| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: the Taste
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:55 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

anyone else watching this?
im part way through the first episode.

it seems to be the Voice for cooking. there are 4 judges/mentors. 2 of them ive never heard of: some French guy named Ludo and some blonde guy named Malarkey (is that really his name?)
then they have Anthony Bourdain whom i dont really like and Nigella Lawson whom i dont know anything about besides she has a lot of cookbooks and tv shows but i think i love her.

the one thing i dont understand is why they keep saying no to people and then being like "i made a huge mistake i really want you in my kitchen"

then why did they say no? i dont get it.

Post subject: Re: the Taste
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:31 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

ugh that show was frustrating. the stupid reasons they gave for not picking good chefs and then whining about it afterward was annoying. they do that kind of thing on masterchef but at least they change their minds and pick them anyway. maybe the show will get better after they pick their teams. the judges aren't too terrible.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:13 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

anyone watch last night? according to a blurb from VegNews on facebook there were 3 vegan chefs on it.

im slightly confused cause facebook says three and then you click the link and it only talks about one.

i have the show on my dvr and havent watched yet so im not sure exactly how many or how well they did!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:21 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

there were two vegan chefs and a raw vegan chef. anthony bourdain actually liked one of them but i don't think any of them made it. there was also a lot of shiitake talking so it wasn't a great representation.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:05 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ugh. i dont like how they treated the vegetarians. they were like "oh you guys i think this is vegetarian" like they were crazy people.

they all made faces when eating the food too.
boo on them.

ill be glad when the auditions are over. this whole "i really love you i think you're awesome but i didnt pick you" is annoying

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:10 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Yeah, I saw the first episode, haven't seen the second one yet but I have it recorded. I heard about the vegan woman on it today. I thought the first episode was so annoying though, with the not accepting people but not having anything bad to say about their food, but also trying to distinguish between professionals and amateurs and voting based on that. And it seemed like when they couldn't tell what they were eating (like if they didn't know what kind of fish it was) they tended to say no to people, which I thought was dumb. They seemed like they were trying to judge on anything but taste!! But my best friend loves Nigella so that's why we're watching it...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:34 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

LisaPunk wrote:

the one thing i dont understand is why they keep saying no to people and then being like "i made a huge mistake i really want you in my kitchen"

then why did they say no? i dont get it.

They have to vote blind right after they taste it. Yes or no. Then after the person comes out, they have to reveal their vote. It seems that after seeing who the contestant was, or hearing about their experience, the mentors realize they made a mistake. The button they push after the contestant is revealed isn't the vote, it just reveals how they voted after they tasted The Taste.

xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:24 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

I am so positive that they are prepped for when a chef is vegetarian.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:14 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

IsaChandra wrote:
I am so positive that they are prepped for when a chef is vegetarian.

me too.

i mean the raw vegan chef made a dessert. and they were like "oh you guys think this is vegetarian?!?!??!" IT WAS A DESSERT.
i mean it was a raw dessert but it was still a dessert!

i thought they were so dismissive of the vegetarian chefs. ugh.

i mean to be honest im not sure how they would fit into the kitchens if they cant cook meat since im not 100% sure how the show works once they start cooking but i dont even think they were given a chance.

and the raw vegan chef wasnt even like critiqued. rudddddeeee!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:42 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I've been watching but it's not holding my attention. The final contestant was probably the only one I've actually been rooting for, and that's really because the guy she was up against was presented very arrogantly.

The vegans....the commentary by the panel was so immature. Using cashews or coconuts for a creamy-element would have been commended had they not been 'vegetarian', and it's 2013, the panel could mutter the term 'vegan' or 'plant-based'. There was totally a coconut milk soup that was praised later on.
The grits dish sounded intriguing and the most complex of the three, but I wish it had been a bit more going on as a vegan contender. It actually reminded me a Bryant Terry combination I like to make.

I really sit through this show saying "JUST LIKE ON THE VOICE" all. the. time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:52 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

yeah someone after the vegan chefs there was a guy who made some sort of soup/bisque that had chunks of lobster in it and he said he used coconut milk instead of regular milk or cream and they were all like "AMAZING!!!!"

derp

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:57 pm 
Chip Strong

jdfunks wrote:
The grits dish sounded intriguing and the most complex of the three, but I wish it had been a bit more going on as a vegan contender. It actually reminded me a Bryant Terry combination I like to make.

