| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: K-POP!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:47 am 
Grandfathered In

2NE1 has officially dominated the charts for 6 weeks. (3 songs in the top 10.)

Here's the video from Akdong Musician ("AkMu" to the cools, apparently). It's very cute (twee, even), and I gather they were given almost unprecedented control over it by YG. They're, like, 17 and 14.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:16 pm 
Grandfathered In

Here is their second video from the album, for "Melted." It's so good—and so sophisticated. I'm not sure if (17-year-old) Chan-hyuk arranged this one, but he composed it.

And here they are performing it on a recent episode of K-pop Star 3. (They won last season, after which they were signed by YG.)

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 3:37 pm 
Grandfathered In

Today (?) is 2NE1's 5th anniversary.

Well, I care.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:16 am 
Grandfathered In

New 2NE1 music video out today! It's for "너 아님 안돼 / Gotta Be You" and it's way simpler than "Come Back Home," their recent big-budget video. It's mostly them looking all colorful. (But CL looks absolutely stunning, I think. And Minzy, too, of course. And Dara's white (silver? platinum?) hair suits her.)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:07 pm 
Grandfathered In

Taeyang's first MV from his new solo album is out: 눈, 코, 입 (Eyes, Nose, Lips).

If you like sexy, yearning songs sung by handsome fellas who don't like wearing shirts, you might enjoy this. You might even enjoy it if you don't like those things.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:52 am 
Grandfathered In

YG has started this covers thing, where YG artists cover other YG artists. The first one is AKMU (the talented, twee brother-and-sister act) covering Taeyang's 눈, 코, 입 (see above). They do a great job.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:13 am 
Grandfathered In

It's been almost a year since my last post, and I know you've all been sick with worry. A lot has happened in k-pop (or at least in the tiny corner of k-pop I follow). Even if you don't care about pop music, have no interest in Korea, and need to go chase kids off your lawn, you should give this stuff a watch. K-pop is a seething cauldron of cuteness, PG sexiness, weirdness, and heroic earworms.

For instance, what about HI SUHUYN, the pairing of Lee Hi and Su-hyun (of AKMU)? They're the youngest singers in YG, and their song and video are pretty great. Lee Hi is a bluesy belter, and Su-hyun is strong and sweet. The video features Bobby (of the eternally going-to-debut-any-minute IKON), and it's superwholesome superfun.

And there's "Empty," the first video from (YG's) Winner (from last August). Like all k-pop acts, Winner is a laboratory creation. I think people steeped in the (marginally) more organic world of Western pop music find this a little off-putting, that all the groups are put together in back rooms, audition halls, and reality-show competitions, but that doesn't mean these kids aren't talented. And Winner's five different personalities (from "tough" to "tentative") and voices work so well together.

For a non-YG palate cleanser, there's the oddball Kim Ye-rim, and her new one, "Awoo." I really liked her "Good-bye 20" and "All Right," and I like this one even more. She has this canny, catlike strangeness that's really appealing.

There's also the new one from Miss A. This is "Only You," your basic fluffy, catchy number. I really like this song, but what the freak is with the peeping tom?! Just seems so unnecessary and icky.

And! And then! Big Bang is back. Big Bang (YG) is one of the most successful, most popular, and most respected (if that word makes sense in the candy-coated world of k-pop) groups in Korea. This is their first video since 2012 (when they released the excellent "Bad Boy" and the iconic "Fantastic Baby"). This video, for "Loser," is striking for the guys' willingness to cast themselves in the roles of victim and creep. (After about a day, it has racked up almost 4.5 million views.) I've seen this before in k-pop: the pretty-pretty idols don't mind coming off bad. In this video, all the guys are shown acting out their impotent rage, getting beat up, or (in T.O.P's case) threatening to beat people up. The T.O.P part (he's the rapper/actor/model with the bad hair sticking straight up like Sauron's helmet) might be unpleasant for many viewers. He's not shown committing violence against the woman in the hotel (?) room, but he's definitely shown being aggressive and intimidating. And then we see him stumbling, bloody and crying, down an alley. It's all very strange.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:24 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Have you seen Bae Bae?

(clearly I cannot post a video, sorry)

It's surreal.

And let's be clear, I have listened to both Loser and Bae Bae non-stop. (I love Big Bang, don't even care)

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:29 am 
Grandfathered In

Yes. I thought it looked amazing (and I loved T.O.P's Screaming Jay Hawkins turn), but I didn't really like the song.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:30 am 
Grandfathered In

Here's "Bae Bae":

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:31 am 
Grandfathered In

And, yeah, G-Dragon's alien pixie-satyr thing is on full display. And Taeyang on horseback, like a Harlequin romance cover come to life!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:34 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

It will be interesting to see what June brings.

