| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: House of Cards
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:07 pm 
Hip Goiter

Am I losing it or did I really not find a thread for this already???!!! Those may be unrelated questions.

Ummm wowwww I am kind of into it! I am on episode 5. I did NOT want KPax (my forever nickname for Kevin Spacey) and Zoe to have sex ughhhh I thought we were going to avoid that kind of dynamic but of course not. Other than that, I am fully on board and intrigued. Damn politics are corrupt like a biznitch.

blog/website
London bakery

Post subject: Re: House of Cards
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:30 pm 
WRETCHED

oh keep watching... zoe is there for a reason... (all I'll say!) I'm surprised we don't have a thread, it is one of my favorite shows. I'm waiting for the next season release.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:18 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

oh, it is SO great! I am jealous that you're just watching it for the first time now!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:41 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Claire Underwood 5eva.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:45 am 
Flounceiad 2011

I love the original series with Ian Richardson as Francis Urquart, but hadn't gotten around to watching the American interpretation until I was stuck on an airplane with a miserable cold last week and watched 6 episodes in a row. Since getting home - still with that &^%$# cold, which will not go away - I've finished the first season and just started the second. I like it, although Spacey lacks Richardson's reptilian charisma, and the Macbeth and Richard III analogies are painted with broader, less subtle strokes than they were in the UK version; in fact, this show is a lot more "soap operatic" on the whole. That said, I think it was a smart move to make the lead character a member of the putatively "liberal" party (rather than the conservative Tory of the original); it complicates the narrative in interesting ways, and let's face it - if Francis Underwood were a Republican, current audiences wouldn't even blink at his corrupt shenanigans. I also like that they've given Claire her own career and agenda that don't always align precisely with her husband's; Urquart's wife is much more a Lady Macbeth figure, working behind the scenes to further his designs (the affair with the reporter is at least partially her idea, as I recall). And the actress who plays Zoe is exactly the right amount of annoying - her analogue in the UK version winds up getting thrown off a building; I'm curious to find out what's in store for Ms. Barnes. Good stuff!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:36 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Anyone see the new trailer? Anyone else pretty dang excited? Yeah?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:42 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

ZOMG that trailer is so intense - can't wait!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:17 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Yesss, I can't wait for season 3 to start!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:26 pm 
WRETCHED

Finished season 3... so disappointed... At least it isn't what I thought
Spoiler: show
I thought Claire might kill herself or be diagnosed with a terminal disease or something... And Rachel, I was hoping she'd just go off and be happy. I know Doug loved her in his own way

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:03 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Yeah what was up with Claire? She was so collected in past seasons and was all over in this one. My husband thinks she is acting abnormally because they made a reference to menopause (?) but I feel like it's something else.

I am still crushing on her though. I know she and Frank are terrible people but I find them alluring too. Maybe because the actors are so attractive!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:02 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Yeah season 3, while good, was a bit weird. Seemed like it ended somewhat abruptly. Seasons 1 and 2, while both set up to continue, didn't have cliffhangers like the end of season 3...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:37 am 
Asked Santa for a pony

Season 3 was sort of a snooze fest. I feel like it could have been compacted into half of a season and been way more interesting. The last two seasons always had something that compelled me forward, but this one just didn't feel binge worthy There was too much Doug (and too much Doug looking sad watching the news), and I ultimately thought that his whole story line was pointless. I had also wanted to revisit Zoe in some way but there was no mention of it.

