| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The songs your parents gave you
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:36 pm 
Mediocre Tart

So, there was this study recently, that came out of Cornell, talking about the memories that are evoked by music that came out of our parents' younger days and how they are particularly resonant. I was just wondering about people's memories in terms of that.

I for sure have specific memories about my parents' musical tastes. Listening to The Beatles' 'Eleanor Rigby' on Bank Holiday car-trips up North. 'Borrowing' my dad's 7" of Joy Division's 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' and the LP of 'The Smiths'. Oh, and my mum's CD of 'The Immaculate Collection.' And, just yesterday, I was forced to listen to the radio in the hospital and, jeez, they were playing Phil Collins and I remember my mum buying that horrible forking album. And, ohhhhh, Springsteen. Well, some of you know from my dad's Springsteen 'thing.' And mine, as a result.

So, parents' music and the memories you have and the bands of theirs you have gotten into, even if you sulked and moaned against it all when you were a pissed-off teenager. I am curious to know!

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

Post subject: Re: The songs your parents gave you
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:49 pm 
WRETCHED

My mom was a huge (huge huge huge) Beatles fan but it didn't really rub off on me. I like the Beatles and really liked John Lennon but I wouldn't claim to be anywhere near my mom. My mom liked Janis Joplin though which did rub off on me. And we shared some of the same music in the 80s like Madonna and we both still listen to 80s music almost exclusively.

Something that did rub off on me is that I spent a lot of time with my uncle right before he died as I was one of his caretakers. My uncle loved Queen with a passion and I think that is where my love for Queen came from and it helps remind me of the time I had with him.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:58 pm 
Impressive boner

There are so many songs that remind me of my parents in the early 1980s, especially the stuff they used to play in the car. We lived at least an hour away from a big town so I spent a lot of travelsick time in the back seat of a Princess, listening to their music.

'Brothers In Arms' by Dire Straits, 'An Innocent Man' by Billy Joel, 'Sylvia's Mother' by Doctor Hook, all sorts of things by The Carpenters, Queen's first greatest hits album. I was listening to my CD of 'Parallel Lines' by Blondie a couple of days ago, remembering first listening to the vinyl LP when I was under 10 years old. I think they still have it somewhere, amongst my Dad's collection of bagpipe records.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:02 pm 
Dead by dawn

I still have my mom's Abbey Road LP, not that I have owned a turntable in 20 years or so... In the 70s my mom was listening to the Beatles, Peter Frampton, Neil Diamond, and a lot of what started to be called world music later on. I think my musical memories from her, though, are very early 80s Top 40 stuff. It was a weekend tradition for my mom, my sister and I to drive around doing errands (or sometimes just drive around aimlessly) listening to Casey Kasem do America's Top 40 and trying to predict what would be number 1 each week. I don't have much love to spare for Top 40 in general, but the songs from say 1980-1983 conjure up those days.

(My dad's taste in music was absolutely dreadful. He listened to easy listening radio and the stupid tapes of elevator music that Ford used to use to demo car stereos. Every now and then I will hear some horrifying nameless instrumental from 1978 and shudder involuntarily.)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:07 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i can remember arguing with my mom about david bowie once when "modern love" came on in the car. i was all, "why do you even like this guy? this song is terrible and you're both so lame." she said i should try listening to the lyrics, and i said she should try listening to better music, and then i think she said something about understanding when i was older, which was of course the most ridiculous idea ever. david bowie was, like, her favorite person in the world, so even though i was really young and stupid, it probably wasn't an awesome moment for her. i made up for it later (maybe? i hope?) by taking her to see david bowie with me. she was excited when i fell in love with the monkees, because it gave her an excuse to play those records all the time. and we both fell hard for stevie nicks when we were about 20, for whatever reason. i don't remember her playing fleetwood mac ever, but she told me that for a while she was super close to naming me rhiannon.

