| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:23 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Is anyone watching this? I like it alot, it's tough to fill Colbert's shoes but he does a really good job. I always liked Larry on The Daily Show and it seems he can carry his own show, also like that the format is a bit different from Daily and Colbert with concentrating on one issue per show.

Post subject: Re: The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:44 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Mal wrote:
Is anyone watching this? I like it alot, it's tough to fill Colbert's shoes but he does a really good job. I always liked Larry on The Daily Show and it seems he can carry his own show, also like that the format is a bit different from Daily and Colbert with concentrating on one issue per show.
I haven't seen it yet; thanks for reminding me to set the DVR. The "one issue per night" thing is pretty much then approach John Oliver is taking on his (excellent, smart, and hilarious) show, and I agree that it does make a nice change from The Daily Show.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:32 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

It's a nice deviation, only one topical issue per night, the first third is Wilmore talking about it in a Daily/Colbert kinda way and the other 2/3rds are a panel of different journalists, comedians, politicians, etc. discussing that issue. Stuff like Bill Cosby, American Sniper, vaccinations, it's funny and also quite interesting to hear the different positions of the panel guests.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:47 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I really like it (I'm actually going to go to a taping on Monday), but I've heard concerns that the 30 minute format won't give panelist enough time to really get into the issue. I agree with that, but I also think Larry Wilmore is hilarious, I hope the show doesn't run out of steam anytime soon.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:28 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Yeah, that is is my only problem, the panelists don't have enough time to make their point. I think the show would benefit from a longer running time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:20 pm 
Semen Strong

I love the show, and really like the first segments where Wilmore addresses the issues of the day. I think the panel is a far less strong part - just because as others have said, we don't really get to go very deep due to time constraints and often the panelists don't seem to have much chemistry. I would love it if there was an established panel with good chemistry that we saw regularly and got to know or if the panel portion was longer (though I wouldn't want to miss any of Wilmore's monologues which are brilliant and one of my favorite parts of TDS).

That said, this review made me think twice about the panel:
Quote:
As host of The Nightly Show, Larry Wilmore is the only non-white man on late night. And he has the potential to be the most important voice on television; not simply because of his personal background, but because of his emphasis on multiplicity. The show’s true value, should it get the opportunity to grow into itself, is its commitment to dialogue. The Nightly Show is structured around single-topic episodes—in its first week, it covered Selma and the state of the Black protest, Bill Cosby’s rape accusations, Obama’s second term, and the normalization of relations with Cuba—but it addresses the social and cultural climate of America by focusing on the many ways any issue can be approached.

One of Wilmore’s most important and praiseworthy attributes is his implicit acknowledgment that “minority issues” are really just American issues, and that they deserve to be treated as such. Through a nightly panel segment comprised of actors, comedians, and journalists, Wilmore avoids the common host trope of filtering the world solely though his own worldview; instead, he allows a diverse group of guests to explain their own identities and perspectives. At the show’s core is a commitment to the idea of purposeful conversation, rather than the moral superiority that comes with being right.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... k-man.html

I love the show though, and its already the first thing I watch, before TDS, and that is saying something. SO happy he got his own show! I love that Jon Stewart has been so instrumental in launching great comedians into the arena, and I hope that Jessica Williams is the next to get her own series!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:58 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

He really nailed it with his description of a first world problem: having to put the subtitles on Netflix because you're eating Doritos too loudly.

Norton's Movie Maps

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:25 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I'm really into it. And I wish there was more time for the panels. I think the Keep it 100 segment is a pretty fantastic idea!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:00 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I am a fan! I keep finding myself bringing up the show or the topics covered for one reason or another. I also think it's nice that they aren't doing the spotlight interviews with actors or whomever in favor of the single topic shows. I think they're doing a great job providing something in the spot where Colbert that is different and really relevant and entertaining.