| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Computer experts who don't mind being sucked into drama
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:13 pm 
Grandfathered In

Hello, computer experts of the PPK. I am experiencing a delightful computer-related event. My backup drive is now too full to perform more Time Machine backups (of my iMac running Yosemite). I bought a new external drive today: a 2 TB Seagate Backup Plus Slim.

When I connect it and try to run Time Machine, it tells me I need to formally stop using the old (too-full) drive I had been using for backups. Fine. Yes. That's what we're here for.

It tells me I have to erase the new drive in order to designate it as the Time Machine backup drive. Fine. I guess. I mean... it's blank, but sure. Go.

Then it tells me:
Quote:
There was an error preparing the Time Machine backup disk “Seagate Backup Plus Drive”. Couldn’t unmount disk.

Cool. I don't know what that means, and I don't know what to do about it.

THEN.

I notice that the new drive says I don't have write permission. But? Isn't this its whole purpose? To be written onto?

I find a Seagate support tab in the Seagate setup utility. I find something:

Quote:
Paragon Driver for Mac OS
This driver provides write access for Seagate external drives in Mac OS without having to reformat.

Am I understanding this right? I need to download software in order to use this thing for its intended purpose?

I am now feeling frustrated and stupid. Can anyone walk me through this? (Maybe I just don't understand the basics of using one of these drives? Even though I'd been using one intermittently for years?) What am I doing wrong and how can I do it right?

Post subject: Re: Computer experts who don't mind being sucked into drama
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:35 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Ah. Paragon Driver is an NTFS driver-- basically it lets you use drives that have been partitioned and formatted for Windows on your OS X system. I think that would not be a good idea for what you're trying to do here. Like, it would be helpful for transferring files from Windows to OS X, but not for a Time Machine drive.

Can you see the new drive in the Disk Utility? You should see two entries for it on the left-- one should be the drive, with a disk volume listed right below it. Click on the drive itself (it's probably something like "Seagate Backup Plus Slim" for the drive and something in all caps for the volume-- UNTITLED or something), and you should see a partition layout show up in the right-hand pane. Click the little pop-up menu at the top (which probably says "Current") and click "1 partition", pick "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" from the Format: menu and click "Apply." That'll nuke that drive and should let you use it without needing fancy drivers.

Be VERY VERY CAREFUL to be sure you have the right drive selected! I don't think it'll let you repartition your boot drive, but it'll let you nuke your existing time machine drive if it's plugged in.

Anyway, once that happens, it should just show up on your desktop like a real hard drive and everything.

I think Seagate had what seemed like a good idea ("Hey, we don't want to have to sell 2 different versions of our external drives, so let's figure out how Mac users can use our drives without having to format them, since that confuses people!") but managed to come up with a solution that is much more confusing than the original problem...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:35 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Oh, and ignore the dumb Seagate setup utility. I don't know why they bother. It's a hard drive! Come oooooooon.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:40 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

yeah, what he said. Disk Utility will let you unmount (eject) disks too, in case it yells at you about being mounted before Doing The Thing™.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:22 pm 
Grandfathered In

How did you do that?!

I think it's working.

But... How did you know exactly what options would show up and what I should... select, and...?

I mean, I could have been asking about anything. How can you just...?

And why the hell did the Seagate people think I would have hit on this solution on my own? This makes no sense to me. Nothing was explained. This seems like a stupid way to make your product. (Also, when I tried to register it, it gives this detailed procedure to follow to find the serial number. But none of the instructions work with my mac. Following their string of selections was impossible. "Wait. There is no Devices and Volumes option where you're telling me to look. Hey, there's nothing called Apple System Profiler here. I hate you!")

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:23 pm 
Grandfathered In

Anyway: THANK YOU SO MUCH.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:59 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

FootFace wrote:
How did you do that?!

I think it's working.

But... How did you know exactly what options would show up and what I should... select, and...?

I mean, I could have been asking about anything. How can you just...?

I fired up Disk Utility here and looked at it so I could tell you what to look for, and lemme tell you, over the past 20 years or so I have formatted a LOT of drives. I know what it looks like-- I was just checking it to make sure I told you the right thing. 8) I've spent way too much of my life answering obscure tech questions for people who are much less articulate than you about what they're seeing and what's going wrong and what they'd like to do.

Plus you described it pretty well, and then I went and looked at what that driver thing they want you to use does, and I put it together from that and from knowing the sorts of things tech companies think normal people want to do in order to use their computers. (Hint: Tech companies are often wrong.)

Quote:
And why the hell did the Seagate people think I would have hit on this solution on my own? This makes no sense to me. Nothing was explained. This seems like a stupid way to make your product. (Also, when I tried to register it, it gives this detailed procedure to follow to find the serial number. But none of the instructions work with my mac. Following their string of selections was impossible. "Wait. There is no Devices and Volumes option where you're telling me to look. Hey, there's nothing called Apple System Profiler here. I hate you!")

Devices and Volumes? Apple System Profiler? Really? That's from like 4 major versions ago-- OS X 10.7 or something. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Information_(Mac) )

Anyway, glad it works for you now. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:27 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I can vouch that seagate drive software will fork things up and that time machine can be persnickety.

