| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Women and Comics
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:15 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

booberthefraggle wrote:
oh how have I missed this thread!

people I really like, who haven't been mentioned: Faith Erin Hicks, Lucy Knisely, Nicole J Georges, Lynda Barry, (100 demons), Erica Moen, and if we go slightly off topic in to animation: Natasha Allegri, who is responsible for Bee and Puppycat, and was also responsible for the character design on the gender-swapped episode of adventure time!

I believe natasha allegri did the fionna and cake comic books, too, so not off topic at all!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:32 pm 
Saggy Butt

I've just got into As The Crow Flies, a webcomic by Melanie Gillman: http://www.melaniegillman.com

Quote:
As the Crow Flies is a story about Charlie — a queer 13 year old girl who finds herself stranded in a dangerous place: an all-white Christian youth backpacking camp. It updates Mondays and Fridays.

On average, 1.33 colored pencils are sharpened into oblivion per page.

"Your mother was a superstitious hamster, and your father smelled of elderberry (right before he died of an untreated infection). Now go away, before we taunt you with your credulous magical thinking a second time!" - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:50 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

These are not all by women but it's a good list for searching out web comics.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:01 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Too lazy to start another thread... but!
DC is moving to Burbank. Apparently Bleeding Cool broke the story before DC had a chance to tell all of their employees.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

bisque did an article about three new series...
http://bitchmagazine.org/post/three-new ... tty-deadly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:47 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Bumping this thread, because it seems like DC and Marvel are seriously competing for female readers now.

First DC announces they are sort of abandoning The New 52 and cancelling more than half their books. 24 will remain, and 24 will be added. While there isn't a ton of female led books, there does seem to be an increase in female creators and also creators of color: http://www.themarysue.com/dc-comics-ann ... se-lineup/ I am definitely picking up Black Canary, that art looks fantastic. Sadly, Wonder Woman's book has been kinda sexist since the New 52 (well, the Amazons are written as baby killing Feminazis, so yeah, the book has actually been really sexist) and it has been getting worse since the new creators took over, so I'm really disappointed it doesn't seem like she's being retconned.

Not to be outdone, Marvel announced a new team book with ALL THE FEMALE HEROES: http://www.themarysue.com/marvel-announcement-a-force/ And it's written by G. Willow Wilson and Marguerite K. Bennett. Wilson writes Ms. Marvel, which I consider the best superhero comic going on right now, hands down.

It's just kinda cool, looking back on how bleak it looked at Marvel and DC when this thread started, and now that Thor and Ms. Marvel have been successful, it's like the floodgates have opened.

The Themysciran - my geek blog

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:48 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

The New 52 WW was so disappointing. And perplexing. (Amazons are still immortal, why do they need to "visit" sailors if they're so insular and have a pretty stable population?) I have been hearing great things about Sensation Comics, however.

So excited about A-Force! Ahhh, Nico Minoru! Ms. Marvel is amazing and I love Marguerite Bennett from her work on the Sleepy Hollow comic (seriously enjoying that more than the show at this point). Marvel's new Squirrel Girl series has also been great so far.

These are my favorite books with female teams:
Rat Queens is AMAZING. Diverse, profane ladies in a classic fantasy setting? Sign me up!
•I'm waiting for the trade with Lumberjanes, but I love it.
bisque Planet (by the incomparable Kelly Sue DeConnick) is a sci-fi feminist send-up of those women-in-prison exploitation movies. Only two issues out so far, but I'm thinking there will be some great intersectional stuff and the back matter contains feminist essays.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:29 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

The New 52 could have been great, some characters with really confusing origins needed to be simplified and reintroduced, like Supergirl. In the beginning of the New 52, her book was amazing. I really hated in the old continuity that she was made evil so they could retcon her being stronger than Clark; they had him beat her up because she was just always a hysterical girl while he always wisely "held back" his power, so he was stronger than her all along. And in the first few issues of the new Supergirl, they once again confirmed that she was stronger. And then went off having adventures with friends and adjusting to life on Earth. It was great! Until the first crossover event, where of course she had to be taken in by the bad guy, then the creative team changed and she was once again reduced to being the angry, hysterical girl, then a Red Lantern for some reason. Oy.