i don't remember my dad listening to anything in particular--he listened to the radio all the time, like me, and we both listened with our fingers on the scan button, which drove my mom nuts--but i probably stole more music from him and inherited more of his taste and general attitude toward music and bands. i got my first cure, beach boys, and nick drake albums from my dad's stereo cabinet. when i moved to somerville, he told me he used to drive in there all the time to see bands and had seen nick drake and jim carroll at the same divey club in davis square (not on the same night). he still asks me about music sometimes. i brought a grizzly bear cd home a few years ago when i visited, and he was so into it! and i know he listens to that eddie vedder ukelele album all the time.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:21 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

My parents had a big, diverse record collection that they hardly ever played anything from (I think our turntable broke?), so my music memories of them are mostly from when CDs came out. I think they owned maybe five discs: B.B. King (my mom's all-time number one music act since she was like 14), Aretha Franklin, Bonnie Raitt, Eric Clapton and some random CD of calypso music. Soundtrack of my childhood.

In general, 60s soul music and blues remind me of my mom and Merle Haggard reminds me of my dad. My dad would also listen to this awful, plinky jazz whenever he was driving us back from somewhere late at night and it drove me nuts.

Oh, and I hate James Taylor because of my mom. Well, maybe I'd hate him anyway but she didn't help his case any. She and I drove cross country when I was 13 or 14 and the only CDs she brought were a James Taylor greatest hits album and this weird meditation music she got from the library that was recordings of brain waves with a background of sort of ambient synthesizer music. Torture! The song Copperline still makes me want to stab something.

Last edited by Pinko on Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:25 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

This thread is making me feel very old - I share a lot of your parents' taste in music.

My parents were teenagers in the 50s, but I only remember them listening to a lot of country music and polka music when I was young....? My dad did go see Eric Clapton with me in '85 and really enjoyed it, until someone urinated on the ground behind us - not so cool.
My musical tastes have really broadened as I've aged. As a teenager it was rock, pop, classical and folk only. Now I like everything from jazz/swing (my current favourite), disco and to some country even. I will never like polka music- my apologies to accordion players everywhere.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:26 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Talking Heads' Little Creatures is probably the biggest music influence I got from my parents. I love Talking Heads and David Byrne, like religiously.
In the car, we mostly listened to generic classic rock radio, but The Traveling Wilburys and Eric Clapton's Unplugged cassettes were in heavy rotation for a long time. I thought the acoustic version of "Layla" was the song. I still prefer it! A few years ago I did put both those albums on my itunes.
Diana Ross and The Supremes = Sunday mornings with Dad, doing the dishes after breakfast.
Negative music memories include: The Judds, Bonnie Raitt, and Robert Palmer (goddamit I hated that Robert Palmer tape), that River of Dreams Billy Joel album. UGH MOM!

Mediocre Tart

Oh man, I just remembered when my dad got a cd player for the first time. And he bought 5 CD albums to go with it: Erasure, Michael Jackson, Fleetwood Mac, Kate Bush, and Dire Straits.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

rowdily playing checkers

My mom didn't listen to anything but classical music, and didn't actually like any classical music except for Mozart. I don't associate Mozart with my mom, though, for whatever reason. I think she bought a Neil Diamond tape at some point, but I never heard her listen to it.

My dad, I associate primarily with dad jazz. Like, Cleo Lane, and Claude Bolling, and lots of Such-and-such Jazz Quartets. You know--dad jazz. He also had a few Harry Chapin records, during the divorce rock era. I still remember most of those songs. I still even like some of them, even though they are objectively bad.

Anyway, my parents have terrible taste in music.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:33 pm 
WRETCHED

I remember distinctly having an 8-track player and I remember most of the 8-tracks I liked were Janis Joplin so I'd keep putting them in. My mom had a record player as well but we used the 8-track most often.

