| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 719 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rupaul's Drag Race!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:08 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

^^ Agreed!

darienne, adore, joslyn and trinity bombed the interview but i don't blame them. it was clear that chaz and cher's mom didn't want to be there and it made the whole thing uncomfortable to watch. trinity's outfit was more put together then the others so she should have been safe this week.

it wasn't until i saw darienne's runway outfit on a recap blog did it become clear she was an elephant. i though the tusk earrings and grey hair was the only thing she had. either way, it wasn't that great. i love bianca even more for calling her a shady elephant.

ben's outfit was thoughtful and i loved it but courtney's outfit.... take away the wings and it's just a body suit. i don't know why the judges were so impressed by it.

the lip sync with adore and trinity is the best one this season. trinity proved, yet again, that her lip sync performance is her strength. adore was good but trinity was far better but it was trinity's time to go home so that's probably why Ru sent her home.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:11 pm 
A Bad Person

Count me in for shocked that Joslyn wasn't even lipsynching for her life! I guess the rest of the interview was good. I mean, it is a pretty big mistake to call Chaz "Chad". It looks bad on your behalf and puts the interviewee in a bad spot because they either have to sit there and listen to you call them the wrong name over and over, or correct it and throw them off even more.

A lot of those interviews were bad. Courtney and Ben were clearly the top of those, but the rest were like choosing the least smelly turd. Bianca's would've been passable if she'd even acknowledged Georgia. And Joslyn still did the Cher's vagina joke without the vagina, and it was just as unfunny the second time as it was the first.

It's kind of sad to see Trinity go. I'm not convinced she could've won it but she had a chance and she was improving until this episode.

I don't want to really stir up some shiitake in this thread, but I totally noticed they didn't play the "You've got she-mail!" sound before the mini-challenge, and this article says it won't be coming back. It also says they've pulled down the episode and the challenge will never appear again. I've got that episode through Amazon though, so now I wonder if they cut it out.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:47 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Yes, the team apologized and said the segment wasn't coming back. My queen Sharon Needles was really nasty about it on Facebook and the comments were even worse. It's hard to comprehend one part of the LGBTQIA community can't be more sympathetic to another part's struggles.

Edit: here's the apology

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:58 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

i'm in the 'don't know but open to learn' group so posting links to thoughtful articles on this term are appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:38 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Agreed re: Joslyn - they've been reading her on her runway look every week, and she still didn't impress them, *and* she forked up the interview. She should've been bottom two. But unless she pulls something out of her asparagus next week, I think she's going home.

I didn't love Courtney's runway look. Why did that thing have nipples? I understood Darienne's - they were her actual nips! I just thought the whole thing would've been really boring without the wings. But it makes me wonder - do they get told what kind of outfits they should bring? Because why would she have that otherwise?

Darienne's runway was so boring. Most of her outfits are boring. She's boring.

Predictions for top 3? I'm thinking Bianca (for the win), Adore, and either Ben or Courtney. I'd prefer Ben because I like her more (especially the longer I'm exposed to Courtney), but it'll probably be Courtney.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:00 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

They're definitely told ahead of time what themes of outfits to bring - black and white, animal, and then probably more vague stuff like X amount of gowns.

SweetT wrote:
i'm in the 'don't know but open to learn' group so posting links to thoughtful articles on this term are appreciated.

Same here. I didn't know before this that 'ladyboy' is a trans slur since i've never heard it outside the show, nor did I realize that people were so bothered by 'you've got she mail'. Even though it doesn't affect me, I still think that people have the right to be offended/hurt by words and I haaaaaaaaaate it when people tell them to get over it. I finally unfollowed Santino on twitter because he made 50 tweets that were basically, "If it bothers you, you don't love yourself enough." Also he takes about light and love too much and eats honey. And whatever Sharon said that was horrible, i'm not surprised because she's a horrible person that i'm not even a little bit a fan of anymore.

I don't think taking the episode down forever is the solution though, they could've simply edited out the mini challenge and stuck in a bit from Ru explaining why. Then people would still get the episode AND could be educated. I checked amazon and Brian and I can still watch it since we paid for it, which is good because i'd be pretty pissed if they took it away from us.

