| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A literary game: what books do you wish existed?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:18 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I'm not the only one that sits around trying to wish books into existence, can I? :)

Topics or settings so far under-explored in fiction, favourite authors co-writing books in different combinations, favourite authors writing in new genres: what are you dying to read?

For bonus points, what existing books do you want to see adapted to film?

Post subject: Re: A literary game: what books do you wish existed?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:42 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'd love to see where Angela Carter's writing would have gone if she had lived longer.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:49 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I have a partial copy of the sequel to John Bellairs' "The Face in the Frost" (in a semi-obscure NESFA collection of John Bellairs writing). I wish he'd finished it.

The number one books that I'd like to see that won't ever exist, though, is whatever Iain (M) Banks would have written next and after that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:33 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Morgyn, you're not the only one!

http://jauntydame.com/2013/02/books-that-should-be-written/

Additionally, I'd love to read more detailed stories of Laura Ingalls Wilder's thoughts and inner life.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:38 am 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i'd like robert coover, jessica anthony, karen russell, and the ghost of roald dahl to collaborate on an exquisite-corpse-style book of short stories, and i want walter martin and paloma muñoz to create snowglobes to be used as illustrations.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:38 am 
Bathes in Braggs

"How to read self-help books and get the most out of it"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:42 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Now, (thanks to her journals being published) that we know a bit more about Lucy Maude Montgomery, I'd love to see what she would write were she alive today -without the societal constraints of her time.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:51 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I know Summer Of My Amazing Luck was not Miriam Toews most critically acclaimed, but I have such great affection for that story. I've read it three times now, seen the play - my husband and I will still say "good luck Lucy" at least once a week to one another. I fall in love with everything else she's written, but I admit I'd like to see her write a novel along these lines just one more time.

I'd also like to see Kate Grenville write another like Idea of Perfection, I just can't get into her historically set novels.

Great idea for a thread :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:14 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I would like to know how Dickens was going to finish The Mystery of Edwin Drood.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:09 pm 
Hip Goiter

blondiefk wrote:
I would like to know how Dickens was going to finish The Mystery of Edwin Drood.

OMG I just signed in to post this exact thing! Seeing the play and tallying how many times the audience votes for certain people to be the killer just DOESN'T cut it! I need to know what happened!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:20 pm 
WELFARIST!

Morgyn wrote:
For bonus points, what existing books do you want to see adapted to film?

Lawrence Sanders The Third Deadly Sin. I mean, it's basically a slasher book about a female serial killer but the depth of the exploration of his female character (and the believability) and the characters around her are really well defined--there was a time when I had devised a soundtrack (in my head) if I were to make a version of the film. It doesn't interest me as much as it once did but I once thought that much about it like thinking which scenes to shoot and how each character ideally might play their part so it matched the images in my mind.

I wish there were fairy tale type stories all through the ages. Like what would a fairy tale in caveman times be like? What did they hold dear then? What was wicked and what was good? What were their thoughts on the moon and natural phenomenon when they had no modern scientists to tell them how things were? Did they fear it? Or if they believed the Earth was flat, brave souls willing to walk and walk until the ends of the earth....things like that. So many questions....

I wish modern literature, in general, hadn't taken such a sharp turn toward realism as its subject. I would like to see more stories of the imagination and less stuff that reads like creative nonfiction with the names changed to protect the innocent under the guise of fiction. I know that's supposed to be the soul-changing stuff but I don't know, my first joy of reading is escapism and often when I'm reading modern fiction I feel like my escape is into someone else's troubles, not their imagination. Maybe I've just always read the wrong stuff?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:39 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

There's this awesome YA fantasy novel that was recommended in the "And what are we reading now?" thread called Poison by Bridget Zinn. Zinn passed away before it was published. The world she created was so vivid and lovely and the characters were charming. I tore through it so fast. It wasn't perfect, but there was so much potential. It would have made a great little series, and would make an awesome Disney-type film at some point.

Also, I'd really like the final Game of Thrones books to be published already. The show is great, but I love the detail in the books. Also, more Harry Potter. Because I can't get enough of that world.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:39 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

There's this awesome YA fantasy novel that was recommended in the "And what are we reading now?" thread called Poison by Bridget Zinn. Zinn passed away before it was published. The world she created was so vivid and lovely and the characters were charming. I tore through it so fast. It wasn't perfect, but there was so much potential. It would have made a great little series, and would make an awesome Disney-type film at some point.

Also, I'd really like the final Game of Thrones books to be published already. The show is great, but I love the detail in the books. Also, more Harry Potter. Because I can't get enough of that world.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:45 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I wish Susanna Clarke and Lev Grossman would write more novels about magicians. I like their portrayal of magicians as regular folks, not in fantasy worlds. I like fantasy magician books too, I just want more of the other as well.

If any of these exist that I may not have heard of, please let me know!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:28 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Vampire novels without virginal heroins. It's getting old. I want to enjoy vampire stories without all the female virgin obsession!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:33 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

jean wrote:
I know Summer Of My Amazing Luck was not Miriam Toews most critically acclaimed, but I have such great affection for that story. I've read it three times now, seen the play - my husband and I will still say "good luck Lucy" at least once a week to one another. I fall in love with everything else she's written, but I admit I'd like to see her write a novel along these lines just one more time.

I love that story too! And Miriam Toews was my mum's university roommate.

Two of my favourite authors have been teachers of mine, and I really worship their work! I would love to see Bill Gaston's Sointula and Susan Musgrave's Cargo of Orchids adapted for the screen.

I'd love to read more see more interesting dystopian works of YA lit like Meg Rosoff's stuff. I just think I would have loved that stuff when I was a young reader bored with the usual fantasy or predictable coming-of-age fiction.

I think my literary tastes are beginning to shift. I used to want to read the most highly revered literature--the stuff that inspired the authors who inspire me, but now I seem more drawn to writers (in any genre) who have almost an other-worldly ability to create worlds within a book, and characters you can actually believe in with no reason not to other than the fact that they don't technically exist. But why should fiction ever be technical?

I also love highly complex characters who evoke a sense of familiarity in nearly every reader. Bill Gaston is amazing with that, and my interest in counselling psychology is appropriately piqued in all of his characters.

I love books.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:20 pm 
WELFARIST!

Yes, vijita, Bill Gaston and Susan Musgrave are amazing! It's so awesome you got to study with them!

I haven't read Miriam T myself but I have A Complicated Kindness on my shelf!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:41 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I would like to read a collaboration between Pynchon and Mark Twain.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:54 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

20 or so years ago, I read a great adaptation of Snow White. In fact, I think it was called "Snow White and Rose Red". The author has mentioned wanting to do a series of re-imaginings of classic fairy tales. I would gobble those up!

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:27 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i usually hate the idea of books i like being adapted for the screen, because i get weirdly protective of the world in my head, but i thought jack pendarvis's short story "your body is changing" would be kind of perfect as a movie.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:32 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

While I was working on a university project on the Volsunga Saga I realized I'd love a modern re-telling of the Icelandic sagas, or parts of it, really. I thought "I should write this myself!" and then I figured it'd be too hard for me to do.