| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Feminism: books, etc.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:30 pm 
ugh

I'm interested in feminism, but I've never studied it. (Actually, I want to learn more about oppression beyond animals, and this seems like a good place to start.)

What books do you recommend, PPK? Blogs would be cool, too!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

Post subject: Re: Feminism: books, etc.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:33 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Feminist Theory From Margin to Center, bell hooks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:38 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

Well, for awhile I read feministing.com, but I got sick of the vegan hate.

Let's see, let's see...

This is the first Women's Studies textbook I ever had. http://www.amazon.com/Issues-Feminism-I ... 0767416449
And apparently you can get it used for a dollar? Hah, wayyyy less than I paid for it.
I know it looks like the world's most boring textbook, but it was full of history and essays and it completely changed my worldview. That's when I switched from being an English major to a Gender Studies major.

I still like the Feministe blog: http://www.feministe.us/blog/

I enjoyed Naomi Wolf's "The Beauty Myth."

Pleeeeassseee go on YouTube and watch the "Killing Us Softly" documentaries- they analyze sexism in advertising.
Also YouTube "Mickey Mouse Monopoly" for racism and sexism in Disney Films.

When I get home I'll go through my books and see if I have anything fun I can send to you! I'll be home tomorrow and I'll let you know.

eta: Also, I just recommend going to your local bookstore and paging through the Women's Studies section and just seeing if anything interests you.

Last edited by dakini on Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:39 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

mel c wrote:

bell hooks is completely and utterly amazing. A more accessible book to start with may be Feminism is for Everybody

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:11 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

I always enjoy Sisterhood is Powerful. I am also a fan of Andrea Dworkin. Gloria Steinem's essay on working as a playboy bunny is also a good read. I identify as a second wave feminist and you may be looking for more third wave stuff though.

Jean Kilbourne wrote a book called Can't Buy My Love, which is based on her documentaries mentioned above, which is also a good read.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:21 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I really liked the book Yes Means Yes: Visions Of Female Sexual Power and a World Without Rape, its not just about rape in the way you might expect, it has a ton of essays on topics like consent, sex work, slut shaming, fat phobia, and so on.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:42 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

j-dub wrote:
mel c wrote:

bell hooks is completely and utterly amazing. A more accessible book to start with may be Feminism is for Everybody

+1 to this recommendation. Feminism is for everybody is awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:57 am 
ugh

These all look great, thanks everyone! (But don't take my thanks as an "end of thread" notice--I'd love more people to add their favorites. Maybe this thread will be a resource for others interested in feminism as well.)

ETA:
pandacookie wrote:
I identify as a second wave feminist and you may be looking for more third wave stuff though.

I have no idea what the distinctions between waves are so I'm interested in learning about everything.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:37 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

b.vicious wrote:
These all look great, thanks everyone! (But don't take my thanks as an "end of thread" notice--I'd love more people to add their favorites. Maybe this thread will be a resource for others interested in feminism as well.)

ETA:
pandacookie wrote:
I identify as a second wave feminist and you may be looking for more third wave stuff though.

I have no idea what the distinctions between waves are so I'm interested in learning about everything.

Briefly, second wave is around the 1960s/70s and third wave is the mid 80s to present time. Most of the books I mentioned are written in the 70s and the authors would be recognized as from that time. Third wave is the backlash to the less than inclusive nature of second wave but it has never spoken to me personally like the older stuff.
A good place to read brief overviews might be Wikipedia. I don't know how good their entries are but it might give a nice starting point before diving into the books.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:41 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Shy Mox wrote:
I really liked the book Yes Means Yes: Visions Of Female Sexual Power and a World Without Rape, its not just about rape in the way you might expect, it has a ton of essays on topics like consent, sex work, slut shaming, fat phobia, and so on.

It's an amazing read, my book of the year.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:15 am 
Venomous Head of Veganism

mel c wrote:

Yes, and Second Sex and, fork it, Sisterhood is Powerful. Blogs are terrible things that should never have been invented.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:24 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

j-dub wrote:
mel c wrote:

love love love bell hooks.

AND

I essentially worship the ground Inga Muscio walks on. So I would definitely recommend both of these.

- croissant: A Declaration of Independence.
- Autobiography of a Blue-Eyed Devil: My Life and Times in a Racist, Imperialist Society

croissant was the first piece of "feminist" literature I read, I picked it up because I thought it looked interesting and now I have a whole library of books that opened my eyes to things I had just so casually glanced over my entire life.