ANYWAY, about the episode, I think Trinity should've been above Joslyn because of the runway. Trinity's look was amazing, she prefers glam but isn't afraid to get a little weird, and Joslyn's was weak as fork. Getting Chaz's name wrong was bad, but Chaz could've corrected her and didn't. I wonder if Chaz and Georgia were told to be a little difficult because they didn't really do anything but directly answer the questions. P.S. Georgia Holt is 87. EIGHTY. SEVEN.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:29 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Awh I'm glad all y'all are feeling interested about the she-mail thing. It's so funny because to me, I could never understand how anyone could think of it as anything other than terribly offensive! I would just cringe when I heard it, but same as how I cringe when see some gross-but-generally-accepted sexist remark or something in advertising. Like... "Okay I guess I don't need to be outraged but yikes..."

Anyhow, I'm rambling. As a trans person I've been called lots of things, and not even as being intended as an insult either. It feels pretty odd let me tell you to have people find out I'm trans and say "ooooh so kind of like a he-she". ... Nope, nope not kind of like that at all.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:38 pm 

I guess the reason i've never thought of it is that it's clearly a play on AOL's 'you've got mail' thing so that's the actual joke, and I have genuinely never heard anyone complain about it until this year. It's never been brought up in this thread and I haven't seen articles about it until the real woman/drag queen challenge. I'm glad it's gone since it was bothering people, and it's not like it was a super funny joke to begin with.

I posted these articles in another thread, but this is another thing I was unaware of: some trans people really hate drag queens and trans women who are 'too draggy'. I had no idea.

http://boingboing.net/2014/04/04/rupaul.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/calpernia ... 77322.html

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:56 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Mars wrote:
Awh I'm glad all y'all are feeling interested about the she-mail thing. It's so funny because to me, I could never understand how anyone could think of it as anything other than terribly offensive! I would just cringe when I heard it, but same as how I cringe when see some gross-but-generally-accepted sexist remark or something in advertising. Like... "Okay I guess I don't need to be outraged but yikes..."

Anyhow, I'm rambling. As a trans person I've been called lots of things, and not even as being intended as an insult either. It feels pretty odd let me tell you to have people find out I'm trans and say "ooooh so kind of like a he-she". ... Nope, nope not kind of like that at all.

I didn't think it was offensive before, because I had (naively?) assumed that the term "shemale" was used as a slur directed at drag queens and cross-dressers, and seeing that this is a show by and for drag queens, I thought they were reclaiming the word in a joking way. I understand its offensiveness now and I'm glad the slur was removed from the show.

On a similar note: I cringe a lot at the casual misogyny on the show. I understand that drag is a caricature of women, of the hyper feminine, but calling others "bisques", "whores", "sluts", and things like women not eating more than a single Tic-Tac bothers me. Don't get me wrong, I love the show and I've watched all six seasons, but does that bother anyone else?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:20 am 

mrsbadmouth wrote:
I posted these articles in another thread, but this is another thing I was unaware of: some trans people really hate drag queens and trans women who are 'too draggy'. I had no idea.
http://boingboing.net/2014/04/04/rupaul.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/calpernia ... 77322.html

Yeah it's really sad, but even minorities are still big enough to have some dissent. I honestly think it's a defense mechanism around insecurities. Early on in my transition I felt pretty unfavorably toward drag kings and butch lesbians, I was so afraid that people would think that's what I was. Just a butch dyke. It took me feeling good in my own skin to realize that it really doesn't matter if people think that or not, I'm not that, and that's all that matters. Now I think drag kings are amazing, rad, hot, and integral to the queer community! As are drag queens!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:03 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Mars wrote:

I'll admit that the she-mail thing mostly went over my head for a while. But I found that mini-challenge really offensive because it was both transphobic and misogynistic. I said something about it on FB, but now I'm wishing I'd mentioned it on here. I thought someone else would say something, and when no one did, I just kept it to myself because I thought I was overreacting (especially after reading the BoingBoing article MBM posted).

Bun wrote:
On a similar note: I cringe a lot at the casual misogyny on the show. I understand that drag is a caricature of women, of the hyper feminine, but calling others "bisques", "whores", "sluts", and things like women not eating more than a single Tic-Tac bothers me. Don't get me wrong, I love the show and I've watched all six seasons, but does that bother anyone else?

God, yes. Some of it is really offensive, like Joslyn almost gagging over the thought of a vagina.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:01 pm 

I think the tic-tac thing is a supermodel joke, not just general women. But I get what you're saying. Like if you think about the word 'fishy', it's really gross because it's from that stupid idea that vaginas smell like fish. And most of the time it's easy to ignore but I remember one time when one of the queens went on and on with the fish metaphors and I was thinking, "GOD, SHUT UP."

