caught up on a show (I admit I called my mom at 9pm last night because I needed to reactivate HBOGO on my tv... yes I am too cheap to pay for it myself)

I still can't believe Jon is still dead.

Post subject: Re: Game of Thrones - Season 6
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:37 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I was expecting a Jon Snow revival to end the episode, but now I'm just worried about how long they'll string it out. (That's not a spoiler, I'm just assuming there's no way someone who is this important to the plot is done at this point.)

I really wanted it to be great, but...meh. Before we watched, we counted how many different characters/plots we have to check in with. I think trying to fit so many into one episode was a mistake, because we were just rushing around and progressing each story by millimetres, rather than properly getting into anything.

Some things I did not care for:
- Ramsay grieving for his dead plaything. I just don't believe he cares about anyone but himself.
- Roose telling Ramsay off for "playing his games" with Sansa. Maybe you should have intervened a bit sooner?
- The burning of Dany's ships. I was counting on them! I thought at the end of the season we might see Dany finally set sail for Westeros.
- Dorne. Killing off the one decent actor/character in that storyline? Nooo! Ruining Ellaria from the books? Nooo! Also, how did Spear and Whip Sandsnakes get onto the boat with Trystane? Why didn't Jaime bring Trystane to the cells/keep him as a prisoner?
- Arya's plot. Can we just fast forward to the part where she is amazing at blind battling?

Some things I did like:
- Davos! Davos for the Iron Throne!
- Sansa and Brienne, at last. Also, I'm happy Theon is making steps. I think his character arc has been fascinating, and my feelings about him have completely changed, largely due to the actor doing such an amazing job.
- The dialogue between the Dothraki about the top five best things in life.
- Ghost!
- Lena Headey is great. She makes me feel sorry for Cersei even when in the books I really, really don't.
- We still haven't seen Stannis' body, so he's definitely still alive...right?

I didn't know what conclusions we were supposed to make about the ending. Does Melisandre do that every night? Is it a sign that's she losing faith/giving up? Is it a way of transferring some of her life force (?) to Jon?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:17 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Lee and I cracked up when Melisandre stripped off because we both thought she was looking in the mirror thinking "Have my boobs lost their mojo?"

Mat.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:59 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I agree with pretty much everything you said above, jennyc. Especially Dorne! Why they had to just stamp all over my favourite subplot in the books is beyond me!

jennyc wrote:
I didn't know what conclusions we were supposed to make about the ending. Does Melisandre do that every night? Is it a sign that's she losing faith/giving up? Is it a way of transferring some of her life force (?) to Jon?

My impression was that this is how she really looks and the necklace is involved in some kind of magic which gives her the appearance of a younger, beautiful woman.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:25 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I'm pretty sure she's always seen with the necklace (even when she is otherwise naked) so I assumed that.

I still think she'll get over her crisis of confidence and revive Jon Snow. I mean, he must be Azor Ahai reborn. Surely.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:34 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Yes!!!

Now I really just want Kit Harrington to do a Jon Snow version of "Something to Sing About" from the Buffy episode "Once More With Feeling"

"There was no pain, no fear, no doubt, till they put me out, of heaven. So that's my refrain, I live in Hell 'Cuz I've been expelled from heaven, I think I was in Heaven. So give me something to sing about!"

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:30 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I have this ridiculous theory that maybe he's in his direwolf and vice versa. I mean....we haven't heard him TALK yet. Anything is possible.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:34 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

TomeOrnottome wrote:
Yes!!!

Now I really just want Kit Harrington to do a Jon Snow version of "Something to Sing About" from the Buffy episode "Once More With Feeling"

"There was no pain, no fear, no doubt, till they put me out, of heaven. So that's my refrain, I live in Hell 'Cuz I've been expelled from heaven, I think I was in Heaven. So give me something to sing about!"

YES.

I'm happy that they didn't string it out any longer. In that moment when Ghost opened his eyes I feared we were getting Jon-in-Ghost instead, which I have seen floated as possibility. That made me extra glad when Jon woke up too. I enjoyed Melisandre's dishevelled hair spelling it out for us that she was off her game. And I loved Tormund and co arriving. In the early seasons I thought the Wall was the most boring storyline, but now it has me totally hooked.

I'm kind of sad about Roose. Obviously Ramsay was going to kill him at some point, but I just wish he'd stuck it out a bit longer because I love the dynamic between those two, and I love Roose's silky smooth voice. I wish we hadn't seen poor Walda and the baby being led to their deaths (but then again, I insist that any off-screen death didn't happen (see you soon, Stannis!), so maybe it is worthwhile sometimes).

Not looking forward to seeing more Greyjoys, but I'm curious about what Theon's going to do. I'm not too disappointed that he won't be going to the Wall with Sansa and Brienne. I loved their catch up about Arya. And are we on course for an actual Stark-kids-reunion with Sansa and Jon? I can't remember them ever having a scene together, but still.

Also, Hodor!

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:46 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I think Roose should have killed Ramsey, what an oversight on his part! You raise a psychopath, he'll act like a psychopath that kills you when it can! Ugh!

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:44 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

TomeOrnottome wrote:
I think Roose should have killed Ramsey, what an oversight on his part! You raise a psychopath, he'll act like a psychopath that kills you when it can! Ugh!

I'm surprised we didn't see more of an inkling from Roose that this might happen. I wonder if it will be different in the books.

I think the show will feel the absence of Roose. I like those calm, calculating villains (like Tywin, who I think brought a lot of direction to the Lannisters), and I think they are a nice balance to the crazy, impulsive Joffrey and Ramsay types. I can never wait for the latter type to get their comeuppance, but with Tywin and Roose I just wanted them to stick around because they're so good at being bad.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:16 am 
WRETCHED

I avoided this thread yesterday but Jon!! I was surprised they didn't do it in the first episode, can't wait to see what happens next week. Also, it seems like Arya was let off lightly. And letting go of the dragons, I knew Tyrion wasn't going to be eaten but I was scared for him.