| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Top Chef Canada - Season 3
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:20 pm 
WELFARIST!

I just scrolled the TV guide to see the topic of tonight's show and the chefs are going to create vegan meals! We're about four episodes in, anyone else watching with me? Who are your favorite chefs?

So far, I pretty much like everyone except Caity seems kinda bisque-y and difficult and humorless.

Post subject: Re: Top Chef Canada - Season 3
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:25 pm 
WELFARIST!

Also, I really hope they post the recipes of the vegan meals on the Food Network website. I'd love it if they posted all the vegan meals, but maybe they'll at least post the favorites of the judges.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:57 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Vegan meals? So exciting! I hadn't realized it had started...will have to get caught up!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:07 pm 
WELFARIST!

Okay, so the vegan dishes were for the quick fire, which is less exciting than if it was for the elimination challenge, which is a bigger part of the show and more of a to-do. The food most created was pretty predictable: veg salads of the warm and cold variety, a couple of gazpachos, one pasta dish and one dessert that the judge called "granola" so not too impressive. I was most impressed by the pasta dish and that one got special mention as a favorite of the judge but one of the gazpachos was the overall winner. Also, I did not know that George Strombopoulos (sp?) was vegan. (He was the vegan guest judge). Actually, I'm not excited about seeing the recipes after all as there was little protein represented and no one really thought outside the box (to me) and there's no food they made that appealed to me enough to want to make it myself.

Good episode though! Just let me down a little on the vegan front in terms of the dishes themselves and their inventiveness but on the plus side, I'm always excited to see veganism represented in any positive light and this was mostly that, even though the food was too predictable and nothing exciting. I'm just glad to see folks thinking along these lines, at least.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:18 pm 
Chard Martyr

Strombo is vegan?! No way! I can't wait to catch up! I haven't seen any yet.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:55 pm 

I watched the first and second episodes tonight--there are SO many irritating people this year! And I still can't stand Lisa Ray or Chef McEwen. And yet I return every season...

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:58 pm 
Chard Martyr

I feel like they tried to cast it to create more drama this season than Canadian reality shows generally offer. Jonathan is a joke!

Jay and I have both had nightmares about Lisa Ray.

Anyway, I like(d) Clement (vegan mum!), Becky, Dan, and kind of sort of Danny Smiles. Caitlin is a horrible person. I am finding the whole thing pretty entertaining, and the vegan challenge was great! I want to eat Becky's pasta!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:59 am 
WELFARIST!

I really like Becky and Dan, too and Danny Smiles, though he isn't really figuring in the mix right now. I like Kayla too. I rolled my eyes at Jonathan at first and still do (he's soooo pretentious) but he's also likeable, I mean, he wiped Nicole's plates for her and helped her garnish (so did Dan!) and I like that. Oh, and I like Nicole. She's sort of the dark horse in this.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:33 pm 

vijita wrote:
I feel like they tried to cast it to create more drama this season than Canadian reality shows generally offer. Jonathan is a joke!

Anyway, I like(d) Clement (vegan mum!), Becky, Dan, and kind of sort of Danny Smiles. Caitlin is a horrible person. I am finding the whole thing pretty entertaining, and the vegan challenge was great! I want to eat Becky's pasta!

That bit where Caitlin (Katie?) said "I've been to Kayla's restaurant. It's a good place to get wasted after work" was hilarious. God she's awful!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:43 am 
Chard Martyr

j-dub wrote:
vijita wrote:

That bit where Caitlin (Katie?) said "I've been to Kayla's restaurant. It's a good place to get wasted after work" was hilarious. God she's awful!

I know! And what chef anywhere even has time to get wasted after work?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:18 am 
Nailed to the V

I just asked jdfunks if we could watch Top Chef Canada and she told me only if I don't read the thread!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:02 pm 
WELFARIST!

^You should watch, Julia. I'm enjoying this season.

Well, I'm glad Danny Smiles finally had a good showing because he seems like a likeable guy, he just wasn't doing anything notable in the kitchen. But looks like he did an excellent job manning the kitchen and being in charge of everyone without being an overbearing dick. And he adjusted really well to the dietary restrictions they threw at him at the baby shower.

I read this thing about Lisa Ray yesterday, about her having adopoted a plant-based diet now:

Quote:
“I feel wonderful, healthy and strong, I've switched to a plant-based diet and I'm active in a number of exciting projects which I will share over the next few months.”

Also it looks like she's had to resume cancer treatment according to this article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/2013/ ... ancer.html

Hope she's okay! I enjoy her hostessing the show.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:47 pm 
WELFARIST!

Still enjoying this show and haven't missed an episode. Becky turned out to be kind of arrogant and obnoxious. I mean, I appreciate confidence but...hers was more arrogance. It's really hard for her to take criticism, apparently--you can see she really struggles with it. It must be rough to try and be so perfect all the time because she seems kind of miserable. Even Jonathan said something about Becky finally having a "little smile" because she won the quickfire on last night's show.

Right now, I'm voting for Danny Smiles (really like him! He's a class act and seems like a talented chef) and/or Nicole to win. All the other chefs have a lot of respect for Nicole and that she really seems to make consistently good-tasting food.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:30 pm 
Nailed to the V

We're watching! We love Danny Smiles!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:19 pm 
WELFARIST!

So, the guy who won was sort of pegged from the beginning as a frontrunner so I wasn't too surprised. Danny Smiles did awesome though. And I really came to like Jonathan and just the heartbreak in his eyes when he didn't make the final about killed me! Poor guy. He was very classy about it though. I enjoyed this season. Supposedly, they're casting season 4 now so Woot!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:24 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Totally not a surprise who won but who wouldn't root for Danny Smiles?!! (even with the ice cream)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:22 pm 
Tofu Pup

How the chefs take the challenges in Top Chef Seasons 1-6 DVD? Let's have a look!