I hate myself so I went and found the Sharon Needles post. Good to see she's still using her fame and influence to encourage her fans to be intolerant crassholes just like she is.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:10 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

What is the story on Sharon Needles? I liked her.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:40 pm 

The first awful thing she did after winning was sign a fans autograph with the n-word and then seemed really surprised when people were offended and boycotted one of her shows. And it's basically variations on that. She keeps saying that it's part of her art and she's 'reclaiming' words and bringing dark subjects into the light. Weird, I don't remember her wearing nazi uniforms and dropping racial slurs when she was trying to win $100k (most of which she spent on plastic surgery). She went to Austria for some sort of benefit and the first thing she did when she got off the plane was make a Hitler joke. The person in charge of the benefit heard her and immediately dropped her from the event and sent her right back home.

And then there's this. What art was this for?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:46 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Wow...

Thanks for filling me in.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:56 am 
Level 7 Vegan

What the fork. I had no idea! I hereby revoke the title "My queen".

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:19 am 

Wow, so glad Alaska and Sharon broke up! (I am kind of addicted to how sexy Alaska is) (I hope Alaska doesn't share these similar views)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:08 am 
Level 7 Vegan

They broke up?! I'm so out of the loop.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:33 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Ugh, I loved that Sharon won her season because she was a freak and owned it and still managed to do really well. It sucks that she basically hid the worst aspects of herself to win all that money and has since used her platform to be awful. It makes me sad.

Bun, if it makes you feel any better, I didn't know that either. But I don't really follow either of them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:34 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

GOODBYE JOSLYN!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:51 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

i will miss joslyn's giggle.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:03 am 

And I will miss the "wawh-wawh" boob thingy.

This episode was sweet, but I felt like I hardly got time to see much happen? Was that just me? Anyhow. I wish Joslyn had asked her bride what was their reasons for coming on the show. Well, I kind of wish we had got that question for all the brides, but with some it was obvious that they weren't your average heteronormative people and probably enjoy gender bending. But Joslyn's bride was just so scared!

I don't understand why Adore would send out her bride with such shoddy makeup. Looked like she had no foundation at all, put on mascara and then chopped some onions, all of this after giving a BJ which made her lipstick smear all over her mouth.

Darienne's Bride looked totally hot and adorable, and like real drag queen potential I think. Would have been better suited with someone else maybe but she was adorable.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:41 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Mars wrote:
And I will miss the "wawh-wawh" boob thingy.

This episode was sweet, but I felt like I hardly got time to see much happen? Was that just me? Anyhow. I wish Joslyn had asked her bride what was their reasons for coming on the show. Well, I kind of wish we had got that question for all the brides, but with some it was obvious that they weren't your average heteronormative people and probably enjoy gender bending. But Joslyn's bride was just so scared!

I don't understand why Adore would send out her bride with such shoddy makeup. Looked like she had no foundation at all, put on mascara and then chopped some onions, all of this after giving a BJ which made her lipstick smear all over her mouth.

Darienne's Bride looked totally hot and adorable, and like real drag queen potential I think. Would have been better suited with someone else maybe but she was adorable.

I don't often care about RuPaul on her show, but I think the way she does the send-off's is touching. I couldn't believe she the boob thing for Josyln! Regarding Joslyn's guy, I think it was Tom and Lorenzo who pointed out that it's fairly improbable (though admittedly not impossible) that any of these couples were surprised by what was in store for them. I guess it's possible that the reality of it didn't hit him until he got there...did no one ask him "if you're so uncomfortable with this, why did you sign up for it?"

Darienne's couple had the best vows, I think. I loved that there was no "strategy" or trying to fork people over by Bianca giving out the brides. It didn't happen to do any good, but it's not like that's ever gotten anyone anywhere, anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:07 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Squeak wrote:
...did no one ask him "if you're so uncomfortable with this, why did you sign up for it?"

I was wondering this too!

I wasn't surprised Bianca won, she looked very matching with her bride. I really think she is going to win this season. I'm tired of Courtney. She's really pretty, but that's about it and she seems so mean!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:58 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

To quote Bianca - "Really, queen?!" I can't believe she kept Darienne and sent De La home. Everyone else in the whole goddamn room knew Darienne should've gone home. She's consistently mediocre at best, and she utterly failed at all three runway looks. What could Ru possibly see as her value in continuing, other than stirring shiitake up because she's so hateful? She better not make top three.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 719 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next