Post Punk Kitchen Forum
http://forum.theppk.com/

Favorite horror movies!!
http://forum.theppk.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25884
Page 1 of 2

Author:  booberthefraggle [ Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Favorite horror movies!!

I searched and couldn't find a thread like this, but what are y'alls favorite horror movies??

Author:  8ball [ Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Favorite horror movies!!

30 Days Of Night, Rec, Ring, Dawn of the Dead (Zack Snyder), The Thing (John Carpenter), Session 9, The Shining, Dog Soldiers, The Fog, The Devil Rides Out.

There are masses more that I can't think of at the moment.

Author:  madeleine.teacup [ Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Favorite horror movies!!

I love this! My poor sweetheart who is not a horror movie fan suffers every October - when I watch nothing but horror movies. I like a lot of horror movies (and maybe have a pretty broad definition of horror) so narrowing down my favorites is hard!

Off the top of my head, I really love:

Company of Wolves (more fantastic horror than, say, a slasher movie)
Trick'r'Treat (criminally underrated)
House of the Devil
Tale of Two Sisters
El Espinazo del Diablo
Ginger Snaps (all three!)
Dumplings
Rosemary's Baby
Don't Look Now

Author:  madeleine.teacup [ Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Favorite horror movies!!

8ball wrote:
The Thing (John Carpenter)


Ooo, yes, I love The Thing! I kind of feel like it's two movies: one, the creeping quiet horror movie that I love and two, this crazy movie where I forgot about all these special effects, every. single. time.

Did you see the prequel? Disclaimer: I hated it.

Author:  8ball [ Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Favorite horror movies!!

madeleine.teacup wrote:
8ball wrote:
The Thing (John Carpenter)


Ooo, yes, I love The Thing! I kind of feel like it's two movies: one, the creeping quiet horror movie that I love and two, this crazy movie where I forgot about all these special effects, every. single. time.

Did you see the prequel? Disclaimer: I hated it.


Yes, I thought it was ok but I didn't feel that it was in period at all. I wonder if there are now plans for a sequel concerning the Russian base. I love the sense of claustrophobia and paranoia in the John Carpenter film!

Author:  njak [ Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Favorite horror movies!!

I guess some of may be iffy as to whether they're really horror, but here are some of my favorites:
Sauna
Crawlspace
An American Werewolf in London
Dead Snow
Tucker and Dale vs Evil (more of a comedy, I guess)
Ravenous
Rare Exports (it's listed under horror, but it's a Christmas tradition here)
Trick 'r Treat
Troll Hunter

Author:  Chicki [ Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Favorite horror movies!!

Horror is my favorite genre

My fav of my fav is the evil dead. And army of darkness.

This is my BOOMstick!

Author:  Pyewacket [ Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Favorite horror movies!!

John Carpenter's The Thing
Halloween
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
In the Mouth of Madness
El espinazo del diablo (The Devil's Backbone)
Los ojos de Julia (Julia's Eyes)
Trick 'r Treat
Let The Right One In
[REC]
Werckmeister Harmóniák (Werckmeister Harmonies)
Janghwa, Hongryeon (A Tale of Two Sisters)
Bakjwi (Thirst)
Gwoemul (The Host)
Shutter (Shutter kot tit win yaan)
30 Days of Night
28 Days Later
Attack the Block
Zombieland
Alien
Aliens
Re-Animator
Ringu
Ju-on
Marebito
Noroi (The Curse)
Pet Sematary
1408
The Crazies
The Descent
Dance of the Dead
Infestation
Dark Water (Honogurai mizu no soko kara)
Suspiria
Slither
The Eye (Jiàn Guǐ)
Eko Eko Azarak (the first one in particular, but the whole series is good)
Ab-normal Beauty (Sei mong se jun)
Uzumaki (Spiral)
Diary (Mon seung)
Kairo (Pulse)

Author:  mrsbadmouth [ Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Favorite horror movies!!

Anything with Katherine Heigl.

Author:  Tenacious LD [ Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Favorite horror movies!!

Evil Dead II for pure awesomeness, and Dead Alive for super gore!

The Devil's Backbone, Pan's Labyrinth, The Orphanage, etc for sinister creepiness. Let the Right One In- both the original AND the remake are fantastically scary.

Halloween, The Shining, Children of the Corn & Damien et al. for movies that scared the crepe out of me as a kid.

Apocalyptic fave's- 28 Day's Later, Zombieland, The Road (mostly because it was so realistic)..I know I'm forgetting a bunch. I love apocalyptic horror movies.

Author:  Limone [ Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Favorite horror movies!!

Pyewacket wrote:
John Carpenter's The Thing
Halloween
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
In the Mouth of Madness
El espinazo del diablo (The Devil's Backbone)
Los ojos de Julia (Julia's Eyes)
Trick 'r Treat
Let The Right One In
[REC]
Werckmeister Harmóniák (Werckmeister Harmonies)
Janghwa, Hongryeon (A Tale of Two Sisters)
Bakjwi (Thirst)
Gwoemul (The Host)
Shutter (Shutter kot tit win yaan)
30 Days of Night
28 Days Later
Attack the Block
Zombieland
Alien
Aliens
Re-Animator
Ringu
Ju-on
Marebito
Noroi (The Curse)
Pet Sematary
1408
The Crazies
The Descent
Dance of the Dead
Infestation
Dark Water (Honogurai mizu no soko kara)
Suspiria
Slither
The Eye (Jiàn Guǐ)
Eko Eko Azarak (the first one in particular, but the whole series is good)
Ab-normal Beauty (Sei mong se jun)
Uzumaki (Spiral)
Diary (Mon seung)
Kairo (Pulse)

This is a great list. Add Basket Case (soooo cheesy but special) and you're golden!

