| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Albums of 2013
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:43 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

solipsistnation wrote:
Man. I am really digging the Karl Bartos record.

Yes, I just got this!

Mat.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:48 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

IsaChandra wrote:
Now you can stream the new OMD album!
http://pitchfork.com/advance/57-english-electric/

I like the sound of this, but I haven't quite forgiven Andy McClusky for Atomic Kitten.

Mat.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:37 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yeah.... I listened to the new OMD and I think that listening to it once is enough.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:36 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

LisaPunk wrote:
im completely obsessed with a local New England artist called Lady Lamb the Beekeeper.

she's originally from Portland ME and has played in Boston a lot. i think she lives in Brooklyn now.

she just released her first "official" album but has a few other albums that i guess are mainly bedroom demo recordings.

i highly highly highly HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend the new album Ripely Pine and also the one that came before that called Mammoth Swoon

http://www.ladylambthebeekeeper.com/#!__home

also at some point later this year (no clue when) Throwing Muses is supposed to be releasing a new double album of like 30 songs. i guess maybe this summer?
i will pee myself with glee on the day that comes out.

Not sure where you are from but I just got tickets to go see Lady Lamb May 11th at the Glasslands in Brooklyn. Very excited.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:05 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I didn't know about Depeche Mode and The Knife. Thanks for keeping me up to date PPK!

Just started listening to new Alkaline Trio and Ghost. Ghost's new album isn't officially out, but it's streaming on Pitchfork.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:30 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

i can't stop listening to the new nick cave. i know it's only april but i can safely say it will be my favorite album of 2013.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:46 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Elmo Sexwhistle finally got their act together and recorded and released an album. It's on iTunes today.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:22 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

New The Knife album is out today. I just fired it up, so we'll see. Sounds good for the first minute or so...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:42 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

I probably don't blend well with the musical tastes of most PPKers, but we have Sirius and I love Alt Nation. I actually made a musical tumblr that's mostly alt type stuff. http://musicaloptimism.tumblr.com/

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:38 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Pieter Nooten's new record is on the iTunes and stuff today. It's pretty good.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:15 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Loving The Knife's new album. It's been on repeat since it came out.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:04 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Boards of Canada have released a single track:

That's a pretty promising preview of their album (June 11th in the US).

On the other hand, the new Daft Punk album is boring and derivative, with a couple of decent pop songs but nothing too compelling. I am probably in the minority in this opinion.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:38 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I'm liking the new The National album. Not as much as their others, but I think it's still pretty good. As my dad said: "he could sign over a kazoo and it would still sound good".

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:55 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

New Boards of Canada is out and good. If you like BoC, this is an album by them and thus will not disappoint. (If you see what I mean.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:47 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

solipsistnation wrote:
New Boards of Canada is out and good. If you like BoC, this is an album by them and thus will not disappoint. (If you see what I mean.)

I was coming here to post about this. Better than some of theirs, as good as the rest. Not sure if it's a favorite yet. I'm on my second listen.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:46 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

the new califone album won't come out until september, but it's already my favorite (i heard most of the new songs when they were here in may). they posted one track, and i can't stop playing it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:33 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm enjoying the new Soundgarden album. I guess it came out a few months ago, but I somehow missed it. It isn't the best thing they've ever done, but it sounds a lot like their other stuff, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I read yesterday that the new U2 album is supposed to have a similar sound/feel to Achtung, Baby, so now I'm super excited about that. I haven't loved any of their recent albums as much as I love AB. If they come to Baltimore or DC again, it's probably time to go see them again. I'm still a bit bitter that I had to give up my floor ticket for Elevation, but I couldn't physically do it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:27 am 
Inflexitarian

almiratanner wrote:
I'm liking the new The National album. Not as much as their others, but I think it's still pretty good. As my dad said: "he could sign over a kazoo and it would still sound good".

I've finally 'discovered' The National because of reading a very complimentary review of the new album, and someone on social media linking to "Sea of Love". It's been a pretty swift journey of increasing smitten-ness from there. I do like a baritone voice!

Oh, and where has St. Vincent been all my (adult) life? I've got to know her stuff since she did the "Love This Giant" album and tour with David Byrne and I saw them in January. "Cruel" is... I mean... Yeah, wow.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:37 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I just got the new Bartoli recording of Norma. Will see which side of the "hate/love" fence I end up on. Other rabid Callas fans seem to be liking it though, so maybe I will also.

I like Bartoli, in theory anyway. Her Cenerentola tends to give me a headache, but I appreciate her scholarship and interesting approach--I just don't always like what she sings. Her Casta Diva gave me goosebumps though, which is why I went for it.

I'm super excited that Anna Netrebko has a Verdi album coming out in August. I would much rather a full recording, but I'll take whatever she releases. I wish she would do more Russian stuff or a Trovatore, but I'm sure Traviatas pay better these days. I must have at least 8 Il Trovatore recordings, but never can decide which I prefer (other than wishing that I could get Leontyne Price without having to listen to Placido Domingo).

Does anybody else in here like (real, not pop opera like Bocelli, though there is nothing wrong with that--it just isn't the same) opera? I almost never meet anybody else who does.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:15 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Cher and Goldfrapp have new albums coming! Goldfrapp is far off though. I hope its more like everything except Seventh Tree (bored me).

I didn't buy the new Cher single; am not crazy about it, but will be excited to hear the full album.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:27 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

The Marnie album (Helen Marnie from Ladytron's solo album), is stunning:

Mat.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:50 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I'm officially excited. Sept 23rd, the first full length by Chvrches comes out and judging by the first few songs I've heard, I have a feeling it will be epic. I guess you would call this in the vein of 80's style synth pop like A-Ha, Thompson Twins, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4nS5BYkHow&sns=em

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:15 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I'm officially excited. Sept 23rd, the first full length by Chvrches comes out and judging by the first few songs I've heard, I have a feeling it will be epic. I guess you would call this in the vein of 80's style synth pop like A-Ha, Thompson Twins, etc.

Sorry for the double post, I embedded the link wrong and didn't realize I couldn't erase my original post after re-doing it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:48 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

I will get behind Chvrches...

I did not care for Kanye's album but the new Jay-Z sounds good!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:59 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Tynamite wrote:

Sorry for the double post, I embedded the link wrong and didn't realize I couldn't erase my original post after re-doing it.

Yup I'm quoting myself... Just wanted to add a clip of their other single off the soon to be released album and to say whoohooo that I got tix to see them in NYC Sept 22nd!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next