| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Okay, Grey's Anatomy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:02 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

They're doing a musical??? What the hell!? My favorite bad show doing my least favorite thing in the world? Bah!

Post subject: Re: Okay, Grey's Anatomy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:19 am 
Level 7 Vegan

What? Not even bad-in-an-awesome kind way. I did love it when scrubs did a musical, but greys is not a dramady!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:00 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Yeah, but also, and more importantly, I hate musicals!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:18 am 
Nailed to the V

And it looks like they're singing modern pop songs, like karaoke.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:57 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

ahhahhaahahah. what the hell?!!! i haven't watched in a few seasons, but i feel like the show totally jumped the shark years ago. what do you call it when a show gets even more insane?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:53 am 
So Totally Yiffy

I thought they were just having the actors sing the music used in previous episodes to play in the background of the regular episode? I hope it's not a musical!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:56 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I've heard about this, and I think I just tried to pretend it wouldn't happen. I'm several episodes behind this season. I wish I could quit, but one day off from work, I get caught up, and I just get sucked back in. I'm pretty sure Bailey is the only character who has her own writer.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:04 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

its because Chandra loves buffy/joss whedon. apparently she made the cast do a live mini version for studio heads for them to pass off on it. i dunno, i normally hate it but it could be ok.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:26 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I love musicals, but I agree that this seems like a weird choice for Grey's Anatomy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:26 pm 
Semen Strong

Its also weird to pair it with Callie and Arizona's car accident.

It just reminds me of Scrubs - where a patient came in who heard everything in song...

Also, I hate Miranda Bailey and Hot!Male!Nurse. Their whole conversation about how she was the man at the hospital because she was the doctor but he was the man outside the hospital (obvious subtext In Bed). BARF. What happened to Bailey? And where is her baby?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:59 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

IJDI, I felt like Grey's got really shitty a couple years ago, and then were better last season. Last season's finale was crazy and intense and nuts, and the cast seemed to have moved back to a strong ensemble, after some flux and crappy characters coming and going.

I still enjoy the show (even though I know how dumb it is), but I am not looking forward to the musical episode. So annoying!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:01 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

jordanpattern wrote:
I hate musicals!

What? Noooooooooooooooooooo!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:14 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Heh, this is exactly the kind of thing that might get me to watch that show.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:17 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

OK, so last week I was super tired and didn't want to leave my house and I got all caught up on Grey's Anatomy (now I am super bummed we didn't talk about this at breakfast). ANYWAY I heard about the musical a couple weeks ago and wanted to cry. Now I hate Glee even more, everyone is doing forking musicals because of that stupid show. I hate musicals.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:33 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

vijita wrote:
Heh, this is exactly the kind of thing that might get me to watch that show.

I haven't watched in a few years, but I might be just curious enough to watch this..

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:35 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

littlebear wrote:
Now I hate Glee even more, everyone is doing forking musicals because of that stupid show.

I'm gonna disagree with you on Glee's influence. Shows have been doing musicals forever. I actually think a musical show is a pretty common thing to do. I LOVE musicals but only if they make sense in a show's reality. House did something similar (though not full on musical, just a genre show that featured music) a few weeks ago and it made me want to die. The idea of a Grey's Anatomy musical is pretty laughable.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:35 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

littlebear wrote:
Now I hate Glee even more, everyone is doing forking musicals because of that stupid show.

I'm gonna disagree with you on Glee's influence. Shows have been doing musicals forever. I actually think a musical show is a pretty common thing to do and can reveal how unoriginal a show's writers are. I LOVE musicals but only if they make sense in a show's reality. House did something similar (though not full on musical, just a genre show that featured music) a few weeks ago and it made me want to die. The idea of a Grey's Anatomy musical is pretty laughable.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:51 pm 
Semen Strong

The Scrubs musical worked, but only because that whole show was so tongue in cheek. Also their songs were original and it seems like GA is going to have the characters sing the songs that have been part of the show, not original numbers.

I will watch, but I think its going to suck. I'd rather have another killingspree.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:14 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

littlebear wrote:
OK, so last week I was super tired and didn't want to leave my house and I got all caught up on Grey's Anatomy (now I am super bummed we didn't talk about this at breakfast). ANYWAY I heard about the musical a couple weeks ago and wanted to cry. Now I hate Glee even more, everyone is doing forking musicals because of that stupid show. I hate musicals.

How have we not bonded about this before???!!!

Anyway, we will have to have a post-musical date to talk smack.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:54 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

TV shows have been doing musical episodes for years. The thing is, with a show like Buffy or Scrubs, you can find a way to make the musical fit the internal logic of the show. In Buffy, a demon cast a spell that turned the world into a musical (also, that episode shows all other TV shows how musicals are done; it's not a one-off, it establishes several threads that last the rest of the season AND it uses a trope found in many, many musicals: people sing what they can't say). In Scrubs, you have a crazy patient that perceives the world as a musical. Grey's hasn't *earned* the ability to be experimental in terms of genre/POV.

Granted, I stopped watching the show years ago, so maybe they've been doing genre-bending experimental television since then, and I'm just unaware. I doubt it, though.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:22 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

** SPOILERS **

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I have been following this show on hulu.com. The episode I watched last night ended with the lesbian couple getting into a car accident. Am I correct in assuming that was an end of season cliff hanger? If so, when does the next season start?

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:35 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Well I'll have to watch this. I quit watching right before the shooting but I love me some musicals. Plus, Sara Ramirez singing, fork YEAH.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:18 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

beforewisdom wrote:
** SPOILERS **

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I have been following this show on hulu.com. The episode I watched last night ended with the lesbian couple getting into a car accident. Am I correct in assuming that was an end of season cliff hanger? If so, when does the next season start?

Thanks in advance

the car accident paves the way for the musical episode we're all discussing. so it should be on next week. definitely not the end of the season, that happens in may.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:17 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

rocklobster wrote:
beforewisdom wrote:
** SPOILERS **

Thanks in advance

the car accident paves the way for the musical episode we're all discussing. so it should be on next week. definitely not the end of the season, that happens in may.

It is hard to tell since they go weeks between episodes. What is this about a musical episode?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:00 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

mixmaster_mo wrote:
littlebear wrote:

I'm gonna disagree with you on Glee's influence. Shows have been doing musicals forever. I actually think a musical show is a pretty common thing to do and can reveal how unoriginal a show's writers are. I LOVE musicals but only if they make sense in a show's reality. House did something similar (though not full on musical, just a genre show that featured music) a few weeks ago and it made me want to die. The idea of a Grey's Anatomy musical is pretty laughable.

Made you want to die in the bad way because you hated it? Or in the good way because it was sublime and you could die happy?

I agree, lots of shows have done musicals before Glee. And Buffy totally set the bar for awesomeness.

I hadn't watched Grey's for a while and came back to it this season only to find that Callie, who I used to love, I now loathe, Meredith and Derek and Cristina don't get nearly enough screentime because it's sacrificed to that annoying April girl and that idiot Avery; apparently Bailey has lost most of her sense of self because EW to that whole 'man of he hospital man out of the hospital' diatribe... but I will keep watching. For some reason.