| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: British Mysteries
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:51 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

primesaut wrote:
Endeavour (about Morse's early days in Oxford CID).

ETA: I can't believe I forgot about The Bletchley Circle! It was recently announced that there would be a second season, which I'm extatic about.

Love the Bletchley Circle! I can't wait for the next season.

I'm loving this thread, I enjoy British mysteries so much. I like Broadchurch, Whitechapel, and Agatha Christie. Not British but I also enjoyed Top of the Lake and Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:39 am 
Inflexitarian

I loved Top of the Lake. It's actually an Australian/New Zealand/British co-production. The way the landscape plays such a large part of the whole atmosphere reminds me of The Returned (which I enjoyed but didn't totally love) and Broadchurch.

I really love the later seasons of Miss Marple. I prefer the Marple mysteries than the Poirot ones, yet two of the Poirots are my favourite Agatha Christie adaptations, Five Little Pigs (2003) and Murder on the Orient Express (2010) and I highly recommend them!

Also, for Ben Whishaw fans (I love The Hour too!) the first series of Criminal Justice is fantastic. More of a crime/legal drama than a mystery though. Same with Silk, which I liked (Maxine Peake is great). I also really enjoyed Hunted and Case Sensitive. I also recommend Malice Aforethought and a couple of other historical ones: The Suspicions of Mr Whicher and The Night Watch (which isn't really a mystery, but it's great nonetheless) and Glorious 39 (more of Romola Garai for fans of The Hour). I've been a Stephen Poliakoff fan for ages, and although his recent work isn't a patch on his earlier stuff, it's still worth working your way through his body of work if you like British drama. My favourites are Shooting the Past and Perfect Strangers. I watched Dancing on the Edge recently, which I liked.

Agree about so many of the others people are recommending! I haven't seen The Bridge yet, but if it's half as good as The Killing and Borgen, I'm sure I'll love it!

PS. Am I the only one who totally gets Paddy Considine and Andrew Buchan mixed up?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:08 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

just bumping this thread because us ridiculous americans had to go and make, what looks like, a shot for shot remake of broadchurch starring a SUPER un-scottish david tennant.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:04 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

It really looks just like Broadchurch. Not that I ever saw it, but the commercials look pretty identical. Except the weather maybe isn't dreary enough.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:32 pm 

Yeah. It's supposed to be a remake, but they could have at least tried to put a new spin on it. Yeesh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:42 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Yeah, the Broadchurch remake seems sort of ridiculous (especially with David Tennant playing the exact same role?), but I never watched the original and I love Anna Gunn madly so I will still probably watch it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:01 pm 

oh, if you didn't watch the original, watch this one! i'm really curious how it is! it looks good. the original was good. i can't watch it again because 1. it's sooo dark and 2. i know who did it!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:05 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I was bummed that I missed it the first time, and was just wondering if it is on netflix. But I guess I can try this one out. For science.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:27 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I found a new one that I am liking (though I have only watched one episode). Hinterland. It is set in Wales. And visually, it is so lovely. But the story line seems a little Wallender-esque. Which I like.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs