| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Next Food Network Star
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:08 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Seems more like Next Real Housewives! What is with the crazy drama?

Post subject: Re: Next Food Network Star
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:27 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Howie was a good start, but now Penny has to go.

Ever since someone pointed out that Bob Tuschman looks like Kermit, I have trouble taking him seriously.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:37 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

LOL - there was a lot of drama. I love this show though!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:12 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I feel like there are waaay too many crassholes on this season. I hate Penny. HATE. When she was doing that buzzer sound when Alicia was trying to practice her promo, I was getting really pissed off. She has no legitimate reason to hate Alicia. Also, it peas me off that they were calling her an "empowered woman." Really? How empowered can you be when you relish tearing more fragile women down? It was gross.

So glad Howie was booted. He annoyed the shiitake outta me. Jyll should have been booted for fetching him shiitake and forgetting she was in the competition too.

I kinda like Vic. I think he's had bad luck, but I think he has what it takes. Orchid is another favorite. She is just so comfortable and it looks effortless.

Chris is like the dudebro from hell! I was cringing with that "What's up? What's up? What's up?" and beer business.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:50 pm 

I agree with all that, Orchid is my clear favorite by about 10 miles.

As far as calling Penny an empowered woman, I think they don't see the whole picture, and I think that is a fault of the show. If someone is sabotaging other contestants (or trying to) it should be a part of the competition. Fair play! Why does the audience get to see and judges don't? It reminds me of how in wrestling when the ref looks away, another wrestlers gets slammed in the head with a chair and the ref pretends not to see it. If they got the whole picture, I think they'd see schoolyard bully, not empowered woman. Empowered women stick together.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:58 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I was wondering if the judges get to see the rest of the footage. I know reality shows are always edited to portray a certain story, but when somebody is just awful, and/or lying - eek. If they don't see it, I wonder if they ever look at the completed show and regret their decisions. My favorite line was when Penny was called out about the "bringing sexy back" angle and she said something about "you can be sexy with stilettos in the kitchen with your kids" Yes I want parents teaching their kids about cooking because it is something sexy. Oh and that frat boy is terrible.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:00 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

I tried to watch but they bugged the hell out of me and I deleted it.

Where the heck is Aarti Party?

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:53 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

okay wow, old post! hubby & i don't even have tv to watch the episodes of whoever wins, but we still watch the next food network star online either through free hulu or the FN site directly. the new season just started and while she is definitely not vegan, i'm very interested in the female contestant who's food point of view is "semi vegetarian with meat on the side." i'm not thrilled about the meat on the side part, but i'm glad that this pro-veggie gal is able to use food network to spread the news that veggies are yummy and can be the star of your plate.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:55 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I like her too - I just hope they give her the opportunity to show that viewpoint. Next week's burger challenge certainly won't be it, unless she does a veggie burger.

I do NOT like Denushka (sp?). I can't believe they kept her. She just seems so cold and above everyone else (in her own mind) that I can't imagine anyone wanting to watch her show.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:36 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i totally agree! denusshka was way weird and aloof. i felt so bad for that other gal :(

i must have missed the part about next week being a burger challenge. i certainly hope veggie gal makes a veggie burger, i mean she's got to, her POV is the meat is on the side, so i better be seeing some kind of awesome plant-based burger!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:13 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

appifanie wrote:

Where the heck is Aarti Party?

Doing random shows & guest spots on the other channel. The only person who has won/made anything big has been Guy. I love Guy though...

OMG - Denusshka -a subtler Paris Hilton?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:35 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

oh missmuffcake, i have to admit that guy drives me crazy now. hubby & i used to watch diners drive ins and dives, and we really liked it, but guy's personality just got, at least to us, just so annoying and his catch phrases and words got annoying. other food network big big stars have started to get annoying too, but i guess that is the price of crazy popular fame, you become too much of a household name or too everywhere 24/7 and it gets annoying.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:54 pm 

I liked Arti till she started calling her meat she & him...ick.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:32 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Guy Fieri - anyone who wears their sunglasses on the back of their head is not to be trusted. Just one of my life rules. But I still like "triple D" and will watch on occasion.

Aarti Party - I like her show!! I didn't know about her naming her meats. That is a bit offputting.

Denushka (sp) - I think her show would be absolutely awful, but I'm sort of amused by her, I will admit. I think because she's so dry and sarcastic. I don't know, I haven't quite made up my mind.

