| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Band Lottery!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:41 pm 
Saggy Butt

So, I'm here to brag about this amazing thing one of my friends organized that i'm real jazzed about, just in case anyone would be interested in doing such a thing in their hometown. Basically, you either emailed him or showed up at a meeting and put your name in and he pulled out groups of 4 (and one group of 5) and you were just totally randomly assigned a new band. People you know, people you don't know. The participants ranged in musical talent from a trained concert pianist to basement band bassists to comedians, to visual artists, to dancers. Each band has two months to name themselves and put together a 15-20 minute set and then we play a show April 5th. My band includes a hardcore-screamy-shouty-singer, a girl who is a DJ and does electronic/dance type music, a spacey guitar and bass player, and me (I play the saxophone and the flute.) I heard one of the bands has three drummers and a singer.
I'm obviously super excited. We've gotten together two times and just threw ideas around. It's super weird introducing yourself to someone with "Hi, I'm Norelle, we're in a band" and then just getting down to the incredibly intimate world of songwriting.

Anyways. I think this is super cool. And I think you should do this as well. Also if people would like to submit themselves, I can organize one on the board here, but it'll be tricky to organize practices outside of Skype.

Post subject: Re: Band Lottery!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:08 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

This sounds extremely awesome! I can't quite imagine doing it over the internet, but I'm open to being convinced.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:27 am 
Saggy Butt

choirqueer wrote:
I can't quite imagine doing it over the internet, but I'm open to being convinced.

I think they would be make-believe bands.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:41 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

They do something like that as a fundraiser at the Knitting Factory!

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/tag/Rock+Lottery

It sounds like a cool idea. I'm not a musician myself, but it would be cool to see the results on youtube if anyone moves forward with it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:02 pm 
Saggy Butt

OK, so this big performance happened this weekend and I thought I'd share these two items in case anyone cared.
This first video includes the guitar player from my regular band (in the checked shirt). Their entire set was AMAZING, and was about pizza. If you have 16 minutes to spare, i promise you will not regret watching this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWtOXqGj3jk

this next one is half of my band's set:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfpgZqc ... e=youtu.be

it's a little hard to hear because the video was taken from the side of the stage.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:10 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Norelle wrote:
choirqueer wrote:
I can't quite imagine doing it over the internet, but I'm open to being convinced.

I think they would be make-believe bands.

What is a make-believe band? Like...what part of it is make-believe? I'm fascinated by this concept but I'm not sure I have any idea what it is :)