I just feel bad for Wonder Woman. I think she is losing relevance for female fans; when I started reading comics, she breathed feminism. Almost every trade I read had SOME reference to women's rights. Now she's crying a lot, while holding teddy bears, because she's a queen and a superhero and she just can't have it all. Sensation Comics is FANTASTIC, and there are some really amazing stories there, but DC barely promotes it and it has had some truly godawful covers that I think must have come out of a variant cover rejection bin. Now that there's a lot of feminist books coming out and selling like crazy, her's should be riding that wave too, but it isn't. They like her being a violent shrew who needs Superman to lecture her about compassion, I guess.

I am also excited for A-Force! I was so sad when She-Hulk got cancelled, but getting a chance for Wilson and Bennett to write her consoles me quite a bit. And there are soooo many great heroes in that cover. AND apparently Ms. Marvel and Captain Marvel finally meet in Secret Wars, which with A-Force finally got me interested in an event.

Right now I'm pulling Storm, Thor, Ms. Marvel, Captain Marvel, The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Lumberjanes, Sensation Comics and Catwoman. I also recently picked up bisque Planet and Angela: Assassin of Asgard. I'm excited to start Angela, if what I heard was true the book has the first superpowered trans character at Marvel. I'm reading Rat Queens in trade, but I did get the recent Braga issue.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:46 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Lumberjanes is... just... one of my favorite things in the world. In the whole world. I am so in love with it. It's totally one of those things that you find and it makes your head explode with goodness and you're totally smitten and you just want to talk about it all the time so that everyone knows how amazing it is and how it inspires so many run-on sentences and exclamation points!!! Yeah.

I'm reading Ms. Marvel, too. And waiting impatiently for more Princeless. And working through the Spera and Ascension of the Starless books I picked up after Christmas. And Buffy, because I can't quit it. I picked up the first issue of Fight Like a Girl, but I haven't read it yet. Has anyone here? I was eying bisque Planet, too, but I'm wary of triggery violence. We were just saying that we should get into Rat Queens, and I really want to pick up The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, too. And the preview for Giant Days at the end of the newest Lumberjanes has me intrigued...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:13 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I heard of Fight Like A Girl, but haven't read it yet! Also, if triggery violence is an issue, just a warning that Rat Queens is very violent, though as far as I read I can't recall any gendered violence/sexual assault. When I read BP I'll report back if it is an issue.

If you like Lumberjanes, I think you'll really like Squirrel Girl. It is also all ages and it's just so funny. I got my old roommate (who used to say she hated comics) into Lumberjanes, and Squirrel Girl is what finally got her to make a pull list at the comic book store; it sold out super fast! And yeah, Giant Days seems intriguing. It kinda reminds me of of a webcomic I used to read aaaaages ago, and I don't remember the name D:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:49 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Shy Mox wrote:
...Giant Days seems intriguing. It kinda reminds me of of a webcomic I used to read aaaaages ago, and I don't remember the name D:

Is this Giant Days by Lissa Treiman and John Allison? If so, the characters were originally from Allison's Scarygoround.

"I accept all cakes with open arms." - Rebekah

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:13 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

dropscone wrote:
Shy Mox wrote:
...Giant Days seems intriguing. It kinda reminds me of of a webcomic I used to read aaaaages ago, and I don't remember the name D:

Is this Giant Days by Lissa Treiman and John Allison? If so, the characters were originally from Allison's Scarygoround.

That's it! I haven't read it in like 10 years >.<

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:11 am 
Saggy Butt

I really need to catch up on Rat Queens! Two of my roommates love it, and I think I saw the writer at ECCC last year in one of the most hilarious panels all weekend.

I'm so, so, so excited for the A-Force. I'm stoked that America Chavez is getting more things to do. And Pixie was kind of my into to comics (a Pixie-centric Free Comic Book Day issue was the first mainstream western comic I ever read).