| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BBC Radio 4
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:42 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Some great radio dramas, docs and comedies.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4extra/programmes/a-z

or by genre

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/categories

some really great classic ghost stories and fantasy there. Hope you enjoy.

Also, http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p015s76r

Post subject: Re: BBC Radio 4
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:47 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I love Radio 4 :) I download the Friday Night Comedy, Comedy of the Week and Documentary of the Week programmes on iTunes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:36 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

And don't forget The Archers! I love The Archers.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:21 pm 

jogirl wrote:
And don't forget The Archers! I love The Archers.

and tonight's episode was particularly dramatic (or melodramatic - like most people who listen to the programme, I have a love/hate relationship with it)!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:23 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I've always wanted to listen to the Archers since I always see it mentioned in British novels. Can you just start listening at the current episode and pick it up, do you think?

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:46 pm 

Quarantined wrote:
I've always wanted to listen to the Archers since I always see it mentioned in British novels. Can you just start listening at the current episode and pick it up, do you think?

Absolutely! It might take you a week or two to work out who everybody is, but you will soon get the hang of it! That's one of the good things about it - if you miss an episode here or there you can soon catch up (naysayers will say this is because nothing much ever happens). If you want to do a bit of research first (ha) Wikipedia has a pretty good outline of characters (complete with family trees!). And if you get into it and want to know more of the "history", you could always invest in this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Whos-Who-The-Ar ... 088&sr=8-1

I tend to listen to the nightly episodes, but there is an omnibus version on Sundays as well.

A word of warning: it is definitely a love it or loathe it kind of programme. As you can perhaps tell, I am slightly obsessed, but an awful lot of people find it truly awful!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:05 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Thank you! I will give it a listen later tonight. And will check out the Wikipedia page, that's a good idea.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:52 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Any love out there for Radio 4 Extra? I was just tweeting about Elvenquest (mostly because I have a crush on Stephen Mangan.)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:49 pm 

Kitten the Destroyer wrote:
Any love out there for Radio 4 Extra? I was just tweeting about Elvenquest (mostly because I have a crush on Stephen Mangan.)

I think Neil Gaiman is doing his Neverwhere radio series there in 30 minute eps.

Ooh, and Lovecraft too. http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4extra/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:21 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Yes, it starts on the 16th!

I think I have heard the radio production of At the Mountains of Madness, like, three times now. Still good, but what's with Richard Coyle being the default Lovecraft narrator for Radio 4?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:06 am 

jogirl wrote:
Quarantined wrote:

Absolutely! It might take you a week or two to work out who everybody is, but you will soon get the hang of it! That's one of the good things about it - if you miss an episode here or there you can soon catch up (naysayers will say this is because nothing much ever happens). If you want to do a bit of research first (ha) Wikipedia has a pretty good outline of characters (complete with family trees!). And if you get into it and want to know more of the "history", you could always invest in this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Whos-Who-The-Ar ... 088&sr=8-1

I tend to listen to the nightly episodes, but there is an omnibus version on Sundays as well.

A word of warning: it is definitely a love it or loathe it kind of programme. As you can perhaps tell, I am slightly obsessed, but an awful lot of people find it truly awful!

I just found this thread ... my husband LOVES The Archers ... he listens to it during the week-day in his office (he works for himself), then then listens again at 7:00 p.m. AND he listens to the omnibus on Sunday.

This is a perfectly normal man ... oh wait, how could he be?

He has listened to it all of his life ... he has told me stories of stopping working when writing his doctorate so as not to miss hearing it.

And no ... he is not a doc of media studies ... biology ... ah, mebbe there is some connection there ...