(I hope you know what croissant means, PM me if you dont... but im sure if you think realllllllllllllll hard you'll figure it out.)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:38 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I third and fourth bell hooks, and yes, especially Feminism is for everybody

Angela Davis' Women, Race & Class

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:59 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

All of the above, with extra big ups to hooks and Dworkin (love/rage), plus some lighter fare:
Global Woman: Nannies, Maids, and Sex Workers in the New Economy (depressing)
A Girl's Guide to Taking Over the World: Writings From The Girl Zine Revolution (uplifting)

Also, I Blame the Patriarchy! Check out the Oppression Culture posts. I am also an avowed fan of Sady at Tiger Beatdown.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:05 pm 
Dildo Queen

right now i'm reading "the purity myth" by jessica valenti. it's quite enjoyable! it's about the use of term "virginity" and the idea of remaning pure, and how women's morality can be based solely on their passivity (what they DON'T do - have sex). does virginity even exist?

she discusses how damaging it is for girls.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:36 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I definitely second (third?) Yes Means Yes. I also wanted to recommend a really good history overview that I read, but I can't remember the title. I'll figure it out and pop back in. ---YES! Got it. The World Split Open by Ruth Rosen. It mostly covers the women's movements of the 60's and 70's and their effects, and I really recommend it. Reading something like Sisterhood is Powerful is awesome, but I definitely was happy to be able to situate it in some kind of historical context, and understand what was happening at the time. I'd also really recommend reading some feminist memoirs, Tales of the Lavender Menace is a good one. She was active in radical feminist groups in the 60's and 70's and writes about a lot of the people/events you'd encounter in Sisterhood is Powerful and other writing from/about the Second Wave. I

As for a little more history, Feminism: The Essential Historical Writings and Feminism in Our Time, both edited by Miriam Schneir, are pretty good readers (one is late 1700's - early 1900's and the other is WWII - Present), they are important essays, writings, pamphlets, etc. with introductions for each one.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:07 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

my Amazon wishlist has just exploded! Looking forward to reading some of these and expanding my feminist library!

Thanks for all the great info!

Anna

I can't think of a single interesting quote to put in this space...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:09 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Another vote for Yes Means Yes, it's seriously an incredible collection. I like the idea of feminist memoirs, as well...I like Zami by Audre Lorde and Wounds of Passion by bell hooks. I also used to subscribe to feministing but got pretty sick of it, however I still read the bisque magazine blog and love it, I think it's worth checking out to get one angle on contemporary feminism.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:25 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Although it is years since I read it, Sexual Politics by Kate Millett had a big effect on me when I was younger. Another good one (though obviously somewhat single-issue) is Fat is a Feminist Issue by Susie Orbach.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:31 am 
So Totally Yiffy

stephanie wrote:

Also, I Blame the Patriarchy! Check out the Oppression Culture posts. I am also an avowed fan of Sady at Tiger Beatdown.

I second IBTP! She's amazing, and I hope she starts writing again. There is a ton of material in the archives. Also, Shulamith Firestone is worth a read. Some of her examples are dated, but the ideas are solid.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:47 am 
ugh

I now have a big list to search for at my library this weekend! Thanks, everyone.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:49 am 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

Oh! My favorite.
http://kateharding.net/
Kate Harding's Shapely Prose.
This is more focused on fat acceptance and body image, which is very relevant to me personally, but it also has a healthy dose of feminist theory and analysis.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:16 am 
Nailed to the V

I don't know what got me to self-identify as a feminist (I'm a dewd) but I'd say bell hooks was the one that really got me to better understand how sexism and racism are related.

I also like Marilyn Frye's birdcage metaphor:
http://www.terry.uga.edu/~dawndba/4500Oppression.html

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:25 am 
So Totally Yiffy

GuiltyofBeingSprite wrote:
I don't know what got me to self-identify as a feminist (I'm a dewd) but I'd say bell hooks was the one that really got me to better understand how sexism and racism are related.

I also like Marilyn Frye's birdcage metaphor:
http://www.terry.uga.edu/~dawndba/4500Oppression.html

Marilyn Frye was my Women's Studies professor! She is awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:34 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Thirding IBTP. She's posted a bit about animal rights in relation to feminism too, though I think originally she wasn't vegetarian.

I went to get out Feminism is for Everybody after reading this thread (have never read bell hooks, been meaning to forever), but my uni library's copy is lost. Boo.

My most recent related read was Feminist Accused of Sexual Harassment, which was really interesting, but I never worked out how much I agreed with her argument (even though I often found myself agreeing at particular points).