| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Music that won't get me fired!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:19 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i think that letting them do it is great. follow through on your bieber threat and when everyone is looking at each other in horror, they'll realize you're serious. god willing some brave soul decides to make the playlist instead.
i hadn't realized that kids were able to listen to headphones (i'm assuming it's all headphones, not for others to hear) all day- it does make sense that they perform better but it is just so alien to how i ran my classroom.... [i taught when dinosaurs roamed the earth, so music had to be communal or nothing].
seriously, if they want to hear something, have them make their playlist! one day can be bieber, then you can say "tomorrow, unless i have a better suggestion, is madonna. class dismissed". hopefully someone steps up to the plate.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:43 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Definitely follow through with your threat to make them know that you're serious. I don't have any idea what they'd listen to. Personally I've been liking this album by Patenbrigade: Wolff as background music lately, it's instrumental which I often find less distracting but that depends on what I'm doing.

ETA: Actually it isn't entirely instrumental, I just remembered that it has at least one song featuring dialogue from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Last edited by fruitbat on Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:49 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm still just amazed that the school lets them have headphones or music during class at all. I may be totally making this up, but I don't think research is behind general music facilitating learning. I wish I could remember which psych class that thought came from so that I could track it down.

I'm obviously old-fashioned and mean, but I think learning to live with and value silence is helpful.

And of course, that was the most unhelpful answer, ever...play the Beatles? Who *really* hates them?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:32 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

quite a few of my high school teachers in the second half of the 90s played music while we were doing classwork. they usually let the students make suggestions or submit a CD to put on (at their discretion), though the default was generally an alternative rock sampler. at one after-school computer lab somebody played a collection of Motown hits, which everybody seemed to enjoy.

obviously things have changed since then, but i think not-too-cheesy 60s music is still pretty palatable for most tastes. if it were my class, i'd give Boards of Canada a go.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:37 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I love the themed playlist idea. I do this sort of thing all the time, along with several friends.

For weather related, you've got:

Martha and the Vandellas - (Love Is Like a) Heat Wave
Bonnie Pink - It's Gonna Rain
Baby, It's Cold Outside covered by a few thousand performers
Bill Withers - Ain't No Sunshine
Won Fu - Xiǎochūn rì hé (Indian Summer)
Sentimental Bus - Sunny Day Sunday
The Cascades - Rhythm of the Rain
Puffy - Hurricane
JinnyOops! - Raimei shocking (Thunder shocking)
Cocco - Hi no Teri Nagara Ame no Furu (Rain Falling While the Sun Shines)
Jónsi - Tornado

Just to name a few. Of course, you could always make it a project for the class.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:57 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

bekki wrote:
I'm still just amazed that the school lets them have headphones or music during class at all. I may be totally making this up, but I don't think research is behind general music facilitating learning. I wish I could remember which psych class that thought came from so that I could track it down.

I'm obviously old-fashioned and mean, but I think learning to live with and value silence is helpful.

And of course, that was the most unhelpful answer, ever...play the Beatles? Who *really* hates them?

There is research both ways, depending where you look in the educational literature.

When the school is saying "hey! Up to you teachers!" and 80% of the teachers allow it, fighting that battle becomes a big issue. I would rather work with it and keep the classroom climate positive.

I agree that valuing silence is helpful, but these kids are 18 and have gone through years like this. My own anecdata shows that almost all of my students have increased focus with music. They are also much more likely to try something challenging instead of staring at the floor or sleeping (my two biggest behavioral issues). I'm not talking about loud volume here--it does t at all interfere with my walking around and quietly helping students.

Really though, I just wanted a few suggestions! Anything they give me, I'll have to set aside to listen to and vet for appropriateness. Half the new stuff has explicit labels on it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:57 pm 
Chip Strong

Can you stream Spotify? I'll send you a link to my friend's yacht rock and other processed cheese product playlist and you can just put your foot down on the headphones and torment them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:13 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

bekki wrote:

Um, that would be me. Also, play Bill Withers Ain't No Sunshine and I will leave the room without fail.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:25 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Imitation Of Chris wrote:
Can you stream Spotify? I'll send you a link to my friend's yacht rock and other processed cheese product playlist and you can just put your foot down on the headphones and torment them.