It reminded him, too!

https://twitter.com/bryantterry/status/296813641129402368

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:01 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

It's trading on the concept of The Voice, with boring added in. I only watched the second one because I (mis)heard that a vegan was chosen, but instead they did definitely stage it to make fun of vegans & vegetarians.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:07 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

madeleine.teacup wrote:
jdfunks wrote:

It reminded him, too!

https://twitter.com/bryantterry/status/296813641129402368

whoa! errrr, take it as a compliment when it comes down to it?
I mean, maybe it was entirely by chance, but if it wasn't, I do hope it was well-intended. She could have simply swapped out the fennel for something else and made it her own. At the same time, I will point out that I"m sure other people did not put their own unique take on each and every single dish created throughout the auditions. I mean, they should! But, you know.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:56 pm 
Chip Strong

jdfunks wrote:
I mean, maybe it was entirely by chance, but if it wasn't, I do hope it was well-intended. She could have simply swapped out the fennel for something else and made it her own. At the same time, I will point out that I"m sure other people did not put their own unique take on each and every single dish created throughout the auditions. I mean, they should! But, you know.

I hope so too! And yeah, I know.

His tweet was the first I'd heard of the show, then the thread here popped up for me, so. Apparently I live in a cave! :)

I'm only a half an hour into the first auditions and am curious to see what the ratio of home cooks to professional chefs winds up being!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:38 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Never watched it. But I do love Anthony Bourdain a whole lot. Sorry.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:43 pm 
Nailed to the V

The only cool* part I think is that the judges are totally going to vote people out of their own kitchens on accident. And it's going to be ridiculoussss.

* well not cool, but original compared to everything else out there

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:55 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i hope now that everyone has their teams the show will get more interesting as i agree it's been kinda boring.
i know ill still feel compelled to watch it though even if it is a snooze fest.

i want that Malarkey guy to prove to me that i shouldnt be annoyed by him and his Malarkey name.

also i love Nigella ive decided. i know very little about her but i have decided i love her.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:15 pm 
Chip Strong

LisaPunk wrote:
also i love Nigella ive decided. i know very little about her but i have decided i love her.

I really like that she keeps telling the home cooks not to be embarrassed about being home cooks and not professional chefs. Home cooks are awesome! Home cooks unite!

P.S. I took a knife skills class and my instructor said in a professional kitchen you're expected to dice an onion in less than 10 seconds. Therefore I am pretty sure I would keel over in the first minute in a professional kitchen under a mountain of undiced onions.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:09 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I've actually been surprised by Anthony Bourdain-- softer and gentler than I was expecting, and he encourages everyone--not just his team (unlike Malarkey....he's soooo competitive, it's annoying).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:26 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

what was up with the girl that kept setting paper towels on fire? like 5 times?

just move them??

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:31 pm 
Chip Strong

LisaPunk wrote:
what was up with the girl that kept setting paper towels on fire? like 5 times?

just move them??

Ha! I just finished watching that episode on Hulu! Her messy station was making me very nervous. The guest chef was helping the contestants learn to straighten their work areas, why wouldn't her own mentor help her figure out how to organize a bit rather than just mock her?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:31 pm 
Nailed to the V

I think she was trying to make it look like she was a fool in the kitchen, but didn't she do like really well?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:25 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

kinda like "oh look at me im just a dumb blonde, im not a threat" ? and then WHAMO she kicks everyone's asparagus?

i know she wasnt in the bottom but i dont remember what they specifically said about her food.

i dont like Diane (?), the really egotistical lady. im not down with that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:00 pm 
Chip Strong

LisaPunk wrote:
i dont like Diane (?), the really egotistical lady. im not down with that.

Diane is like a megaprofessional cook! I am maybe giving away how many cooking shows I watch on Hulu,* but she's been on Mission Menu and Chopped, too. I actually really liked her on Mission Menu, but she was also the only woman in the kitchen full of men - it read to me more as confidence and swagger and less as irritating egotism there.

* Hint: lots.