Author:  madeleine.teacup [ Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Favorite horror movies!!

Tenacious LD wrote:
Pan's Labyrinth, The Orphanage, etc for sinister creepiness.


Ooo, yes. I love both of those!

Tenacious LD wrote:
Let the Right One In- both the original AND the remake are fantastically scary.


Yes! But two really different movies, down to the title choices.

I went on a "lands of ice and snow horror" movie binge last year that included:

Let the Right One In
Let Me In
The Thing (another favorite)
Frostbitten
30 Days of Night
Dead Snow (horrible)

and some others that I can't remember right now but it was a surprisingly easy theme to populate.

Author:  madeleine.teacup [ Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Favorite horror movies!!

I also forgot:

May
The Woods

by the same director, Lucky McKee. I also love both of these movies! I promise not to keep posting one or two movies at a time.

Roman is a good companion piece to May, and does have a very charming Kristen Bell. They're both more sad-scary than THE CALL IS COMING FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE* scary; I find May to be the better movie.

*I guess they remade Black Christmas?

Author:  Pyewacket [ Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Favorite horror movies!!

Limone wrote:
This is a great list. Add Basket Case (soooo cheesy but special) and you're golden!


Yay for cheesy movie goodness! I'll have to check that one out, it sounds great. Also, looking at the IMDB synopsis for Basket Case made me remember (although it's really nothing like that movie) the Thai horror movie Fad (lit. Twin; English title: Alone).

I also thought of Hausu (House). Freaky weird wonderful movie. And that reminded me of Gozu (Gokudō kyōfu dai-gekijō: Gozu -- Yakuza Horror Theatre: Gozu). Gozu literally means ox head, and refers to gozumezu, ox-head and horse-face demons of the underworld (niú tóu and mǎ miàn in Chinese mythology).

Author:  Limone [ Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:09 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Favorite horror movies!!

Yes, Hausu is awesome! I've never seen Gozu or Fad, but I'll have to check them out.

There are also a couple of sequels to Basket Case, but I've never seen either of them so I have no idea if they're awesome or awesomely bad or just bad.

Author:  njak [ Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:11 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Favorite horror movies!!

I watched Sinister last night, because I heard it was "the most scary movie ever!". It was sooooo boring and predictable and stupid and not scary at all. I was very disappointed.

Author:  Pyewacket [ Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Favorite horror movies!!

Limone wrote:
Yes, Hausu is awesome! I've never seen Gozu or Fad, but I'll have to check them out.

There are also a couple of sequels to Basket Case, but I've never seen either of them so I have no idea if they're awesome or awesomely bad or just bad.


Fad is very good. The same directors who did Shutter, Banjong Pisanthanakun and Parkpoom Wongpoom. Gozu is ... well, it's Miike. The director of Audition, Ichi the Killer, Happiness of the Katakuris, Dead or Alive, The Great Yokai War, Sukiyaki Western Django. Gozu is bizarre even by Miike standards.

Author:  brian [ Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Favorite horror movies!!

The Thing
Evil Dead
Event Horizon
House of 1000 Corpses
Hellraiser
Alien

Does The Fly (1986) count? If so, The Fly.

Author:  Limone [ Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Favorite horror movies!!

Pyewacket wrote:
Gozu is bizarre even by Miike standards.

Well, now I'm extra-intrigued! I'll put on my cringe-pants.

Author:  Erinnerung [ Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Favorite horror movies!!

madeleine.teacup wrote:
Dead Snow (horrible)


No, I will have none of this! Dead Snow was great. I went to see it with some friends, none of us knowing anything about it other than 'Nazi zombies', and after the initial sense of 'what the fork is happening', it was an awesome time.

Author:  mumbles [ Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Favorite horror movies!!

Teen Wolf, Teen Wolf Too.

Author:  madeleine.teacup [ Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Favorite horror movies!!

Erinnerung wrote:
madeleine.teacup wrote:
Dead Snow (horrible)


No, I will have none of this! Dead Snow was great. I went to see it with some friends, none of us knowing anything about it other than 'Nazi zombies', and after the initial sense of 'what the fork is happening', it was an awesome time.


Ahhaha, well, I did really like Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters , so there's that.

What's the ideal follow-up to Dead Snow in a double feature?

Author:  madeleine.teacup [ Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Favorite horror movies!!

Limone wrote:
Pyewacket wrote:
Gozu is bizarre even by Miike standards.

Well, now I'm extra-intrigued! I'll put on my cringe-pants.


I kind of feel like you need a whole cringe-suit for Gozu, but it's got some stuff in it I'm weirdly sensitive to!

Author:  Limone [ Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Favorite horror movies!!

Well, they're really more like cringe-snowpants. Y'know, to add a layer of padding between you and the really disturbing stuff.

Anyway, thinking of horror films that won't give you nightmares for years, I noticed recently that "The Stuff" is on Netflix streaming.

Author:  missmuffcake [ Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Favorite horror movies!!

Return of the Living Dead!

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/