Dr Bronners, MD

My mom sang a lot of Jean Richie and other folk music to us. There was this one Trapezoid song about walking in the garden at twilight with Jesus that I really liked, plus a lot of macabre songs about people cutting their lovers heads off and coal miners dying. On a less depressing note, my dad imparted ALL of the Beatles onto me, but most importantly Eleanor Rigby and Rocky Raccoon. All throughout my childhood and into high school, he and I would request Jefferson Starship's 'Nothin's Gonna Stop Us', and still when either one of us randomly hears it we text each other. If I ever have a wedding reception, we'll probably dance to that one.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

My parents only listened to classical and jazz, too. Well, and Klezmer music since my mom has a Klezmer band. Oh and The Beatles. So, I had to get into other types of music on my own. I guess I mostly associate Bach (especially goldberg variations and and Bill Evans with my dad and then a lot of opera and show tunes with my mom since she's a singer/actress.

This was my Dad's favorite piece. He used to play it all the time until he had a midlife crisis and started only playing Jazz! Anyway, I can't listen to it for too long because it makes me cry, but I think it's really beautiful. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx_T1wLL4Z0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:35 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Just remembered on the classical side, my dad always listened to Smetana's 'The Moldau' which is one of the most moving pieces of music I've ever heard.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:40 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I love James Taylor and I love plinky jazz! Now I feel very old indeed. One of my brother's first cars had an 8-track player, and at the time it seemed so fashionable to me.

eta c'mon, anyone else over 40?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:01 pm 
Mediocre Tart

acr wrote:
i can remember arguing with my mom about david bowie once.
Ha, I remember arguing with my dad about Bowie for very different reasons. Like, because my dad thought Bowie was "a forking poof". But since 2002 he has bought me a Bowie album for every birthday that has been near a release date.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:18 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

bridging generations! mending rifts! nothing bowie can't fix.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:25 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Dancing in the Street with Jagger will fix all shiitake!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:37 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

oh! the last time my parents were here i had some spotify station playing in my living room, and a velvet underground song came on, and my dad said, "oh, is this--?" and named the album it was from, which i couldn't have done. there was no velvet underground in my house! i was introduced to lou reed by marky mark. my parents probably have so many layers of coolness that i'll never even know about.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:59 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Marky Mark and his Funky Bunch? I'm trying to picture him posing in Calvins while miming to 'Sister Ray'

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:04 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

wildside! but your thing is better.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:12 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

my parents never listened to music but i raided their record collection. I used to sneak listens to Jimi Hendrix, the Grateful Dead, and the Doors. I do occasionally hear 70s music and soul stuff (as well as Bing Crosby Christmas stuff) and it makes me remember being a little kid.
we had a very fun time purposefully exposing my kid to music. I firmly believe that They Might be Giants, David Bowie, the Beatles, and the Rolling Stones are vital to child development.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:30 pm 
Married to the wolfman

One of the best things my parents ever did for me was play their music around me. I never understand why people think kids want to listen to "children's music" (which, sorry, is mostly horrible) and I suppose neither did my parents.

One of my earliest memories is of dancing and singing along to Rebel Rebel by David Bowie with my dad. It was at my uncle's house, and based on where he lived at the time, I can date this to age 3 or 4. I just remember how freaking happy my dad looked... he's not really known for his exuberance and cheer, but when he's singing along to something he likes, he really just lights up and I guess that must be my first memory of that.

Ah jeez, I just teared up a little writing a PPK post.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:34 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

My dad listened to a lot of Queen, Led Zeppelin, and Tom Petty. I don't know if he ever owned a cassette so after records and record players went into decline he just had like...nothing in particular. Just radio. I still don't think he has like...a single CD. He just got the Internet this year is he probably doesn't know about mp3s. So when I think of his musical tastes all I know are the songs he turned up the loudest when they came on the radio. And I remember him singing that line about holding on to 16 as long as you can from Jack and Diane by John Mellencamp to me when I turned 16 and I asked how long he'd been waiting to do that and he said 16 years.

My mom was really into Peter Frampton. Like really. Like belieber status. And Rod Stewart - which is a great source of jokes. The only CDs of hers that I ever stole to play in my room were Alanis Morrissette and Seal. Because who doesn't like Seal? It must run in the family.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:05 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Helen reddy, Joan Baez, Simon and garfunkel, the Kingston trio, Diana Ross, Carole king. Lots of folk, lots of female singer songwriters. And I still love and listen to them!