I can until IT yells at me. They periodically do this when bandwidth speed falls below the speed of molasses ooze. Personally, I think they would be better off not letting kids use unregistered devices.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:32 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

So, I looked through our iTunes to see what fun appropriate music (preferably newer) unfortunately, most of the newer music we have is politically themed rap, which almost certainly won't work.
But here are some artists I found who at least have a few pg songs:
Flobots (my partner's! Not mine! I swear!)
Dressy Bessy (why yes, we are heavy in the Denver-based bands. Also, they have good music for fall)
Kimya Dawson
They Might be Giants (they even have science themed songs!)
MIA (listen to songs carefully first)
Gogol Bordello (see above)
Defiance Ohio (so posi!! Only like a fewish years outdated!)
James Brown (who doesn't love James Brown?)
White Stripes
Violent Femmes
Weezer
Various reggae (everyone likes reggae, somewhere deep down)
The Clash
Talking heads
So most of this is really outdated and now I feel old and very uncool. Probably they will hate all these suggestions. Sorry. I am always surprised by the extent to which folks like classic rock. I'm not a big fan, but when we ask people at the bike shop what they want to listen to, they often choose classic rock. I dunno.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:50 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Angus and Julia Stone
Bon Iver
The Civil Wars
Danny Elfman
The Dead Weather/The Raconteurs/The White Stripes (most everything of Jack White's is plenty appropriate)
Death Cab for Cutie
The Dodos
Feist
The Lumineers
Mumford & Sons
Punch Brothers
Sarah Slean
Andrew Bird
Arctic Monkeys
Arcade Fire
She & Him
The Swell Season
(and I know you said no hip hop, but) Blue Scholars (is actually really calm and good)

These are all fairly well known to very popular bands currently, and some of these I bet you could find used CDs for really cheap. The Civil Wars have their live album as a free download on their website, and it's quite good quality.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:50 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

fruitbat wrote:
bekki wrote:

Um, that would be me. Also, play Bill Withers Ain't No Sunshine and I will leave the room without fail.

(I don't like The Beatles either.)

Oh! And people by and large say classic rock because very few people will tease them or complain about it. Everybody knows the lyrics to We Will Rock You, et al.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:10 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

missdelaney wrote:
Angus and Julia Stone
Bon Iver
The Civil Wars
Danny Elfman
The Dead Weather/The Raconteurs/The White Stripes (most everything of Jack White's is plenty appropriate)
Death Cab for Cutie
The Dodos
Feist
The Lumineers
Mumford & Sons
Punch Brothers
Sarah Slean
Andrew Bird
Arctic Monkeys
Arcade Fire
She & Him
The Swell Season
(and I know you said no hip hop, but) Blue Scholars (is actually really calm and good)

These are all fairly well known to very popular bands currently, and some of these I bet you could find used CDs for really cheap. The Civil Wars have their live album as a free download on their website, and it's quite good quality.

Thanks. I have quite a bit of that stuff already.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:23 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Perused my classical music collection- things they may like:
Aaron Copland (Rodeo)
Brahms
Dvorak
Gershwin (definitely worth a shot, in my opinion!)
John Williams scores
Phillip Glass
Sibelius
Rodrigo (Concierto de Aranjuez)
Barber
Debussy
Faure
This is all stuff with a little more feeling than Mozart!

There are also string quartet arrangements of various popular songs. Seriously, everything from the Foo Fighters and Coldplay to Lady Gaga to U2 and the Beatles and the Rolling Stones and Nirvana. This might be helpful for those songs that have inappropriate lyrics. Most of them are by the Vitamin String Quartet, and Aston.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:37 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Balls. I had typed a long list of artists and then I erased it accidentally by hitting "edit" on the post instead of "reply" to add another post. Balls. It was really long!