Claire is, unfortunately, a great politicians wife (which she absolutely doesn't want to be) and kind of a lousy politician, which makes her feel powerless and desperate to regain her own identity, and escape from living in Francis' shadow. I'm hoping next season we see them go head to head.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:33 pm 
WRETCHED

I agree, I which Frank had supported her instead of yelled at her. Also it was weird that she was like she complained that she got her job through him but she didn't get voted in and she told him to do it. I know she wants to be a politician but she went about it the wrong way.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:17 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I rewatched season 1 last month and now I am a few episodes into season 2. I love how there is little effort to make Frank Underwood seem more likeable. He doesn't seem to really have a soft spot or a hidden side to him. I hate when movies/tv shows try to make someone more 'human' when sometimes we can just revel in the twistedness of people. Claire seems to be cracking a bit at the point I'm at in the season so I am curious to see what happens. The PR guys both seem a bit sketchy, too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:42 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I just finished season 3 yesterday....wow, what a disappointment. I echo everything that's already been said. I had to really force myself to watch the last few episodes...I just didn't care what happened.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:40 am 
Flounceiad 2011

We just finished it, too. I actually found myself getting more invested in the last few episodes, and I'm definitely interested to see where they go from here. It was certainly a different sort of season than the previous two, but that sort of had to happen because of the change in the characters' status - it's harder to go around murdering people and screwing members of the press corps when you're living in the White House under 24/7 surveillance, and there's a lot more at stake. The disintegration of Frank and Claire's relationship is the main casualty of their success, and I think that had to be shown happening gradually. Like the Macbeths (to whom reviewers often compare them), the Underwoods were most together, high-functioning, and effective when their ambition was shared, and they were working towards it together. Once they get where they're going, it's all about staying there (always a less compelling narrative), the agenda is his[ rather than theirs, and she's relegated to a supporting - and increasingly isolated - role. I really wonder what will be happening at the start of season 4, because contrary to what he told her in the last episode - it's actually Frank who's nothing without Claire.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:07 am 
Naked Under Apron

Just started watching it over the bank holiday, up to episode 8 on season 1.
I wondered if I'd get in to it as I know little about American politics but I'm liking it so far. Interested to see what will happen with Peter now they're vetting him, I can't help but feel that it's not going to end well though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:49 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I actually liked the direction it took in season 3. As I've said before, I like that this show doesn't try to pretty up the characters and give them some soft, likeable side. It is a sort of dystopian view of politics.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:43 am 
Naked Under Apron

Just started season 2, shocked at what Frank did to Zoe.....what a total croissant. He and his wife are both ruthless monsters that will stop at nothing to get what they want. Neither have any redeeming features so I kind of don't care what happens to them now.

I feel really bad for Lucas because he's probably going to end up murdered or framed for something he didn't do trying to find out the truth behind Zoe's death.

I guess Rachel Posner will also end up dead pretty soon as she won't be able to follow the commands of Doug Stamper forever. He is hella creepy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:41 pm 
Naked Under Apron

So, the season 4 trailer dropped last week.....I hope Netflix release the entire season in one go so I can binge-watch it

https://youtu.be/NTzycsqxYJ0

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:46 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I just managed to catch up with season 3 to start season 4 this weekend. I found Frank's struggle to retain power far less compelling than his (and Claire's) struggle to gain power and lost interest when I first watched it last year. I'm glad I powered through because there's some pretty good payoff in s4. I'm not done myself so I won't say anything (even in spoilers) about what I've seen so far, but it's far improved over s3.

Also, I feel kinda dumb for not realising that the guy who plays Petrov is Mads Mikkelsen's older brother. I kept looking at him thinking he reminded me of someone, and I was up to probably ep 2/3 of s4 before I saw his name (wondering who he played because I still hadn't put it together) and IMDb'd him. That family is good at portraying terrifying psychopaths.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:31 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I've only watched s4ep1, but I agree that this season seems to have refocused on the things that made the first two so interesting.

Patricia Arquette tho!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:41 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm 2 episodes into season 4, but I like the power plays again. I don't want to say too much, but I hope they do more with
Spoiler: show
Lucas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:14 am 
WRETCHED

We don't binge watch, so it'll probably be a week or 2 before we are done but it definitely is heating up.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:44 pm 
Hip Goiter

I'm still not done season 1 - I knowwww but I got distracted for like 2 years? -- but KPax just f-ing killed Peter Russo and I CANNOT BELIEVE.

blog/website
London bakery