Nicki - This was a disagreement in my household last night. My husband thinks her POV about being semi-veggie is a good one. I disagree. I sort of think that she'll appeal to no one because omni's want meat and vegetarians want no meat. His argument is that meat eaters might want more veggie ideas. Maybe that's valid. However I think she needs to pick a side. In real life, maybe this mindsight is conceptually appealing to an omni but I think as a show, no one will watch. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:19 pm 

emmalv wrote:

Nicki - This was a disagreement in my household last night. My husband thinks her POV about being semi-veggie is a good one. I disagree. I sort of think that she'll appeal to no one because omni's want meat and vegetarians want no meat. His argument is that meat eaters might want more veggie ideas. Maybe that's valid. However I think she needs to pick a side. In real life, maybe this mindsight is conceptually appealing to an omni but I think as a show, no one will watch. Thoughts?

Well, there is the whole meatless Monday group....but if she adds a bit of meat to everything (like the bacon in the first ep.) I do not see how it will work.

I am trying to think of the past winners. None of the shows really stick out or they seem to get axed right away. The Sandwich King comes to mind - cool concept but Jeff is a bit too much without being enough if that makes sense? I only saw one episode of his $24 in 24, cool idea but what happened to it?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:42 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

missmuffcake wrote:
Well, there is the whole meatless Monday group....but if she adds a bit of meat to everything (like the bacon in the first ep.) I do not see how it will work.

I think this is dead-on. If she make strictly veggie dishes, even if there are some meaty dishes in the same episode, I'd be all about watching. But if it's primarily veggie with meat flavorings, then no.

Sandwich King guy is REALLY annoying to me. I didn't like him on the Challenge, and I don't like him on his show. He reads as total douchebag. He very well may not be in real life, but that's what I see on tv.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:28 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Good point about the Meatless Monday angle. I guess I just don't appreciate this "I'm all about the veggies but golly, we need to throw some meat in."

I didn't care for the Sandwich King either, even during the show. I wonder what happened to that Justin kid who won last year? Alton's boy who had the science-y aspect? I'd probably give his show a shot - it seems like it be more unique than a run of the mill Rachel Ray type show.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:44 pm 

Yeah, I don't know anyone who cooks like that. Throwing veggies into a hamburger? People who are interested in veggies just eat a veggie burger now and then. "Semi-vegetarian" has somewhat of a definition, and hers isn't it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:31 pm 
WELFARIST!

I'm semi-watching this show and wonder too about the veggie-meat girl. I mean, I can understand sitting on your couch coming up with the concept and thinking you might be on to something but in practice, I don't see it working, I don't see it developing any sort of long-term following.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:36 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

See, I knew the PPK would take my side :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:07 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

sigh, no longer rooting for veggie girl. um didn't anyone tell her that if her POV is meat on the side that there should be no #$#!%@#^ meat in her veggie burger.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:35 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

my brain exploded. how did denushka survive TWO potential eliminations?? she's wretched.

Dear Nora: My cat's advice column (really)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:44 pm 

takecare wrote:
my brain exploded. how did denushka survive TWO potential eliminations?? she's wretched.

I guess so that we can watch the trainwreck because this show is total BS?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:00 am 

IsaChandra wrote:
I guess so that we can watch the trainwreck because this show is total BS?

I could not agree more. Whenever she comes on I am like seriously? She is there for us to hate, that is all.

I felt bad for Andres, I can totally understand why he did not want to push the weight loss angle. It is a touchy subject for some of us. I think he could have did a healthier eating for novice cooks angle or something.

I really do not like Lovely. She reminds me of the snooty sales girls at the makeup counter that call you 'sweetie' and try to sell you crepe you do not need.

I usually want to veganize burgers from a challenge but this challenge was a no go...besides some ideas I already had in my mind like using soyrizo in the mix.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:10 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

missmuffcake wrote:
I felt bad for Andres, I can totally understand why he did not want to push the weight loss angle. It is a touchy subject for some of us. I think he could have did a healthier eating for novice cooks angle or something.

They did this to someone last season too. Whoever it was had a different angle (that admittedly could have used a little refining) but they were basically like "That's the story we want. If you can't play that up, we won't give you a show"

Dear Nora: My cat's advice column (really)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next