I'll re-type it later. As much as I can remember.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:15 am 
Shopped till she dropped

I've been in to some more ambient stuff lately, especially when trying to study. So, here's what's floating around my Pandora lately, as well as some similar stuff.

Phantogram
The XX
RJD2
Lykke Li
The Knife
Ratatat
The Submarines
Neon Indian
Washed Out
Twin Shadow
M83
Massive Attack
Portishead

I also really like the idea of old R&B/Soul/Blues. These are some more obvious artists to check out, but...
Otis Redding
Sam Cooke
Nina Simone
Bill Withers
Al Green
Aretha Franklin
Wilson Pickett
Billy Holiday
Etta James
John Lee Hooker
Robert Johnson

Dang. Now that I wrote out that list, it's all I want to listen too. But my Phantogram Pandora station is so good! Especially after I filtered out all of the dubstep. Barf.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:04 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm not sure that I have any brilliant suggestions for you. But maybe ask them what radio stations they listen to and then see what those stations are playing. But I'm sure most of what is current won't be ok for the classroom.

But I have to ask what type of class are you teaching where students aren't supposed to be listening and learning from you? And what type of school is allowing students to use their smartphones while in class? I didn't think I was that old and none of this would have been allowed when I was in high school! This is amazing to me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:11 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I wouldn't even want to hazard a guess about what kinds of music they'd like. I'd just tell them: "You get to make suggestions if you want, or I'll do it myself." Maybe do Motown one day, swing the next, then synthpop and post-rock and acid jazz and Mandopop or what have you.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:12 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Direct instruction is frowned on these days. Typically, I actually teach for less than 20 minutes out of 90. The rest of the time is individual or small group activities with me facilitating. I do as much hands on inquiry stuff as I can given our supplies.

I don't likue the device policy here, but I don't set the rules. We are also encouraged to integrate phones into activities, which I do not do (things like using the polling or survey sites).

My last school, a device out was an automatic detention. Here, we can call parents and complain but can't confiscate or send to security and admin won't back us up.

If I see a device during instruction, it's a detention and they lose the privalege completely.

I just would like to wean them off the headphone during individual work, but not by setting up an antagonistic cycle because every other teacher allows it. Well except the one super mean math teacher they are all afraid of. I'm afraid of her too.

Also, my rosters tends to be full of the barely or might not graduate students. I'm kind of a "last chance" science elective for many. Keeping them comfortable and coming to class is a priority as these kids are more likely than not to stop coming. That doesn't mean they get their way, but it means I do pick my battles for best results.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:01 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Ke$ha. Nothing but Ke$ha.

Serious suggestion: The Ramones! If there's a cuss word in any of their songs, I don't know it.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:16 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

lavawitch wrote:
missdelaney wrote:
Angus and Julia Stone
Bon Iver
The Civil Wars
Danny Elfman
Death Cab for Cutie
The Dodos
Feist
The Lumineers
Mumford & Sons
Punch Brothers
Sarah Slean
Andrew Bird
Arctic Monkeys
Arcade Fire
She & Him
The Swell Season

Thanks. I have quite a bit of that stuff already.

Civil Wars were also on the Hunger Games soundtrack.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:35 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Yann Tiersen! Especially the soundtrack to Amélie.
Actually, soundtracks are usually pretty good, because there will be at least a few really good songs on them. I love the The Virgin Suicides-soundtrack, and how about the Juno-soundtrack? or the Drive-soundtrack, which is really good!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:06 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I second The XX and The Ramones.
Also: Beach House, Twin Shadow, DIIV, Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti, Grizzly Bear, Interpol, Mae, Dinosaur Jr., The Cure, and The Orwells.

I don't really know what any kids listen to now and when I was in high school all I listened to was punk, but I'd guess you want to play something thats easy to listen to and easy to ignore when you need to. I feel like most typical teenagers want something new or something they can relate to. I think most of those bands fit the bill and they're all a bit different so its not boring.