For those reading but not up to date, Big Bang is releasing two songs a month between May and August or Sept. And then a full album with even more new songs. YG has really spared no expense for their comeback. And will earn it back no doubt.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:36 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

FootFace wrote:
And, yeah, G-Dragon's alien pixie-satyr thing is on full display. And Taeyang on horseback, like a Harlequin romance cover come to life!

Yeah, There is already fan art of a disturbing nature.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:39 am 
Grandfathered In

I'm sure there is.

And what about CL's imminent US debut?!

I have such misgivings about this. I think CL is totally great and talented and ambitious and hardworking and wonderful and everything. But I see her falling on her face. I just don't think it's going to work. (And seeing her pal around with Diplo and Justin Bieber. They just seem like scumbags. She's so much better than that.)

And, yes, I know I'm waaaay too old to even know who these people are.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:43 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I adore CL.
But yeah. I don't know that she has the following in the States that would make it work. Which makes me a little sad. Because she is so talented. And so freaking amazing.

(and don't mind me, I can talk Kpop and Kdrama's all day)

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:49 am 
Grandfathered In

Then you're the one I've been waiting for! (I don't watch much k-drama, though.)

No, CL has almost no following in the US, I'm guessing. But Justin Bieber's manager is trying to change that. It just feels so... yucky. So transparent. I'm not saying she's some revolutionary artist, but I think she's so much more than a Bieber. And she seems so sweet and thoughtful, unlike... others.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:56 am 
Grandfathered In

I don't think I ever posted this acoustic version of 2NE1's "Come Back Home," when they performed it a year ago as part of a tribute to the victims of the Sewol ferry disaster. This is just so, so good. I know it's a lamebrain cliche—"music is the universal language"—but I guarantee this video will speak to you, even if you don't understand a single word they're singing. It's so raw and beautiful.

Bom is obviously straining (you can see enlarged... nodes (?) on her neck), CL sounds like she's about to break down, Minzy is perfect, and Dara is lovely as always.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:58 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Yuck. Bieber. What else is there to say about that. He is so vile.

I was not a big CL fan until I saw 2NE1 on an episode of Running Man and she was just so flipping cute.

It's interesting to see what other fans say when a group changes up their style a bit. For instance, CNBlue has a relatively new album out that they released with their Japanese fans in mind. A lot of fans don't really like it. (I haven't listened to the full album yet, so I am withholding and opinion until I do).

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:02 am 
Grandfathered In

I think CL's on-stage persona—the Baddest Female and all that—bugs a lot of people. But, yeah, on Running Man she was so shy. And smart! She was the puzzle solver!

My knowledge of CNBlue is limited to a couple songs and Yong-hwa's character on You're Beautiful.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:13 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I find the whole k-pop scene so fascinating (not necessarily in a good way) I just wish I liked any of the music. It's not that I don't like manufactured pop music (I love Girls Aloud, All Saints, some Spice Girls, etc) I just haven't found anything I like yet and it's hard to navigate. I find most of the bigger songs too much "in your face" and harsh.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:25 am 
Grandfathered In

When we first started getting into it (in the late 90s), I didn't genuinely like a lot of it. A few songs here and there, but mostly it was the "This is all so new to me!" and "I like pretty girls" feelings that kept me interested.

Now kpop seems totally different. I think the music has really grown up. It seems far more sophisticated and varied. And I actually like so much more of it. I'm positive there's kpop out there that'd be more to your tastes.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:41 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Not gonna lie, Yong-Hwa's character on You're Beautiful was why I even checked out CNBlue. They are decidedly more subtle than most Kpop.

I started out like FF (only in the early 00's) and it was all the pretty things. (Although sometimes I feel like a pervy pervy noona).

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:52 am 
Grandfathered In

You're a pervy nuna? I'm an... an...

I'm an uncle fan!

The shame! The horror!

(And, regrettably, they also use the term pedonuna.)

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 10:38 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Been grooving on some Velvet this week, Red Velvet. This song especially.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:19 am 
Grandfathered In

Definitely more grown-up than their debut (the only Red Velvet video I'd seen before this one?).

Their hair is nicer in this, too. (The style in the debut, with the bottom few inches dyed a different color for each girl?)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next