| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 561 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mad Men Season 6 (no comic spoilers! J/K)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:10 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

annak wrote:
I think characters are allowed to mention previous abortions if they're on cable shows (the SATC episode comes to mind). But I'm trying to think of the last time a character had an abortion and went on with life and it was fine in show real time.

Claire on Six Feet Under had an abortion during the show. That's the only one I can think of.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:40 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

Ya, I did not get that she had an abortion, just the fact that she thought about it was bad enough.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:58 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Joan had two abortions.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:02 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

And on Peggy's first day as part of her orientation, Joan sent her to the doctor for a birth control prescription with the doctor that provides access to abortions. This was the routine intro for secretaries. Megan was a secretary originally so we can assume Joan sent her there as well.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:26 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

missmuffcake wrote:
Allison Brie doing memes (incl. grumpy cat) and falling:
http://www.bust.com/alison-brie-acting- ... memes.html

I like her even more now. Also her last name is my middle name!

This may be the best thing I've ever seen, I'm not sure why.

As for Megan, I don't think she had an abortion, though the secretary orientation is a good point. Still, I think the whole "shame" in that part was simply not being sure if she wanted to be pregnant then having an miscarriage. Even now, in 2013, it's not a stretch that a woman would feel some pretty strong emotions if that happened, so it's not a stretch that in the '60s when abortions were so uncommon that she would feel super guilt.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:30 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I didn't think Megan had an abortion either, but I do think Sylvia may have thought she did and then did her best to passive aggressively shame her about it or even about the idea of considering it. So evil considering what she's doing herself! I think Sylvia is the one who's going to get pregnant...

Also, GO Trudy! She is turning into such a badass, although I think it was always there with her under the surface. I think right now she is not divorcing Pete because she's at the "No, F You we are going to do things MY way now" because she has built the 'perfect' life that she wanted and then when she gets sick of him, she'll kick him to the curb.

And...why are they still SCDP? Anyone thinking that will change to SCDHolloway? Or how about if Peggy comes back as a partner? Curious about that.

Then the men as usual are just screwing up all over the place. Don looked so pathetic at the end; can't even face his 'real' life, which as he was reminded by PFC Dinkins last week, isn't technically his real life.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:43 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Audrey wrote:
I think I've got this straight - Don's mom was a prostitute who died in childbirth. Some lady then dropped him at his father's door (hmm but not sure how they knew he was the father though!), and he was raised by father + stepmother til father got kicked in the head by a horse and died. Stepmother (Abigail) is the pregnant lady from the recent episode.

Ah, right right. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:49 pm 
WELFARIST!

Bananastand wrote:
Audrey wrote:
I think I've got this straight - Don's mom was a prostitute who died in childbirth. Some lady then dropped him at his father's door (hmm but not sure how they knew he was the father though!), and he was raised by father + stepmother til father got kicked in the head by a horse and died. Stepmother (Abigail) is the pregnant lady from the recent episode.

Ah, right right. Thanks!

No, but he was raised by his Aunt and Uncle. Either the Uncle was Don's mother's brother or the Aunt was Don's mother's sister (I think it's the latter).

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:36 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I think they have to, at some point anyway, take Peggy back at SCD. Peggy working elsewhere is too disjointed. I mean, it works for now, but are we really going to care about Peggy's work life down the road?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:45 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

It didn't occur to me that Megan had an abortion. It seems like she was telling the truth. I don't think Sylvia thought she had an abortion, but rather was surprised to learn that Megan and Don still have sex. I think Sylvia became jealous, which surprised herself because maybe she thought she didn't care as much as she actually does. I think she alludes to some Catholic reasoning as to why Megan should feel bad for feeling relieved about the miscarriage, even though both women might not believe in Catholicism any more, to retaliate for her feelings of jealousy.
Also, Degrassi (a Canadian teenage soap-opera type show) had an episode where one of the characters gets an abortion. It was not aired in the US, at least not initially. It's sort of a touching episode really, because the girl's best friend initially does not support her desicion, being the result of a teenage pregnancy herself, but comes around to support her friend at the end of the episode.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:24 am 
Flounceiad 2011

allularpunk wrote:
Bananastand wrote:
Audrey wrote:

Ah, right right. Thanks!