Glad you got it sorted. I like TM a lot, but I also manually back up the really important stuff onto another drive.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:36 pm 

as an aside, I use CrashPlan to backup constantly to Teh Cloud™ and it's super great. you can access backups from other machines/phones. AAA+++ would recommend if you're srs about backups.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:49 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:53 pm 
Grandfathered In

I don't run Time Machine continuously, if that matters. It's something I do when I remember. So it's my "good enough" backup system. Maybe I should look into backing up to the cloud, too.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:58 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

My ex lost about a year's worth of photos (which, as a photographer, was very aggravating) because he relied only on Time Machine. It's a backup for recent work, not an archive. If Time Machine needs the space, it will start deleting older files.

If it's something you might want to access in a few years, make another copy, either on a Dropbox* is very discreet and works reliably and Box.com is another option. Both are free for basic use, starting at 2GB of space, which is enough for documents and the like. If you're regularly archiving RAW files or uncompressed media, you'll pop over that limit in days.

* This links to a referral thing from my account and will get us both a little extra space than going to http://www.dropbox.com, which is the homepage.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:58 am 

^CrashPlan (https://www.code42.com/crashplan/, $5/mo) has unlimited space, but alternatives like Backblaze (https://www.backblaze.com/, $5/mo), Carbonite (http://www.carbonite.com/, $5/mo) and Mozy (http://mozy.de/) are worth checking out

compared to Dropbox Pro ($10/mo after you go over free limit), with CrashPlan (and others to varying degrees) you get access to deleted files (forever) which is enough for me to loooove it. Dropbox scares me that you can accidentally overwrite things and then it's gone :/

I think I got a deal with CrashPlan that it's like $3/mo. a tooootal no-brainer, and it's saved my arse more times than I want to admit.

(I have no affiliation with them, but think they're the bee's knees)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:01 am 
Grandfathered In

I will look into those.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:33 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I like Dropbox. Less so as back-up to be honest but more because I write on my iPad on the train and I can port those files directly into Dropbox and have them available on my PC (and vice versa).

Mat.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:18 pm 
Grandfathered In

Allow me to ask a stupid question:

About the crashplan and backblaze "individual plans": Does "individual" here mean "single computer"? That is, this would still back up everything from multiple accounts on the same computer, right?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:57 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

joshua wrote:
with CrashPlan (and others to varying degrees) you get access to deleted files (forever) which is enough for me to loooove it.

I am intrigued!

Also by Gulliver's comment about Time Machine not being an archive, which, now that I think about it, duh, I knew that it overwrote old files. I would hate to lose any of my photos.

So, CrashPlan. Question is: How secure do you feel that it is, Joshua? Insofar as I realize nothing is truly secure.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:05 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

If you want time machine to be an archive, you can store the drive when it gets full and start a new one. I wouldn't rely just on that though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:30 am 
Grandfathered In

I've got a 1TB hard drive (or so) and a 2TB external drive, so it'll be a while before this external drive gets filled up with Time Machine backups.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:27 am 

~Sz wrote:
joshua wrote:
with CrashPlan (and others to varying degrees) you get access to deleted files (forever) which is enough for me to loooove it.

I am intrigued!

reading the FAQ (http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/Lat ... re_Options) they make reference to restoring files at snapshots in time, or that are deleted. it's pretty neat.

IIRC, Backblaze will keep "deleted" files around for ~6months and then purges them. can't remember the detail, but it was something like that.

~Sz wrote:
So, CrashPlan. Question is: How secure do you feel that it is, Joshua? Insofar as I realize nothing is truly secure.

by default, it's transparently encrypted (so..~kind of secure~ but you have to trust them. lols) but you can opt into having a custom password, or a custom key. they explain out some of the details here: http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/Lat ... rd_Options

but, yeah, it's a cloud app. it's never gonna be 100% safe from everyone, everywhere.

if you're _really_ concerned about privacy/security, then you're gonna want Tarsnap (https://www.tarsnap.com/)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:35 am 

FootFace wrote:
Allow me to ask a stupid question:

About the crashplan and backblaze "individual plans": Does "individual" here mean "single computer"? That is, this would still back up everything from multiple accounts on the same computer, right?

afaik, yeah. CrashPlan has the option to install as a system service, so should back up anything you throw at it from the machine. (though, can also be run as a user service for individual users)

soo..I assume so? I only ever really have 1 user account on my computer though, so not 100% sure.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:00 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

joshua wrote:
they make reference to restoring files at snapshots in time, or that are deleted. it's pretty neat.

That does sound good! Thank you for the recommendation!

Quote:
but, yeah, it's a cloud app. it's never gonna be 100% safe from everyone, everywhere.

Gotcha. But, it's probably not a huge target for hackers. There are richer pickings out there. It feels reasonable.

Quote:
if you're _really_ concerned about privacy/security, then you're gonna want Tarsnap (https://www.tarsnap.com/)

Ooh! Intrigued, but, no GUI. I'm not skilled enough to do terminal / command line stuff.

Thank you for all this beta, Joshua. Good stuff to think about and act on.