| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Terriers
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:59 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I love it. I can't get enough of it, can't stop posting about it on Facebook. Anyone else watch it? If you didn't care for the first episode, I suggest you watch more - it does take some time to build, but not much. By the third, I was head over heals.

Post subject: Re: Terriers
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:17 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I like it! I think the second episode was the boring one, but the third one is forked up!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:42 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I love it too! I haven't really enjoyed any other new shows, but I got into Terriers immediately after flipping it on randomly last week. Why is it so good? I honestly don't know.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:06 pm 

I see your point about the second. The third was forked up! But pretty original. I was in shock at the end. Each one after that left me in total suspense. The fifth (I think) which I just watched today, was excellent. I was jealous of Brit and Katie at the beginning of it ...

I think they're doing a great job developing the characters and the big arc mystery simultaneously. Donal Logue won me over in Life, but this is really his finest. And I can't get over Michael Raymond-James.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:09 pm 

SandyBadlands wrote:
I love it too! I haven't really enjoyed any other new shows, but I got into Terriers immediately after flipping it on randomly last week. Why is it so good? I honestly don't know.

I know! There's great acting, an evolving story, flawed but likable and complex characters, a realism lacking in mystery shows ... but there's something else too. I don't know what it is!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:21 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

CandyBeans wrote:
SandyBadlands wrote:

I know! There's great acting, an evolving story, flawed but likable and complex characters, a realism lacking in mystery shows ... but there's something else too. I don't know what it is!

I think it's impressive that there's no gimmick—it's just good storytelling. And like you said, they're great at mixing the big plot with the smaller stories and character development. I rewatched last week's episode yesterday, and I realized that the engagement party scene was what originally hooked me, even though it wasn't particularly exciting and I had no idea how anyone was related. How is that possible? I guess it's just more realistic and doesn't hit you over the head with wit and exposition like a lot of shows.

I heard last night's episode was great, but I haven't seen it yet....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:33 am 

SandyBadlands wrote:
I think it's impressive that there's no gimmick—it's just good storytelling.

I heard last night's episode was great, but I haven't seen it yet....

That's probably the biggest thing. So many non-sitcom shows are formulaic. I watch/have watched the majority of the police procedural cannon, and then even shows that I like that break the mold a little bit still have a procedural backbone - Psych, In Plain Sight, and Burn Notice come to mind. They're all entertaining, but there's still the Monster of the Week, and there is the gimmick, even when it's not overwhelming.

Everyone on this show seems like a person.

I think Hulu is a week behind and that's where I watch. So I saw the engagement party, and I loved it. The end had me going nuts because it was such a contrast to the beginning. I can't wait til Thursday!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:18 am 
Lime and a Coconut

I would watch this show for the bulldog alone. It's a good thing the human characters are also interesting!

I am obsessed with imdb'ing everything, so did you guys know that the woman who plays Stephanie is Donal Logue's real sister?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:38 am 

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
I would watch this show for the bulldog alone. It's a good thing the human characters are also interesting!

I am obsessed with imdb'ing everything, so did you guys know that the woman who plays Stephanie is Donal Logue's real sister?

Ha! I am also obsessed with IMDBing. And yes, I just found out when I did for this show. I recognized her from In Plain Sight and was curious, since she played a woman with (I believe) Asperger's. I wondered if she had any sort of history, since her Terriers character is also dealing with issues of brain chemistry.

I also love finding connections between actors, and I was drawn to Terriers because I loved Logue in Life. Then I recognized Michael Raymond-James, as he was a one-time character in the same show. So I get all excited because I imagine them reminiscing about Life, or having met on set and thinking, man we should do a major project together. And I feel like kind of a weird-o admitting to that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:49 am 

Hey, I just read this:
http://www.tvsquad.com/2010/10/20/talki ... ond-james/

I am hoping so hard that they make it to the MD/DC/VA area.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:29 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

This is my favorite new show by far! I read earlier this week that the ratings are pretty horrific and I'll be so bummed if it gets cancelled. It seems like the cable channels have a little more patience than the networks, though, so hopefully they'll give it some time to develop.

I love the theme song almost as much as the show. If anyone knows where I could download it, I'd be most appreciative! I searched iTunes to no avail.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:39 pm 

The fact that FX let Nip/Tuck and Always Sunny go on with some abysmal ratings gives me a lot of hope. Both shows ended up being huge successes for the network. I'm also hopeful as Logue and Raymond-James are so personally invested and have taking to doing publicity for the show.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:03 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

CandyBeans wrote:
The fact that FX let Nip/Tuck and Always Sunny go on with some abysmal ratings gives me a lot of hope. Both shows ended up being huge successes for the network. I'm also hopeful as Logue and Raymond-James are so personally invested and have taking to doing publicity for the show.

These things give me hope too. I just read the article about the tour (I'm so there if they come to NYC), and it's odd that they're so open about being against the name of the show. I understand why it's called that, but I can also see why it doesn't attract the right audience, and I hope enough viewers can see past it.

Not enough dogs in these last few episodes, though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:12 am 

Yeah, I don't understand why they went with that title and it's definitely not what drew me in. But I do understand the reference - kind of. I did expect there to be some more literal dogs around.

And Logue made an interesting point about how it's so misclassified. Hulu has it as a comedy and though I find it clever, I wouldn't watch it for a laugh.

I am super anxious about them coming to my city (or near it) on a night when i can blow off whatever I have. Generally, Tuesdays are the only day I can't bail out of my class because I'm the teacher. But I'm even willing to fake an injury to get out of my weekend work if I have to.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:38 am 

I just watched "Missing Person." I knew I recognized Adam from somewhere. He's been in a lot, but he was in Life, which Donal Logue was in second season. I really like that show, so it's good to see the actors coming back together in Terriers.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:24 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Last night's episode was amazing! I laughed, I cried, I winced. Plus the dog was in it.

I really, really hope FX decides to keep it around!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:10 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

i really love it, it's my favorite new show in ages. so of course it will be cancelled.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:14 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

joanna wrote:
i really love it, it's my favorite new show in ages. so of course it will be cancelled.

Probably!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:13 pm 

I just watched Assunder this morning (which I think is last week's). Man I, like Brit, felt like I needed a drink at the end.

From what I understand, it's teetering on the edge, but there's quite a bit of campaigning going on, so make sure you're watching on Hulu, rating the show and each episode, and forcing your friends, family, and loved ones to do the same.

This show is way too good to get canceled! (Even though being that good is often a death sentence).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:26 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

mrsbadmouth wrote:
joanna wrote:

Probably!

sigh.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:49 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

CandyBeans wrote:
From what I understand, it's teetering on the edge, but there's quite a bit of campaigning going on, so make sure you're watching on Hulu, rating the show and each episode, and forcing your friends, family, and loved ones to do the same.

Ooh, I'm gonna go on a rating spree right now. I hear you can also send a supportive email to user@fxnetworks.com, and they've actually been tallying the feedback they get about Terriers. So let's all do that!

Sure, all my favorite new shows get canceled, but I have a good feeling about this one....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:49 pm 

SandyBadlands wrote:
Ooh, I'm gonna go on a rating spree right now. I hear you can also send a supportive email to user@fxnetworks.com, and they've actually been tallying the feedback they get about Terriers. So let's all do that!

Sure, all my favorite new shows get canceled, but I have a good feeling about this one....

Yes! I heard that too about the email. On it. On all 6 of my accounts!

The good news is that FX has a good record with allowing shows space to grow and they've been rewarded for it - Nip/Tuck had bad ratings for the first two seasons, Always Sunny was tanking ...