No, but he was raised by his Aunt and Uncle. Either the Uncle was Don's mother's brother or the Aunt was Don's mother's sister (I think it's the latter).
Nope. "Uncle" Mac is the stepmother's sister's lover, who runs the whorehouse. None of these people are actually related to Don, so he's literally "alone" in the world (except for Adam, who at this point in the flashbacks is still a fetus) after his father dies.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:24 pm 
Nooch of Earl

vijita wrote:
I think they have to, at some point anyway, take Peggy back at SCD. Peggy working elsewhere is too disjointed. I mean, it works for now, but are we really going to care about Peggy's work life down the road?

This is kind of how I feel about Betty. Adding another remote storyline isn't great. I'd like to see them drawn back together..

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:18 pm 
WELFARIST!

Desdemona wrote:
Nope. "Uncle" Mac is the stepmother's sister's lover, who runs the whorehouse. None of these people are actually related to Don, so he's literally "alone" in the world (except for Adam, who at this point in the flashbacks is still a fetus) after his father dies.

Ack, so confusing!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:28 pm 
Nooch of Earl

FYSA, I just looked at the uverse episode description for tomorrow and I don't think it is really a spoiler to say that it looks like it will, indeed, be a Joan-featuring-episode. Rejoice, Joan fans!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:27 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

What the hell, Harry? Holy cats. I hope they boot him.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:12 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

joan and dawn, future bffs! also, joan's visiting friend was her former roommate who was in love with her, right?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:18 am 
Saggy Butt

I find the showing-absolutely-nothing "on the next Mad Men" promos so frustrating. Give me a taste, for chrissakes!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:27 am 
WELFARIST!

Totally forgot to watch last night. crepe.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:26 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I really hope they keep giving Dawn big scenes. I love her!

The look on Don's face when the other couple was proposing a foursome, or whatever, was priceless. And the interaction between him and Megan in the cab afterward was really good too.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:04 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I would love for Dawn to become a bigger character.

Don is such a hypocritical scumbag. That's pretty much all I have to say about that.

Harry is so gross. I just really don't like him. Maybe it's because he's a misogynistic pig with a disproportionate sense of entitlement. I hope he does get fired.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:08 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

rachell37 wrote:
I would love for Dawn to become a bigger character.

Don is such a hypocritical scumbag. That's pretty much all I have to say about that.

Harry is so gross. I just really don't like him. Maybe it's because he's a misogynistic pig with a disproportionate sense of entitlement. I hope he does get fired.

I agree that Harry is a scumbag, but he is right that what he is doing is important and he probably should be a partner.

I used to like Don even though he was an asparagus, not so much anymore, he just seems pathetic. It seems like the end of each episode is Don feeling bad for himself because of what he is doing, I can't remember if he was with Sylvia right before he sat in the hall last week, but the first week and last night he was with Sylvia and I feel like they both have expressed regret at being together. There is also a lot of mentioning "love" and it seems like there is no love for any of these people.

I love Stan.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:13 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I felt that Don and Megan's cab ride conversation was maybe the first real interaction they've had. And yeah, that whole scene was funny.

Geeksweetheart, I'm so there with you on the trailers. When they come on I'm always let down and I should know better by now.

I miss sassy Joan and want to trade in bitter bisque-y Joan. I get why she went all crazy on the timecard thing - its the only operational aspect she feels she can control (IMO). I don't feel bad that she still feels like a secretary. If she wants to be treated as a partner she has to figure out a way to legitly evolve her position so that others recognize her smarts. And I actually do think she's smart and can succeed as a leader, but I don't know if she quite thought through her role before she, uh, got promoted.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:40 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

emmalv wrote:
I miss sassy Joan and want to trade in bitter bisque-y Joan. I get why she went all crazy on the timecard thing - its the only operational aspect she feels she can control (IMO). I don't feel bad that she still feels like a secretary. If she wants to be treated as a partner she has to figure out a way to legitly evolve her position so that others recognize her smarts. And I actually do think she's smart and can succeed as a leader, but I don't know if she quite thought through her role before she, uh, got promoted.

maybe joan will end up promoting dawn to her old position of managing all the secretaries so she can focus on being partner. they didn't really hire anybody to replace her once she was promoted, so no wonder she still feels like a secretary.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:44 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Good point!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:48 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I feel kind of guilty for saying this, but so far I'm just not loving this season. And I can't quite articulate why. Season 5 was so amazing, but none of the story lines this season are captivating me.

And what the fizzle Harry, I always liked you, way to be a jerk.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 561 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next